PDA

View Full Version : Card Preview: Runic Monolith and Shards of Fate

Shaqattaq
08-30-2013, 11:59 AM
by Mike Rosenberg

We’ve got a Limited powerhouse and something a little more unique for you today.

http://hextcg.com/card-previews-august-30/

Westane
08-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Meh on the Icy Manipulator but YAY on the Terramorphic Expanse! It's not quite a dual-threshold resource, but it'll do for now.

Shadowelf
08-30-2013, 12:09 PM
So i was right after all...shard is common :)

Sorry to derail your thread more just posting this to alleviate some of people's comcerns ;

Creator Cryptozoic Entertainment on May 13
Martin: I have a piece coming up about the "Pay To Win" idea and why it doesn't apply to HEX, but basically it outlines that HEX is not like the other games you've seen in the digital space. You can trust true, experienced TCG developers to always have a solid base of commons that are tournament staples, budget decks (I believe a $30 deck recently won one of our other tournaments and earned the player thousands of dollars in prizes) that can compete, and the Auction House, trading to both allow players far more ways to build their collection and compete.
(source http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...79694#comments)

So there is a good chance, based on this, that the shards are commons/uncommons.

Aradon
08-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Terramorphic Expanse (which this card does a good imitation of) is a common Magic card, but that didn't make all the other duals common. There's still a real possibility that dual resources in Hex will be rare. Though, it doesn't sound like that's what Martin has in mind. Just mentioning that this doesn't support or deny that in any way.

Still, good card to start with in the early sets for mana fixing. A lot better of an idea than unrestricted duals ;)

And yeah, I'm not feeling the Monolith. Much worse than many of the options out there in Magic, and creatures in Hex tend to have so many abilities, tapping most of them won't be enough. I'd rather play Chaos Key right now than the Runic Monolith. It'd have been safe at untapping regularly, I think.

locust
08-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Shards of fate will be one of the most played cards in all the game. for a very very long time.

hammer
08-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Worst two pieces of Hex Art in the same article!

Corpselocker
08-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Edited because I misread the card. I thought it was a true wild after reading the article.

Shadowelf
08-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Terramorphic Expanse (which this card does a good imitation of) is a common Magic card, but that didn't make all the other duals common. There's still a real possibility that dual resources in Hex will be rare. Though, it doesn't sound like that's what Martin has in mind. Just mentioning that this doesn't support or deny that in any way.

Still, good card to start with in the early sets for mana fixing. A lot better of an idea than unrestricted duals ;)

Very true;but i wasn't talking about all duals' effects, just the shards ;) Also the other 'dual' we know of ,Ascendant Brilliance, is a rare (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game?ref=live scroll down to the AH pic)

As for terramorpic expanse, i think it was a better card, since it triggered landfall, and thined your deck of mana (but yeah pretty similar effect with shards )

Chiany
08-30-2013, 12:42 PM

Indeed the art sucks on these two cards.
Luckily only one will see (alot of) play.

Xenavire
08-30-2013, 12:43 PM
This is both better and worse than terramorphic expanse/evolving wilds. Worse because it doesn't actually thin the deck (which was a big deal for terramophic expanse) and better, because it actually does something that turn (without crazy combos or synergistic cards) by charging your champion.

So I would put this a little closer to the tap lands than Terramorphic expanse, but it does have the downside of having to choose one colour (but you should never run with a single shard in your hand anyway, so it is perfect assuming an average hand.)

Icepick
08-30-2013, 12:55 PM

Odd, I really like the art on Runic Monolith!

Westane
08-30-2013, 12:55 PM
This is both better and worse than terramorphic expanse/evolving wilds. Worse because it doesn't actually thin the deck (which was a big deal for terramophic expanse) and better, because it actually does something that turn (without crazy combos or synergistic cards) by charging your champion.

So I would put this a little closer to the tap lands than Terramorphic expanse, but it does have the downside of having to choose one colour (but you should never run with a single shard in your hand anyway, so it is perfect assuming an average hand.)
What will be interesting is whether or not you get to shuffle after using it, which will make it at least as good as TE in my opinion, as I always thought the shuffle effect was more valuable than the thinning. Recently it was Jace's [0] followed by a TE, before that it was Brainstorm followed by a fetch land. Of course a lot of this comes down to what other cards are going to be in Set 1...

RaiZenGar
08-30-2013, 12:57 PM
It has another small advantage in that it gives you a threshold immediately which may allow you to play some cards in your hand that you wouldn't have been able to play otherwise (or trigger gem effects, etc.).

Shadowelf
08-30-2013, 01:03 PM
What will be interesting is whether or not you get to shuffle after using it, which will make it at least as good as TE in my opinion, as I always thought the shuffle effect was more valuable than the thinning. Recently it was Jace's [0] followed by a TE, before that it was Brainstorm followed by a fetch land. Of course a lot of this comes down to what other cards are going to be in Set 1...

You are right of course; shuffle effect is equally if not more important than thining; The way i'm interprenting the card however, there won't be a shuffle effect following shards' come into play effect;

Aradon
08-30-2013, 01:06 PM
I've always maintained that 'deck thinning' from fetchlands was marginal and not worth considering. The shuffle is typically marginal, but you can build your deck to utilize it. Similarly, Terramorphic left you with a land in your graveyard, which this does not. Also not always useful, but some decks can make great use of that.

Still, I'll happily take the upside of instant color fixing from Shards of Fate over all those other options.

malloc31
08-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Also since it's a common you have the possibility of getting 4-5 in a draft and playing a 3 color deck.

Xenavire
08-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Also since it's a common you have the possibility of getting 4-5 in a draft and playing a 3 color deck.

That is actually a great point. I hadn't thought about how good it could be in draft - I doubt it will ever make a first pick, but it would never be a last pick unless you managed to draft mono.

theghost32
08-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Is it limited to 4 because it doesn't say it. It just says resource?

Icepick
08-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Is it limited to 4 because it doesn't say it. It just says resource?

Regular resources say Resource - Basic. Since the Shard of Fate isn't a basic resource, I'd say yes, it's limited to 4.

Shadowelf
08-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Regular resources say Resource - Basic. Since the Shard of Fate isn't a basic resource, I'd say yes, it's limited to 4.

Yep second this; i bet that they will fix it before alpha is released to say 'resource-non basic'

MugenMusou
08-30-2013, 03:50 PM
So I guess I must have been misunderstood the 2 numbers on the resource card up until now. But X/Y represent X as immediate usable resource value, and Y means resource cap? Threshold is then indicated by shard color icon, and charge to champion is indicated by the text?

So in the future if we see double charge resource or whatever other alternative resources, it will be something like 1/1 (B) Charge your champion twice?

Oh also, does this card will actually take out the selected/chosen basic resource card from your deck? I.e. if I had 10 more wild in the deck and use this and chose one of those, it now becomes 9?

Corpselocker
08-30-2013, 03:56 PM
For such a neat, empowering card, Shards does look a bit underwhelming.

That art is so ugly it makes blind children cry :P

Shadowelf
08-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh also, does this card will actually take out the selected/chosen basic resource card from your deck? I.e. if I had 10 more wild in the deck and use this and chose one of those, it now becomes 9?

The way i see it, you cast it, then it checks the different colors of resources in your deck and presents a choice among them; so no resource removing and no shuffling effects

So in the future if we see double charge resource or whatever other alternative resources, it will be something like 1/1 (B) Charge your champion twice?

You charge your champion by playing a resource; normally you can only play one resource per turn. So in order to charge your champion twice you actually need to play 2 resources. This card for example will allow you to charge your champion thrice http://www.hex-datamine.com/cards/Chlorophyllia/71.

Roneci
08-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Agreed. Art on shards looks thrown together and quite amateurish compared to what we've been seeing. I mean, lens flare -- are we really going there?

The game is called Hex: Shards of Fate for crying out loud. Should this eponymous card really look straight out of UNO?

FeelNFine
08-30-2013, 04:20 PM
So I guess I must have been misunderstood the 2 numbers on the resource card up until now. But X/Y represent X as immediate usable resource value, and Y means resource cap? Threshold is then indicated by shard color icon, and charge to champion is indicated by the text?

Correct, Correct, Correct, and no it does not (by common interpretation). Since your X refills to Y at the start of your turn, SoF is equivalent to a land entering the battle field tapped.

MugenMusou
08-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Correct, Correct, Correct, and no it does not (by common interpretation). Since your X refills to Y at the start of your turn, SoF is equivalent to a land entering the battle field tapped.

Tapped field example sounds good.  I was thinking shock land ef fect on top of it, which has good effect of decomp ressing your deck also.

Shadowelf
08-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Tapped field example sounds good.  I was thinking shock land ef fect on top of it, which has good effect of decomp ressing your deck also.

You mean fetchland effect surely? because i can't see how 2 dmg decompresses your deck. Sadly it doesn't appear to work this way; see my post above

Badger
08-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Does it check the cards in your draw deck only or does it just check the original 60 card list?

Shadowelf
08-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Does it check the cards in your draw deck only or does it just check the original 60 card list?

Good question; the way it is worded you can assume both. I would say those in your deck since it says 'currently in your deck' , so the ones in your hand are probably excluded from this effect

Commoble
08-30-2013, 04:51 PM
I don't mind the art, to be honest. I think that resource cards should have relatively simple art.

Xerma1
08-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Agreed. Art on shards looks thrown together and quite amateurish compared to what we've been seeing. I mean, lens flare -- are we really going there?

The game is called Hex: Shards of Fate for crying out loud. Should this eponymous card really look straight out of UNO?

Unfortunately, I agree.

I'm a fan of the shard mechanic as has been discussed in my brainstorming thread with Conflagration Stones. As to how they relate to Terramorphic Expanse, I still see them more as Alara block tap lands. A prismatic tapland like Shimmering Grotto is also close in functionality. Seeing as how all three of those are common or uncommon, I suspect that shards will be the same.

The shards being fine, the monolith is going to be decent in limited. It's probably never going to be a first pack, first pick card, but it's good all around for a number of different possible draft decks.

The art however, especially with shards of fate, is insipid and yes - the current SoF art really reminds me of something I'd see in UNO. Maybe it's just pre-pre-alpha placement art.

That brings me to some questions: First, will Shards of Fate count as a non-basic resource and have a playset limit of four in a deck? Second, how will choosing a champion in draft work? Will champions be in packs or do you add them like you do basic lands in an MtG draft/sealed?

lucedes
08-30-2013, 06:33 PM
That brings me to some questions: First, will Shards of Fate count as a non-basic resource and have a playset limit of four in a deck? Second, how will choosing a champion in draft work? Will champions be in packs or do you add them like you do basic lands in an MtG draft/sealed?

Yes, and added like a basic land, always available.

Badger
08-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Good question; the way it is worded you can assume both. I would say those in your deck since it says 'currently in your deck' , so the ones in your hand are probably excluded from this effect

Ahh, skimmed over "currently". Ok that will definitely look into current draw deck only, which is interesting. 5 colour deck with 4 of each + 4 of Shard of Fate, and that artifact that lets you choose a threshold, and you're good to go.

How many more cards are you expecting there to be in set 1 that trigger off all 5 colours?

Malicus
08-30-2013, 07:28 PM
On the idea of shuffle after fetch it would be possible to have no shuffle your deck mechanics in Hex unless specifically desired since a purely digital game doesn't require you to actually go through your library to search for a card when using fetch or tutor. Even most of the known cards with shuffle only requires that new cards be shuffled in and theoretically they need not shuffle the rest of the pack just randomly insert the new cards.

Though I suppose if that was the intent they could have worded it so. Still, could have been interesting :P. As to the art well, personally I like Uno /shrug.

Mindless
08-30-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm confused: can you play this and a basic rescoure the same turn? Then I see no reason to not include it else I guess it's a must for dual or more color and kinda useless in mono. I guess that you cannot since it's a resource card but how do we know?

RaiZenGar
08-31-2013, 12:20 AM
I'm confused: can you play this and a basic rescoure the same turn? Then I see no reason to not include it else I guess it's a must for dual or more color and kinda useless in mono. I guess that you cannot since it's a resource card but how do we know?
You cannot. You can only play one resource card per turn without some other card effect. You know because the card says "Resource"

Shadowelf
08-31-2013, 12:20 AM
Unfortunately, I agree.

It most probably is a non-basic resource, therefore the limit of 4x applies. I hope they change it to 'resource-non basic' for the shake clarity before Alpha releases.

As for for champions in draft, all will be available to you, so you draft your deck, then choose your champion

How many more cards are you expecting there to be in set 1 that trigger off all 5 colours?

We know of one more multicolored resource; Ascendant Brilliance (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game?ref=live, scroll down to the AH pic). Other than this no idea;

I think that the rule of one resource per turn still applies; this is clearly a resource, and worded as such.

Also Ben Stoll on the shard

The non-basic resources in the set are known as “Shards of Fate”. One such shard has the following ability: When you play it, you can create a resource of any type that you already have in your deck (basically, in a Ruby/Wild/Diamond deck, as long as you have Ruby/Wild/Diamond Sources in your deck the Shard of Fate can create a Ruby, Wild, or Diamond threshold.) This source is 0/1, it does give you a permanent resource but does not add to your pool this turn. (source http://hexmusings.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/designer-interview/)

nekoangel
08-31-2013, 01:50 AM
It's a real pity that it doesn't thin the deck out.
Thinning the deck out is really good and shouldn't be underestimated.

Search and can trip effects will always in general be good.

Aradon
08-31-2013, 07:45 AM
Nekoangel, you should check out this page on Fetchlands and deck thinning: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/print.asp?ID=3096
According to its math, even running 8 fetchlands and 12 regular lands, you don't draw an extra card (over a statistical average number of games) until turn 25. The large majority of games won't last that long, so only a very, very few number of games will running fetchlands thin your deck enough to cause you to draw an extra card. And that doesn't take into account how useful the card will be, just that it won't be a land.

The data's going to be off, of course, because it was written back when pros thought you should be running 20 lands, apparently. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which direction the odds will shift if you increase the land count. But the bottom line from the article is that for the vast majority of the games, deck thinning isn't going to affect your draws.

Vomitlord
08-31-2013, 08:09 AM
The art however, especially with shards of fate, is insipid and yes - the current SoF art really reminds me of something I'd see in UNO. Maybe it's just pre-pre-alpha placement art.

Why the hate for the art. I think it's awesome. Could Runic Monolith look anymore like a runic monolith? Also Shards of Fate is cool. It looks kind of different and iconic. Just like a card called Shards of fate should look.

nekoangel
08-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Nekoangel, you should check out this page on Fetchlands and deck thinning: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/print.asp?ID=3096
According to its math, even running 8 fetchlands and 12 regular lands, you don't draw an extra card (over a statistical average number of games) until turn 25. The large majority of games won't last that long, so only a very, very few number of games will running fetchlands thin your deck enough to cause you to draw an extra card. And that doesn't take into account how useful the card will be, just that it won't be a land.

The data's going to be off, of course, because it was written back when pros thought you should be running 20 lands, apparently. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which direction the odds will shift if you increase the land count. But the bottom line from the article is that for the vast majority of the games, deck thinning isn't going to affect your draws.

thats genuinely very surprising, thanks for the link btw.

i honestly thought it would be at least a slightly bigger impact than those numbers and i imagine it gets worse with more lands.

24/60 being land and say sticking with 3 in opening leaves 21/53 land left and 32/53 non lands so if that land is fetch it does increase the chance fora non land card but not a huge amount i guess.

main thing is its better in the late game as that when you dont want the damn land hah.

i think luck and chance favour fetchlands more than pure maths ;)

Aradon
08-31-2013, 09:56 AM
To be fair, Nekoangel, those % chances will be run every single game you play, so over the course of a weekend tournament (which is what, 9 rounds to qualify for day 2 at the Pro Tours, then draft top 8, for a total of 12 matches of 3?), you probably will realize a benefit. It's just not something you'll be able to rely on. I wouldn't pay 1 life for it, but I'll readily admit that thinning is better than not thinning.

Baldo
08-31-2013, 11:22 AM
I actually like the art. The SOF card is actually a bit deeper than anyone has given it credit for. Recently read this article on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterism_(gemology)

Asterism is seen in rubies and sapphires, among other gems, and typically produces a six pointed star, which is exactly what we see in the center of the SOF card.

The_Wine_Gnat
08-31-2013, 11:28 AM
I like the art. Not sure what everyone who doesn't like it is expecting, but perhaps you could do better and show us. I'm curious to see the style you were looking for.