PDA

View Full Version : Hexmusings presents: an interview with Ben Stoll (lead designer), with a new spoiler!

rajaat9
08-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Hello all you fans of this awesome looking game. I am just returned from GenCon, having had a sweet interview with Ben Stoll, lead PvP designer for Hex. It's 100% worth a read if you want to get a little more in depth information on the design of the game and its future. It also includes a card that (as far as I can tell) is not spoiled anywhere else, and trust me, you will be playing this card in your decks. You might want to learn what it does.

check it out here: http://hexmusings.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/designer-interview/

And be sure to check back often, there will be more exclusive content coming soon!

Slish
08-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Nice interview. I think it's the first official confirmation of what the non-basic resources are? :)

Looking forward to the next part of the interview.

rajaat9
08-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks Slish! Everything I do I do for you (and people like you).

Yes, I believe it was the first official confirmation, which, I won't lie, I'm pretty happy about getting. Part 2 should be up fairly soon, probably the next few days when I have time to write and edit it.

I actually really prefer the written format to a video, especially one recorded at GenCon...it was incredibly noisy in the exhibit hall, and that really detracts from the interview experience. Nothing can be said off the record either, so one usually gets very sanitized, corporate responses. With a written interview, I can go on and off-the-record as needed, as well as edit for clarity and cut all the random asides. And as someone who often browses from a phone, it's FAR easier to read something than watch it, in my opinion. You can read an interview from work, on a noisy bus, or anywhere else, but videos are far more restrictive.

Icepick
08-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Nice interview. I love the hook that the non-basic resources are called Shards of Fate, that's just brilliant. Looking forward to the next part!

rajaat9
08-24-2013, 08:54 PM
part 2 is now up, and hopefully the final part 3 next week.

rajaat9
08-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Hexmusings has possibly the most important card spoiler in the set.

Shard of Fate
Resource
When this enters play, create a threshold that any Source in your deck could create.
[0/1]

Confirmation. (http://hexmusings.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/designer-interview/)

A non-basic resource! Threshold fixing is very important and this is the first confirmed card that does it well.

for the mods: I realize this isn't necessarily the right forum for this, but as it is a card spoiler, I felt it belonged in general discussion thread.

felmare
08-24-2013, 09:17 PM
A+ good interview

rajaat9
08-24-2013, 09:19 PM
If you liked it be sure to read part 2.

ramseytheory
08-24-2013, 09:22 PM
I do like that they've got one card fulfilling that role rather than a cycle of ten.

Shadowelf
08-24-2013, 09:33 PM
"The non-basic resources in the set are known as “Shards of Fate”. One such shard has the following ability: When you play it, you can create a resource of any type that you already have in your deck (basically, in a Ruby/Wild/Diamond deck, as long as you have Ruby/Wild/Diamond Sources in your deck the Shard of Fate can create a Ruby, Wild, or Diamond threshold.) This source is 0/1, it does give you a permanent resource but does not add to your pool this turn".

Well this implies that there will more non basic resources in set 1 (ascendant brilliance for example or a cycle of non basic resources ?)

ramseytheory
08-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Yes, but I doubt there will be other non-basic resources for threshold-fixing. Having one card for wild-blood, one for wild-sapphire, one for wild-ruby and so on would just be tedious for collectors and players alike relative to the current solution.

Rycajo
08-24-2013, 10:06 PM
I do like that they've got one card fulfilling that role rather than a cycle of ten.

It is great to have just one card, as a player will only need 4 to then use in any type of deck. All competitive players would likely need a playset.

Now, the big question is: what is the rarity?

If this is a legendary card, it could be quite the chase card.

I would hope it is maybe only an Uncommon so it would show up in limited and be a decent pick to allow splashing.

Leingod
08-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Name says legendary or rare, but I agree that uncommon would be the best spot for it balance-wise.

rajaat9
08-24-2013, 11:56 PM
This sort of basic effect shouldn't be legendary, it feels like a good uncommon.

Kroan
08-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Isn't this just a strictly worse Evolving Wilds (common land from mtg)? It comes in play "exausted" (or "tapped") and can fetch any "basic" land. But in this case it doesn't filter the land out of your deck.

Edswor
08-25-2013, 02:09 AM
Very good interview and very good questions/answers.

Shadowelf
08-25-2013, 02:12 AM
HEX is not like the other games you've seen in the digital space. You can trust true, experienced TCG developers to always have a solid base of commons that are tournament staples, budget decks (I believe a $30 deck recently won one of our other tournaments and earned the player thousands of dollars in prizes) that can compete, and the Auction House, trading to both allow players far more ways to build their collection and compete.
(source http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...79694#comments)

Well according to what they believe and the fact that this card could as well be a tournament staple (depending on what other mana fixers they will have), this might be a common/uncommon.

Icepick
08-25-2013, 04:20 AM
Why have you created 2 separate threads for links to the same article? Pretty uncool.

rajaat9
08-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Icepick: I actually didn't, or rather, they were not meant for the same forum. One was posted in general, but got moved here. Sorry to be uncool. This is the problem with having multiple forums browsed by different groups of people.

Icepick
08-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Icepick: I actually didn't, or rather, they were not meant for the same forum. One was posted in general, but got moved here. Sorry to be uncool. This is the problem with having multiple forums browsed by different groups of people.

Oh right, I guess that makes sense. I forgive you :P
This wasn't even the thread that I originally made that post in - it looks like they merged the two or something. It's all very confusing and unclear.

Kroan
08-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Cross posting is as bad as double posting tbh

rajaat9
08-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Is cross posting so bad when the overlap on the two forums is so low? Or rather, everyone on fansite news browses general, but no everyone on general (in fact, nearly no one on general) browses fansite news. Either way, I'll try and avoid it in the future, sorry.

ramseytheory
08-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Honestly I'm not a fan of cross-posting, but I think most people who don't check the fansite forum would still be interested in the new card spoiler so it was probably warranted in this case.

Skirovik
09-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Pretty interesting read.

Is part 3 up? If so, could you please link to it? I can't seem to find it on the site.

Cheers.