PDA

View Full Version : Hex demo at gencon.

Gwaer
08-20-2013, 08:59 AM
This is for you Xen.

I arrived early friday morning, it's something like 9AM, just got off a plane after no sleep. It's my first trip to gencon, but I am very used to cons, Dragoncon is very similar really I think to myself. A lot less semi-naked people is costumes, but this'll do in a pinch. A very short will-call line to grab my Gencon pass, and then we're off to hunt the CZE booths. I ask at the information booth. The guy knows what I was talking about when I mentioned CZE but can't find the location of their area. I head to the vendors hall because I knew they had something going on there.

I message Cory about where they are on my way to the vendor hall, since information didn't know, he didn't get back to me immediately(he's quite busy I imagine). Just outside the vendor area there's a map, with names and numbers and locations. I find Cryptozoic, their booth number, and its location on the map.

I enter the vendor hall, in retrospect I know I am supposed to be wow'd by the sights and sounds of people milling about there are tons of booths, with tons of merch. I ignore it. I can't think of a single thing in there. But I start making my way toward the CZE booth. The first thing I remember seeing is a giant Cryptozoic banner hanging from the ceiling. When I navigate to it, they have many different boardgames demoing, and 4 computers demoing Hex matches vs the AI. I ask the cashier if this is where I pay to play hex for the weekend. She points to the opposite end of the vendor area and says go through those doors, they're in the TCG hall. I thank her for her service, and head off on my quest.

It is around 10:30 am, and I find the Hex play area. There's already a group of people standing there. I just stand around for a while listening to them talk. The place can't take my 10 dollars until 11, and no one is playing yet. I listen to them talk for a while, and introduce myself to who turned out to be khamelk. She apparently doesn't read the forums, and had no idea who I was. So I go back to standing around, eventually Nthaniel introduces himself, and I do in kind, he has at least heard of me. So that was nice. We chat. My anticipation for the game was building, and I have no idea really what we talked about. Suddenly, the time was upon us.

I sat down at a machine, I believe Nthaniel was my first opponent. I was on computer 1, he was on computer 2. My back was to the line of people waiting. He challenged me to a game, and I just accepted it, and didn't even pick the deck I wanted (It defaults to the first deck on the list, which was blood for the blood god). I was kind of bummed about not being able to look through the deck list, when it happened. My opponents game crashed. Bwahahahaha I thought; My control over this plane of existence is still strong. We were back up in moments, and this time I looked through the deck list. Blood for the blood god... Nah, that wasn't for me right now... Rabbit town? Nah... building a better tomorrow... Nope. Ewww Eternal life, lifegain decks are bleh... Burn baby burn.... Now we're talking, I had just done very will in an intraguild tournament with a fast red deck, I'd give that a shot.

On loading into the game I noticed it was very snappy, the interface was in fact very responsive. I was a bit concerned that it would feel delayed and clunky, because that was how it appeared on the twitch stream. The game actually looks really great even though it obviously hasn't had very much polish yet. I can move the cards around in my hand in a nice way, I notice the cards that are applicable to be played have a faint aura around them, that I make a note to mention that it could be a little more obvious.

I honestly don't remember the details of that first game. I was mostly engrossed by the ui, how the phases were tracked, what text it gave for each phase so that I would not skip declaring blockers and whatnot. There are quite a few improvements in this area that we can expect before alpha. I do remember that I won, and was pleased with my two tickets. We both said good game, got up and stood in line again for another round.

The line was very long on friday, it wrapped all the way around the play area. it took probably 30 minutes. The murder inc folks and I chatted, we asked others around us if they were backers (virtually everyone was) I tried to attach some forum names to faces at this point, but few people were actually forumites at this juncture.

Front of the line again. I decide to try out one of the decks just added today. "Twitch_tempo" Which is the Sapphire flight deck. Nthaniel decides the same, unbeknownst to me. And we have our first mirror match.
This game I remember very well because it really couldn't have gone better. My opening hand started with the spectral chosen guy who at the beginning of your turn adds two ancestors to your deck, these guys are amazing, 1 cost for a 2/2 flier that draws you a card. My second draw is another one, so I have two of these guys out by turn three. I'm more or less on the defensive for the first half of the game, I get a ragebird out, and he bounces it back to my hand, I fend off his attacks as best I can, get a couple of air superiorities out, and before you know it I have a 90something card deck, and start pulling these fliers, who are 4/4 when I play them for 1, and draw a card. I get a string of 4 or 5 of them, and the game is pretty much over from that point.

I'm pretty sure this was my favorite deck of the event, but I am hard pressed to really say it, all of the decks were a lot of fun to play. it's definitely in the top 3. Strangely so is the eternal life lifegain deck. It was amazing, had such good synergy and could be extremely fast, or if you get behind, can slowly build for a comeback, extremely versatile. The other pretty amazing deck was the ruby/diamond united we stand deck, Stacking inspires was extremely satisfying, one of my fondest games was when I had 2 6 strength sword trainers, and a 16 strength sword trainer and threw down a sniper of gawain to end the game....

then there was this game...

http://i.imgur.com/kAQrW2x.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/TXTWzhR.jpg

So basically this was just a stream of consciousness post from what I remember from the first time I sat down and played hex. It was an amazing experience, the community by far was gracious and cordial, they were always thanking people for the game, and shaking hands. The games themselves were very smoothe, the artwork was phenominal, the response was fantastic. There are still quite a lot of bugs to be worked out, without a doubt. But it was just a lot of fun. The gameplay was fun, I could still be having a great time with just the decks included in the demo. I honestly can't wait until release.

Any questions I'll be happy to answer if I can.

Edit: Bonus! Here's a picture of the hex play area. That judge in the center of the shot was an amazingly dedicated volunteer, they had to stand there all day watching people play and hardly got any playtime themselves. They're the unsung heroes. She was particularly dedicated to her post... But not as dedicated as the guy that got a detached retina friday, went in for eye surgery friday night, and then came back to help more saturday and sunday. =/.

hidden bonus 2, bosshoss is in that picture. So there's that.

Khazrakh
08-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks for sharing your impressions. The more I read about Gencon the more I wish I could have been there ;)

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Sounds like a wonderful experience you had, and the game looks amazing from all the screenshots I've been seeing. I mean, Duels of the Planeswalkers looks fairly crisp, but there's no doubt in my mind that Hex looks that much better. Alpha can't come soon enough!

majin
08-20-2013, 09:10 AM
wow, nice read gwaer. i am glad to hear that the game is very responsive (hex_colin) also mentioned it on another thread and how enjoyable the current state is. i just need to keep telling myself 4 to 6 more weeks, 4 to 6 more weeks...

The_Wine_Gnat
08-20-2013, 09:13 AM
I wonder how they came up with the name "Mushwocky"... Great post by the way! Been following everything from home.

Madican
08-20-2013, 09:14 AM
I can only imagine the look on your opponent's face when he realized that yes the Mushwocky did say 91/91.

Also the name of the Mushwocky is a portmanteau of mushroom and Jabberwocky.

jimmywolf
08-20-2013, 09:16 AM
good read thank you for sharing, hurry up alpha release!

Gwaer
08-20-2013, 09:18 AM
It was pretty funny, my back was to the line again when I got the 91/91 mushwocky, and everyone wanted to take a picture. I had to keep bringing him up for people who ran up with their cameras.

Stok3d
08-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Thank you for sharing Gwaer and that Mushwocky is down right nasty.

I'd like to add that I saw you helping out some new players (woman with the white patched coat). How did that experience go? Where there any games that were really close (ie: you lost by say 1)?

How did you get those spoiled cards for the shin'hare?

Nthanel
08-20-2013, 09:20 AM
I was facing him again for that monster. We both agreed that It was against the rules for me to chump block it so I let it hit me in the face for the win to Gwaer. It was pretty epic.

We sat around with Nazume(sp? I think thats the right one) pumping out random Shin'hare till she put out something that we (Gwaer and I) had not seen. That was pretty much the tech. But to not hog the computer for the full half hour timer we limited our selves to 10 min games and would Mulligan to see if we could get one into our opening hands.

Gwaer
08-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Yes, 91/91 mushwockies are obviously unblockable. That was a bug on CZE's part not enforcing it.

I lost to that woman in the white patched coat 3 freaking times =/ She was new, but trounced me. I also lost to a very small young person once... All were good games. There were a lot of very close games honestly. There were a couple of amazing comebacks, like I had a guy down to 7 or 4 or something, and he hadn't even hit me yet. I was playing Burn baby burn, and he was playing twitch tempo. He came back from that and dominated me for the rest of the game. I laughed, I cried, I had terrible draws, and amazing topdecks. It really ran the gamut of experiences. I didn't notice any decks that were just dominating every other deck. It was pretty well balanced, even with some of the bugs and issues, one decks charge power wasn't working, one decks charge power was working too well.

As for the spoiled rabbits, the first time I played the Rabittown deck, I got Uzume the grand concubunny out. And the first and second bunny she randomly generated for me was the boltpaw wizard, and the highborn.

On sunday the line was pretty short, and I played a couple of fast get uzume's pass until we have enough mana to cast her and let her do her thing for a few turns to get the bloodbearer out. After the blood bearer, I was extremely happy with the shin'hare options and stopped looking for more. The very last game I played as they were closing down the area was a lifegain/lifegain mirror match. That one was remarkably exciting honestly. We were each inner conflicting the others potential wins. Good times. It was a very interesting experience having a guy on the board that was just getting bigger and bigger with every heal, but would never be able to do anything useful
=( .

keroko
08-20-2013, 09:34 AM
http://youtu.be/8apNuRgWFWo

Xenavire
08-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks so much Gwaer, I really feel like this is the closest you could get in pure words to being there - I appreciate it so much.

I am actually strangely happy, despite my jealousy - hearing the UI is good, but lacking a little polish, and the snappiness of the game... You have really put my mind at ease.

I do have a question though - I know you are an experienced player, but are there any decks that felt clunky or strange, and any others that flowed together perfectly? I am frankly surprised that the diamond lifegain deck was so competetive, they tend to only be good when they can take cards from several sets. And even then, they require some form of control and a win condition.

Last question - now you have played, are you more or less excited for release? (Either alpha/beta/full release, doesn't matter.)

Maphalux
08-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the personal recap, Gwaer. It sounds like it was a great experience.

Gwaer
08-20-2013, 09:47 AM
I am definitely more excited for the game. Hundreds of times more excited. A lot of that is because I got to chat with the game designers for something like 5 hours. But even before the DL dinner I was regretting having to return home to a hexless life.

Honestly, the clunkiness of any of the decks were due to bugs. Blood for the blood god had bone warriors, that just died instead of going to a pile of bones, the inspiration engine which was the major goal of the building a better tomorrow sapphire dwarf deck was accidently excluded in the build of the demo, and they couldn't put it back in. The lifegain deck really surprised me too.

Basically, you get the adamanthian scrivener out, I even had 2 out a few times, and the righteous paladin, you have 1 or 2 buffs coming to him every turn, plus the eternal life escalation card turned out to be amazing, I got a 40 heal off once when I was on the ropes, and totally turned the game around after that. The totems help a lot, especially when you make them have permanent lifesteal/firststrike so they are buffing your paladins with every attack. It was a well built deck. I think one of the reasons this set is so large is they want to enable many of these archetypical decks right out of the gate. I have no doubt that better cards are coming in future sets, but pretty much any normal type of deck seems to be viable right out of the gate.

If any deck flowed together perfectly I'd have to say it was the lifegain deck. Ruby/diamond inspire had a few bugs that were stopping some inspire effects from working correctly, otherwise it might have been the top synergy dog.

Though.... Once you got uzume to give you a boltpaw wizard, and a couple of blood bearers... you were in a pretty good place if you had a couple of eulogists/ritualists out.

I had 2 of the wretched broods out, costing me 2 health for two battle hoppers, and 2 eulogists, 1 ritualist. Every turn I could either heal 4 (net2) and buffing each of my eulogists +2/+2, heal 3,(net1) and buff a ritualist to 4/4 while still buffing my euologists by 2/2. Or Revert a card/mill an enemy card. The blood bearers bascially make that deck work so well it's incredible.

Xenavire
08-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Wow, I am so pumped now. I love lifegain style decks (I am a combo/midrange/control kind of guy) and hearing this one meshes well together has me so hyped up.

Ok, another question - of all the cards you got to play with, what are your top five? Which ones just felt super fun, or had a lot of potential?

ossuary
08-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Awesome. Thanks so much for putting together the recap for us, Gwaer. I love reading all this kind of stuff.

I'm not a huge fan of lifegain decks either, but that one sounds sick. The only thing I think they need (and who knows, it might be in there but just not spoiled yet) is some way to make use of a giant guy that has somehow been nullified but not killed (like sacrifice your Inner Conflicted guy to do... something). Diamond definitely needs some kind of stalemate breaker / push through effect.

I am so excited to play the Shin'Hare. I was one of those crazy guys that played the hell out of a Thrull deck back in the Fallen Empire days (I LOVE creature generation engines). I can't wait to get my hands on those guys. Finding out that there is a lifegain Shin'Hare to counteract the Wretched Brood is just super exciting.

Also, I hope there is some relatively easy way to give a creature Crush, even if it's just for one turn. The Mushwocky must not be denied! :)

Next month can't come soon enough...

Gwaer
08-20-2013, 10:42 AM
1)http://www.hex-datamine.com/cards/Ancestors--Chosen,-The/279
2a)http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ChimeraGuardOutrider.png (he combo'd so well with)
2b)http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/RadiantArmor.png no one saw that pain coming, I won a lot of games by throwing this as a quick action on that guy when I have 8-10 diamond sources.
3)http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/LegionnaireOfGawaine.png this guys boardwipe is incredible
4a)http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/SwordTrainer.png This guy is fantastic by himself, get a couple out and they all stack up
4b)http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/SniperOfGawaine.png throw this guy down after you have a few sword trainers and it is GG.
5)I'm using for honorable mentions, flock of seagulls was amazing as a blocker, especially with air superiority. fang of the mountain god + zoltog... Finally...

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Argus.png

This guy was not in the best deck by far. But the experience of having him show up from the first hand, and show to the opponent is indescribably awesome, it really does what I think they want to accomplish just in the dread of seeing him getting cheaper and cheaper.

ossuary
08-20-2013, 10:52 AM
hahah, awesome. I bet that would be terrifying. "Oh man, in three turns he can play that!" ... "Oh god, two more turns and I am toast!"

DisOrd3r
08-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Wow! :D awesome overview of everything ^^ felt like I was there! ^^

Xenavire
08-20-2013, 11:13 AM
I love those picks, I had been eyeing up Chimera guard outrider for days, thinking about how silly he could be. Hearing he does the job just makes me want to see what else he can work with. I expected a few of those cards, but so many of those are inspire - I will have to look carefully at making a few inspire decks at launch haha.

Man, alpha is going to be fairly crazy. All this hype over a few days of gaming, just amazing. I am drooling at the thought, too bad it isn't sooner! I can't wait to get ingame with all the guys on the forums.

Stok3d
08-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Man, alpha is going to be fairly crazy. All this hype over a few days of gaming, just amazing. I am drooling at the thought, too bad it isn't sooner! I can't wait to get ingame with all the guys on the forums.

Alpha is 4x of EVERYTHING with platinum given to us to buy stuff (Of course this is only temporary with a future wipe). Yeah, it's going to be nuts!

khamelk
08-20-2013, 11:25 AM
T
It is around 10:30 am, and I find the Hex play area. There's already a group of people standing there. I just stand around for a while listening to them talk. The place can't take my 10 dollars until 11, and no one is playing yet. I listen to them talk for a while, and introduce myself to who turned out to be khamelk. She apparently doesn't read the forums, and had no idea who I was. So I go back to standing around, eventually Nthaniel introduces himself, and I do in kind, he has at least heard of me. So that was nice. We chat. My anticipation for the game was building, and I have no idea really what we talked about. Suddenly, the time was upon us.

Hey at least I have started reading them again now. Nthanel always kept me posted on the interesting discussions so I was able to step back.

That said you can bet I am going to be on here more trying to help with community building and staying connected with everyone :)

Frank1397
08-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Thx Gwaer i love your recap of your GenCon exp.

I just back from the Sony presentation at Gamescom. I would loved to be at Gencon and at the dinner but work before pleasure.
I hope i can get a second change next year if CZE plans a new dinner..

Yoss
08-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Nice post. Too bad (for me) GenCon ain't west coast.

Shadowelf
08-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks for sharing:) Looks like you had an amazing time, and who wouldn't, playing hex at last and taliking to the game designers. Awesome overview too :)

Orb
08-20-2013, 12:56 PM

Yeah, I agree. When we got alpha access through KS, I wasnt sure how much I would care. Sure it would be cool to play the game pre-beta, but there would be constant changes and clearly a wipe and tons of bugs.

But after running through that line more than a few times at Gen Con, I am chomping at the bit to get my hands on more Hex!

dogmod
08-20-2013, 01:47 PM
One of the best recaps I have seen Gwaer. Sounds like fun!

+1

Daer
08-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Awesome trip report.

Alpha is 4x of EVERYTHING with platinum given to us to buy stuff (Of course this is only temporary with a future wipe). Yeah, it's going to be nuts!

Is that confirmed anywhere or is that super-secret DL Dinner info?

hex_colin
08-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Awesome trip report.

Is that confirmed anywhere or is that super-secret DL Dinner info?

Cory confirmed it a number of times during GenCon, including while we were standing in the line at the Hex League on Thursday. He could change his mind, but that definitely the plan for now...

Kilo24
08-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Excellent recap. Quite appreciated, Gwaer.

Umaro
08-20-2013, 03:39 PM

I'm glad they did this. It would have seemed silly to limit the game's test-ability for the alpha test.

The_Wine_Gnat
08-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Very excited to try out builds in Alpha and find bugs! The more things we find, the better it runs for everyone.

Icepick
08-20-2013, 05:27 PM
That was a great read, thanks Gwaer.
I think I'm just going to go into hibernation for the next 6 weeks or so and wait out the alpha!

Rhyahn
08-20-2013, 05:47 PM
I loved that chimera guard. I got him up to 0/16 one game and kept using the charge power on him to give him lifedrain. I couldn't stop laughing and ended the game with 93 health.

jimmywolf
08-20-2013, 08:01 PM
That was a great read, thanks Gwaer.
I think I'm just going to go into hibernation for the next 6 weeks or so and wait out the alpha!

just don't end up like cartmen waiting for the wii

Madican
08-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Maybe if consoles would release in the spring/fall instead of dead winter then Cartman's story wouldn't be the tale of everyone who's ever camped out for one.

ossuary
08-21-2013, 03:27 AM
And maybe if people didn't spend 70% of their "spending money" at Christmas, businesses wouldn't feel the need to crowd the season with the newest, most expensive merch.

Dralon
08-21-2013, 12:04 PM
A great stream of conciousness post that did a good job of summarizing some of the experiences of being there and playing the game live. One deck that also was fun when it got cooking was the dwarven artifact deck with the volcannon repeatedly shooting out 3 damage packets to the face of your opponent. True if you didn't get the parts in place quick it stalled out, but boy it was fun when it worked. With the tapping and passing priority clicks needed it really felt like I was loading a cannon :)

Bonus to Gwaer for getting me in the pic as well :)

Gwaer
08-21-2013, 12:31 PM
OMG That little kid in the middle of the screen is the one who beat me, too =(

Madican
08-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Beware the children, for they can kick your ass.

McKizz
08-21-2013, 01:51 PM
In case any of you are visual, and were curious about the layout of the computer setup at GenCon.... here you go!

http://www.hexinformer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Gameplay-1024x768.jpg

Kami
08-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Well, at least now we can guess at the system requirements. :)

Those are Dell 'Alienware' X51 R2s it looks like.

Approximate lowest specs for those machines:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-3220 Processor (3M Cache, 3.30 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Chipset: Intel H61 Express Chipset
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 2500
Grpahics 2: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 645
Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz DRAM

[NOTE: These may not be the specs the machines were using. These are just the lowest configurable specs for that model through Dell/Alienware.]

Vibraxus
08-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Well, at least now we can guess at the system requirements. :)

Those are Dell 'Alienware' X51 R2s it looks like.

Approximate lowest specs for those machines:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-3220 Processor (3M Cache, 3.30 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Chipset: Intel H61 Express Chipset
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 2500
Grpahics 2: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 645
Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz DRAM

[NOTE: These may not be the specs the machines were using. These are just the lowest configurable specs for that model through Dell/Alienware.]

You can tell which model of system they are using just by a side view of the case? Dayum, your kung fu is strong!

Xenavire
08-21-2013, 03:33 PM
I hardly doubt the requirements will be as high as that - they were given PC's for the con by NVIDIA from what I remember hearing, so the specs were probably were probably well above what was strictly needed.

I mean I am fairly sure that Hex will not have higher minimum specs than things like Battlefield 3 or bioshock infinite. I would guess at something closer to MTG DoTP 2014 (which is also on tablets, giving an even closer measurement.)

Not trying to buzzkill, but I wouldn't want people to panic that they might not be able to run it.

McKizz
08-21-2013, 03:38 PM
I hardly doubt the requirements will be as high as that - they were given PC's for the con by NVIDIA from what I remember hearing, so the specs were probably were porbably well above what was strictly needed.

I mean I am fairly sure that Hex will not have higher minimum specs than things like Battlefield 3 or bioshock infinite. I would guess at something closer to MTG DoTP 2014 (which is also on tablets, giving an even closer measurement.)

Not trying to buzzkill, but I wouldn't want people to panic that they might not be able to run it.

Exactly. If designs are being discussed to produce a tablet/phone version of the game, I don't suspect you'll need a high-end gaming PC to play. Not trying to be argumentative... just trying to quell any possible fear mongering that may occur.

The graphics are going to be crisp and clean, yes. But it's my understanding that you will NOT need high-end computers to run the game. Now, if you're going to a huge-scale convention and demoing a brand new, pre-alpha game with tons of buzz, then I think Alienware computers are a good choice to ensure the experience is a positive one.

^.^

Shadowelf
08-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Cory has said that the game will be able to be running in ‘low end machines’.(http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874 check 01:07:00); there is also the tablet support to consider. So i doubt that the minimum requirments will be that high

Kami
08-21-2013, 03:41 PM
I hardly doubt the requirements will be as high as that - they were given PC's for the con by NVIDIA from what I remember hearing, so the specs were probably were probably well above what was strictly needed.

Keep in mind, those are the lowest specs possible with that machine. Chances are, the specs were even higher for the con.

Interpreting the specs from there, you could guess at:

CPU: Dual-core. (Common)
Graphics: Integrated graphics of a certain level or higher or GeForce 2xx series or higher. (Common)
Memory: More likely 2GB of RAM. (Common)

I think you guys misinterpreted my discerning of the specs. Those are just the ones for the machine itself. I've never stated those are minimum system requirements.

ossuary
08-21-2013, 03:47 PM
The correct way to interpret this information, is that the lowest possible specs of the X51, are the HIGHEST possible system requirements to run Hex... and likely far, far lower than that. :)

Barborin
08-21-2013, 04:09 PM
The diamond life gain deck was also my favorite. It was a lot of fun to peek around the computer and look at the horror on peoples faces as you attack them with a 15/15 with life drain.

I have to say, I also really enjoyed the inspire deck. It probably would have been one of my favorites if it was not for the bugs. For any of you not there, dont worry if you hear people mentioning bugs. Cryptozoic was very receptive to feedback, and it is still pre-alpha.

Shrennan
08-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Cory has said that the game will be able to be running in ‘low end machines’.

Which is a good thing. This game is a TCG first and foremost (the MMO part of it is still played via TCG games) so making this game inaccessible to people with low-end machines would definitely not be taking advantage of the type of game this is and the accessibility it should have.

MugenMusou
08-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Amazing review. Thank you very much!

Xenavire
08-22-2013, 03:52 AM
Keep in mind, those are the lowest specs possible with that machine. Chances are, the specs were even higher for the con.

Interpreting the specs from there, you could guess at:

CPU: Dual-core. (Common)
Graphics: Integrated graphics of a certain level or higher or GeForce 2xx series or higher. (Common)
Memory: More likely 2GB of RAM. (Common)

I think you guys misinterpreted my discerning of the specs. Those are just the ones for the machine itself. I've never stated those are minimum system requirements.

I think you might still be aiming too high there. I think Hex could need as little as a single core (2.8-3.3GHz) Windows XP, 256mb video card and 500mb ram.

Generally MMO and dTCG's require fairly low specs for bottom of the barrel minimum requirements. I can see what you listed being about medium specs, and the pc's from GenCon would be ultra settings.

Kami
08-22-2013, 05:26 AM
I think you might still be aiming too high there. I think Hex could need as little as a single core (2.8-3.3GHz) Windows XP, 256mb video card and 500mb ram.

Generally MMO and dTCG's require fairly low specs for bottom of the barrel minimum requirements. I can see what you listed being about medium specs, and the pc's from GenCon would be ultra settings.

Probably.

Look at MTGO's system requirements for their newest client.

Minimum

Operating System: Windows XP SP3
Processor: Pentium 4 class machine, minimum 2 GHz
Memory: 1 GB (32-bit OS) 2 GB (64-bit OS)
Video: 128MB video RAM Hardware Accelerated GPU
Resolution: 1024x768
Disk Space: 650 MB free

I do expect the system requirements to be closer to DotP/Magic2014 though due to the style of graphics:

Minimum

Processor: 2GHz CPU (Pentium 4 or equivalent)
Memory: 1GB RAM (2GB for Vista and Windows 7)
Hard Disk Space: 1.5 GB HDD
Video Card: 512MB DirectX 9.0c compatible video card with Pixelshader 3.0 support
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c or later
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Xenavire
08-22-2013, 09:38 AM
I just hope they give their best estimates before alpha - we will probably be testing a lot of things for them, and compatibility is a good one. Knowing the minimum would encourage people to try it out - sometimes you just assume your PC is too weak to run something and pass on it as a result.

Skirovik
08-22-2013, 11:20 PM

If you read his post he states that these are the specs of the machines being used, NOT the required specs for the game.

Xenavire
08-23-2013, 03:53 AM
If you read his post he states that these are the specs of the machines being used, NOT the required specs for the game.

His first post was the PC specs, and I mentioned seeing high specs might concern people, his second post about it was his first estimate, and you quoted my reply to that post, so you are mistaken. And it is an interesting discussion, based on what we have seen so far - there may be flash and polish we have yet to see, which might increase those specs.

With everything supposedly handled server-side, I think the big drain would likely be ram or vram, so I would expect fairly low specs overall.

ossuary
08-23-2013, 04:06 AM
Just for the record, the whole "server side processing" thing is a bit of a red herring. A lot of companies these days talk about offloading complex system calculations on the server, so the user's machine doesn't have to handle such a heavy load. This is actually highly unnecessary. Those kinds of calculations are exactly what computers were designed to do in the first place, and even an average home PC manages them just fine. Ditto a decent dual core tablet.

The real resource hog in any modern video game is invariably the graphics, which can't be offloaded. The complex mathematical computations required to make the modern, 3-D looking graphics we're accustomed to display properly on a 2-D plane are extremely intense on the processor and video RAM, which is why they've both had to be ramped up more and more over the years to compensate.

But "offsite processing" has become a bit of a buzzword over the last 2 years or so, and more and more companies are doing it to make their games sound modern, trendy, and powerful. "Our games are so complex, we have to run calculations on the server to deliver it to you." The reality is that running calculations on the server just prevents the local client from having all the information necessary to run the game. It's mostly a security measure. Most PCs would be perfectly capable of running these games locally (as we saw with the whole SimCity debacle), the game client would just need to be significantly larger on the hard drive to contain the additional logic and code.

That being said, really complex AI can be pretty intensive, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they really do need to offload SOME of the processing onto the server for this purpose. But on the whole, server-side processing isn't nearly as necessary or impressive as it often sounds.

Xenavire
08-23-2013, 06:11 AM
No arguments here ossuary, that is more or less how I would have explained it. (You put it so much better though.)

Thanks to the idea of offloading at least some of the 'heavy lifting', it gives lower end PC's a better chance to run it. They do seem to be confident that their AI is going to be top of the line though, and I could see that being a huge CPU and RAM hog (really, you do anything complicated in MTG: DotP 2014 and the AI soils itself and takes minutes to move through single phases.)
So offloading that should make the game smooth, no matter what is thrown at it.

I am looking forward to seeing how the AI runs to be honest. In all the TCG's that have been converted into video game form, the AI has gotten significantly worse the more complicated things became - the time between moves always reaches a point that it is frustrating and a waste of time.

I do worry that high load servers might cause the entire PvE side of the game to slow down when things really get rolling. I am sure they have a failsafe set up, but it makes me wonder.

ossuary
08-23-2013, 06:39 AM
I don't anticipate the PVE side causing too much of a problem, to be honest. The only portions of the servers that will need to handle large loads would be the AH (all text, really), and the chat (again, all text). Everything else can be heavily instanced, so there will only be a problem if they don't have enough physical servers to run everyone. That's a simple matter of scaling.

Another thing I thought about after my last post, based on something Funktion mentioned in his very nice GenCon wrap-up video, goes back to my comments on security. Another advantage to running code server-side instead of in the local client, is that it makes data mining MUCH more difficult. This is how most (smart) MMO designs have been running for about 10 years now, with a centralized processing server and a dummy client that just accesses the server without containing any of the raw data locally.

So with the AI, and the loot table management, and the core logic running on the server, CZE is protecting themselves from people working out how the engine works and figuring out a way to game the system. But still, none of this really has any impact on the system specs - that is entirely determined by the intensity of the graphics, as I stated before. The rest of that stuff is more about system integrity than it is about processing power.

Vorpal
08-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the report, Gwaer. Sounds like a ton of fun. I can hardly wait!

And yes, we should expect bugs. Nay, we should demand them. If there aren't any bugs, the game should be released already :D