PDA

View Full Version : Time to Let Others Know of Hex!

Stok3d
08-20-2013, 08:13 PM
There is a lot of press right now regarding Hearthstone and this is a perfect time to do a service to the community and let ppl find out more regarding Hex. Millions of people will be reading articles about Hearthstone as WoW is tying in in-game rewards to try it out. The vast majority have never heard of Hex. I think now is a great time to Evangelize like we did during KS. I also see it as a service to the community to give ppl a shot to get at least in on the alpha / beta via Slacker Backer, get some exclusives, and be part of success in it's infancy.

Post where you can if you have opinions comparing the two games. Remember, HS is a CCG and Hex is a TCG. You can't even trade in HS o.O

Here is something regarding what's going down with HS btw in case you're curious.
http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=218273&p=3477380#p3477380

hex_colin
08-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Stok3d - I think you meant "Hex is a TCG"... :)

Barkam
08-20-2013, 08:17 PM
I think you meant TCG for Hex. Hearthstone is at a huge advantage right now because people can actually try it. Hex won't really be able to "market" until they can also give a taste.

KiraForce
08-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Hex won't really be able to "market" until they can also give a taste.

That'll change mid-October during open Beta

Stok3d
08-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Stok3d - I think you meant "Hex is a TCG"... :)

Fixed. :)

KiraForce
08-20-2013, 08:30 PM
I already have a friend joining up with Slacker Backer on my dime, because I'm that good a friend. So +1 community member on Friday, when I get paid.

Barkam
08-20-2013, 08:30 PM
That'll change mid-October during open Beta

Oh is that from a CZE employee? I missed that bit of information.

keroko
08-20-2013, 08:34 PM
i posted on my linkedin a week back pointing out that its a good deal for fiddy usd.

there's not enough on instagram,
twitter has stuff from the active bloggers who post here a lot,
i dont do facebook unless they make me for a competition or code or blah so dunno there.
im not on reddit enough to know if theres active chatter. I'm sure the bloggers / podcaster and fan sites people scan that stuff and know.
twitch integration will be awesome, you'll hear a lot of cursing.
^ smite by hi rez studios does this rly well and gives cosmetic skins out as rewards for bcasting a lot.

if there's not a physical face to hex then it might be good to encourage the virtual community early and hard, I'm sure that's a goal for every game company trying to do a launch and healthy ecosystem. wowfaces was a little daft but having customizable representations of player self manifested in some game form is a neat way of linking players I think. Like for party building, or assigning players to various 'parts of the large scale raid battle fields to come' - it'd be nice to see a shin'hare priest card you could place up front by the tanks and have that template used in tonights raid. something to fiddle with on the mobile version on the toilet when you've no time for a game due to stupid business requirements etc.

hex_colin
08-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Oh is that from a CZE employee? I missed that bit of information.

No, I'd guess it's an extrapolation from a comment made months ago - "Beta will be three weeks after Alpha" of something similar. It might happen, but I wouldn't count on it just in case,

Madican
08-20-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm not spreading the word of Hex much until I have a product I can point to.

keroko
08-20-2013, 08:48 PM
I've been avoiding my own guild because they were being cheatyfaces early on with simulators they built but its all getting close now.

Looking at the card art has been a lot of fun but I for one am not reading the rules on the cards or items past their names and the spread of the rarities really. its to be a surprise! i hope i only ever get rabbits in packs, maybe coyotle, maybe humans! will there be angel bunnies?

http://youtu.be/MSxt3P_tR_c

HyenaNipples
08-20-2013, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't try to compete with the tsunami of public excitement over a new Blizzard online game. It will simmer down soon enough, especially if the game is as shallow as everyone says.

Attacking them with Hex info might just stir up fanboy zealotry, thus prolonging Hearthstone's time in the spotlight. Just lay low, watch as the starry-eyes fade, and see what people are thinking in a few weeks.

tautologico
08-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Yeah I'm not sure this would help "the cause". People will get excited for Hearthstone and play it and I don't think hammering them about HEX is going to change that. Most reports from the closed beta point to a very polished and addictive game, but if it doesn't have depth then players that enjoy the game may graduate to deeper alternatives, and HEX is a natural choice in this case.

This is a review from the closed beta for reference:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/hearthstone-heroes-of-warcraft-mixes-magic-with-peggle-and-takes-you-home-a

Madican
08-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Patience is key here. When Hex releases it will draw people in. That's when we start spreading the word, when people have something to work with.

Patrigan
08-20-2013, 10:44 PM
I too agree with the wait a while sentiment. Give Hearthstone its moment in the spotlight. The Alpha period is actually the perfect time to start getting more players in. People will have actual streams to look at, discussions will actually take place.

Shortly before alpha starts, I will start reminding fellow kickstarter backers who currently don't have it in their head like some of us.
When alpha launches, I will try to get some streaming going, or get a good friend of mine (who sadly didn't back), to stream through my account. I will also attempt to get gamepedia/curse to put it on the front page again, when alpha has launched, as a reminder to the backers and as an entry point for new players.

Don't jump the gun, because some other game has the spotlight. You will just look jealous and people will dismiss Hex even more because we might look scared of hearthstone :)

Xintia
08-20-2013, 10:46 PM
You know, it could be a GOOD thing for HEX if Hearthstone is popular. A lot more people are going to at least check out a Blizzard product like Hearthstone. And if that catches their interest, then perhaps they will look into other similar products as well... like HEX.

Shadowelf
08-21-2013, 12:54 AM
Patience is key here. When Hex releases it will draw people in. That's when we start spreading the word, when people have something to work with.

You know, it could be a GOOD thing for HEX if Hearthstone is popular. A lot more people are going to at least check out a Blizzard product like Hearthstone. And if that catches their interest, then perhaps they will look into other similar products as well... like HEX.

This; already persuaded one of my friends to back KS, the others couldn't be persuaded till they had something more tangible. But i know i got their interest.

keldrin
08-21-2013, 01:42 AM
I'm actively telling people about Hex.
And I think people being aware of it, is a really good thing.
But, like was said, til alpha, it's hard to get other people excited about it.

Sci3nce
08-21-2013, 01:48 AM
As a Casual player myself, I think Hearthstone is going to be bad for HEX. Just the beautiful visuals make the HEX UI look like something from the 90's. HS's ease of play vs constant "Pass Priority" is also easier to pick up and play. The only thing HEX has going for it is the ability to trade cards but if they want to grab the majority of Casual players, there's a lot of work to be done.

Xenavire
08-21-2013, 03:59 AM
Well, I have told pretty much everyone I know (including my mother) and hijacked my friends blog/game review site and made a huge hype post during kickstarter, so I pretty much tapped out all of my resources already. Might have another whack at it later, and will try livestreaming my games to get people interested.

Icepick
08-21-2013, 04:01 AM
I've been telling all my friends but until there is actually something they can play it's hard to make them care.

Vengus
08-21-2013, 04:04 AM
It is understandable that people wait until they can actually play. Lots of games were overhyped in the last few years and since then people are a lot more careful about getting hyped for an unreleased game.

Xenavire
08-21-2013, 04:16 AM
Some games are exempt from that though, especially within fanbases. Look at the new Pokemon game for 3DS out in October - the hype is massive within the Pokemon community, to the point it is starting to reach the general public. Diablo 3 had the same hype and was a huge disappointment, so it is understandable for people to be wary despite something seeming to good to be true.

Have to say though, Hex seems amazing. When it goes live it will be a hype engine for itself.

Stok3d
08-21-2013, 05:34 AM
I'm actively telling people about Hex.
And I think people being aware of it, is a really good thing.
But, like was said, til alpha, it's hard to get other people excited about it.

Yeah, it's just so others know it exists is all. "Hex, wth is Hex--let me google it and see what all this clammer is about". I mean we're soon going to have an alpha where you can have 4x of every card in game with currency given to us to test. That's a dream come true for TCGs.

I think this is a perfect opportunity to get ppl talking about it as millions are currently showing curiosity in this genre they haven't touched before. HS isn't out yet either, but analyzing "comparison charts" between the two games is helpful.

As others have stated, Hearthstone could be the best thing imaginable for bringing ppl to this game in mass. Just trying to help ride the wave is all.

Shadowelf
08-21-2013, 05:53 AM
What would have been awesome is if Cory had figured out how to entice vendors into running alpha release events across the globe. I mean most players still playing at local level, and this would have worked wonders towards game's promotion. You know hex banners at shops that run those events, free stuff (boosters, foil cards, hex keychains); This would have skyrocketed people's awareness and interest to the game. I know it is in their plans (http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874 check 0:52:18), and i just hope it won't take too long for them to find the best way to do it

MoikPEI
08-21-2013, 06:16 AM
Hex is going to get a trial by fire on a Surface Pro once Alpha is out. I'm gonna toss it onto a work one and evangelize for others to play.

(Assuming that's permissible.)
(Assuming they can catch me!)

ossuary
08-21-2013, 06:41 AM
I managed to convince two of my (now former) workmates to back the KS at the last minute, one of whom had never played a TCG before so that was a big "get" to convert him. ;)

I had a third work friend who is a bigtime MtG whale almost on the hook, but he decided at the last minute that he can only afford to have the one vice for now. I suspect he will end up converting himself once the game is actually available, though, because he spends about 65% of his MtG play time bitching about how the nearest FLGS is an hour away from where we live.

I think I MIGHT have my brother in California interested as well, I was showing him the kickstarter stuff when I was down there (he LOVED the pitch video with Cory doing anything for money). I'm seriously considering buying a Slacker Backer for him as an early birthday present so he can get the sweet alpha access.

Other than that, I don't plan to do any pushing until the game is closer to release. I've had too many conversations with "average" gamers who lose interest entirely as soon as they find out they can't play it yet. Too many people are very much in the "show me now" category.

HyenaNipples
08-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Alpha release events? Those are a thing? I'm pretty sure those are not things for good reasons.

Cryptozoic, being an experienced company, has something up their sleeves for Beta and Release. By then, Hearthstone is going to be old news. I think major Christmas releases are going to be a bigger problem- are the new consoles coming out this year or the next?

keroko
08-21-2013, 07:24 AM
(Assuming that's permissible.)

^ I read possible sorry, permissible is another thing, heh. if you've admin rights they cannot stop the local install. they may run software inventory scripts or COTs or a hybrid of the two. do you receive automated application installs or can do them on demand from a client on your work system? if you have control of your client, examine a wireshark or other network monitoring application dump of the traffic communications between your system and the corp network. observe at least 24h. determine which application processes are communicating with corporate systems, and which ports they use for communications. If you can identify the reporting agent (should one exist) you can route traffic to its server components to a null route, host firewall block the comms or prevent execution of the executable involved either through service startup status modification or just by ruining the executable. Doing this will likely just make your machine appear offline to the reporting system. note that the client component on your local machine may be capable of record keeping while disconnected from central components and may report activity on resumption of normal connectivity.

Whether or not you can get to it online is a thing over the corp networks (esp without detection, some admin shops 'let' you do what you want but keep tabs). there's always just piggybacking off your cell phones data plan for the tablet, no issues there, but don't bridge the connections and host firewall up the cell one unless you want more headaches from IT.

A best bet might be to hook a external ssd to the usb 3 port and boot that to another windows install you use for gaming. bitlocker the original installation or use other disk encryption tech and the old drive does not have to be accessible from the gaming installation of windows on the removable drive. You probably do not have space on surface internal storage to do this all on the internal disk.

another option for safety on a corp machine would be to turn virtualization support on in bios and then use win8 (must have pro/enterprise version) and add the hyperv component. this plus some storage on an external disk gives the client OS the ability to host multiple virtual machines; so you can run another host which'll just exist as a disk blob that gets loaded up and hosted under the main one. Just like xboxone is gonna work.

dunno what ports hex'll use for comms - hopefully all done on 443 - at scale they're gonna need some hardware ssl boxes you might think. Are they estimating this thing to like ~30k with 5k concurrent bursting maybe sustaining 10-15k around launch in initial load calculation?

surface pro is windows 8 standard (unless you reimage the corp ones) with an i5 and an integrated HD4000 GPU on the processor with reasonably fast storage.

It'll run hex great.

Shadowelf
08-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Alpha release events? Those are a thing? I'm pretty sure those are not things for good reasons.

Cryptozoic, being an experienced company, has something up their sleeves for Beta and Release. By then, Hearthstone is going to be old news. I think major Christmas releases are going to be a bigger problem- are the new consoles coming out this year or the next?

Cory’s dream is that hex will be run into local shops; how he dreams on doing this is by allowing vendors to have a vendor’s account with cze, run tournaments, then by entering a code they will be receiving a cut of the profits depending on the boosters sold (http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874 check 0:52:18). I was just saying how awesome it would have been if they had already found a formula and this was possible to happen during Alpha's release. But i don't see this happening real soon.....

keroko
08-21-2013, 08:06 AM
if CZE play it crafty and latch onto the existing hobby gaming ecosystem (which is kind of their bread and butter professionally and personally we're hearing from the staff more and more now) they could be very successful with this venture.

there'd have to be strong incentive for a shop vendor to introduce a medium which has been viewed in many industries as a destroyer. While it might save time, I cannot imagine that many pos workers at safeway are pleased when they consider the notion of all those lines self-serve automated. likewise there might be perception that something like these 'online card game' things could negatively impact hobby gaming business and community form. that's probably distressing in a way?

profit sharing sounds great in concept; more customers through the door - and a 'different' type too that might buy other stuff. the potential is enormous if integration can appear natural.

complicated politics. the economist will be busy.

MoikPEI
08-21-2013, 08:09 AM
@Keroko: The machines are all fully unlocked for anyone to install anything. I work in outsourced QA, so we're installing a lot of stuff from a wide variety of clients constantly, admin restrictions would be costly to productiveness. :)
My 'permissible' concern relates more to CZE's perspective on sharing the Alpha. What would be awesome is if the alpha allows concurrent logins, so I could do like a LAN type thing. But, it would make sense to me if that was restricted already.

Facilier
08-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I think Alpha release celebrations isn't a great idea: alphas are supposed to offer more clues as to how the game may one day function, and can be expected to have plenty of bugs, which is our responsibility to report so when the game comes to release, it will be great.

We are all excited, but I think the type to hype it to outsiders is not here yet.

khamelk
08-21-2013, 08:47 AM
As a Casual player myself, I think Hearthstone is going to be bad for HEX. Just the beautiful visuals make the HEX UI look like something from the 90's. HS's ease of play vs constant "Pass Priority" is also easier to pick up and play. The only thing HEX has going for it is the ability to trade cards but if they want to grab the majority of Casual players, there's a lot of work to be done.

In looking at the interface at Gencon the Pass Priority buttons can be optionally turned off (basically you can choose to see them when you want to) so that should help also we have only gotten the smallest glimpse of the visuals for Hex, so I am sure they have much more in store for us. They are keeping the "in game" effects light because of speed and cleanness of the system, while I think they will be ramping the visuals elsewhere.

MoikPEI
08-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Well, the GenCon LAN was an Alpha, and a plurality of people seem to have come out of it more excited about the game. I think it'll be a safe bet that we can start hyping. :)

I find that a lot of my RL friends/co-workers have been brushing off the game due to misunderstandings.
Ex, one didn't want to play because he didn't want to compete against KS rewards so I had to clear up that they're PvE only. Another saw The Transcended and considered it as an independent card using MtG as frame of reference, as though it cost two white and four to put a 6/5 demonic tutor into play, so I had to clear up the digital aspects like transformation, and got into a good convo about the benefits of the threshold system. It feels like there are a lot of people who are simply on the fence due to having different conceptions about the game than what is reality.

EntropyBall
08-21-2013, 09:05 AM
I don't see Hex competing with Hearthstone. The complexity of the rules for games like MTG/Hex are a huge barrier to entry for many players. I have hopes that I can get my wife (who knows half the basic rules of MTG) to play PVE Hex, but if I got a Hearthstone beta key I am certain she would try it. The gameplay mechanics look like they can be learned (hopefully not mastered) in 5 minutes, and it uses IP that she is familiar with from all our time playing WoW.

I just think the games will appeal to different markets, and unfortunately I think that the casual market HS will hit is much larger than the one that Hex will hit.

Facilier
08-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Well, the GenCon LAN was an Alpha, and a plurality of people seem to have come out of it more excited about the game. I think it'll be a safe bet that we can start hyping. :)

The line was very long on friday, it wrapped all the way around the play area. it took probably 30 minutes. The murder inc folks and I chatted, we asked others around us if they were backers (virtually everyone was) I tried to attach some forum names to faces at this point, but few people were actually forumites at this juncture.

According to eyewitness reports that was a pretty biased audience. A lot of the time people only get one shot at a first impression, so can be worthwhile not over-hyping it too early, until people can get their hands on the actual game experience to give them context for our excited stories.

Card games are a niche experience for a number of reasons. As EntropyBall says there is the complexity of card games, which can seem very abstract. As an example I have been reading at people's reactions to some SolForge card interruptions, and newbies are repeatedly shocked (badly) at things like stat reductions bypassing armour (which makes a creature ignore the first X damage from any source), reporting them as bugs. On top of that you get the perception of non-interactivity, with static images rather than avatars, and the turn-based gameplay, which will make some feel like they are spending half the time actually playing. There is the general lack of accessibility (which is the area most transformed by Hex).

For me, I plan to leave the evangelizing over the game to non-card players until it launches into at least open data, to stop a few crashes and glitches putting people off what will be a great game.