PDA

View Full Version : Spellshield

poizonous
08-20-2013, 05:07 PM
There has been a debate going on lately about Soul Armaments. What exactly is Spellshield? Some people are calling it Hexproof, now while that could be the case Hexproof is mechanic that prevents a creature from being targeted by Spells Or abilities. Spellshield has the word Spell in it, so is it just making troops immune to spells? Or Abilities as well?

AscendedOne
08-20-2013, 05:49 PM
There has been a debate going on lately about Soul Armaments. What exactly is Spellshield? Some people are calling it Hexproof, now while that could be the case Hexproof is mechanic that prevents a creature from being targeted by Spells Or abilities. Spellshield has the word Spell in it, so is it just making troops immune to spells? Or Abilities as well?

How are you differentiating between abilities and spells? My first guess would be unit actions and card actions. I do not think that they are discriminating between the two in this way. Spell shield says it cannot be targeted. Depending on how you define targeting, it could be immune to every single target action or all actions. I see it as one of two possibilities:

Your creature cannot be the target of actions. Which would mean it cannot be the SPECIFIC target.

Your creature cannot be a target of actions. Which would mean that it cannot be included in a list of targets.

A source of the wording: http://hextcg.com/keywords/

poizonous
08-20-2013, 06:03 PM
But Spells and abilities are 2 completely different things. Spells are like Burn/Murder. Abilities are on troops such as Xarlox, Warlock Inquisitor and so on. Yes there is a major difference in the 2. Protection from Abilities in MtG is called Protection from Creatures. Protection from everything is Called Hexproof

AscendedOne
08-20-2013, 06:11 PM
But Spells and abilities are 2 completely different things. Spells are like Burn/Murder. Abilities are on troops such as Xarlox, Warlock Inquisitor and so on. Yes there is a major difference in the 2. Protection from Abilities in MtG is called Protection from Creatures. Protection from everything is Called Hexproof

I never said that they weren't two different things. I said that I don't think they are making the distinction. Spellshield is not worded to be specific to actions or troops.

Madican
08-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Spellshield says invulnerability to targeted troop removal.

AscendedOne
08-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Spellshield says invulnerability to targeted troop removal.

Please tell me where you found that information. The link I listed says this:

"Opposing champions cannot target a card with Spellshield."

Are you referring to this?

"This keyword helps keep your troop alive from an opponent’s targeted removal spell."

This does not outright say an effect. It is saying something about the effect. The previous quote does outright say what it does. Out of the two, I am more inclined to believe the first.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-20-2013, 11:25 PM
http://hextcg.com/keywords/

It says that opposing champions (ie. opponents) cannot target a creature with spellshield. Which basically means it is hexproof from MTG. You can still target your troops, but they can't. And because it doesn't specify spells or abilities, at this point I'd say that it stops anything that targets, so it would stop both.

AscendedOne
08-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Tell me. In MtG, does hexproof prevent all spells (including ones that do not have a primary target such as extinction) or just targeted ones such as burn and murder in hex? My experience in MtG is quite lacking.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Just targetted spells and abilities (for example, it stops Murder - destroy target creature - as well as, say, Prodigal Pyromancer, which has a tap ability to deal 1 damage to target creature).

Essentially, it stops anything with the word target in it, which Extinction/Wrath of God doesn't have.

HyenaNipples
08-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Yeah, even Cerulean Grand Strategist is stopped by it, supposedly.

Madican
08-21-2013, 01:21 AM
Whereas things like Judgement would blow right through it.

nekoangel
08-21-2013, 01:23 AM
just to add a small point in, long time wow tcg player here and crypto uses spellshield in that game too, they recently added it but yes its basically hexproof.

its probably easier to say spellshield says " this troop cannot be target by opposing cards or effects"

Rycajo
08-21-2013, 12:50 PM
just to add a small point in, long time wow tcg player here and crypto uses spellshield in that game too, they recently added it but yes its basically hexproof.

its probably easier to say spellshield says " this troop cannot be target by opposing cards or effects"

From the Keywords page: "giving them extra protection and allowing the troop to not be bothered by targeted effects the opponent controls."

The opponent may not target a troop with spellshield. But that troop may still be affected by cards that don't specifically target it.

For the sake of multiplayer games, it is interesting that it says "opponent" and not "other player", thus allowing allies to target the troop.

Slamdancer
08-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Whats even more interesting to me is that it reads "opposings effects".. that would mean i could still Wild Growth it for example? Sick.

nekoangel
08-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Whats even more interesting to me is that it reads "opposings effects".. that would mean i could still Wild Growth it for example? Sick.

totally, thats the difference with say in wowtcg spellshield and untargetable you can guess which one doesnt let anyone touch the card.....

in mtg there is shroud and hexproof with the former locking out all targeting.