PDA

View Full Version : Idea! Difficult-mode PvE sanctioned by CZE

Barkam
08-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Edit 1: Using "Feat" instead of "Achievement" to paint a more accurate pic

Introduction:
So I have been playing Cardhunter a lot. It is a great game. Best CCG I played so far. For those that don't know, you create a deck of cards based on the equipment that your characters wear. At any rate, that game also has single-player PvE campaign comprised of many "dungeons". After you complete the PvE campaign the game unlocks 4 more ways of beating each "dungeon." The normal way of beating the dungeon is that you can use any legal card. With the unlocks they apply restrictions on how you can beat the game. For example, "No deaths", "All characters only has 1 HP," "Only use wizards," etc.

Idea:
As described above PvE campaign can have extended replayability if CZE has the restrictions below because it forces people to play the dungeon differently. And with Feats, sleeves, badges, playmats linked to these, people has incentive to do them. Here are some off the top of my head.

"Pauper" - Only use commons
"There can only be one" - Must use Highlander deck
"Bourgeois" - Only use uncommons
"Aristocrat" - Only use rares
"Monochromatic" - Must use monocolor deck (one achievement for each color)
"Snowflake" - Only use unique cards
"Deathmatch - No respawns
"Lucky" - No mulligans
your ideas

I want to add your ideas to the list. Please contribute!

I think sleeves and/or playmats with artwork linked to the Feats would be a great way to showcase the Feats! Or badges linked to the Feats can be donned on your play mat to showcase them!

Kami
08-17-2013, 02:12 PM
They've already stated Highlander would be one of the modes.

While the ideas are interesting, I'm not sure I see the value in having that many modes. If you have multiple dungeons, replaying them that many times would quickly become tedious.

Wolfe
08-17-2013, 02:24 PM
I like it! I think it would give us some incentives to come back and try old content again and again. It would also help bring us out of our comfort zone and make us try different types of decks. I am probably going to be grinding these dungeons leveling my mercs and looking for specific drops. This would really help make it more fun. Before I go hit this dungeon for the 10th time, I can go to the deck editor and try to construct a Sapphire-only deck this time based on my past experiences with the dungeon.

Barkam
08-17-2013, 02:25 PM
These are optional and the achievements/sleeves/badges are the incentive for doing them. I figured dungeons will be farmed. I might as well get some achievements and vanity stuff while I am at it.

The greatest value will be experienced by the CZE staff because they can extend the life of their dungeons for minimal effort. The players get value because they have more things to strive for.

Maphalux
08-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Like Barkam mentioned, you're going to end up running the dungeons multiple times anyway to grind out the PvE cards and equipment you are looking for. Might as well make it interesting.

I like these ideas. I'd love to see a pauper difficulty (all commons).

zadies
08-17-2013, 03:06 PM
I can even endorse this idea and I tend to take the opposite side that most other posters seem to.

locust
08-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Pauper, Higlander and Monochromatic seem like a good idea.

the only rares and unique cards . . . not so much... weird decks, and hard to make them work.. would be a royal pain i think.

Maybe some dungeons in "hard mode" could have some kind of 2 v 1 experience, were we would have to beat two foes.
The enemy gets some sort of extra buff every turn or something like that.
Enemy troops being +1/+1 stronger, or his cards costing -1 . This are just some ideas.

zadies
08-17-2013, 03:25 PM
The idea of it being a royal pain is what makes it interesting as an achievement.

Kami
08-17-2013, 03:42 PM
The idea of it being a royal pain is what makes it interesting as an achievement.

True.

At the same time, they'll be adding more and more dungeons. Even at launch, they'll have at least 40 dungeons and each dungeon has multiple 'sections'.

In order to 'achieve' everything, you'd have to play through dungeons for just four modes, 160 times (and let's say each dungeon has ten encounters for 1600 matches).

What happens when you have 80 dungeons? 120 dungeons?

You basically would force people to go through a long and arduous path in order to achieve 100%. Drafts and tournaments will take up a lot of time amongst other events too.

This would be okay for those with a LOT of free time but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. I'm okay with just having one other mode which CZE has already stated (Highlander) but too many and it's just a cheap way of forcing players to increase their gameplay time. I'd rather see new content, not the same stuff repeatedly just with a slightly different restriction.

Think of it this way: If there were no achievements, would you play through all the dungeons that many times under various restrictions stated above, would you think it was fun?

zadies
08-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Your trying to complete both PvE and PvP they are really two separate entities in most peoples minds there has to be enough content for just people who are doing PvE to keep them playing. They have also stated that PvE is not being on the same set timeline as PvP so knowing when another dungeon is coming out after launch is a huge unknown.
Most achievement hunters like the fact that there are achievements that will take them years to accomplish. If you can get all achievements in 6 months regardless of actually having to strive for them there is an issue there is no sense of actual accomplishment it isn't something that EVERYONE has to get everything it's there to encourage a certain group to play the game.
Given I want a full playset of every card if my goal is not to spend any money on the game then in all likelihood I would have to play through the dungeons that many times if rare loot is actually rare.

Punk
08-17-2013, 04:00 PM
I kinda skimmed through this, as it seemed like a pretty straight forward idea.. and I like it. Having additional rewards or achievements unlocked from doing these different game play modes per dungeon could definitely boost the replay-ability factor beyond whatever the default is.

Kami
08-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Most achievement hunters like the fact that there are achievements that will take them years to accomplish. If you can get all achievements in 6 months regardless of actually having to strive for them there is an issue there is no sense of actual accomplishment it isn't something that EVERYONE has to get everything it's there to encourage a certain group to play the game.

I can fully understand that. My point was that playing through the dungeons under arbitrary restrictions like that multiple times is not inherently fun. Hence why I asked if anyone would want to do it without achievements.

Achievements should come naturally and feel 'organic' and even epic. Something like winning 1,000,000 matches or defeating every raid boss with a two-man team (or less). Those are already time consuming and challenging but they can eventually be earned without having to grind it out.

Stuff that people will go: "Wow! I can't believe you pulled that off!" instead of: "Meh, you just had a lot of free time."

I'm not stating that there shouldn't be good achievements. I'm arguing against the idea that 'grind' type achievements that would not naturally be earned through a normal playthrough of the game (i.e. win x matches, conquering all dungeons, etc.) should be implemented. In this case, replaying a dungeon multiple times with no other difference than the deck you have to use.

I don't have any issues if you were to pick specific dungeons or quests/events where you'd have to beat it in a specific and challenging fashion but I'm against a general cart-blanche method of doing this. It needs forethought.

zadies
08-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Things that are earned through normal game play aren't goals for achievement hunters. They are things doled out in increments that basically say yeah I play the game there is not challenge to them. Having to do something SPECIAL is what actually makes it an achievement vs meh.
There are a number of meh achievements that are there for people who just play games to get their gold stars which are the things your talking about. They aren't something actually hunted for.

Hemlock
08-17-2013, 04:20 PM
I like the idea well enough! Seems like it would add plenty of content for those who would be interested in this sort of thing, with only a marginal amount of work for CZE.

My only worry is that it might make the PVE game seem a bit clogged. There's something attractive in the simplicity of only having Highlander mode.

Maphalux
08-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Achievements for this sort of thing would be awesome but I'd do it even if it didn't. I'm the type of person who likes to turn up the difficulty a notch just to see if I can do it.

gohan661
08-17-2013, 04:48 PM
I like this idea, it's kinda like the MoSTF or MoRSF in CoH/V they were fun. I think this game needs badges added to the account/hero rather than just the cards. The do nothing but you can collect them all. I was an avid badge collector in CoH/V

Barkam
08-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Achievements should come naturally and feel 'organic' and even epic. Something like winning 1,000,000 matches or defeating every raid boss with a two-man team (or less). Those are already time consuming and challenging but they can eventually be earned without having to grind it out.

Stuff that people will go: "Wow! I can't believe you pulled that off!" instead of: "Meh, you just had a lot of free time."

I'm not stating that there shouldn't be good achievements. I'm arguing against the idea that 'grind' type achievements that would not naturally be earned through a normal playthrough of the game (i.e. win x matches, conquering all dungeons, etc.) should be implemented. In this case, replaying a dungeon multiple times with no other difference than the deck you have to use.

I disagree that achievements should be awarded by just playing the game. The video game industry has bastardized the meaning of "achievements." Or maybe that's more of the current culture that everyone should win... anyways I digress. Achievements should be awarded to those people that actually perform feats outside of the norm. Maybe I should rename my thread to feats instead so people can have a better picture of what I am talking about. My whole goal with the achievements, now named feats, is to garner the remarks you said above. I also want to show off that I did an "impossible". Hence the badges, sleeves, etc. I think we are on the same page, but I think you are just overwhelmed with the different kind of decks.

I don't have any issues if you were to pick specific dungeons or quests/events where you'd have to beat it in a specific and challenging fashion but I'm against a general cart-blanche method of doing this. It needs forethought.

This is why I presented the idea so that we can flesh it out.

dogmod
08-17-2013, 05:25 PM
I think saying "would anyone do this if it wasn't achievement" and the answer would be a resounding yes. There are people for whom the deck building aspect of the game is as much a fun part of the game as the actual playing. Achievements are as much a playing challenge as a deck building challenge as a card collecting challenge (how are you going to beat the dungeon with a Ruby Highlander deck if you don't have enough ruby cards?). No one will be forced to do achievements but for those who want to it will be fun and for those who like to have the game set challenges in front of them (and after all isn't that what a game is at its core level?) they will have more challenges to pursue.

I understand the sentiment that they could go overboard with the minute details of each "challenge" and that they should focus on the more "fun" challenges but challenges there must be!

Here was my idea (from: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G_ekhon1GYf3OgtXlFAuFonHkbDCxMiI_HTaryRgXhc/edit?usp=sharing)

Achievements Awesomeation

You could really add a boost to end gaming if they made achievements even more chasey and something that EVERYONE would want to do to some degree, not just the completionists.

The idea is that for completing a dungeons achievements on regular mode you get a deck sleeve. For completing the dungeon on heroic you get a new game board. For completing ALL of the achievements for the dungeon, raid, on normal and heroic you unlock the dungeons raid boss as a mercenary. Who wouldn't want the kraken as their mercenary? Obviously the abilities would be tuned etc. But what would be a more awesome way to represent your achievement then being able to play with a dungeon boss as your merc. Alternate art cards could be thrown into the mix somehow. To get a whole playset you would have to trade with 3 other people who have completed all of the achievements.

Some really cool stuff that would be available to anyone who plays the game at no cost but would add some really fun end game mechanics without negatively impacting the economy.

Yoss
08-17-2013, 09:41 PM
For "only use uncommons", maybe call it "Bourgeois" (to go with Pauper for commons and maybe Aristocrat for rares).

I like the OP idea. Once implemented it adds tons of optional extra gaming hours for every dungeon and raid they release. An MMO should have more content than anyone can reasonably complete. (Everyone should be able to complete all the primary story elements, but having tons of side quests and alt-modes is great to make sure people always have something new to work on.)

Gorgol
08-18-2013, 12:45 AM
I like this a lot.

lite
08-18-2013, 01:54 AM
and for the thrill: Iron Man :)

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-18-2013, 02:00 AM
I'm all for achievements, particularly ones with cool rewards that are hard to do. One of my proudest parts of WoW was getting to walk around for years after 80-Naxx with the Immortal title, being able to show off a bit as my reward for doing it.

Barkam
08-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Achievements Awesomeation

You could really add a boost to end gaming if they made achievements even more chasey and something that EVERYONE would want to do to some degree, not just the completionists.

The idea is that for completing a dungeons achievements on regular mode you get a deck sleeve. For completing the dungeon on heroic you get a new game board. For completing ALL of the achievements for the dungeon, raid, on normal and heroic you unlock the dungeons raid boss as a mercenary. Who wouldn't want the kraken as their mercenary? Obviously the abilities would be tuned etc. But what would be a more awesome way to represent your achievement then being able to play with a dungeon boss as your merc. Alternate art cards could be thrown into the mix somehow. To get a whole playset you would have to trade with 3 other people who have completed all of the achievements.

Some really cool stuff that would be available to anyone who plays the game at no cost but would add some really fun end game mechanics without negatively impacting the economy.

This is a great reward system! Not sure about having to trade with people to get a whole playset though for AA cards.

Barkam
08-18-2013, 04:19 PM
I am glad to see that you all want to see this in the game. I hope CZE will take this idea to further flesh out their Heroic mode with the highlander deck.

Barkam
08-18-2013, 04:19 PM
For "only use uncommons", maybe call it "Bourgeois" (to go with Pauper for commons and maybe Aristocrat for rares).

I updated the OP to reflect your good suggestions. Thanks!

felmare
08-18-2013, 04:22 PM
i would def. be down for this.

Stok3d
08-18-2013, 07:16 PM
@OP: I really like your ideas. However, as Kami mentioned, I too agree that this is too much for a "per dungeon" chieve system. Instead, I'd be supportive of this as chieves tied to maybe a set of dungeons released maybe during a particular set.

Essentially, you could have the achievement Aristocrat for example and your achievements would note the date and the +points earned. However, when you click on this achievement, it will expand drop down and show the amount of times you attained it (as it could possibly be eligible again during each new set. It's been said that new sets will rotate dungeons in and out of existence. That's how I would tweak it to make it better fit imo.

However, it's true that Highlander has a set life for being the obvious choice for "Hardcore Mode". Eventually in say a couple blocks, there will be enough different cards with similar mechanics that the difficulty of highlander is diminished. For instance, how many direct damage or creature removal cards do you think we'll have in a few years time? The cards must be sets one way or another. It's just something to chew on...

Yoss
08-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Borguiose
Try "Bourgeois"

Kingrags
08-19-2013, 05:09 AM
Loving this. I know I'd love to replay dungeons under different conditions regardless of what the reward is.

Also it seems like its minimal effort for CZE for tons of extra content. Loving it

Yoss
08-20-2013, 12:54 PM
@OP: I really like your ideas. However, as Kami mentioned, I too agree that this is too much for a "per dungeon" chieve system. Instead, I'd be supportive of this as chieves tied to maybe a set of dungeons released maybe during a particular set.
Why not make it a standard thing for all new content? They'd be getting many hours of "free" content added on to everything they publish.

zadies
08-20-2013, 02:33 PM
I think some people don't get that having more content then someone playing less then ten hours a day is needed for an mmo and are looking at it from a then I can't get everything so no one should have the option.

Gulbech
08-20-2013, 02:46 PM
This is really great. I am not usual an achivement hunter, but would defently try the challge to complete some dungeons this way.

You should also add an hardcore mode, where you cant mulligan and die lose during the dungeon.

Yoss
08-20-2013, 05:21 PM
You should also add an hardcore mode, where you cant mulligan and die lose during the dungeon.
This could actually be two separate modes as well.
1. No respawns = "Deathmatch"
2. No mulligans = "Lucky"

And, you made me think, they could do all sorts of combo-hard.
Player A: "I beat it Monochromatic Pauper Highlander Deathmatch style!"
Player B: "Yeah, well, I beat it Monochromatic Pauper Snowflake Deathmatch style!"

dogmod
08-20-2013, 05:37 PM
This could actually be two separate modes as well.
1. No respawns = "Deathmatch"
2. No mulligans = "Lucky"

And, you made me think, they could do all sorts of combo-hard.
Player A: "I beat it Monochromatic Pauper Highlander Deathmatch style!"
Player B: "Yeah, well, I beat it Monochromatic Pauper Snowflake Deathmatch style!"

How sweet would it be to grind away on a dungeon to finish all the achieves and then get to play with the Kraken as your mercenary? I for one think this would be great. And you need to have things like this to keep the hardcore going. Eventually the raids just aren't going to cut it for some people.

Kami
08-20-2013, 06:05 PM
How's this for a difficult mode:

Complete an entire dungeon starting with only 40hp (or less depending on difficulty). :)

dogmod
08-20-2013, 07:20 PM
How's this for a difficult mode:

Complete an entire dungeon starting with only 40hp (or less depending on difficulty). :)

Pretty nice idea although if you are going to do that you would have to make it so lifegain didn't work on that run or something if you are persisting the life total eh?

keldrin
08-21-2013, 12:26 AM
Actually its a cool idea.
My thought on it, is each dungeon raid having something like 3 or 4 achievement type modes.
There could be all the different modes people mentioned. But at different dungeons or raids.
This way, there's not a insurmountable amount of modes for each dungeon/raid. And if you want the achievements, you would get forced to choose between the different modes for the specific dungeon/raid.
It seems to me, that would keep the modes more interesting, rather than being a blanket approach for this. And new modes, and variations on the modes could be easily implemented for new content, and not make you feel you have to constantly back track to the older content to complete the new blanket modes. Also, it could allow for more story line, or dungeon specific modes.

Yoss
08-21-2013, 09:06 AM
This way, there's not a insurmountable amount of modes for each dungeon/raid.
But I WANT it to be insurmountable to anyone who doesn't play 100 hours per week! (Not joking. And no, I won't be playing 100 hours per week.)

Having more content than any sane person can complete is a GOOD thing.

Lockon
08-21-2013, 09:51 AM
It's been said that new sets will rotate dungeons in and out of existence. That's how I would tweak it to make it better fit imo.

Wait, rotate OUT of existence? I don't like that at all. I'd hate to find that I have this dungeon that I just love, but it's been removed just when I want to go back and play it again.

zadies
08-21-2013, 10:32 AM
New cards will trivialize content I'm all for them rotating things out as long as they come back better balanced for the new meta at some point.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-21-2013, 10:45 AM
I will say that WoW has a huuuge amount of achievements, with a lot, if not most of them being very, very easy to do things (or easy tasks that just take a while like /kissing wild critters and stuff). While some people aren't really interested in this kind of thing, there are certainly those players that like, believe it or not, competing to be top dog in achievements. Back when they were quite new (last patch before Wrath I believe) and until I left in early Wrath I was very high up on the server, and it was nice to be seeking out the harder to do achievements to try and get the edge on the competition (we were all quite friendly with each other - we had a similar interest in achievements, so we had both camaraderie and rivalry).

Yoss is totally right - more achievements than many/most people could actually complete isn't a bad thing.

Also, tough achievements rewarding sweet vanity stuff is good. Doing all the heroic achievements in WoW dungeons/raids nets you pretty sweet mounts. Some AA cards or sleeves would be a great reward for doing all the dungeon hard modes (as long as they don't go overboard with how long they'd take to do; they should be within the realms of obtaining within a few weeks for a dedicated player).

Barkam
08-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Yeah, one way to implement it is that each dungeon can have a different set of hard modes that needs to be beaten to get the achievement and reward.

I was actually hoping that some of the modes to be soooo hard that when you see someone with that badge, it would actually mean something. No one really bothers to show off and talk about the automatic achievements.

I totally forgot that they were going to rotate out dungeons based on sets. This actually adds a very nice layer to this achievement structure. There will be achievements that would be rare because the dungeon won't be available anymore. It makes that achievement even more special. Although, if people don't have access to the dungeon, they won't appreciate exactly how amazing it was to be able to beat the dungeon 4 different ways; with a Pauper deck, Highlander deck, Snowflake deck and Deathmatch. I hope there would be some permanence on the dungeons.

Kolokee
08-22-2013, 01:58 AM
+1

Kami
08-22-2013, 05:28 AM
Yoss is totally right - more achievements than many/most people could actually complete isn't a bad thing.

I agree, but I think that more thought should be put into achievements as opposed to just complete dungeons X times with X modes. It should be something unique and worth earning - not just a grind-type.

As mentioned before as an example, something like: Defeat a Raid Boss with two or less players.

Kingrags
08-22-2013, 05:44 AM
I agree, but I think that more thought should be put into achievements as opposed to just complete dungeons X times with X modes. It should be something unique and worth earning - not just a grind-type.

As mentioned before as an example, something like: Defeat a Raid Boss with two or less players.

I agree, none of the extra modes for a dungeon shall feel like a grind.

Highlander,
Life is permanently lost between matches,
Play only with commons,
... Can't think of more now... has to be a lot more though (probably written in this thread, haven't read the entire thing today.

None of the above feels like a grind to me and I'd love to do em for every dungeon I like

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-22-2013, 06:05 AM
Well what was cool about the wow "glory of the dungeon"/"glory of the raider" type achievements is that they asked you to do sometimes quirky, sometimes difficult things to get them, and then getting them all resulted in the really nice vanity reward. Like, defeating a boss in a limited amount of time (I remember going for and getting "Gotta Go!" in the first few weeks of Wrath, where it was difficult as *fark* even for people in a relatively good amount of Naxx gear, and after a few sessions lasting a few hours, we finally got it and were very pleased to be riding around on our red protos - and then when we finally got Immortal for Naxx-25 and got the black protos, we were proud as peacocks).

So a lot of dungeon/raid achievements (if such are implemented) should be challenging and/or quirky. As an example with a similar concept to the immortal style achievement - complete a run of every dungeon without losing a match/game (I do believe encounters/matches in dungeons are going to be single game, so the difference is probably going to be moot). Another achievement, preferably for a dungeon where it flavourfully fits, would be to complete a dungeon without using any actions.

Another one that might work well with that werewolf/mafia style dungeon would be something along the lines of "even-handed judge", where a player is not allowed to use a spell or ability that will destroy an opposing troop until the werewolf has been unveiled (cards like Inner Conflict would still be allowed, as that simply pacifies the troop instead of mercilessly killing it ;-)). In the same dungeon, they could also have an achievement along the lines of "perfect private eye", for correctly guessing the werewolf with your first guess.

Flavour + challenge/quirk + vanity rewards for getting a potentially difficult set of achievements (or at least a set that contains some difficult achieves) is a good system IMO.

vickrpg
08-22-2013, 06:09 AM
Nobody suggested this yet? It seems so obvious to me:

Complete PVE dungeons by using PVP cards only. No PvE or Equipment in your deck. if the system allows for it, PVP champion too.

now THAT'd be hard mode.

Kingrags
08-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Nobody suggested this yet? It seems so obvious to me:

Complete PVE dungeons by using PVP cards only. No PvE or Equipment in your deck. if the system allows for it, PVP champion too.

now THAT'd be hard mode.

I myself like that. But I have and will spend more money on the game. Ppl might consider this a paywall for PVE I guess...

zadies
08-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Also given how the game could be balanced around needing equipment/champions at lv 60 it might not be possible

EntropyBall
08-22-2013, 08:14 AM

I don't see this as a problem. It just adds more "content" if you have these goals set out in every dungeon, and I imagine people are going to want to play the dungeons through several times anyway, for the equipment drops. With these challenges, it goes from "grinding for loot" to "attempting a new challenge and getting loot along the way".

They can also just have "Heroic" dungeons where the AI is much more difficult. I'm not sure if this is already a plan or not, but having multiple AI difficulties seems like a pretty standard thing. Not sure (obviously) how the top-level AI works, but you could have a level that is quite unfair and knows the order of its entire deck and/or your entire deck.

Yoss
08-22-2013, 11:23 AM

Since every dungeon is different, even a standard list of hard modes would actually feel quite different in each instance. At least for me, it doesn't sound like a grind.

dogmod
08-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Since every dungeon is different, even a standard list of hard modes would actually feel quite different in each instance. At least for me, it doesn't sound like a grind.

I think there should be a certain standard set, and each dungeon should have subsets of achievements. Whenever I came up with a dungeon idea I would think about achievements that would go along with that specific dungeon as well. A mix of standard and specific would work best if you ask me.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Here's some more for my desired "glory of the dungeoneer" style achievement:

From that dwarven supervillain one, something like:
"Alpha and Omega" - complete the dwarven supervillain dungeon using a dwarven artifact deck (a dwarven artifact deck must contain a combined total of at least 24 dwarves and artifacts).
"You call THAT a doomsday device?!?" - defeat the final boss of the dungeon by only dealing damage with Argus, Herald of Doom.

dogmod
08-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Here's some more for my desired "glory of the dungeoneer" style achievement:

From that dwarven supervillain one, something like:
"Alpha and Omega" - complete the dwarven supervillain dungeon using a dwarven artifact deck (a dwarven artifact deck must contain a combined total of at least 24 dwarves and artifacts).
"You call THAT a doomsday device?!?" - defeat the final boss of the dungeon by only dealing damage with Argus, Herald of Doom.

"Anything you can do I can do better" - Void boss's argus of doom with your own

Gulbech
08-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Like a lot of these ideas. They could make a couple of fun achivements for each dungoen who fits the style fo the dungeon, so if they are different for each dungeons you have to think and not just use your best single card deck, or common deck, but make something to beat each dungoen - lots of challenge, much better then grinding.

dogmod
08-22-2013, 12:52 PM
On top of giving people rewards for completing all the achievements you could boost loot drops on a dungeon run where you completed a hard achievement X2 or X3... more incentive and adds a fun chasey element and a more immediate reward.

Ideas I had in the past:

High scores on dungeons (Least health lost, most damage done, highest momentum obtained, etc)

Foil only competitions (could make it foil only achievements in dungeons)

Using unused resources each turn count towards.. achievement (make it through a dungeon with 100 unused resources, or do it without wasting resources "waste not want not") ... leveling up a “pet” or card

Aldazar
08-26-2013, 12:47 AM
Big fan of this idea!

I'm not sure about the objection on the grounds of creating too much "required" grind on each dungeon, as it's not really required, it's totally optional... If you're a completionist, well then yes, you have to work far beyond what most "normal" people would consider "reasonable", and that's as it should be! As others have pointed out, we don't want it so that everyone and their dog can get 100% achievements (or even 75%?).

Regardless, as a potential compromise, you don't need every dungeon to have every single achievement available - the devs can choose, say, 2-3 achievements for each dungeon (maybe thematically appropriate or especially difficult?), as well as 1 or 2 "combo" achievements for fulfilling the requirements of multiple achievements in one run (should be really challenging - this will be the major differentiator between hardcore achievement hunters and people who just play through and get achievements here and there).

Lastly, I really like the idea of having cross-dungeon meta-achievements (is that the right word?) whereby, for example, if you complete every dungeon in a defined set (thematically defined? story defined? all dungeons released in a certain "expansion"?) with a certain achievement (eg Highlander), you get an additional achievement for doing so...