PDA

View Full Version : Spear for 5000 [Alternative Win Deck]

Dropbear
08-20-2013, 10:19 PM
http://www.hex-datamine.com/cards/Sliver-of-the-Immortal-Spear/img/dl_cards/GYUgXtV.jpg

I am a fan of stupid alternative wins. Apart from Mill, the most interesting win condition right now is the spoiled card Sliver of the Immortal Spear. Put down 5 of these, tap, and you instantly win the game. Of course, there's the downside of having to put in multiple spears at the cost of your own life. Interesting, but seems quite possible!

THE COMBO
4x Sliver of the Immortal Spear [2]-
You only need to tap one of these to get the minimum 5 spears in your deck, but let's be honest: the chances of you drawing all of them in time is low. Recommendation is probably to lose 6 life to get 4 + 4 spears in the deck.

4x Dopplegadget [5]-
Recently got a nerf, but gives us a potential 12 slivers to draw still, so very much viable in a deck like this. The mana cost is high, however.

ENABLER
4x Journeyman Technician [1]S
You pay [1] less for artifacts. That's HUGE, especially if you get out two or three. Once this guy is down, Slivers cost only 1 mana to play, and Dopplegadgets are in the realms of turn 3 possibilities. Useful as a blocker too if worst comes to worst.

CARD DRAW
4x Research Librarian [2]S
Tap to draw a card, starting from 7 mana. Expensive, BUT it reduces with each artifact on the field. And yes, useful as a blocker.

4x Secret Laboratory [3]-
Draw a card, discard a card. Good searching tool.

4x Oracle Song [3]S
Draw 2 cards. Card advantage, woo.

3x Peek [1]S
You can potentially combo this with Oracle or Librarian to give you all the spears you could ever want.

2x Ascetic Aspirant [4]DD
You're going to have a lot of card advantage and draw with all these cards, so having 6-7 each turn could be possible, making Enlightened Seeker's quest almost instant, giving you Transended to pick up any card in your deck... say, Spears?

SURVIVAL/COUNTERS
4x Inner Conflict [2]D
We have almost no useful creatures to attack or defend with, meaning this is our best defence against heavy hitters in our grill.

4x Countermagic [3]SS
Seems to be the best interupt in the game right now, plus gives a lot of hate to cards in their deck. See if there's anything better as a counter after alpha, otherwise keep this in.

NEEDED: BOARD WIPE
There isn't much in the way of board wipe in the cards spoiled that doesn't help the opposition. Remember, we want to keep out a spear to put more into the deck.

RESOURCES
15x Sapphire
8x Diamond

I bloody hope that dual lands are commons and aren't expensive as fuck.

CHAMPION
One of the only times Wyatt the Sapper might be recommended due to card draw being needed a lot in this deck. However, the game MAY be over before the card draw can be used. An alternative is to use Bertram Cragraven and sacrifice Worker Bots for defence AND it helps Research Librarian's card find mana costs. Your choice.

---
Thoughts and comments appreciated as well as alternative cards that could replace the ones in here. Hope to see alternative wins to be plentiful in Hex!

Malicus
08-21-2013, 01:02 AM
I started trying to look at it though going for blood to give you murder + board wipe and just got frustrated because I had to keep cutting all the good cards to make the alternate win con work :P.

If you were running say a life gain deck though I could certainly see simply adding 4 of these as an alternate win con being viable though we haven't seen much (any?) artifact removal yet (except chaos key) but I am sure it is there.

Dropbear
08-21-2013, 05:46 AM
Artifact removal is going to be sideboard for only a few decks, I can't think of a single deck apart from Sapphire Dwaves that would abuse artifacts, and mass removal is more likely to be included for that due to the dredge of worker bots. Correct me if wrong.

Yeah, Sapphire Blood could be viable but you're cutting off Ascetic Aspirant and Inner Conflict, which in my opinion work much better in this. Inner Conflict is basically Murder but cheap as we're more worried about them attacking, rather than their abilities.

Interestingly, I had Eternal Youth in the original deck so I could spam new spears every turn, but then I realised that if I was getting to that point I probably lost the game ten turns ago.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Preface: when I review decks, I pretty much always review from a competitive mindset, so don't take criticisms to heart. ^^

From my experience with Ascetic Aspirant, if you want to get him to the Transcended ASAP, you typically have to not expand your board position, which leaves you vulnerable. Pretty much, my best experience has been turn 2 Living Totem (hit by a -atk gem on their next turn), turn 4 Ascetic Aspirant (4 cards in hand), turn 5 (5 cards in hand), Oracle Song (6 cards in hand), pass, at their end of turn transform, Murder before my turn.

The biggest issue here is that Sliver does *nothing* until it wins. Well actually, it drains you until then, and also takes up spot/s of cards which could actually keep you alive. As long as they keep you off 5, they're in a strong spot, and if you lose the game with 4 slivers, it's as though you had to mulligan to 3. >.<

But to analyse the whole deck...

*Journeyman Technician doesn't exist anymore. It's now Technical Genius, which is 2 cost, 1 saph thresh, for a 1/2 with the -1 to play artifacts effect.
*Research Librarian doesn't get cards cheap, and at 1/2 he's only useful as a blocker against 1 drops from control decks (or inspire decks that have opted for Kraken Guard Mariner). >.< I'd test though and see how quickly you can get his ability to activation.
*I'll let you slide with Peek, though you should probably make the deck mono-sapphire instead (diamond isn't offering you enough atm). Generally though, outside of combo Peek's pretty bad, and even in combo it's still card disadvantage. Personally, I can't imagine I'd ever run it.
*On Ascetic Aspirant, see above. In most cases, you have to at one point or another intentionally not do anything on turns just to get him into Transcended range. Plus, Eternal Seekers dies to pretty much everything (and any color can run Sapper's Charge in their sideboard).
*And the big one - Zombie Plague has pretty much mandated that control/midrange decks run some non-troop removal in their sideboard (ie. at this point, Argus and Chaos Key, but there will likely be color specific artifact and constant destruction when the whole set is released), so the combo's not untouchable. >.< Actually, Argus alone can stop the deck.

Should certainly be a fun and viable deck in casual though.

gohan661
08-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Yea right, and how many times did you summon Exodia?

Norious
08-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Game Question: If you play this card, does it go on the battlefield and can be removed at any time, does the counters reset if it is brought back from graveyard?

edit: i am trying to visualize this - so a token spear is put in your hand.. This card is more or less like a sorcery?

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-30-2013, 12:31 PM
As an artifact, when you play the Sliver it stays on the battlefield. If you activate the ability, you create a brand new Sliver of the Immortal Spear card and shuffle it into your deck, and increase the life cost of the ability.

It can be removed any time a player has priority to play a card or ability that could remove it, and if it comes back to the battlefield after being removed, the life cost will be the same as when it left. Permanent changes like that in Hex stick around, unless the card in question gets reverted (which means to change it back to its original form).

chansen005
09-02-2013, 12:15 PM
I think you got it mixed up.... you said ALTERNATE win condition, but based on your deck it's the PRIMARY win condition..... good luck. i hope to face you for a hopefully easy win

the_artic_one
09-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Yea right, and how many times did you summon Exodia?

Exodia decks were viable in the first couple sets of Yugioh before they banned all the ridiculous card draw.

Armies
09-02-2013, 06:23 PM
wasn't just the card draw was the searching as well with sangan and witch of the black forest type cards

EmraldArcher
10-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Spear has had the health cost removed.

I tried sticking it in a creaturless b/d life gain deck with lots of removal but it seemed like it really needed some card draw which is pretty lacking in those 2 colors.