PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: CZE hired an economist!

TheKraken
08-19-2013, 08:23 PM
With all the talk about Yoss's proposal for the guild wars 2 AH proposal, this new discovery that CZE hired an economist is pleasant news.

The interview at hextcgpro at 11:50 - http://hextcgpro.com/?p=1055

Don't get me wrong - I believe a discussion on the various AH systems is very healthy. CZE should take in many views and suggestions but ultimately the decision on their own. The AH is the economy of the game, the life blood, and we as fans of Hex, and eventually backers, don't have the full picture and don't have the professional experience to make a proposal on a singular AH system.

GenCon is giving us more than the typical Friday updates - so much news to digest :)

keldrin
08-19-2013, 08:29 PM
This sounds like a very good move on CZE's part, getting a expert in, to help setup a working economy for the game.

funktion
08-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Cory talked a bit about this with us on thursday while we were standing in line. What I gathered is that they've got most of the details worked out already and have pretty strong reasons for each choice they made. The user experience is really important, some solutions are just overly complex for a game that's supposed to have a wide audience. Sometimes the more elegant / simpler solution is the one that fits best.

He was playing this one pretty close to the chest, but he was extremely confident with what they've got in store for us.

Edit: The economist part is pretty old news though, think we've known that they were taking this seriously for a few weeks now.

TheKraken
08-19-2013, 08:44 PM
15:15 "We do have a very robust auction house system in the game..." - so it looks like they already have a system in place

@funktion Excellent news - simple is sometimes better for sure. I really appreciate all the news you and the others GenConers have shared so far and can't wait to hear more!

Edit add: and also - I think it's very smart of CZE to be very guarded in terms of the AH system details - I'm sure it's under extreme testing and tweaking.

zadies
08-19-2013, 08:50 PM
I would hope so after the never winter ah fiasco this past year.

HyenaNipples
08-19-2013, 10:02 PM
I remember Cory talking about having hired an economist a long time ago.

TheKraken
08-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Yea, I didn't catch that :P but we did get a glimpse on more solid news that AH has been developed over GenCon.

Shadowelf
08-20-2013, 02:00 AM
Professor of economics has been hired since the Kotr interview

Cory said that they hired a professor of economics that used to work for a tcg company, to write a report for them about platinum and gold and to figure out pricing models and inflation (http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874 check 0:55:30)

ossuary
08-20-2013, 04:15 AM
I knew I had heard Cory's sultry voice talking in my ear holes about economics at some point (he really knows what fires me up). :)

Mokog
08-20-2013, 04:25 AM
I knew I had heard Cory's sultry voice talking in my ear holes about economics at some point (he really knows what fires me up). :)

That sounds awkward ossuary. Have you received your quota of Cory hugs yet? Like Spiderman saves we all get one.

Maphalux
08-20-2013, 04:46 AM
I couldn't hear jack from that interview. :(

ossuary
08-20-2013, 05:27 AM
That sounds awkward ossuary. Have you received your quota of Cory hugs yet? Like Spiderman saves we all get one.

Sadly I was not able to attend GenCon to share mutual uncomfortableness with Cory. Also, I was in California visiting family a few weeks ago, but I wasn't able to make the trip to Irvine to bang on their door and try to make a nuisance of myself like I had planned to. No manhugs for me. :(

Yet!

TheKraken
08-20-2013, 06:38 PM
With 4-5 weeks to go and it's been confirmed that the plan is to have gamers use the AH in Alpha, means that the AH system is already developed - and it just needs polishing and testing. That's great news.

keroko
08-20-2013, 08:07 PM
can we get economic stats (should a guild choose to expose) as part of hand outable cards for use as attractant / membership cards to guilds / alliance bodies in the game? ranked rights unlocks for econ stats for conglomerate in game, traders guild.

too complicated for current level of access, requires level 17 'mush mush traders' to process this query or access restricted chat channel. meritocracy option for guild where facilities unlock as player levels though game activites guild leadership desires?

algorithm based trading options as skill unlocks for the ah after certain levels of trade volume?

mannerisms of quantitative easing for market or whatever actions 'fed' takes vary based on culture implementing change in entrath. determination of culture achieving current fed action implementation based on culture war / econ state as determined by player char race and their interation with market as whole? like if you had to distribute wealth in a human fealty style environment or theocracy, or as a whole world even buff / reduction of post costs / whatever the necrons might implement, top down style. im not a freshly hired economist, but I bet there's one with all kinds of thoughts on such things who's gonna be exploring the lore and world a of entrath and its player data a lot :)

this is good news!

RobHaven
08-21-2013, 08:13 AM
I thought I remember the economist on staff being said back during early KickStarter. No? Yes? I'm pretty sure of it. I'm not that sure, though. But I'm mostly sure. Somewhere between 30 and 85%.

Shadowelf
08-21-2013, 08:17 AM
I thought I remember the economist on staff being said back during early KickStarter. No? Yes? I'm pretty sure of it. I'm not that sure, though. But I'm mostly sure. Somewhere between 30 and 85%.

Mid-July and the knights of the round interview was the first time i heard of an economist being hired to work on hex's economy (http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874 check 0:55:30)

Gwaer
08-21-2013, 08:33 AM
We talked about it on the forum during the kickstarter, asking about an economist was one of the first questions I sent to CZE right after I backed, and they responded that they had been working with someone. I assume he was just consulting. Perhaps they've hired someone full time now.

EntropyBall
08-22-2013, 08:25 AM
We talked about it on the forum during the kickstarter, asking about an economist was one of the first questions I sent to CZE right after I backed, and they responded that they had been working with someone. I assume he was just consulting. Perhaps they've hired someone full time now.

He's still just consulting, they said "he is a professor of economics" which I'm assuming is not just a job title at CZE.

ossuary
08-22-2013, 08:43 AM
I used to work for a small ISP in Portland that let us choose our own job titles. I was the domain administrator, so I had my job title down on paper as "Master of His Domain." :)

I would totally take the job title "Professor of Economics" over "Consultant" any day of the week. ;)

Vibraxus
08-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Do we know what school of economic thought he is from? It would make a HUGE different on how the AH will function

RobHaven
08-22-2013, 09:56 AM
I used to work for a small ISP in Portland that let us choose our own job titles. I was the domain administrator, so I had my job title down on paper as "Master of His Domain." :)

I had a similar situation while working on the grounds crew of the local Parks and Rec Dept. My official title was "grass cutting dude."

syphonhail
08-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Do we know what school of economic thought he is from? It would make a HUGE different on how the AH will function

Some of the more important parameters Cryptozoic has already put into play; specifically, their intervention into the secondary market is extremely limited. As such, some of the major differences in policy prescriptions that exist between say a Keynesian versus an Austrian is limited. Auction theory is interesting but it is not divided by major schools and I expect more consistency in the markets and other parameters set by Crypto.

There is some room on what level of inflation is healthy for the game but, again, I think she or he will make proposals to Crypto with different expected outcomes and they would pick the one they think is best with his or her advice.

I am, however, interested in who it is. I would be stoked to have such an opportunity and have been envious of Varoufakis when I learned that Valve employed him for various activities.

TheKraken
08-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Interesting stuff syphonhail. I do concur with the points you've made. At the end of the day, CZE will be the one making the decision, but to have successful models to emulate is very important.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about some of the gold sinks they are developing. I bet the economist has/had some crazy ideas.

Shadowelf
08-22-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing more about some of the gold sinks they are developing. I bet the economist has/had some crazy ideas.

This is from Hex_Colin's interview with Cory:

I don’t want to say what it is yet because it’s going to be a pretty big reveal, but I’ve built into the game a gold sink that is fun. It’s going to be something you’re gonna be able to do that is going to be super-fun and I think people are gonna love it. Maybe I’m wrong. My instincts are usually good, but I’ve been taught that I can be wrong via Kickstarter. But I think people are going to like it, and I think it actually gives you the opportunity to use gold in a way that’s super-fun and is going to pull it out of the economy because it’s something you’re gonna want to do as opposed to have to do.
I think that’s gonna keep gold very high in terms of value, which is gonna help everyone, including the people who want to play for free. Maybe I’m working against myself here, but the idea that the PBE guys gathering gold, gold may be a commodity that is valuable enough that they’re going to be able to trade it for some of the PBP cards that they want, so your time played can actually equal the other pieces of the game so that you don’t have to spend a ton of money.

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013...ss-transcript/

ossuary
08-23-2013, 03:56 AM
I bet the fun gold sink is digital tacos.

Vibraxus
08-23-2013, 01:59 PM
I bet the fun gold sink is digital tacos.

Buying fishing licenses......

Kroan
08-23-2013, 02:01 PM
What's PBE and PBP

Vibraxus
08-23-2013, 02:02 PM
What's PBE and PBP

PVE and PVP, looks like a glitch in the transcription software to me.