PDA

View Full Version : Raid Healing Idea

malloc31
08-31-2013, 08:54 AM
I was thinking about how this game is trying to be a TCG/MMO, but as it stands now it is much closer to just TCG. And realized that one of the biggest things to make something feel like an MMO is player interactions during combat. Right now in Hex all the healing spells, and most of the buffs are worded "you gain" or "creature you control" so they must only help yourself, but what if they changed the wording so you could target other people in your raid? This would open the door to having healing based decks (where the problem of them not helping win would be off set by the other "DPS" decks not needing to play as much defense). It would make healing cards a lot more useful, and add a kind of player interaction that would foster more of a feeling like its a team against the raid boss instead of just a feeling of me alone with other people alone attacking the raid boss. I always felt relying on others is half of what makes grouping/raiding fun in MMOs. What does every one think?

Grumph
08-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Im really hoping that the pve cards have a lot buffs/spells you can cast on your allies. I also hope that people will take up specific roles during raids and not just be a dps fest

Shadowelf
08-31-2013, 09:25 AM
You will definately be able to interact with other players during raids (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:30:00), and i'm surprised that healing effects are currently worded to affect only your champion. I would also love assigning roles to players in raids, as it is fun ,strategic and promotes team play

Mr.Funsocks
08-31-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm assuming, if Raids are demanding enough, that there'll be roles. They may not always be Trinity roles, but there's likely to be situations where 1-2 people cover for their teammates while their teammates do the damage.

zadies
08-31-2013, 03:37 PM
I think that is due to the fact that 90% of the spoiled cards are PvP cards there is no reason to have ally gains cards in that set. Also it is possible ally interactions will be high level champion abilities.

Gen91
09-01-2013, 01:08 AM
I hope for cards, that are better when used on your teammates.
Like: You get 5 life, or a raid mate gets 9 life, or both raid mates get 6 life each, something like that.

Rycajo
09-01-2013, 01:18 AM
I imagine zadies is right on about this. We will probably see PvE cards that focus more on helping other players. Just like Magic has released some cards focused on the multiplayer nature of EDH, Hex will release cards with that multiplayer focus as well.

Maphalux
09-01-2013, 01:21 AM
To be honest, I hope not. Being a healer is the worst role in MMOs, period. It is either horribly dull or it goes to the opposite extreme and so much pressure that it is more of a job than a game.

Xenavire
09-01-2013, 03:27 AM
To be honest, I hope not. Being a healer is the worst role in MMOs, period. It is either horribly dull or it goes to the opposite extreme and so much pressure that it is more of a job than a game.

I enjoy the healing role, and I enjoy lifegain decks. I will be horribly upset if it isn't an option at least.

I like the pressure, it is way more thrilling than running DPS. You have to be skilled, alert, quick to react, and aware of many things at once. There is no rotation, and they are the only role that ever has that freedom.

In short, don't discount the lure of healing. Just as long as they don't make a healer deck mandatory, which would suck in a TCG. (Not for me personally, but the general makeup of groups should be flexible, not Tank/Heal/DPS.)

MrSeriousBsns
09-01-2013, 03:33 AM
I'm guessing that the cleric class will have talents that allow them to re-target all or part of a self-healing spell.

Now, how the size of the re-target and if there is an increase in cost is up in the air, but its a cleric class... I assumed healing others would just be part of the gig.

facade
09-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Expanding on MrSeriousBsns's idea on radiating abilities, the implementation could be broader with a passive champion ability or PvE card that says something along the lines "On all other spells and abilities you own that affect a single player, any instance of 'you' may be replaced with 'all players of your choice'."

Examples:

You gain 7 life. → All players of your choice gain 7 life.
Gain [0/1] and a diamond threshold. → All players of your choice gain [0/1] and a diamond threshold.
Sacrifice a creature, then draw a card. → All players of your choice sacrifice a creature, then draw a card.

It's not the best wording, since it's basically trying to replace non-targeting effects that don't really have standard phrasing (like where the 'you' is implied as in the second example), but I hope my intention is clear. The last example was just a thought at making the 'radiate' effect also have offensive purposes, so that it could even potentially be used in duels.

Umaro
09-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Regarding The DPS-fest: I'm more than happy to heal for raids. Having played a good chunk of the WoW TCG raids, groups will need one for a good chunk of them. It's phenomenally fun as a game mode.

ouphie
09-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Raid healing could be fun :). I played a pally healer and a disc priest in WoW and had a ball. As posted earlier, it could be detrimental to require a healer for all raids.

Mr.Funsocks
09-01-2013, 02:05 PM
I highly doubt a particularly significant proportion of raids are going to require a dedicated lifegain deck.

malloc31
09-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I wasn't thinking it would be required to beat each raid. But just that it would be allowed, because there are some people who would enjoy it.

Having a cleric class ability that changes heal self, to heal target ally would be a good way to accomplish it. But I think it would have to be heal target ally and not all allies, that may get too overpowered.

Xenavire
09-02-2013, 11:43 AM
I wasn't thinking it would be required to beat each raid. But just that it would be allowed, because there are some people who would enjoy it.

Having a cleric class ability that changes heal self, to heal target ally would be a good way to accomplish it. But I think it would have to be heal target ally and not all allies, that may get too overpowered.

Yep, by the fourth Eternal life )thanks to escalation) you would be healing 120 life for 3 mana. Even the first two would be fairly hefty amounts (15 and then 30), so I agree it would have to be target player, not the whole party/group.

Shadowelf
09-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Anybody played wow tcg's raids ? We always assigned roles and although not necessary to beat the raid (we were beating raids like Onyxia with our tournament decks ), i assure you it was tremendous fun to be able to create a deck full of heals or damage. Not only that but coordinating people's efforts felt as close as the real thing :)

panix
09-02-2013, 02:17 PM
well i believe a dedicated or half dedicated healer will be mandatory for a raid i mean... what would be difference if u just damage fest in smaller pve dungeons and u just get a boss with 5x more health u bring 2 friends and u still dmg fest it down..(ofcourse i may be wrong for so many things ^_^)

Mr.Funsocks
09-02-2013, 05:39 PM
well i believe a dedicated or half dedicated healer will be mandatory for a raid i mean... what would be difference if u just damage fest in smaller pve dungeons and u just get a boss with 5x more health u bring 2 friends and u still dmg fest it down..(ofcourse i may be wrong for so many things ^_^)

You are. There may be raids that are purely a race against time, with the opposition having no attacking creatures. There may be others where you don't bring your own deck, one is provided for you. There may be raids where constants are in play preventing healing. There may be raids where the loss condition has nothing to do with life points (ie Sliver of the Immortal Spear).

They have almost unlimited design space staked out for raids.

Armies
09-02-2013, 06:10 PM
you can out heal sliver of the immortal spear with enough eternal youths :P

Mr.Funsocks
09-03-2013, 12:11 AM
you can out heal sliver of the immortal spear with enough eternal youths :P

Fair point ;)

Though I assume the raid bosses will have cards with "You win the game!" effects too.

keldrin
09-03-2013, 02:39 AM
You will definately be able to interact with other players during raids (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:30:00), and i'm surprised that healing effects are currently worded to affect only your champion. I would also love assigning roles to players in raids, as it is fun ,strategic and promotes team play
I agree. It would give more of the traditional MMO group feel, where someone was tank, one was healer, and one was maybe direct effect spells, like direct damage and even counter spells.

Shadowelf
09-03-2013, 03:14 AM
Good news !!! You will definately be assigning roles and group designing decks to take down raids

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:17:30

panix
09-03-2013, 10:01 AM
You are. There may be raids that are purely a race against time, with the opposition having no attacking creatures. There may be others where you don't bring your own deck, one is provided for you. There may be raids where constants are in play preventing healing. There may be raids where the loss condition has nothing to do with life points (ie Sliver of the Immortal Spear).

They have almost unlimited design space staked out for raids.

Yes you are right, my game knowledge is nowhere near yours and seems that im yet to understand a lot of things about pve ( pvp fan here) , but except all theese raids you said ( with provided deck, with loss conditions being other than life points , or a constant to pervent healing) i still think that there will be enough raids where nothing so cruical is being played from the mob side against healing and they will require a healer, once again this is just a personal opinion coming from a fan of mmos and tcg , also as mentioned above it will bring the feeling of a MMO more and it will provoke teamplay and cordination :) , thanks for naming theese things about raids which i didnt know about Mr.Funsocks =)