PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Beef?

iscariotrex
08-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Are Cryptozoic and Blizzard feuding? I know this sounds terribly tabloid, and I don't mean to sensationalize things, I'm just being curious/speculating.

Until very recently both companies had a mutually beneficial partnership in the form of the WoW TCG. Now that has been dissolved.

Crypto has been in development with Hex for two years, and I'm not sure how much time has been put into Hearthstone; but both companies are set to be competitors in the digital TCG market. Both are talking about the eSport possibilities. Blizzard has talked some about potentially adding PVE to Hearthstone. Both games are roughly launching at the same time.

All of it seems a little too coincidental to me. I'm all Team Hex(though I am aching to play Hearthstone right now), but Crypto vs. Blizzard... that is some David and Goliath shit right there.

zadies
08-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Not really blizzard does have a big name and some already written lore it can fall back on but they mostly took a hands off approach on the development of wow tcg so crypto actually has more experience as a developer in that regard. All buzzard is anymore is a giant marketing machine burning it properties as fuel.

Gorgol
08-29-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm all Team Hex(though I am aching to play Hearthstone right now), but Crypto vs. Blizzard... that is some David and Goliath shit right there.
And David won, so go Team Hex!

Zaelesis
08-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Its the old "Wizards vrs Nintendo" fight. The contract was ending more then likely and blizzard wanted to cut out the middle man, so instead of renewing the contract, they allowed it to end on good terms.

As for a david and goliath situation, whos who?? CZE and hex are the much more complex game, trying to emulate and evolve on some of the most ingrain play styles when it comes to TCG (all the influence that hex has from MTG.) While Hearthstone is very much, from what ive gathered, a mix of several different play styles. While they are still fun, it may not require the same depth of knowledge as Hex will in the long run. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

What im looking forward to seeing is how blizzard exactly plans to continue their WoW loot cards through hearthstone. As well as any interaction going the other way (some rumors have been going around that certain rare cards could be loot within wow.)

houjix
08-29-2013, 09:04 AM
The licensing deal for WoW TCG is done. Whether any of that has to do with Hearthstone or Hex is just conjecture at this point.

felmare
08-29-2013, 09:09 AM
I think Blizzard is losing a ton of players on WoW and they need a new way to get people hooked into playing it, because yes... it is THAT good. But people are getting bored and hearthstone is a way to feed the WoW addiction again. D3 isnt making blizzard any money. They need something to get people back into their money maker game.

Icepick
08-29-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't think there's much mystery or drama here. The licence was due to expire and since both parties are working on products that would compete on some level with both the WoW TCG and each other, they decided to let it expire amicably. This is just speculation of course, but I would be very surprised if it didn't play out this way. It's unlikely that Blizzard would want two separate WoW card games going at once, and it's unlikely CZE would want to work on 2 major, long-running card games at once.

Auriok
08-29-2013, 01:24 PM
so crypto actually has more experience as a developer in that regard.
More experience in what? I think blizzard has ALOT more experience in digital games. I think this first digital game for cryptozoic?
Cryptozoic design in hex is not that special alot effects and even cards are borrowed from magic. Heartstone actually have few unique effects in tcg world

houjix
08-29-2013, 01:33 PM
More experience in what? I think blizzard has ALOT more experience in digital games. I think this first digital game for cryptozoic?
Cryptozoic design in hex is not that special alot effects and even cards are borrowed from magic. Heartstone actually have few unique effects in tcg world

Really? From everything I've seen, it is virtually a ripped and stripped WoW TCG with Yu-gi-oh style trap cards for some classes.

stiii
08-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Really? From everything I've seen, it is virtually a ripped and stripped WoW TCG with Yu-gi-oh style trap cards for some classes.

Yeah this is what I've seen from streams too. It looks like wow tcg with a more simple resource system and no decisions on other players turns.

iscariotrex
08-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Also no graveyard/recursion effects. I dislike that. Still want to play it though....lol

Tyrfang
08-30-2013, 10:34 AM
I saw someone named "coryjones" playing against a streamer in Hearthstone the other day.