PDA

View Full Version : [FunktionFails] What's the pick #4 & Portensio giveaway

funktion
09-03-2013, 03:16 AM
Hey guys and gals,

Doing another quick video for you all. This time using the draft simulator to analyze the first 3 picks of a draft (often the most important).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHybltmqcOo&feature=youtu.be
FunktionFails: What's the pick #4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHybltmqcOo&feature=youtu.be)

On a completely different sidenote: I seem to be having audio problems at the very start of my videos. I recently started using cyberlink powerdirector 11 for post-production editing and it seems like that is the source of my problems. Anyone else use PD11 and know how to fix it? I think I'm already on the right track to getting it solved though (the software still feels pretty clunky for me).

nekoangel
09-03-2013, 05:00 AM
i used to use power director for my old wow tcg vids and had no problems so i cant help there =(

firstly i didnt think any of the packs were that good.

i would have probably gone with nuts and bolts or cerulean knight for first pick.

second pick is really hard, i dont really like inferno in draft as it doesnt do anything immediate when you may need it and the threshold is high. that would have probably lead me to the heavy welding bot though.

pick three would be wrenlock.

some fairly good saph cards might wheel around too like thunderbird so comiting to saph could have worked , pack four would have been buccaneer ,woot!

Icepick
09-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Yeah I think I would have picked from the Sapphire options from the first 2 packs, and then felt incredibly justified when Wrenlocke came out. Still, draft is as much about strategies you feel comfortable playing/know how to play as it is picking the right cards. No use building a control deck if you have no idea how to actually play one.

jtatta
09-03-2013, 12:09 PM
The video keeps giving me an error message at around the 1:12 mark but from what I can gather from the video preview, Thunderbird is the clear first pick. Not sure if you've looked at the commons that have been previewed thus far but Sapphire is so much better than everything else it's just not reasonable to not draft it every time.

hex_colin
09-03-2013, 12:30 PM
The video keeps giving me an error message at around the 1:12 mark but from what I can gather from the video preview, Thunderbird is the clear first pick. Not sure if you've looked at the commons that have been previewed thus far but Sapphire is so much better than everything else it's just not reasonable to not draft it every time.

I'd be torn between Burn and Thunderbird. Especially if it turns out that everyone ends up favoring Sapphire in Set 1 Limited, I'd factor that into my decision-making (likely fewer Sapphire cards available) and Thunderbird wouldn't necessarily be such a slam dunk.

jtatta
09-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Burn is also a reasonable pick as Ruby is pretty solid in the common slot as well. Still, I'm inclined to go Sapphire regardless of how many other people are in Sapphire if it remains the deepest color. I'm sure that other colors will catch up as the sets are designed around draft but the best color can't be avoided just because "lots of people draft it."

jtatta
09-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Okay I was able to watch the entire video and have some comments:

1.)Personally, I would have gone Thunderbird, Oracle's Song, and Wrenlocke. As I was saying, Sapphire is way too deep to ignore AT THIS POINT of the cards we've seen. Thunderbird and Buccaneer are easily the best commons and having multiples of each is unbeatable until we see more cards.

2.)I can't fault you for taking Burn first pick as that would be my second choice. I think I would've taken Veteran Gladiator second pick over Inferno but the pick you made would have been fine if you would've stayed the course with Ruby and taken the Ruby Lance over Archmage Wrenlocke who does nothing for a deck with Inferno. What I mean by that is he really wants you to play a ton of abilities in your deck where as Inferno wants you to play removal and powerful Troops.

3.)I feel like you could have had a powerful mono-Ruby deck with multiple Burns and Ruby Lances and a way to reliably cast your Inferno when you drew it. Instead, you would have likely ended up with a Ruby/Sapphire deck that can't reliably cast Inferno or have large enough Ruby Lances for the late game and just plays Wrenlocke with a bunch of Oracle's Song's.

While the draft could have gone differently, I did enjoy the video. Good job.

hex_colin
09-03-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm sure that other colors will catch up as the sets are designed around draft but the best color can't be avoided just because "lots of people draft it."

I wasn't suggesting at all the I'd avoid Sapphire if "lots of people draft it", just that that's 1 data point when considering the metagame. However, if it was clear everyone ahead of me in the pod was drafting Sapphire I'd be looking for value outliers in the other shards, e.g. if you, me, Funktion and Jax are all favoring Sapphire in a draft pod, someone else who knows what they're doing it likely to have a better deck than any of us in another shard.

Also, we've still got well over 100 cards to see, Sapphire may not end up being such a prohibitive favorite. :)

funktion
09-03-2013, 02:53 PM
For the record, i probably made the wrong third pick but if you listen all the way through i did not take wrenlocke. Although id say lance is better, it is also probably more likely to wheel than bombsmith.

Kroan
09-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Thunderbird is really a lose pick with all those sapphire cards in there. The person to your left might end up in blue because of it, making it worse for us in pack 2. Inner Conflict and Burn are def. the cotenders for P1P1. By far

jtatta
09-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Kroan, I'd agree with you if the white commons wren't as follows: Scrivener, Captain of the Dragon Guard, Charge, Inner Conflict, Kraken Guard Mariner, Radiant Armor, Repel, Soothing Breeze. With that lineup, taking Inner Focus is the loose pick. Let's compare that to blue who has: Buccaneer, Countermagic, Nuts and Bolts, Oracle's Song, Peek, Phoenix Guard Scout, Researcher Adept, Sapphire Aura, Thunderbird, Zodiac Shaman. To me, that is BY FAR the best lineup for commons. In my opinion NOT taking Thunderbird is loose.

Like I said, Burn is my second choice out of the pack since Sniper and Ruby Pyromancer are commons are also very good. Still, sapphire blows everything out of the water.

Kroan
09-04-2013, 02:15 PM
With 8 people in the draft, not everyone can be blue. The Ragebird is a decent flier, but nothing extremly exciting. Removal is a good firstpick, especially if it's splashable (read; your second color) like burn or inner conflict. I rather push my neighbours into the obvious color and let them fight over it and pick up the strong cards.

White also includes another strong common: Grim Skull Sorcerer. I would wager there are more commons to make white deeper.

So two premium commons in white right now, one which is removal. Blue has Time Rippel and Buccanneer (which are less good than we're used to in magic since everything seems to be permanent, still very good tho) and Oracle Song (I like me some divination). You get some other cards if you step into dwarf deck, but in P1P1 it's way to early to commit to that. Ragebird is a solid choice aswell, but I'm not conviced yet. Ragebird really depends on what else in the set.

jtatta
09-04-2013, 06:04 PM
You can't argue "white will have more good cards coming" because we are talking about the correct pick now given the current card pool. If you thunderbird Thunderbird isn't extremely exciting, I'll take the seat to your left in every draft pod. If im taking the best blue commons, and keep getting passed them, I'll gladly be one of three or four blue drafters.

I guess we just value cards differently.

Kroan
09-05-2013, 12:40 AM
You can't argue "white will have more good cards coming" because we are talking about the correct pick now given the current card pool. If you thunderbird Thunderbird isn't extremely exciting, I'll take the seat to your left in every draft pod. If im taking the best blue commons, and keep getting passed them, I'll gladly be one of three or four blue drafters.

I guess we just value cards differently. I disagree with the sentiment that you can't argue " white will have more cards coming", but even without that I'd pick Burn or Inner Conflict over a thunderbird. If you value a x/1 flier over removal, i'm not sure what I can say, but I gladly sit next to you aswell

nekoangel
09-05-2013, 04:40 AM
We're all in agreement that we need to sell more cards but for the record if ruby pyromancer was in pack one I would have windmill slammed that. ....

I would have let the bird do an attempted wheel Tbh it's good but fragile as people are saying basically all spot removal can kill it.

Mainly went for nuts and bolts first as it give two cards from one.

Also this is still very hard to discuss when wild looks so weak over all as they may have some bombs hiding around.

jtatta
09-05-2013, 09:37 AM
I'll take one of the best commons in the set in the deepest color over a Pacifism effect in a weak color any day of the week. Burn is literally the only card I'd consider taking over it.

Kroan
09-05-2013, 10:39 AM
I'll take one of the best commons in the set in the deepest color over a Pacifism effect in a weak color any day of the week. Burn is literally the only card I'd consider taking over it.
Dude, look. I believe that you believe that thunderbird is the pick. I don't think stating our views what the pick should be multiple times is going to help anyone.

jtatta
09-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Dude, look. I'll argue draft theory with anyone pretty much forever. I play limited more than any other format and it's what I enjoy doing the most. I work off of the information given and that's what has been spoiled so far. I'm not going to consider the unknowns at the moment of what might be coming out still because, well, it's unknown. If I had a 411 card spoiler in front of me, and could rank each common in each color, I might have a different opinion on what the correct pick is. To me, a Pacifism isn't the correct pick. You disagree, I get it, but you haven't really given any compelling arguments other than what might be still to come.

Again, I am certainly not trying to pick a fight but I'm backing up my argument with some pretty valid stats here and I'm not really getting anything back from you.

Kroan
09-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Your arguments are "Thunderbird is insane, blue is deepest color". I'm not certain which valid stats besides that you are pointing to?

Also I have posted several times my arguments, but since you say you didn't see any, here are they once more:
1. Both burn and inner conflict are premium removal. It's pretty basic knowledge that premium removal is a excellent first pick.
2. Thunderbird is a x/1 and, which is decent but not insane in my book. It's also a horrible topdeck. We're not really passing anything here.
3. The pack is packed with sapphire cards, which will push your neighbors into blue, which makes pack 2 worse for us.
4. Blue might be the deepest color, but that doesn't mean the rest is unplayable. It's far from the truth actually.
5. Both burn and inner conflict are easily splash able. They're both a reason to be that color. Thunderbird is not a reason to be sapphire imho.

I've been playing limited more than any other format aswell. I'm not sure how that matters in this discussion though. I think we can both expect that from each other...

In the end I won't hold it against anyone picking the Thunderbird. I mean, if you really want to force Sapphire in every draft, it's certainly a strategy.

Leingod
09-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Bird or Burn are definitely the only 2 picks there. With the current pool of cards, blood and diamond simply don't offer enough outside of bomb rares and some decent uncommons for limited. Add to that that saph is hands down the best draft color, with only wild giving it any competition, at the moment and bird becomes the most logical choice unless you think you'll get cut from saph.

Now, obviously, with most of the unspoiled cards being commons and uncommons to my knowledge, we can expect the other colors to gain a good bit of draft depth. Like you said, Grim Sorc is a great common creature and I'm sure more is on the way. Though if blood's common pool gets good I'd be a bit scared considering that it has probably the strongest rare pool atm.