PDA

View Full Version : So they are really gonna call it "Set 1", "Set 2", etc?

Ogodei
08-23-2013, 06:44 AM
I dunno is it just me or isn't that a bit uncreative?

Kami
08-23-2013, 06:46 AM
I don't think those will be the official names for the sets. It's just a way to talk about it without saying something wordy.

Kroan
08-23-2013, 06:48 AM
I think set 1 is called "Shards of Fate", isn't it?

ossuary
08-23-2013, 06:50 AM
I'm not sure about that. The whole game is called "Hex: Shards of Fate" as far as I know.

I suppose the 1st set could also be called that, but I was under the impression that we hadn't been given any official set names yet.

MoikPEI
08-23-2013, 06:55 AM
That's true. Names would be better than numbers. Whenever I talk MtG with someone it goes:
"I started in Ice Age, bought a tonne of Fallen Empires cause the packs were cheap and I could trade storage lands for lunch money. I stopped playing during the Rath Cycle because the power creep was just too blatant. I liked Mirage and Visions though because Griffons."

Would kinda sound weird to be all... "I started with Set 1, but played a tonne of Draft during Set 3 because the meta favoured Wild which I played a lot of. I kinda drifted away around Set 7 because it there were too many bomb combos and not enough removal. I loved the flavour of Set 9 though, Dat Ash."

Maphalux
08-23-2013, 07:04 AM
The set 1, set 2 thing seems like placeholder names to me.

Xenavire
08-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Fairly sure it was confirmed to be Shards of Fate for set one, as well as it being the name of the game. I also could have sworn we got a few rumours about potential names for set 2, but I can't remember source or legitimacy.

But I am certain they will be named, and 'Shards of fate' might have also been a placeholder. I can't wait to hear all the set names in the first block though.

Shadowelf
08-23-2013, 07:29 AM
Well since they have already said that sets will forming blocks (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ign-mpt=uo%3D4 episode 54 check 0:52:00), it would have been nice if those sets had names that tied them to a storyline; for example the first block could easily have been named comet apocalypse(set1), The shards of fate (set2), a world reborn (set3). Of course they had to represent this particular storyline on cards, and maybe they felt this will be limiting their design space or force them to walk hand to hand with the storyline development department and thus slowing them down

Icepick
08-23-2013, 10:58 AM
It's also worth pointing out that, as confirmed in an interview with Ben Stoll, the non-basic resources in Set 1 are called Shards of Fate. I don't know how much that proves (maybe *all* non-basic resources will be called that forever), but it seems to imply that the name is directly linked to Set 1, for now.

houjix
08-23-2013, 11:34 AM
That's true. Names would be better than numbers. Whenever I talk MtG with someone it goes:
"I started in Ice Age, bought a tonne of Fallen Empires cause the packs were cheap and I could trade storage lands for lunch money. I stopped playing during the Rath Cycle because the power creep was just too blatant. I liked Mirage and Visions though because Griffons."

Weird, that's pretty close to my history with collecting Magic. Instead trading FE for cards in other games, me quitting because I was playing other games that were more fun, and I liked the flankers instead.

IndigoShade
08-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Set 2 will be called Electric Boogaloo! They said so right here (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/487442)! Certainly that is the set's final name and not a silly reference to a meme or movie from the 80's.

DanTheMeek
08-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Set 2 will be called Electric Boogaloo! They said so right here (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/487442)! Certainly that is the set's final name and not a silly reference to a meme or movie from the 80's.

You can rest assured that if that is not the final name, I will be demanding a refund as I backed purely do to the name I was led to believe set 2 would have. Well that and the promise of seeing a grown man wrestle a bear, but I think that goes with out saying for everyone who backed.

Malicus
08-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Bear wrestling is barbaric and should not be encouraged. Personally I like the idea of numbers as it is clearer to an outsider or a new entrant without needing to study. I quit magic during ice age and 3rd and 4th were the terms used for the revised sets and were much simpler than trying to lock down the timeline on everything else. As an outsider the magic experience described earlier in the thread provides no direct information on how long they may have played for etc.

ossuary
08-24-2013, 04:58 AM
Well we already know the cards will have set numbers right on their rarity icon. But it's probably a safe bet that the sets will also have themed names in addition to that. So it will be like "Set 3: Destiny Awakens" or whatever.

Vorpal
08-24-2013, 10:27 AM
God, I hope not. They should call it "Set I", "Set II", "Set III", "Set IV" ... "Set MMMCLXVIII" etc.

Mahes
08-25-2013, 05:27 AM
We could change everything up and call it " The Bundle 1" The "Bundle 2" and so on. Perhaps "The Package, part 1 a new beginning".

Govir
08-29-2013, 11:20 PM
It's also worth pointing out that, as confirmed in an interview with Ben Stoll, the non-basic resources in Set 1 are called Shards of Fate. I don't know how much that proves (maybe *all* non-basic resources will be called that forever), but it seems to imply that the name is directly linked to Set 1, for now.

I would assume that all non-basic resources would be called Shards of Fate, given that basic resources are actually called Shards (afaik).

EDIT: Guess I was wrong. Seems to actually be called Shards of Fate as per today's previews (http://hextcg.com/card-previews-august-30/). I still think Resources are called Shards within the Lore though.

panix
09-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Well we already know the cards will have set numbers right on their rarity icon. But it's probably a safe bet that the sets will also have themed names in addition to that. So it will be like "Set 3: Destiny Awakens" or whatever.

exactly this ^_^ its will come to the player whenever they say "the xxxx card from s3 " or "the xxxxx card from DA (destiny awakens example) "

noragar
09-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Being a Survivor fan, I kind of equate it to their numbering/naming system.

Back in the beginning, when there were only a few seasons, I would get annoyed when someone would say "Survivor: Outback" because then I'd have to follow up and try to figure out whether they were talking about Season 2 or Season 3. For the first 6 or so seasons, I would know what happened in each season (chronologically) and who the major players were, but I didn't pay attention at all to where they were. One jungle looks pretty much like any other jungle.

Now that they're up to Season 27, the numbers don't hold any meaning to me either. I couldn't tell you what happened in Season 15 any more than I can tell you what happened in Survivor: Panama. I'll need some clues like "That was the season where ____ won and _____ did _________. However, if the name itself holds the clue, like Survivor:Redemption Island, then that will tell me what I need to know.

So to summarize, I think names are good, but only if they can be chosen is such a way that they accurately and succinctly summarize the major theme that distinguishes that set from all the others.

hex_colin
09-03-2013, 01:54 PM
So, at DragonCon we couldn't get CZE to commit to "Shards of Fate" being the name of the game, the name of the first block, and/or the name of the first set.

I'm beginning to think that the name of the Set/Block has story spoilers that they're just not ready to reveal yet thus the lack of a definitive answer on naming in general.

Gwaer
09-03-2013, 02:00 PM
It's definitely the name if the game. 'Hex: Shards of fate' will most likely always be the logo. If it will also be the first name for a set as well. That remains to be seen.

Kami
09-03-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm beginning to think that the name of the Set/Block has story spoilers that they're just not ready to reveal yet thus the lack of a definitive answer on naming in general.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the character sitting on a throne(?) on the Producer sleeves...

Out of all the characters shown thus far, that is one of the major-looking ones without a name.

the_artic_one
09-03-2013, 03:18 PM
If you take a look at the dragoncon spoilers you'll see they have "SHARDS 0/0" at the bottom. So is the first set just called "shards"?