PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Hex Puzzle #5 - Aug. 18, 2013

HyenaNipples
08-18-2013, 08:14 AM
This week's puzzle is up!

Check it out here! (http://hextcgshuffle.com/2013/08/18/sunday-hex-puzzle-5-aug-18-2013/)

Icepick
08-18-2013, 08:26 AM
I think I must be missing something here, because I can do this in like 3 actions... is that right?
Also, slight consistency issue (makes no difference to the puzzle, but worth mentioning) - if we have 7 resources and only 1 Sapphire, why do we only have 2 charges? We would have been unable to use the charge power so theoretically we should have 7 charges right? As I said, no effect on the puzzle, just an oddity :)

HyenaNipples
08-18-2013, 08:48 AM
The puzzle goes through lots of changes as I develop it. That detail slipped the final edit. Luckily, it doesn't effect anything. Thanks for the spot.

Madican
08-18-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm relatively certain I got it in two or three actions. Highlight my post to see my answer.

1. Drop Buccaneer, send one CH back.
1a. Buccaneer is Inspired by PC and CGS, becoming a 3/3 and gaining you 1 life
1b. Both RP's get +1/+1, becoming 3/3 also
2. Now there's two methods possible here. Option 1 is to bum rush, CH blocks PC and suicide pact, 11 damage gets through
2b. Option 2, which is safer, is bum rush, CH attempts to block and receives a Repel to the face, 14 damage goes through with no losses
For insult to injury or the image of an airborne pirate, give Flying to the Buccaneer and another 3/3
Victory

ramseytheory
08-18-2013, 01:22 PM
I have an answer to this challenge if I can choose the order in which "enter play" abilities resolve, and if troops with summoning sickness can activate exhaust abilities. Are those two assumptions valid?

I think I must be missing something here, because I can do this in like 3 actions... is that right?
Also, slight consistency issue (makes no difference to the puzzle, but worth mentioning) - if we have 7 resources and only 1 Sapphire, why do we only have 2 charges? We would have been unable to use the charge power so theoretically we should have 7 charges right? As I said, no effect on the puzzle, just an oddity :)

I think you're missing the fact that if you destroy a troop after it blocks your troop, e.g. with Repel, then none of your damage gets through. And Madican, I think you're missing the fact that the Buccaneer has summoning sickness.

ramseytheory
08-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Actually, looks like I don't need those assumptions after all. My answer, spoilered:

1. Drop Buccaneer for 3 resources, send Buccaneer back.
2. Drop Buccaneer again for 4 resources, send a Corrupt Harvester back. The righteous Paladins are now +4/+4.
3. Exhaust the CGS-inspired Righteous Paladin to exhaust the other Corrupt Harvester.
4. Swing with the Protectorate Clergyman, the other Righteous Paladin, the Cerulean Grand Strategist and the Adamanthian Scrivener for 9.

Icepick
08-18-2013, 01:30 PM
I think you're missing the fact that if you destroy a troop after it blocks your troop, e.g. with Repel, then none of your damage gets through. And Madican, I think you're missing the fact that the Buccaneer has summoning sickness.

Really? Are you sure about that? Seems pretty crappy if that's the case.

HyenaNipples
08-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Yeah, Repel won't stop the block because the attacking troop is already declared blocked. None of the damage will hit the champion.

At least that is how MtG rules work.

Madican
08-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Whoops, forgot about summoning sickness. Going to revise then. Also, I think that Repel, since it's a quick action, will destroy the blocking troop and allow the damage through. Otherwise it's not a very good card since it's supposed to be White's version of Murder.

Seems as though Ramsey figured it out though. Nicely done.

HyenaNipples
08-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Well, Diamond isn't supposed to be as good at killing as Blood, so the said limitation to Repel is rather the point, I imagine. Repel is useful when you say.. attack with a tiny little troop and your opponent blocks with a fatty for the easy win- but then surprise, it's dead!

Madican
08-18-2013, 03:38 PM
I'd think the limitation would be in the form of a Cost 4 over 3 and requiring the troop to attack or block in order to be targeted, since both are Quick Actions. Making it so that the damage wouldn't go through is a further penalty Murder doesn't have.

Guess we don't really know what'll happen though until we hear from someone who's played with the card. Any Gencon players around?

HyenaNipples
08-18-2013, 05:05 PM
AscendedOne, on Hex Shuffle, stated that he watched Hex games, and he's seen attackers not deliver damage to the champion even after an assigned blocker is destroyed. Apparently, the MtG-style rule is in effect.

Madican
08-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Bleh. Everytime I start to get somewhat excited about Diamond I get reminded how the other colors can pull off what it can do but even better.

Sapphire especially has gotten some really nice stuff in the last few weeks.