PDA

View Full Version : Champion death

Norious
08-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Playing the 2014 mtg i noticed in one scenario I could survive a negative life if I had lifelink in battle. Does Hex have a similar rule? Or the instant your champ goes to zero or below you lose the match?

Also - can u use your charge power anytime like a quick action?

warptender
08-28-2013, 02:11 PM
There is a lifelink mechanic. And as far as I've seen your charge power is a regular action (sorcery speed for mtg).

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-28-2013, 02:12 PM
1. In Magic, all damage happens simultaneously. So if you're at 3 and being attacked by two 4/4s without trample, and you block one with a 2/2 lifelink, you'll take 4 damage and gain 2 life at the same time, leaving you at 1 life. The reason you don't lose is because you don't actually reach 0 or less life. If Hex operates the same as Magic in this regard, you'll live in Hex too.

Though for technicality sake, it only matters that you're at 0 when state-based actions are checked, so it's possible to be at 1, then Corrupt yourself with 6 swamps out, and live, as state-based actions aren't checked during the resolution of the spell, so you go down to -5, then back up to 1, and thus survive.

2. The champions say BASIC before their charge power if you can only use it during your turn on one of your main phases when the stack/chain is empty. If they don't say this, you can use it as a quick action - but as far as I know, every PvP champion at this point has a BASIC charge power.

Shadowelf
08-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Although there is no rulebook yet, i bet that you can use quick actions in response of your champion dying (like gaining life for example)

As for charge powers they are all basic actions aka sorceries

http://hextcg.com/pvp-champions-ardent/,
http://hextcg.com/pvp-champions-underworld/

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-28-2013, 02:16 PM
If it's like Magic, then you won't get a chance to use a Soothing Breeze or similar when you go to 0-or-less life; you'll have lost before you get a chance to put it on the stack (and from the streamed games we've seen, the game appears to end immediately when someone reaches 0 - that is, players don't get given one last priority to try and save themselves).

Shadowelf
08-28-2013, 02:22 PM
If it's like Magic, then you won't get a chance to use a Soothing Breeze or similar when you go to 0-or-less life; you'll have lost before you get a chance to put it on the stack (and from the streamed games we've seen, the game appears to end immediately when someone reaches 0 - that is, players don't get given one last priority to try and save themselves).

True; in this case you can always cast it before blockers are assigned, if you realise/assume that the attack will be lethal (you get priority after the opponent declares attackers )

jaxsonbatemanhex
08-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Indeed - if you know it's going to happen, you can certainly prevent it in that way. :-) Apologies if I misunderstood your earlier post. :-P

Shadowelf
08-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Indeed - if you know it's going to happen, you can certainly prevent it in that way. :-) Apologies if I misunderstood your earlier post. :-P

Nope you were right; haven't realised/noticed that you aren't getting a last priority before you die :)

LargoLaGrande
08-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Nope you were right; haven't realised/noticed that you aren't getting a last priority before you die :)

It used to work that way (a long time ago, before the 6th edition changes), you wouldn't lose the game until the end of the phase, so you still had time to cast life gain spells to get yourself above 0 again.

Norious
08-28-2013, 06:04 PM
thanks for all the help!