PDA

View Full Version : Alpha in a few weeks

redyetiking
08-17-2013, 08:46 PM
as stated in the Kickstarter update 42 "you heard that Cory confirmed alpha at the end of September. So, you'll have the alpha version of HEX in your hands in just a few weeks."

Are you ready? I would like to also know if we are going to get our Kickstarter rewards in alpha? Or are we going to just get a set amount of packs or premades to work with?

MoikPEI
08-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Last I read, Alpha is just PvP, just what we've been seeing in the twitch streams and what was up at GenCon, but with more cards. Most KS rewards are PvE, which isn't accessible until beta. I've heard both that we will and won't have KS rewards during beta. Pretty certain Alpha is just for name reservation, guild reservation, and sneak peek at the game.

Chiany
08-17-2013, 08:59 PM
They have said this, but what is a few?
I for one expect Alpha in the last week of September, should it come earlier, it's another upside.

Shadowelf
08-18-2013, 02:26 AM
Alpha access was unlocked during the KS and offers all backers early access to the game, character name reservation and guild creation.You'll be able to register your account name, create your guilds, and play an early alpha version of HEX before anybody else. The devs then will be proceed to wipe your Alpha process before allow beta to begin. Beta will be where the fun begins; you will get access to your rewards, be able to trade/sell/buy stuff, play pvp/pve and generally a good taste of the game before launch.

Alpha will only offer pvp; the kind of pvp offered is all speculation at the moment. There are those that believe that we will only play with preconstructed decks, and those that believe that alpha will be offered for testing, and therefore a larger portion of game features will be available. I belong in the former group, therefore I believe that will only get a look at the game. Beta will be different; it will be way longer for starters (3 months or more), more pvp formats will be unlocked (draft) and we also get the chance to play pve, as there will one dungeon available; the arena (http://hextcg.com/enter-the-arena/)

For further questions check http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26987

KiraForce
08-18-2013, 06:14 AM
They have said this, but what is a few?
I for one expect Alpha in the last week of September, should it come earlier, it's another upside.

Well, confirmation was "end of September. Meaning either the last week, or the one before. As you said, earlier is gravy, but we can expect it during the second half.

hex_colin
08-18-2013, 10:35 AM
I would like to also know if we are going to get our Kickstarter rewards in alpha? Or are we going to just get a set amount of packs or premades to work with?

We talked to Cory about this on Thursday. No KS rewards in Alpha. However, IIRC, the current plan is that everyone will get 4 of every card, and lots of platinum to try out the store, etc.

keroko
08-18-2013, 10:38 AM
punch punch punch, kick kick stab rabbit. train it up in the 9th burrowden. not too long.

Xtopher
08-18-2013, 11:09 AM
When trying to minimize a number, a rule of thumb is "a few" is anything less than 10. So, end of September falls in that range.

MoikPEI
08-18-2013, 11:11 AM
We talked to Cory about this on Thursday. No KS rewards in Alpha. However, IIRC, the current plan is that everyone will get 4 of every card, and lots of platinum to try out the store, etc.
>every card
>try out the store
In... Alpha? Not Beta?

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-18-2013, 11:12 AM
That'd be super sweet - it'd be nice to start testing out any deck types we can think of (and, yknow, catch any relevant bugs or potentially broken synergies/combos) right off the bat. I'd certainly give a kudos to CZE if that's the case, though I wouldn't be disappointed even if we just got some precons to play with each other; I never expected too much from the alpha. ^^

Zarien
08-18-2013, 11:35 AM
>every card
>try out the store
In... Alpha? Not Beta?

Yeah probably only alpha. I think the intention is still to give everyone most of their kick starter rewards and slacker backer during the beta.

MoikPEI
08-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Oh, I mean I'm surprised we're getting that much in Alpha and it isn't waiting for Beta.
Like, I wouldn't have expected a storefront at all in Alpha. That's a shock to me. I'm used to that being near the last.

majin
08-18-2013, 11:59 AM

hope this will be the case so we can thoroughly test it out before beta

Mr.Funsocks
08-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Oh, I mean I'm surprised we're getting that much in Alpha and it isn't waiting for Beta.
Like, I wouldn't have expected a storefront at all in Alpha. That's a shock to me. I'm used to that being near the last.

Not any more. Most video games with a storefront now start taking cash as soon as they can. Partly because it's the absolute most important part of the game to have work right (from both the players' perspective and the developers' perspective) and because, well... money.

Zarien
08-18-2013, 12:53 PM

Well since they probably want to make platinum available in beta, they'll need to test it, which is probably why they would give us platinum to play around with in alpha. That and the plat lets us test their pvp drafts and such.

Facilier
08-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Can't come soon enough.

locust
08-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Well that sounds sweet!! would love to see some tournaments were they would give us small rewards (altered art cards, or 1 unique card etc) for winning a tournament. That would be good to determine if there is a very dominant deck or archtipe pre-beta.

Madican
08-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Four of every cards sounds awesome. Best way to find the holes in a system is give the players everything they need to break it.

Shadowelf
08-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Well that sounds sweet!! would love to see some tournaments were they would give us small rewards (altered art cards, or 1 unique card etc) for winning a tournament. That would be good to determine if there is a very dominant deck or archtipe pre-beta.

Even if we are given 4 each card and plat at alpha, i bet that the wipe still stands ; the only rewards i can hope (if any) besides those of KS, will be at beta perhaps as a commemorative of participation.

Mathaw
08-18-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm a slacker backer and I literally can't wait. Can't imagine how the KS backers feel (other than smug with all their loot).

Kami
08-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Can't imagine how the KS backers feel (other than smug with all their loot).

"I can't wait... I can't wait... I can't wait..."

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Jim-Carey_Excited.gif

Shadowelf
08-18-2013, 02:19 PM
"I can't wait... I can't wait... I can't wait..."

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Jim-Carey_Excited.gif

:)

Creating an account with shaking hands, logging in with blurry vision, and tremendous effort not to pass out for me :p

Xenavire
08-18-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm a slacker backer and I literally can't wait. Can't imagine how the KS backers feel (other than smug with all their loot).

Well, I can sum it up - The start of alpha is gotten me as excited and emotional as Christmas got me about 15 years ago. It is basically one of the biggest events in my whole year, dwarfed only by a new Pokemon game coming out weeks later - the whole period of time between late september and mid October is going to be some sort of living dream for me.

Vengus
08-18-2013, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't get too hyped about the start of the alpha, they tend to go like this:

Connecting..
Connecting..
Connecting..
Disconnected..
Connecting..
Disconnected..
Hey I am in!.. Disconnected..

Gulbech
08-18-2013, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't get too hyped about the start of the alpha, they tend to go like this:

Connecting..
Connecting..
Connecting..
Disconnected..
Connecting..
Disconnected..

Sadly yes, but would love to just get a peek :P

Skydive
08-18-2013, 03:50 PM
as long as they dont call it error 37 all is fine

Mathaw
08-18-2013, 04:13 PM

Connecting..
Connecting..
Connecting..
Disconnected..
Connecting..
Disconnected..

Get out of here with your reality!

MoikPEI
08-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Alpha is only going to be about 20k accounts, less mergers, so concurrency shouldn't be high at all.
I'm expecting connect immediately, play 2.5 games, mid third game server crash, five minute downtime for server restart, connect again immediately, play 5.5 games, they found and fixed the bugs now need to patch, server shutting down for maitenance, back in an hour.

Mindless
08-18-2013, 05:06 PM
why do this thread exists -_- I mean its not a few :D its TO LONG!!! And I expect it to be at least 5 weeks and that if no more delay (I'm 90 % positive that they will delay again -_- good things tend to be delayed) as it will not start before 23 september :(

Lazybum
08-18-2013, 05:07 PM
uggh, cant come soon enough i keep thinking of selling my pledges but i have too much invested to back out now

Xenavire
08-18-2013, 05:14 PM

Connecting..
Connecting..
Connecting..
Disconnected..
Connecting..
Disconnected..

Even getting the client on my PC will be like finding the holy grail. No amount of crashes or bugs will quench the hype.

Mr.Funsocks
08-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Hopefully they do a slightly graded admission for alpha, so that the crash doesn't come. Let people in by their KS tier, 5-6 hours or a day apart, to let the load build slowly, and let any immediate bugs get nailed before 10 000 players are exploiting them. Never got why more games didn't do this.

MoikPEI
08-18-2013, 05:54 PM
There are 18 tiers :/
Maybe everything from Producer down to Collector in the opening moments. That's about 4000, less mergers (which are pretty rampant judging by the sigs I see).
King + Early Bird King is another 3000, less mergers.
Champion + Knight + Captain is another 3000 (though I never really see those listed when people have like five things in their signature)
Warrior + Squire + Supporter is about 6,000.

For real though, pretty sure 10k concurrent is trivial for most modern infrastructures. Path of Exile handled 20,000 concurrent pretty stably without a queue. They generally only queued it when it hit 24k.

Shadowelf
08-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Cory said that they are talking to some groups for platform support and he also feels that the game is pretty slick when it comes to bandwith so maybe we won't face the same issue when it comes to game's release http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874 check 1:06:00

Mr.Funsocks
08-18-2013, 06:58 PM
It's not just bandwidth that can be a problem, it's bugs. If there's, say, a typo with the Friends List where the client requests the list from the server every 1 second instead of every 1 minute, their internal server with 10 people on it, and the 5 guys testing the friends list having added each other to friends' list, will be 5 * 4 = 20 requests a second, instead of per minute. That's not too bad for server hardware.

Then you get 10 000 people on the server. We're all good friends here, so 1000 of us each add 50 people to their friends' list. That's now have 1000 * 50 = 50 000 requests a second. See, bugs won't increase the server load linearly with more people, they can increase it exponentially. That's why it's good to do it slow.

And I wouldn't think they'd do it for each tier, but for groups. Everything above the 250s first, then the 250s, then everything below, aside from slacker backer, then slacker backer maybe?

zadies
08-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Really becomes what are they testing... they may want to test what kind of load the login servers can take and doing them all at once would be a good test of it because on acctual launch day I would certainly hope that it would need support more then 20k people at a time

RanaDunes
08-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Even getting the client on my PC will be like finding the holy grail. No amount of crashes or bugs will quench the hype.

What.... is... your quest?

Mr.Funsocks
08-19-2013, 12:44 AM
Really becomes what are they testing... they may want to test what kind of load the login servers can take and doing them all at once would be a good test of it because on acctual launch day I would certainly hope that it would need support more then 20k people at a time

Easy to test that one later. Send out 20k beta invites in one day.

Mathaw
08-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Hey now, as a slacker backer I dont like the sound of jumping in days after everyone else. Especially as the alpha is only a few weeks long anyway. It's one of the reasons I donated.

They'll likely have groups for account creation, maybe login etc, I wouldn't have thought they'd do them all at once, but it's more likely to be by registration id, surname, whatever. I know some of you guys dropped a lot of cash in the kitty but you're gonna have to mingle with the rest of us eventually ;)

Mathaw
08-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Easy to test that one later. Send out 20k beta invites in one day.

Wrong way round. Alpha isn't a VIP session, it's the initial testing. Game breaking bugs like servers not working under load should be ironed out sooner, not later.

Madican
08-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Best to drop the entirety of the alpha population on the client at once to find out what'll break.

We are not going into the alpha to play the game. We are not getting early access to Hex for the intent of getting a headstart. We're going in to learn the system and then use that knowledge to break it mercilessly so it will be fixed. There's a reason it's called alpha testing.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Actually, I've been under the impression for a while that alpha was mostly to give the backers a sneak peek as a reward for reaching one of the later stretch goals. After all, they weren't planning on giving us alpha access (at least, they didn't tell us publicly) until that point.

Sure, we might find a bug or two for them to fix along the way, but I don't believe that was their main reason in making that the stretch goal reward.

Madican
08-19-2013, 10:41 AM
It's alpha, there's going to be bugs everywhere. Beta is the one where the bugs become relatively minimal. We're going to be encountering tons of them and it's in our best interest to try and cause them so they're not still around in beta.

hex_colin
08-19-2013, 10:45 AM
It's alpha, there's going to be bugs everywhere. Beta is the one where the bugs become relatively minimal. We're going to be encountering tons of them and it's in our best interest to try and cause them so they're not still around in beta.

This Alpha is going to be pretty clean. There were definitely a few issues in the version we played over the weekend, but they have ~5 weeks to sort most of them out. I agree though - Alpha is for bug fixes, and I'm happy to help test! :)

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Oh yeah, no doubt that we should report any bugs we find and to test a variety of things so that if there are any lurking under the covers, they get found out. I was just saying I don't think that was their primary reason for giving us an alpha period. ^^

Xenavire
08-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Testing, sneak peek... Who says it isn't both? Stress testing is a viable reason to allow early adopters to get in and try things out, and any other bugs we find will likely be taken care of in short order.

Remember, a large portion of us who put down money have been following the progress, and are in a better position to be understanding about bugs that might turn up. We funded it because we believe in it, so a majority of us should be mature enough to take the good with the bad.

The good being the sneak peek, and the bad being the bugs that are likely to have us kicked off the servers several times a day.

Mr.Funsocks
08-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Wrong way round. Alpha isn't a VIP session, it's the initial testing. Game breaking bugs like servers not working under load should be ironed out sooner, not later.

Yes, but they could find it out without crashing the server :-P Fixing bugs under the stress of "the servers are down and all the people we promised access to are getting angry!" is probably not as effective as "Oh, look... we appear to have an unusually high load on logins... we should figure it out before the next wave comes in..."

zadies
08-19-2013, 12:00 PM
It really depends on what they feel their servers can handle.... And really if they can't handle 20k ppl at once there is an issue. Also your operating under the assumption that the beta will be more open to the public and there has been no information regarding that one way or the other and stress testing should be one of the first things taken care of assuming a realitively stable product once you are logged in which seems to be the concencous on the forums as to what we will be getting

Mr.Funsocks
08-19-2013, 12:23 PM
And really if they can't handle 20k ppl at once there is an issue.

Yes, there is almost always an issue with 20k people at once on an untested system. That's why I'm saying they try to find it in a more controlled flow...

Stress-testing is absolutely important, but going from <100 to 1000 players is plenty of stress at first. Then if that works, they go to 5000. Then 20. Then 50. Then 100. I see no reason not to control how many people get on at once when they can, and have the time.