PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Dungeon tournaments!

dogmod
08-22-2013, 01:32 PM
So Hex needs gold sinks. They have stated that they have some great fun ideas for gold sinks but I think this one would be pretty fun.

Dungeon Tournaments!

The basic idea is a PvE tournament where each player is randomly assigned a dungeon deck and play against other players with dungeon decks. For example you could be playing as the crazed town member from the Kraken dungeon vs a Gnoll warrior from the junk yard. I think it would be really fun to play as one of your favorite dungeon decks. The rewards for the tournament could be PvE cards from whichever dungeon your deck was from or you could earn cards from the dungeons of the decks you beat as you went along. Entering the tournament would cost a nontrivial amount of gold acting as a sink for Gold and a fun way to spend your gold.

It would be cool for people who may not be interested in deck building to play using a preconstructed deck. With the digital space “preconstructed” tournaments could be a really fun thing, letting people play as decks they don’t own before and won’t own afterwards.

Now the decks would likely have to be balanced and the way in which the decks are chosen could either be random or some other way. Perhaps you would get to choose from 3 random options presented to you at the start so you won't always be able to play the same deck but you do have some agency in choosing what you will be playing.

Any thoughts or changes you would make to this idea?

If you like this idea, it and others are posted on my shared google document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G_ekhon1GYf3OgtXlFAuFonHkbDCxMiI_HTaryRgXhc/edit?usp=sharing

Gwaer
08-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Great idea! Seriously. Came expecting something entirely different.

BossHoss
08-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Agreed! Random playstyles would be fun too, ex. chaos key type rules for this round, etc.

keldrin
08-22-2013, 02:13 PM
What? I was sure this was going to be about having jousts inside dungeons.

I like the concept. Being able to play dungeon decks would be fun. I would like to add though, that we should be able to bring our own side board. The reason being, in the game, we will be constructing our decks to go against the specific dungeons. Having random dungeon decks go against each other, runs the risk of one deck, being totally vulnerable to the other deck.
Here's the catch, you're going to have a time limit to through a side board together before the tournament starts. Something like 15 minutes.
What about the concept, of only having a chance of getting decks you've already defeated (or at least played against).

BossHoss
08-22-2013, 02:24 PM
I would also like to see cubestyle PvE draft as a gold sink... These drafts only contain cards that are unavailable to players. Kind of like the MtG cubes with the "unattainable" black lotus etc.

Probably a good idea to have these "Boss deck cubes" open in limited increments (2 weeksish) as to not detract from actual draft too

dogmod
08-22-2013, 02:34 PM
What? I was sure this was going to be about having jousts inside dungeons.

I like the concept. Being able to play dungeon decks would be fun. I would like to add though, that we should be able to bring our own side board. The reason being, in the game, we will be constructing our decks to go against the specific dungeons. Having random dungeon decks go against each other, runs the risk of one deck, being totally vulnerable to the other deck.
Here's the catch, you're going to have a time limit to through a side board together before the tournament starts. Something like 15 minutes.
What about the concept, of only having a chance of getting decks you've already defeated (or at least played against).

I was also thinking about the unlocking decks as you progress through dungeons. I was sort of +- on it as my original concept was for more of a random experience with preconstructed decks. I wanted it to be lighter and less decision heavy on the deck construction sideboard aspects. If you locked someone into certain decks as they hadn't beat other dungeons I think it changes the over all strategy. But if the first few decks you unlocked are very vanilla then I could see it as being okay.

My issue with sideboarding etc is that it pulls the focus away from the game between the two players. I like sideboarding on the level of constructed tournies etc but I saw this idea more along the lines of an introductory to PvP to PvE players or as a light side game for people who are more serious PvPE but want to focus on the play challenge. There could still be some interesting Meta in terms of choices of decks if you are presented 3 to choose from and varying playstyles.

Those are my thoughts but I really like the ideas you had. If they incorporated them I would be stoked too :).

My other thought was that if we are giving out dungeon loot as prizes you may force players to make cost benefit decisions such as:

I don't really like playing as the Siren from the kraken dungeon but I REALLY want a chance at getting the Kraken dungeon loot.. hmmmm.

Icepick
08-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Hah, yeah that would be pretty cool. I suspect it would have to be a subset of the dungeon decks for balance reasons, but this would certainly be pretty entertaining.

iscariotrex
08-22-2013, 07:07 PM
I think this is a pretty solid idea. I really like the idea of unlocking the ability to use that dungeon's deck by having done the content already. This reminds me of an idea Cory mentioned where people would be able to be raid bosses that other three person groups would challenge and depending on your ranking as a raid boss there could be greater rewards for winning against you. It has a lot of potential.

keldrin
08-22-2013, 09:49 PM
I think this is a pretty solid idea. I really like the idea of unlocking the ability to use that dungeon's deck by having done the content already. This reminds me of an idea Cory mentioned where people would be able to be raid bosses that other three person groups would challenge and depending on your ranking as a raid boss there could be greater rewards for winning against you. It has a lot of potential.
A definite benefit of having already played against the deck, before playing the deck yourself, is you would have a better idea of how the deck is played, so it wouldn't be a totally unfamiliar deck you are given.

dogmod
08-23-2013, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the sweet feedback guys :)

bofedy
08-23-2013, 03:28 AM
This is a great idea and i love it.