PDA

View Full Version : Will Crytozoic going to do "a Hearthstone"??

DreamPuppet
08-29-2013, 09:47 AM
What i mean by this is, once alpha or beta is out will Crypto be giving out keys to every tom, richard & harry who streams or has a youtube channel to help build up hype for Hex like blizzard has done for hearthstone?

Blizzard basically gave keys away to anyone that has any following on twitch.tv, youtube... which has turned a beta into one of the most streamed games right now, only coming in second to LoL.

zadies
08-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Doubt they will do so until they givethe ks rewards out in beta.

Shadowelf
08-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Doubt they will do so until they givethe ks rewards out in beta.

Yeap given the fact that alpha/beta access currently costs $50 (and beta access during KS $10), i don't see them handing out loads keys for free. Maybe there will be exceptions like you said known streamers or fansites, but there is no official info on it yet

houjix
08-29-2013, 10:09 AM
You can sign up for Beta access right on their web page, no purchase required. How many of those are given out, I have no idea.

Zomnivore
08-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Very popular streamers are very good for a game.

Day9 made me interested in Hearthstone where before I didn't have any real appeal for it.

Its an important matter of function. I also think that supporting the fresh faces we've seen pop up around Hex is important and supporting that burgeoning group of supporters instead of cashing in on already established marketable figures is a good thing to encourage and desire for the long term support of the third parties building around hex.

Miwa
08-29-2013, 10:18 AM
A key costs them nothing, and free publicity is free publicity. Expect it. Review sites and anyone tangentially connected to anything with any following shouldn't have any issue getting keys. Since they support "fansites" here, I'd expect them to provide support for non-fly-by-night sites too.

Icepick
08-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Yeah, backers will almost certainly get theirs first, but I'd be surprised if they didn't do this a little time after beta has gone live. Given the amount of attention/interest that can be generated in this way, they'd be foolish not to.

Barov
08-29-2013, 12:02 PM
I said this in a previous thread, but I really hope they do give out keys to streamers. Yes, people bitch it's not fair they didn't get a key. But the benefits of someone raising hype for a game in front of an audience of thousands way outweighs that.

As for the KS backers who feel cheated someone else got into alpha/beta without backing. We all want Hex to have a large active community, I think we should take advantage of every chance to build recognition and hype for this game.

Shrennan
08-29-2013, 12:12 PM
I'd imagine they would. It would be smart, honestly. For instance, Day9 is really famous among streamers and, even though he usually streams Blizzard games, he loves card games. So I think CZE giving streamers like him and TotalBiscuit keys would be smart marketing. Assuming, of course, the beta client is stable haha

Dralon
08-29-2013, 12:44 PM
I would stress that I feel hearthstone in this beta phase is much closer to a ready for launch state then I expect Hex will be when it hits alpha and its initial beta. Thus the marketing strategy should and I expect will be much different. At some point during Hex beta I expect streamers and fan sites will get a number of keys to distribute, but I would not expect that in alpha or early beta, even if there is no NDA, which I have not heard confirmed anyway.

Slish
08-29-2013, 12:56 PM
As a backer myself, I wouldn't mind if they gave free beta keys away first to well-known streamers etc. As long as it has a good purpose. :)

majin
08-29-2013, 02:29 PM
i also don't mind CZE giving away alpha and beta keys to streamers and fansites.

even if these people get into alpha and beta, they still need to purchase boosters (after the beta wipe) to enjoy beta as it's mostly pvp and the streams will really help with the game's popularity

more pvp players = more people to play and trade with, less waiting on drafts and other tourneys that requires x players to start

more pvp players = more revenue for CZE

more revenue for CZE = more features for the game and maybe they can hire extra hands to speed up the features that comes with the KS funds

the more popular the game becomes = the more valuable our ks tiers and rewards will be

we love the game even if most of us haven't played it yet and we are all hoping this will be a success and we will be playing it for years to come

let the streams be dominated by hex comes alpha and beta

Shadowelf
08-29-2013, 03:53 PM
This might help answering some questions;

OK, I have a friend who has a blog/website where he is reveiwing lots of new games, and he was wondering some things, which I have decided to ask on his behalf - I will list them for simplcities sake.

1) Are we able to use current resources (card images, etc) to create a promotional video to host on his site? We would like to explain clearly certian things that have been talked about, and get people interested.

2) Could my friend request beta access, even if he does not end up supporting the kickstarter? He may or may not, depending on how the game is looking, and how much support is needed, but he would like to reveiw the game, and offer support in other ways.

3) Could I record my own beta access for kickstarting, and reveiw it for him? Will making footage be allowed?

4) Is there any extra info than what is included in the press kit, or should we just link to your website instead? I think he would rather do a full feature with artwork and videos, but a link would do the job in a pinch.

1: As long as you credit Cryptozoic and use correct trademarks.

2: He could request access through hexmedia@cryptozoic.com

3: Yes!

4: All the info we have right now is on the web site and press kit. That should get you most of the way there!

Thanks.

So in a few words no NDA, beta keys possibly given if you request access

Svenn
08-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Honestly, I don't care if they give access to anyone during beta, as long as they don't get it before the KS backers (at the same time is fine with me, though). I didn't back this because of early access to the game, I backed it for the awesome rewards. More players is going to be better for the game, and if those players are streamers then even better.

ramseytheory
08-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Anyone can get guaranteed access to the alpha right now with the slacker backer option - it's not in any way exclusive. Waiving the entrance fee for streamers with large audiences just seems like a good business decision (assuming things are polished enough).

Prism
08-31-2013, 12:03 AM
Who cares? If you backed alpha, you will be able to play in beta. If a streamer really wants a key he will probably be offered dozens and dozens of accounts from his or her viewers or probably kickstarted too.

I wish I could stream this game myself. My laptop overheats if I don't have my fan running though, so no go for me :(. Maybe I should have gotten a new computer instead of 2 collector tier accounts... naaaahh!

OrpheusOverdrive
08-31-2013, 06:54 PM
I figure Angry Joe at the least will get access. He has been an enthusiastic supporter and makes it a point to pay for a game that he is going to look at so that he will have the point of view of someone who shelled out money for it. But then he did go in as a Guild backer so...

P.S.: I don't mind them giving out keys to prominent youtubers as long as they don't bite off more than they can chew server wise. This is going to be a pretty damn crowded alpha as is.

Barov
09-01-2013, 01:26 AM
Well Angry Joe is a kickstarter backer so he will get access regardless.

rwmwaffle
09-02-2013, 05:13 AM
As an early backer and someone who was planning on streaming I hope any press keys they give out are very limited. Having a Day9 or TB or JP around helps raise the profile of a new game but giving one out to every LoL or SC2 pro just makes it harder for the audience to find the truly dedicated players who are going to stick with the game long term.

Kroan
09-02-2013, 05:42 AM
I would very much appreciate a beta keys for MJ aka Darkest_Mage though. He's my favourite MTGO streamer and also the most popular based on his avg. viewers count.

Patrigan
09-03-2013, 02:18 AM
As an early backer and someone who was planning on streaming I hope any press keys they give out are very limited. Having a Day9 or TB or JP around helps raise the profile of a new game but giving one out to every LoL or SC2 pro just makes it harder for the audience to find the truly dedicated players who are going to stick with the game long term.

The goal is not to give the streamers viewership, the goal is to get the word out to as many as possible. If a player loves a game but the streamer doesn't commit, then he WILL find another streamer to follow.

nearlysober
09-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Like others have said... getting in as many fan-sites, bloggers & streamers as possible will only promote the game more.

Obviously I want in the BETA ASAP like all the other kickstarter backers. I'd like to get our account names locked in before the masses... but aside from that initial edge I have no desire to gain some "exclusivity" by locking other people out.

If the BETA can handle the additional users, let the Twitchers, bloggers, media pour into the BETA and promote the game for CZE.

I invested quite a bit in this game and I want it to blow up and be super popular for years to come, and if it can take over TwitchTV in the same way Hearthstone has, that's only good for us.

zadies
09-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Alpha and beta are two different level of access and possibly listening to community feedback I truly hope they do not allow streamers or whoever hasn't chipped in out until the point in the beta where they hand out the is rewards.

Shaqattaq
09-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Instead of streaming HEX directly, I think we'll just put Ben in a box and have everybody watch outside through a window a-la The Today Show. People can make funny signs and everything. Then we'll stream that.

Shadowelf
09-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Instead of streaming HEX directly, I think we'll just put Ben in a box and have everybody watch outside through a window a-la The Today Show. People can make funny signs and everything. Then we'll stream that.

How about kyle and the bear a-la cage fight ? i would have 'slacker backed' my way to first row tickets :)