PDA

View Full Version : Tense of cards

Mr11
08-26-2013, 10:51 AM
I just want to clarify because this has come up a number of times in our group:
1. Aquaman's Trident says:
+2 Power
You may put any one card you buy or gain this turn on top of your deck.

The words "buy" and "gain" are future tense so we say that this card has to be played before you buy any cards that would be affected by it.

2. Dark Knight says:
+2 Power
Gain all Equipment in the Line-Up. Then, if you play or have played Catwoman this turn, you may put a card you bought or gained this turn into your hand.

The words "bought" and "gained" are past tense so we have always played it so that any card you want to put into your hand has to have been bought/gained BEFORE you play the second requirement for the Dark Knight/Catwoman combo.

Are these correct? It has come up many times because people want to use the power from Catwoman/Dark Knight to purchase the card to put into their hand but we have never allowed it.

atheist4thecause
08-26-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm not a designer, just a fan of the game, but I would say that Aquaman's Trident allows for someone to put a card they bought before they played Aquaman's Trident because the wording specifically says "any one card...this turn". To me, that means any card over the whole turn. If I play a Punch followed by a Kick and by an X-Ray Vision, then I play an Aquaman's Trident, I did buy the X-Ray Vision this turn so it meets the condition of Aquaman's Trident.

In regards to the Dark Knight, I would think you could do that in the future as well. The way I think about it is lets say you play the Dark Knight. And then lets say you gain a Power Ring and Batmobile. Now lets say you play Catwoman. Then you have the option to get a card you bought or gained, but you can choose not to because it's a may ability. So lets say you choose not to, play some stuff, and buy a Super Strength. The Super Strength then fits all the conditions of Dark Knight and may go to your hand. The conditions are as follows:
1) Dark Knight must be played (check)
2) Catwoman must be played (check)
3) You can not have already put a card to your hand from this ability (check)

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I think about as if I do what I want to do, does it meet the conditions of the card or does it break the card? I could see me being wrong on the Dark Knight if it's a one time trigger ability that can't float, but I think I'm doing it right. I'd love to hear Matt weigh in, as I have been wrong plenty of times. lol

Also, there is a Sticky for card rulings: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21376
It's nice to have all these card ruling questions posted in there so that if someone else has the same question on the same card then they can find the answer easily.

Mr11
08-26-2013, 01:04 PM
I will add my question to that thread, good call. The reason I pose the question is that I am always on the side that the designers use words very carefully with specific intentions. In both cases the cards, if read exactly as they are worded, would seem to imply (from my perspective) what I described. Hopefully Matt can clear this up.

Matt_Hyra
08-26-2013, 04:34 PM
1. Yes, the Trident effect must be in play before you can put a (future) card you buy or gain on top of your deck.

2. [Edit] If you play Catwoman BEFORE Dark Knight, you can't use his +2 Power. If you play Catwoman later in the turn, you will have already used Dark Knight's +2 Power and his "put into hand" ability won't have triggered yet.

atheist4thecause
08-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Interesting to say the least.

Mr11
08-26-2013, 08:56 PM
So Matt, the opposite should be true for DK then. If I play Catwoman and then I don't buy/gain anything before I play DK I can't put anything into my hand. Thanks for clarifying.

Matt_Hyra
08-26-2013, 10:15 PM
So Matt, the opposite should be true for DK then. If I play Catwoman and then I don't buy/gain anything before I play DK I can't put anything into my hand. Thanks for clarifying.

Yup.

JohnSimon
09-02-2013, 12:56 PM

Yup.

So just to be clear. I play Dark Knight and then buy something with it's +2 power. Then later in the turn I play Catwoman. I can't put the card I bought with Dark Knight's power into my hand?

Matt_Hyra
09-02-2013, 01:26 PM
So just to be clear. I play Dark Knight and then buy something with it's +2 power. Then later in the turn I play Catwoman. I can't put the card I bought with Dark Knight's power into my hand?

You can. Thanks for posting. This clears it up. I was not getting the real issue when the question was first posted. The "put into hand" ability doesn't fire off unless Catwoman has been played. If you play her before Dark Knight, the ability fires off before you can use his +2 Power. If you play Catwoman later on, you will already have used his +2 Power, so you will be able to put a card DK bought into your hand.