PDA

View Full Version : Deck Archetypes too strong?

Barov
09-02-2013, 11:25 AM
So I realized something in a discussion with my friend the other day. It seems like the synergy between certain shard combinations may be too strong because a race incorporates both those shards.

For Example: Blood/Wild Shin'hare is a clear archetype and because of the incredibly strong synergy with each other I don't think it would be too surprising to see one of those decks in almost every draft. But then you cant make a Wild/Sapphire deck with nearly the same level of deck synergy because there is no Wild/Sapphire race.

I know your deck is not locked into a race but so many of the race cards interplay and combo with each other it seems it would be ideal to focus on a single race.
Dwarf's are probably the biggest offenders on this front. There are a lot of Dwarf cards that look completely unplayable unless you decide to go all in as a Dwarf/Artifact deck.

Now don't get me wrong I think these deck archetypes will be great for people new to TCGs to serve as a framework in deck building and drafting. I just hope future sets will expand out of these race shard niches and allow different deck combinations.

Xenavire
09-02-2013, 11:36 AM
So I realized something in a discussion with my friend the other day. It seems like the synergy between certain shard combinations may be too strong because a race incorporates both those shards.

For Example: Blood/Wild Shin'hare is a clear archetype and because of the incredibly strong synergy with each other I don't think it would be too surprising to see one of those decks in almost every draft. But then you cant make a Wild/Sapphire deck with nearly the same level of deck synergy because there is no Wild/Sapphire race.

I know your deck is not locked into a race but so many of the race cards interplay and combo with each other it seems it would be ideal to focus on a single race.
Dwarf's are probably the biggest offenders on this front. There are a lot of Dwarf cards that look completely unplayable unless you decide to go all in as a Dwarf/Artifact deck.

Now don't get me wrong I think these deck archetypes will be great for people new to TCGs to serve as a framework in deck building and drafting. I just hope future sets will expand out of these race shard niches and allow different deck combinations.

It is the first set - they have mentioned multiple times about 'working on things' for later sets. I think their current goal is to get some solid keyword interactions out there first, then add and iterate as they go.

I am sure by set 4/5 almost any shard combination should be viable (especially in legacy, if things cycle by that time), and I doubt there will be any massive imbalance in the meantime - I am sure any shard combination should work in draft (scooping up good cards with keywords should be enough to fill out holes) but constructed is more than likely going to be dominated with certain kinds of decks until set 2 rolls out. (Specifically, Blood/wild, diamond/ruby, sapphire/artifact, and possible variations and mono shard decks.)

They are just trying to toe the line between setting a framework, and having an interesting and fun first set.

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Keep in mind that, if we use Magic as an example, while occasionally there would be a tribal synergy that would do ok in drafts, usually drafts consist of non-tribal archetypes such as "blue/white fliers", "black/red or red/white fast aggro", "blue/black control" and so forth. The issue with a tribe like dwarves in a draft (from what we've seen thus far) is that to get good use out of them, you need to have a few artifacts out - which makes them conditionally good, as opposed to, say, the minor-socket commons and uncommons which are just straight up strong. Shin'hare also offends on this front - but the thing that makes them worse than dwarves is that, really, unless you have some X spells and crack a Ritualist of the Spring litter, then the best you're hoping for is a swarm of hoppers, which won't do much unless you get at least 2+ Command Towers or Bucktooth Commanders, and even then won't be overwhelming.

At this point, one of the best archetypes I could envision would be wild/sapphire mid-range. Wild has arguably the best troops on offer atm for a limited environment, with groovy stuff like Master Beast Rider (or whatever the new version is called with the minor socket, which is still more than good), Thunderbird, Succulent Roostasaur, Feral Ogre, Glimmerglen Witch, Briar Legion, Buccaneer, Cloud Titan, Boulder Brute, Ambershire Instigator... they get so many good commons and uncommons, and then to make things even better for the combination, they get access to the perma-flight champion (evasion is very useful in limited, and being able to give the huge wild troops flight is just gravy). The thing about all these cards though is that they're not just conditionally good - they're good without requiring other cards to make them good.

HyenaNipples
09-02-2013, 12:07 PM
With a 350 card set, I think you'll be hard pressed to draft enough synergistic cards to make an effective tribal deck.

Zomnivore
09-02-2013, 01:06 PM
I think you'll find something in there to your liking, probably some form of synergy usage will be involved but thats probably helped more by champion abilities and their root in keywords.

Champs basically being rooted to a style, and some of those synergy interactions probably has a lot to do with it.

funktion
09-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Actually... I would argue that shin'hare is a high risk high reward archtype for limited. It requires quite a few enablers that don't do much on their own (many of which other archtypes also benefit from) and without them it may fall apart fairly easily.

Leingod
09-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Ironically for the OP, wild/saph at first glance looks like one of the strongest draft options out there.

I can see shin'hare being ok for draft. However missing consistent wretched brood would hurt. Orcs and R/W inspire will probably be the best 'archetype' draft decks just going by what we've seen.

The_Wine_Gnat
09-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Another reason I'm excited that the Alpha is months long. The Devs can make sure different styles are well balanced and amend cards. Once Beta hits I think their hands are tied.