PDA

View Full Version : Gen Con demo UI feedback

Ludomancer
08-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Hey guys, I played the Gen Con demo a few times during Gen Con, and I have some feedback about the User Interface, as it stands, and what should be improved before Alpha.

First, let me say that the game was quite fun. I'm looking forward to playing it for real. Now the critiques!

Click vs. double-click: In the current version, you double-click a Resource card to play one, and you single-click other cards to play them. You also single-click cards in play to tap them. This is all a bit inconvenient; I played a few cards by mistake when I was trying to move them around my hand, or tapped things I meant to move around the board. Please make playing and activating cards a double-click.

Only seeing top card of discards: I know this is the Magic way of doing things, but Hex can be better if they want to! If my opponent uses a few quick actions in succession, the only time I get to see them is when they're in the stack. I think both players should be able to look at every card in all graveyards, so it's easier to see how combos were built.

Floating tool tips: I'm sure that Crypto is aware of this bug, but in the current version the floating tool-tips stay on screen for the res of the game, blocking your view of the cards. Please make sure these messages get dismissed properly!

More obvious 'charge power available' notification: Currently, the charge power button simply goes from grayed-out to not grayed-out when a power is available. It's very easy to miss if you're not paying attention. I think this change of state needs a little visual oomph, and maybe a sound effect.

Good stuff guys, keep it up!

BossHoss
08-21-2013, 07:25 AM
1. Do you really want to double-click 30 shin-hare?
2. If you click on the graveyard a new window opened up... Im sure it will be polished in the future
3. If you zoomed a new card without floating tool-tips they disappeared... This will be gone for sure in the future
4. I agree about a slightly more visible queue for the charge power notification... Missed a couple opportunities myself

Can`t wait to see this game evolve over the years!

zadies
08-21-2013, 07:42 AM
An attack with all button would fix a lot of that zerg swarm issue.

keroko
08-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Do you really want to double-click 30 shin-hare?

yes.

Gwaer
08-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Just being able to untap, and go back on some selections would fix the accidental use problems.

hammer
08-21-2013, 08:02 AM
I noticed during early streams that troops tended to obstrucure the view of the phase wheel in the middle of the screen. Was this addressed in the Gencon build, if not did anyone see this as needing attention or was it fine as is.

Gwaer
08-21-2013, 08:13 AM
There's another phase wheel on the left hand side of the screen, it's smaller, but always visible. So the center wheel wasn't really an issue.

HyenaNipples
08-21-2013, 08:16 AM
I imagine 'drag and drop' card play is on the way.

keroko
08-21-2013, 08:21 AM
touch support is a necessity for the tablet / mobile clients?

full support in windows client would be very nice, mtgo kinda works ok with touch.

Doubleored
08-21-2013, 08:45 AM
I would like to see a better notification of when it was your turn, especially on the first. I missed my first turn completely in a couple of games because I didn't realize I could go first (I got used to being unlucky and going 2nd lol).

Otherwise I'm really looking forward to this game - most of the other issues were bugs and I expect those will be fixed as time goes on.

Doubleored

Madican
08-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Yes I do want double-click to activate a card. My mouse is far too sensitive and it will cause me grief if it's single-click only.

Kami
08-21-2013, 09:33 AM
As a technical request, please allow full-screen borderless windowed mode. It'd be a boon to streamers.

Not directly game UI related but still UI related.

Facilier
08-21-2013, 09:39 AM
As a technical request, please allow full-screen borderless windowed mode. It'd be a boon to streamers.

And people running multiple monitors. I am not sure I recall how to run with just 1 monitor at a time.

Kami
08-21-2013, 09:46 AM
And people running multiple monitors. I am not sure I recall how to run with just 1 monitor at a time.

Ooo, good point. Imagine having part of the interface on one screen (such as chat, library, news, etc.) and being able to separate the gameplay interface (or other UI) on another screen.

FenMiHuo
08-21-2013, 09:55 AM
As for the double click, there are times when I would rather double, and times for single. Double click to play cards for sure, you shouldnt just auto play anything you click on in your hand, when it comes to declaring attacks, single click is fine, and the ability to tap or untap indefinitly until you "commit" to the attack when you are ready or something like that.

Tinuvas
08-21-2013, 10:38 AM
What about an option in 'settings' to allow either double or single. It seems to work well for the draft simulator...

Barkam
08-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Yes I do want double-click to activate a card. My mouse is far too sensitive and it will cause me grief if it's single-click only.

The best solution is to implement "drag and drop" to activate cards. It is standard now. You can find it in almost all card games.

Madican
08-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Drag and drop will still sometimes trigger my mouse and that is something I do not want. Make double-click a toggle option at the very least.

Facilier
08-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Ooo, good point. Imagine having part of the interface on one screen (such as chat, library, news, etc.) and being able to separate the gameplay interface (or other UI) on another screen.

But the second monitor is where I watch football... So gonna have to cast a vote against the awesome customisable UI suggestion as it risks me not getting to see J.J. Watt win the Deacon Jones Award live.

Corpselocker
08-21-2013, 04:02 PM
I support a drag and drop system that requires three clicks and then a L, R, L, R, Up, Down, select from a manditory controller plug in order to confirm a card choice :P

Other than my antics, I like the feedback in this thread. Not just problems, but some solutions to them.

Barborin
08-21-2013, 04:11 PM
It would be good if they gave you some way to mark cards. Especially when there are 30 shin'hare on the board. Also, I'd like to see some sort of indication of cards and their "pets". For example, I can't remember the name of the card off the top of my head, but it's a troop that produces an owl pet that buffs the original troop when it attacks.

Kami
08-21-2013, 04:14 PM
But the second monitor is where I watch football... So gonna have to cast a vote against the awesome customisable UI suggestion as it risks me not getting to see J.J. Watt win the Deacon Jones Award live.

Um... what?

Customizable would mean it doesn't force you to use the second monitor for the game. :/

Facilier
08-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Customizable would mean it doesn't force you to use the second monitor for the game. :/

You proposed solution is willpower? Nonsense. I'll just have to add 2 more monitors.

pheaver
08-21-2013, 05:14 PM
I'd like it if they added an option to pass priority until I deselect this option. Clicking that over and over and sometimes clicking through a phase by mistake was annoying.

Paul

Xenavire
08-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Never make drag and drop mandatory. I hate it, it does not feel natural to me. Go with click/double click/drag as options.

kaffis
08-21-2013, 08:55 PM
I would like to see a better notification of when it was your turn, especially on the first. I missed my first turn completely in a couple of games because I didn't realize I could go first (I got used to being unlucky and going 2nd lol).

Otherwise I'm really looking forward to this game - most of the other issues were bugs and I expect those will be fixed as time goes on.
This was my first thought when playing. In particular, I feel like the "Next:" line of the UI at the top is incredibly under-utilized and/or mislabelled. I haven't been following game mechanics very closely, so I'm not sure how multiplayer stuff will eventually work, but I would generally find it far more useful to know whose PHASE was up next rather than whose TURN. Of course, having both would future-proof it against multiplayer, as well as be more immediately useful.

It would be good if they gave you some way to mark cards. Especially when there are 30 shin'hare on the board. Also, I'd like to see some sort of indication of cards and their "pets". For example, I can't remember the name of the card off the top of my head, but it's a troop that produces an owl pet that buffs the original troop when it attacks.
Whenever a card generates (or otherwise references) a different card by name, there should be a way to look up the card it references. I forget the name of the card, but the blue deck card that generates the flying 2/2 is the one that I'm thinking of as the example -- when that comes out turn 1, a player who hasn't played against that card has NO idea whether or not to be concerned with that ability. Not to mention a player who first gets the card himself...

I'd like it if they added an option to pass priority until I deselect this option. Clicking that over and over and sometimes clicking through a phase by mistake was annoying.
This would be handy. In particular, if the UI showed me a list or graphic representation of the turn phases for myself and my opponent and let me choose a phase in which to stop passing, this would be fantastic. Bonus points for "pass after 3 seconds" or something, so I can get a chance to read the card title if I'm generally familiar with the cards.

Leingod
08-21-2013, 11:50 PM
I think double click with the ability to select multiple cards by dragging would likely be the best option overall as a control scheme. Allows both precision and flexibilty. Though obviously toggles for other control schemes would be a nice touch.