PDA

View Full Version : One Change I Wish Cards Had

atheist4thecause
08-23-2013, 11:36 AM
When I'm teaching new players how to play, as a general principle I try to tell them to pick cards that match your Super Hero. So if you are Batman, try to get Batman cards such as the Batmobile and Robin. This teaches new players about card interactions pretty well, and it also tends to be a decently powerful way to play anyways. Unfortunately, though, some people don't know anything about comics and that can make teaching someone much harder. This is why I wish the cards marked what Super Hero they were designed around. Then I could tell the new player to just get all the cards with the Batman symbols, and I could show them before the game what it looked like.

There are a few places this symbol could be put. In the upper right hand corner (just to the left of the DC Comics symbol) is one place. Another thing that could be done is writing the Super Hero's name where the term "Super-Villain" goes since all the cards have that spot blank that would need a Super Hero symbol. Each Super Hero would then be a sub-type, but I don't see that as a problem. Those are the two main places I can think of.

Anyways, that's one change I personally wish the designers employed. If you guys have other ideas for changes feel free to post them.

kmonarq7
08-23-2013, 12:47 PM
I was thinking a Symbol in the corner instead of the current cost symbol. Like The S logo from Super Powers, Bat for Equipment, JL logo for Heroes, etc...would help our greatly.

When TSR has Spellfire out back in the mid 90s, they did this, and it was greatly helpful.

LexLuthorJr
08-23-2013, 11:02 PM
I don't really see what having a knowledge of comics has to do with the playing of the game.

In your Batman example, you would simply need to direct players to cards that are (or relate to) equipment. Telling them to just buy cards that relate to Batman (or have a Batman symbol) is not a good way to teach them how the game itself plays. Players should learn about what cards are useful in different situations. Someone playing as Superman, for example, should not be encouraged to buy X-Ray Vision over Swamp Thing or Clayface simply because X-Ray Vision has the Superman symbol.

The idea of teaching players to go with a character's mythos doesn't even always work. How would you explain to someone what cards go with Wonder Woman? The Lasso of Truth really has nothing to do with Wonder Woman's theme, so I wouldn't tell a player to buy it if they are playing as Wonder Woman just because her picture is on it. Wonder Woman says she likes villains, so players know to get villains. No comic knowledge needed.

I think doing it with symbols would confuse players as to what cards they should get and slow the learning curve. To me, it seems you are better off allowing players to experiment with different cards. Allow them to read through the line-up and choose cards that sound useful to them, and over time they will understand which ones are good and work with the different characters.

atheist4thecause
08-24-2013, 07:43 AM
You must play in smaller games I'm guessing. I play in bigger games, and I would definitely take an X-Ray vision over a Swamp Thing or a Clayface, especially as Superman. I disagree that the Lasso of Truth doesn't help Wonder Woman. It protects her card count, which is essential for her taking down S-V's. It doesn't give a direct synergy with the ability, but that indirect synergy is very helpful. I guess I'd have to go look through all the cards, but I think there are very few cards that don't synergize well with their Super Hero they are themed around, if any. Aquaman's Trident synergizes the least well for Aquaman, but it still works well with Aquaman. That's the closest example that comes to me right off the top of my head. And in the end, all of the same things would still be there for you if you don't like the symbols. So if you're teaching someone new and you don't think the symbols would be useful, you could just tell them to get Villains as Wonder Woman or whatever.

Also, I want to throw in that having a new player read 5 cards in the line-up takes forever, takes a lot of the fun out of the game for players who do know how to play, and the new player will retain almost nothing anyways because if they read a card like Scarecrow they have no idea what an Attack is, what a Weakness is, how powerful that stuff is, and it will take them time to even learn what the +2 power means. And now multiple that by 5 every turn, add the option of the S-V, and add the option of buying the kick. That's just too much to take in early IMO.

kmonarq7
08-26-2013, 06:01 AM
Much to Atheist's mention: We also have issues with new players taking some time as well. We have a game coming up this weekend with 4 regulars and one newbie, so we'll see how that works out.