PDA

View Full Version : Another ruling question

poizonous
08-23-2013, 10:24 AM
King Gabriel gives creatures a "Regeneration" type effect. Now in Magic, Regenerate removes a troop from combat and Gabriel does not specify if it does or does not.

Example

Attacking with an 8/8 Swiftstrike, Lifelink Living Totem and an opponent blocks with his 4/4 lifelink Living Totem with a Gabriel Buff.

Question 1) Does the opponent troop get removed from combat after the swiftstrike would deal lethal damage to it?

Question 2) Does the opponents totem retaliate and gain 4 life as well?

I guess both questions get answered from question 1 but I was just curious.

KiraForce
08-23-2013, 10:32 AM
It is not removed from combat, it just doesn't die. It's not regeneration. It prevents destruction. It takes the damage, then isn't destroyed. So it gets the chance to retaliate. Presumably.

poizonous
08-23-2013, 10:37 AM
@Kira, if you read King Gabriel's effect and compare it to the definition of Regeneration in magic, it is word for word, take away the tap and remove from combat, so I would like a little more clarification

KiraForce
08-23-2013, 10:40 AM
As a huge assumption, as ruling has not yet been clarified, I assume since it's not said, it is not removed from combat.

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-23-2013, 10:51 AM
@Kira, if you read King Gabriel's effect and compare it to the definition of Regeneration in magic, it is word for word, take away the tap and remove from combat, so I would like a little more clarification
Sorry man, but it's not word for word regeneration. IMO, King Gabriel's effect doesn't remove from combat if it's used up. Reasons are:

*Firstly, there's no regeneration in Hex. So we have to take the card as to what it says - in this case, it says that if it would be destroyed, remove all damage from it instead. While this is half of regeneration (and indeed the important part), it does not include the "tap it and remove it from combat" part of the regeneration ability.
*Secondly, the actual regeneration rules: 614.8. Regeneration is a destruction-replacement effect. The word “instead” doesn’t appear on the card but is implicit in the definition of regeneration. “Regenerate [permanent]” means “The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat.” Abilities that trigger from damage being dealt still trigger even if the permanent regenerates. See rule 701.12. King Gabriel's ability is the part of regeneration in blue, but doesn't include the part in red.

So to answer the specific questions, based on what we know of Hex atm (and MTG rules on replacement effects) - no, the KG protected Totem wouldn't be removed from combat (or tapped), and yes, it'd get to hit back and gain its controller some life.

Hope this helps!

Edit: of course, KG came out pretty early in spoilers, so it's possible they just straight up introduce a regeneration ability that works the same, and if it did, I'd imagine KG would be giving that ability. This is all just based on what we currently have.

infam0usne0
08-23-2013, 10:52 AM

Answered you own question really, "take away the tap and remove from combat"

Madican
08-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Huh, good question. I'd think that it would get to retaliate since the damage was nulled, so it's still up.

felmare
08-24-2013, 09:13 AM
gabriel is like giving a one turn protection from all colors or monster cannot be destroyed this turn