PDA

View Full Version : Dragon*Con PvE Panel - Presentation Notes

CodexReaper
09-03-2013, 07:27 PM
These were the notes I took while listening to the PvE Panel. Some points (specifically the ones in the World & Exploration section) refer to the slide presentation, which you can see & listen to HERE (http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/) at HexVault.

I also included a few notes from the Chris Woods interview community member (AND MY GUILDIE) Gwaer had following the panel, which you can also see on HexVault HERE (http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/03/dragoncon-2013-interview-with-chris-woods-magical-creature/).

Many, many thanks to both Gwaer & Hex_Colin for recording & posting these!

Enjoy! :)

-------------------------

DUNGEONS

The Dungeon Maps we see are very zoomed out - they will look very different in game (Cory mentioned something about Parallax-style graphics within the Dungeon?)

Each node can be a battle, a conversation, or other event

There are 400-500 NPC/AI *ONLY* Cards that players cannot obtain

"Dungeon Reward Cards" - PvE cards only found by completing Dungeon runs

PvE cards/scenarios are designed to be used only against AI, not other players. Thus, player cards will have ridiculous & otherwise unfair mechanics designed to win against the computer.

Some Dungeons (like Scrapyard) will be largely combat-based, but Dungeons will incorporate everything from combat to conversations to puzzles - they're designed to be incredibly varied & dynamic across the board.

There's an example of a new Dungeon we haven't seen - a "Wendigo Dungeon" - focused more on NPC interaction & puzzle solving.

*Related Note - it sounds like there will be PvE "Encounters" that are neither Dungeons nor Raids. No word yet on what exactly those are.

RAIDS

All raids are unique, there are no re-used assets (except for the very first raid, which is designed as a tutorial for raiding & uses familiar cards & decks to teach players how to raid in Hex.)

Raids can be done solo, but will be RIDICULOUSLY hard to do!

Raid mechanics are designed to be crazy & "bizzarely difficult problems." Chris mentioned a "Insanity Meter" during a boss fight with a Chuthulu-like beast.

There's a Huge Emphasis on being On-Point & working together as a Team.

Raid Rewards: "The Purples" - The most powerful PvE items in the game. Sounds like Cards & Gear.

PROGRESSION. There will be a system of raid progression in Hex!

There are 72 Raid Rewards for Entire Progression Scene.

All raid encounters are built around the typical 3-Stage Format. Some are all-out fights, others involve storytelling/exploration (ie, one raid's Phase 1 is sailing to the location on a ship & using your cards to "Man the Sails")

There will be 10-11 Raids at release.

GEAR

All Cards have 2 pieces of Equipment

Characters have 6 Gear Slots

Rare & Legendary gear will radically transform the way cards function. You may decide you want to restructure decks around a single piece on a key card.

Designed to be one of the chasiest things in the game - Rare & Legendary will be hard to get.

All copies of a card are affected by Gear - technically, it's your character wearing it, not the card itself.

Sets & Set Bonuses are all over the place...not much talked about at D*C, but they involve far more than special cards. Charge powers mentioned as something that can be affected.

Gear Titles - "Master of Time," "Master of Chaos" - players will be left to figure out what that means; deduce from in-game occurances.

MERCENARIES / CLASSES

Mercenaries will level up similar to Player Champions, but in a more streamlined way

Doesn't seem like they can be used in Raids. Dungeons & Quests, yes - but not raids.

They each have a very unique, distinct moveset - best used with specific deck types (in contrast to Classes, which are more freeform)

Classes have more detailed Talent Trees & Speccing

PvE Champions will have multiple charge powers (PvP have just one)

WORLD & EXPLORATION

HOLY CRAP THIS WORLD IS HUUUUGGGGEEEE!!!

Sounds like the Green Outlined Zone is the entirety of the map at lauch. 8 races, 50 levels, 50 dungeons, 10 raids. All in there. WOW.

The screenshot is the Far-Out view. It's a rotatable, 3D model of the planet. You can zoom into the map at various levels - after World comes Section, then Region, then Cities/Dungeons/Explorable World.

It's designed to feel as as if you were living in a TCG world. Parallax Movement Screens currently seem to be in Cities (sounds like Dungeons, too), but we don't yet know how the rest of the world will be designed.

In-Depth work & details - ex., a flock of flying birds. No skimping on these cities, apparently.

Q&A (MISCELLANEOUS)

There WILL be Cross-Faction co-op in raids. Guilds will be limited to Ardent/Underworld, but raid groups can be mixed.

Each raider has their own, individual loot drops.

Story-Progress is saved by Faction, not Class. You can change your class during the story, and then pick it right back up where you left it.

However, each Faction has its own unique story arc. You'll need a champion on each faction to get both stories.

The Top-Level of the account is your Keep. Your Keep houses all your champions & mercenaries, and all have access to your entire card collection.

Players can have Keeps for both the Ardent & Underworld.

Daily Quests/Activities exist, but they are designed more as rewards. NO FARMVILLE IN HEX.

The idea of something like Daily Quests is to get you to try new parts of the game, & fun ways to reward you for simple activities, like logging in. (An extension of the Lotus Garden system?)

There will be a matchmaking system for raids.

You will not see the hands of teammates during a raid or encounter. You can look at cards they've played (including the Double-Back), but not their deck or hand.

Raids do have an action timer, but all three players can elect to pause the game as a group. No one-person griefing.

Every card you collect can be used in PvE. Restrictions will only apply to PvP play.

Cards will level up via General Useage & Completing Achievements.

Leveling a Card to full unlocks its Foil Version. Completing its Achievements unlocks the Extended Art. Neither will be obtained as drops.

Gear pieces are mutually-exclusive. One of each slot allowed on a character.

Dual-Spec (or Dual-Class) is a future design goal.

CZE is very aware of ensuring that the raid system neither rewards griefers, nor punishes good players.

Raids will not have a lockout system (ala World of Warcraft), but there will be unique, time-specific encounters that players will have to figure out. Those are deliberately being kept secret at this time, and the community will have to solve the mystery!

CZE is not worried about card farming (particularly in raids, given their difficulty). However, they are looking at potential limiters for items posted on the AH.

Really in-depth AI opponents. There will be no cheat-mechanics, but AI opponents will dynamically react to the cards you play like a normal person would in a PvP game - some may adjust their decks!

There will be a Dungeon that has a "Draft-like" playstyle, apparently called "Scrolls (Squirrels?) vs Dinosaurs"

You cannot change out Decks mid-Dungeon (but some will allow for Sideboarding)

YOU WILL HAVE LOADOUTS - you can save Cards, Gear, & Talents into a single Loadout that you choose at the start of an encounter.

Content will be generally released in a gradual, piece-by-piece fashion - though there will be much larger, major content updates as well.

Slow Updates will tease upcoming Set Themes & Storylines. The story will not simply be told within a single set of cards.

No real "Twitch" mechanics or gameplay, but there will be unique variants. For example, an encounter could have a Bomb Card with a timer - play too slow, it blows up, and you lose the match.

CZE expects to have a minimal oversight of Game Economy - they really want to have a "Hands-Off" approach.

Apparently, they've hired a Professional Economist that's helping them develop the in-game economic system!

There will be many things to buy with Gold/Platinum. Many different sinks, but not mundane ones like Equipment Repairs.

The PvE content will be designed such that a player can completely progress having only bought a Starter Deck. No "Money Walls."

However, players that put more time, money, & energy into their Card Collection will be accordingly rewarded with Hard Modes & Better Rewards.

CHRIS WOODS INTERVIEW W/ GWAER

Cards will not be changed, but Dungeon content may be revamped over time.

There may be a Block-Rotation system, but it would revolve around Dungeons, not Cards/Card Sets.

Raiders will have Independent Health Pools.

Certain Raids may have other Win Conditions in addition to player health.

There will be Cards specifically designed to affect your teammates (and it was inferred specific Classes will also matter in this regard)

No plans for Bind-on-Equip (BoE) or Bind-to-Account (BoA) items except for Mercenaries.

There are about 5 Dungeons related to every Raid. They're designed in a sequence, but they don't serve as required "Gates" for their Raid.

The_Wine_Gnat
09-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Great post! I'm still rereading a chunk of this, but raids, dungeons, and gear sound way more interesting than I first thought.

CodexReaper
09-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Great post! I'm still rereading a chunk of this, but raids, dungeons, and gear sound way more interesting than I first thought.

I was excited about the PvE to begin with, and this whole thing has been blowing my mind - there's a ton of stuff they covered in the panel - to be honest, after the all the silence on content after the flurry of KS updates, I think it's really great for the community to have a huge swath of content (both PvP & PvE!) to chew on.

Also, I definitely realize several of my notes here are a bit rushed & not worded great. If there's a particular section you find isn't making great sense, check back in a bit & I'll probably have edited it into better English. :P

Stok3d
09-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks for sharing CodexReaper!

Idus
09-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Heh, I just typed up my own version for my guild, before realising you'd already posted here. Most of what you have matches with what I had except 2 things :-

1. I thought they initially said "Scrolls vs Dinosaurs as well", but then I realised, isn't that the "Squirrels vs Dinosaurs" they've mentioned previously?

2. You don't think mercenaries are usable in raids? I didn't pick that up. I know he said you can use Mercenaries in a Dungeon, but I didn't think he meant ONLY in dungeons?

BongoBong
09-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Really glad to see that the ideas behind pve is sounding so good. Hopefully they can pull through with all their great ideas. I was a bit worried when I wasn't able to snag a pro player and instead got the dungeon crawler that the pve wouldn't be as great as they were touting it to be, but it really is looking good.

lucedes
09-04-2013, 12:27 AM
It's totally squirrels vs. dinosaurs, having listened to the audio of the panel.

Voices
09-04-2013, 01:48 AM
Excellent summary. Thanks for that.

Unhurtable
09-04-2013, 02:11 AM
10/10 pretty good notes.

Arbiter
09-04-2013, 02:34 AM
I think the big news here is with guild membership and finally confirmation that you will be able to have both factions in one account (original intent was one). Limiting guilds to a faction but not raids is interesting - so you can cross faction raid but not organise it within guild. And it means that those of us that were speculating that your guild membership was an account level choice were wrong. So I guess the last remaining question is whether individual characters will be members of guilds or if it will be a keep affiliation.

Are the guild masters all prepared to state the faction affiliation for their guilds in the recruitment forums? I would imagine some people will be looking for a new home now. I would guess that some guilds will have an Ardent and Underworld guild for members, although that can cause problems. One interesting question then is whether it will be possible to create a custom cross faction chat channel for linked cross faction guilds.

<relevant extracts from OP>

There WILL be Cross-Faction co-op in raids. Guilds will be limited to Ardent/Underworld, but raid groups can be mixed.

The Top-Level of the account is your Keep. Your Keep houses all your champions & mercenaries, and all have access to your entire card collection.

Players can have Keeps for both the Ardent & Underworld.

FeelNFine
09-04-2013, 03:57 AM
There may be a Block-Rotation system, but it would revolve around Dungeons, not Cards/Card Sets.

Now thats interesting, could you perhaps expound on that? Does that mean future card sets will be inserted into old territories? And PvP will be tied to the themes of PvE?

Patrigan
09-04-2013, 04:20 AM
Designed to be one of the chasiest things in the game - Rare & Legendary will be hard to get.

I'm happy with my Dungeon Crawler at the moment :o

Mindless
09-04-2013, 05:26 AM
Sounds good. Too bad its a long wait until PVE :(

Mindless
09-04-2013, 05:27 AM
I'm happy with my Dungeon Crawler at the moment :o

You should be. I want to upgrade from my king now but its to late :/ 20 legendary/rare pieces as well as much better chance at all loot sounds more or less insane to me right now.

sorry for double post :/

Shadowelf
09-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Now thats interesting, could you perhaps expound on that? Does that mean future card sets will be inserted into old territories? And PvP will be tied to the themes of PvE?

For pvp, they will be releasing 1 set every 4 months aka 3 sets a year, that will be forming a block and rotate every 2 years.(https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ign-mpt=uo%3D4 episode 54 check 0:52:00)

As for pve they said that minor updates will work as a filler between pvp sets, helping as an introduction to next pvp's set story. Major pve updates will be happening when a pvp block rotates (http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:51:20)

Norious
09-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Great stuff - I think the PVE will really launch this game into the stratosphere. Namely because there seems to be unlimited potential for casual play. CE is doing it right!

BossHoss
09-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Great summary thanks!

I am a PvP drafter and constructed player but more and more I fall in love with PvE

dogmod
09-04-2013, 09:00 AM
There will be many things to buy with Gold/Platinum. Many different sinks, but not mundane ones like Equipment Repairs

I was not concerned about this but it did peak my interest. The line before has been that the only thing you can buy from CZE will be packs and entry fees. But when asked this question he stated there were many many things to buy with Gold and platinum. Possibly a Cory mispeak or have they expanded the sales force a bit?

Shadowelf
09-04-2013, 09:16 AM
I was not concerned about this but it did peak my interest. The line before has been that the only thing you can buy from CZE will be packs and entry fees. But when asked this question he stated there were many many things to buy with Gold and platinum. Possibly a Cory mispeak or have they expanded the sales force a bit?

Not a mispeak; he said that they are not quite ready of talking about it yet. (http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:58:25). For platinum, he was most probably refering to packs, starters, entry fees and AH. For gold he gave a hint in this interview;

I don’t want to say what it is yet because it’s going to be a pretty big reveal, but I’ve built into the game a gold sink that is fun. It’s going to be something you’re gonna be able to do that is going to be super-fun and I think people are gonna love it. Maybe I’m wrong. My instincts are usually good, but I’ve been taught that I can be wrong via Kickstarter. But I think people are going to like it, and I think it actually gives you the opportunity to use gold in a way that’s super-fun and is going to pull it out of the economy because it’s something you’re gonna want to do as opposed to have to do.
I think that’s gonna keep gold very high in terms of value, which is gonna help everyone, including the people who want to play for free. Maybe I’m working against myself here, but the idea that the PBE guys gathering gold, gold may be a commodity that is valuable enough that they’re going to be able to trade it for some of the PBP cards that they want, so your time played can actually equal the other pieces of the game so that you don’t have to spend a ton of money.
(http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/21/gencon-2013-interview-with-a-princess-transcript/)

MoikPEI
09-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Gold is prolly Keep-related.
Maybe loot rerolls.

dogmod
09-04-2013, 09:58 AM
It is the "probably" and they way he lumped gold and plat together that I found interesting. I am sure the ways they will sink gold/spend gold will be large and hopefully fun.

Sergan
09-04-2013, 10:00 AM
excellent post!
Thanks.

felmare
09-04-2013, 10:01 AM
i am interested in the foil card versions. say for instance pack raptor. you play the actual card and the 4 copies go into the deck. if you play a copy does it level the actual one you played? if thats the case pack raptors seem like they would be insanely hard to level because you may be playing a copy of the actual card when you want to be leveling your other ones..

Icepick
09-04-2013, 10:04 AM
I just wanted to point out that it's a Wendigo, not a Windego or a Verdingo or any other crazy name I've seen around here. Don't you people know anything about mythology? :P

Unhurtable
09-04-2013, 10:05 AM
It could be that they stated it as "Gold/Plat" because everything you pay for with gold you might be indirectly able to pay with plat. In other words, they could've rephrased it as "There will be lots of 'Currency' sinks".

i am interested in the foil card versions. say for instance pack raptor. you play the actual card and the 4 copies go into the deck. if you play a copy does it level the actual one you played? if thats the case pack raptors seem like they would be insanely hard to level because you may be playing a copy of the actual card when you want to be leveling your other ones..
I'd personally presume that the Pack Raptor copies will not grant additional experience / achievements to the original card. It would not be hard to do this (have a reference to the original raptor whenever the copy does things) but they would have to scale the experience required / achievement numbers to compensate. In other words I think it would give them more headache compared to the potential benefits.

ossuary
09-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Well, since copies are tokens, and they track each card individually, I was personally operating under the assumption that each copy the original raptor creates is tied back to that raptor, so that damage dealt with any of those 5 raptors counts towards the achievement for the original raptor (otherwise, dealing 1K damage with just that one raptor and none of the other 4 count for anything would be kinda weird and hard).

The copies probably wouldn't gain any xp towards foiling, though, since again they are copies that disappear as soon as the game is over.

felmare
09-04-2013, 10:26 AM
The copies probably wouldn't gain any xp towards foiling, though, since again they are copies that disappear as soon as the game is over.

This is my point being that if you are trying to foil your raptors you would have to be very lucky to draw an original raptor rather than other copies. I think the other way foiling COULD work is if they get flat exp for just being in the deck. i dunno.

CodexReaper
09-04-2013, 10:59 AM
I just wanted to point out that it's a Wendigo, not a Windego or a Verdingo or any other crazy name I've seen around here. Don't you people know anything about mythology? :P

Heh. Point taken. ;)

Also - about the Mercs & their use in raids (a question from earlier in this thread) it's true that it was not stated they wouldn't be useable in raids. That was what I (rightly or wrongly) inferred from hearing "Mercs used in Dungeons" several times. Given their more limited & streamlined leveling approach, Mercs won't be as deep or customizable as Player Classes in both Charge Powers & Deck Builds. And in addition, if Mercs were thrown into the raiding scene with Classes, then CZE would have to take their abilities into account when designing & balancing dungeons - although our dear theorycrafters would probably have a hayday with those thrown into the mix. :P All in all, I think they'd be a welcome addition in raids, but I can see some good reasons to leave raiding strictly to Player Classes - but, by all means, let's discuss the topic & lay out our thoughts!

ossuary
09-04-2013, 11:05 AM
This is my point being that if you are trying to foil your raptors you would have to be very lucky to draw an original raptor rather than other copies. I think the other way foiling COULD work is if they get flat exp for just being in the deck. i dunno.

No, because the original had to be in play to create those copies. So if the original or any of the copies qualifies to receive xp, then the original receives xp (but not multiple times for having multiple copies in play). This is assuming that you have to "do X with card" to get xp for that card, and not just "win with this deck, all cards in deck get xp."

Corpselocker
09-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Hrmm... must get with the guild about faction...

felmare
09-04-2013, 11:22 AM
No, because the original had to be in play to create those copies. So if the original or any of the copies qualifies to receive xp, then the original receives xp (but not multiple times for having multiple copies in play). This is assuming that you have to "do X with card" to get xp for that card, and not just "win with this deck, all cards in deck get xp."

I am very interested in how they will have the cards gain exp...

CodexReaper
09-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Hrmm... must get with the guild about faction...

Just as a note - because I know MOST everyone who is seeing that it thinking the same thing - as odd as it sounds in practice, let's keep in mind we haven't heard the entire story of how Guilds will work. This was said in an answer to the question about Cross-Faction Raids, and was mentioned on the side - honestly, as controversial as the statement may initially seem, we don't have the entire context of PvE Guilds. We haven't even had a direct question & answer on that point. It would probably be wise to not make snap judgements about "Which faction will my guild be?!?" until we have the full system laid out.

But, again - let's make this discussion happen. I love that we're already having community dialogue on things that were brought up at Dragon*Con - the point about how guilds will function in PvE is an incredibly important topic, and this is a chance for some very constructive feedback that could be very useful for CZE. (Besides, we aren't even in Alpha yet - this is hardly a set-in-stone issue at this time.)

felmare
09-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Just as a note - because I know MOST everyone who is seeing that it thinking the same thing - as odd as it sounds in practice, let's keep in mind we haven't heard the entire story of how Guilds will work. This was said in an answer to the question about Cross-Faction Raids, and was mentioned on the side - honestly, as controversial as the statement may initially seem, we don't have the entire context of PvE Guilds. We haven't even had a direct question & answer on that point. It would probably be wise to not make snap judgements about "Which faction will my guild be?!?" until we have the full system laid out.

But, again - let's make this discussion happen. I love that we're already having community dialogue on things that were brought up at Dragon*Con - the point about how guilds will function in PvE is an incredibly important topic, and this is a chance for some very constructive feedback that could be very useful for CZE. (Besides, we aren't even in Alpha yet - this is hardly a set-in-stone issue at this time.)
Maybe a new thread?

Shrennan
09-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I know each card has two pieces of equipment associated with it but is that two pieces for every rarity or just two different pieces that are linked to only one rarity - I.e. one common and one legendary equipment total for a card.

felmare
09-04-2013, 11:36 AM
I know each card has two pieces of equipment associated with it but is that two pieces for every rarity or just two different pieces that are linked to only one rarity - I.e. one common and one legendary equipment total for a card.
This is probably going to be mixed. ive seen rare/legendary card equips as well. but i dont think it will be legendary/legendary for any cards. It will probably be mixed rarities.

Vibraxus
09-04-2013, 11:41 AM
OMG!!! I almost passed out reading that. Must! Play! Now!

Shadowelf
09-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Ok what we know so far;

Guilds in general;

hex has big plans for guilds like guild vs guild tournaments, guild banks, guild rankings, guild chat etc..More on guilds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUn3gOclMc check 0:22:25 and also https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ign-mpt=uo%3D4 episode 54 check 0:38.25

We’ll be able to gather the same information we always did before without having to commit to trading and buy the cards we need until we have made our final deck choices. Probably one of the greatest benefits is a huge one: we won’t have to physically sort cards anymore! Also, in this digital world and MMO platform, we will have new benefits as a Guild in achievements that the developers will set up in the future. Some rewards will be in obvious forms like cards, both promotional and sought after and in game gold. But there’s also something else I’m really excited about; after major tournaments, some guilds will get access to the top 8 decks to add to their testing gauntlet. You won’t have these decks or cards to use outside of your guild, but you’ll always have them to test against or look back to for future deck inspiration.
And don’t forget about the rivalries! I’m sure there will be reputations to build up both digital and grapevine-based. Tournaments will be the battlegrounds on which these guilds will clash and the world will be watching. Talking with the Cryptozoic guys, they hope to someday have a full on eSports kind of vibe with fans watching from home with full commentary to help give character to the action.
(http://hextcg.com/the-guild-experience/)

Guild bank

3) Guild Bank = Yes, not sure if there will be a common pool to access, but there will be common decks. Let me explain:

Guildies will be able to create decks and put them into the guild bank (I believe there are a limited number of slots). Any guild member will then be able to "check them out" and play them against other guild members (can't play them against non-guild members or in tournaments). Think of this like a "gauntlet" where you put all the best decks in the current format in there, then you and your guildies test out all your decks against the guild decks to see if your strategies are working. We want to make sure deck testing is easy and intuitive for you.

You won't be able to trade the cards in these decks, and the original owner can check them back out for good or just to modify them. Also, only one person can have one of these checked in decks in a game at a time.

Lastly, we are also thinking of some way for guilds to gain the ability to have the top decks of major tournaments populated into their deck repository to play against.

Guilds and factions

You can run both factions into one account, and you can interact normally with opposite races; form guilds and raid together. The difference will be some faction specific quests and dungeons (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:25:25 to 0:26:44)

The only dungeon (we know of) that will force you to choose and the choice will be account bound is the arena. there will be 2 pair of enemies battling out that will be rotating on a yearly basis, and once you choose to ally with one, you can't get the card associated with the other (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ign-mpt=uo%3D4, episode 54 check 0:30:15)

As for faction specific quests, these will be champion bound, meaning that you will be able to complete all faction specific quests in one account (http://hextcg.com/exclamation-points...uestion-marks/)

You can use all the cards in your collection; there will be one master account and despite the race you will be using all the cards will be available to you (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 25:25)

Gorgol
09-04-2013, 01:42 PM
OMG reading all of those things and then listening to the audio, I'm now at hype level 1000! I cannot wait! And for people who didn't slacker back or kickstart, all of those things will be COMPLETELY free. That just blows my damn mind!

CodexReaper
09-04-2013, 01:54 PM
OMG reading all of those things and then listening to the audio, I'm now at hype level 1000! I cannot wait! And for people who didn't slacker back or kickstart, all of those things will be COMPLETELY free. That just blows my damn mind!

I think one of the points that needs highlighted the most is this one:

The PvE content will be designed such that a player can completely progress having only bought a Starter Deck. No "Money Walls."

It really sounds like CZE has thought the process & business model through in great detail (if I recall correctly, it was Cory who made this point) and this is something players should definitely be talking about when we're spreading news about the game. If all these goals for PvE are met when the game is launched, it could make a huge splash in the F2P market for both tablets & computers!

Shrennan
09-04-2013, 05:15 PM
This is probably going to be mixed. ive seen rare/legendary card equips as well. but i dont think it will be legendary/legendary for any cards. It will probably be mixed rarities.

That would make sense. It's probably two pieces of equipment max per card at a fixed rarity level. I imagine a legendary/legendary equip would be too unbalanced. Even for PVE! =P

deathandtexas
09-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Just a guess for the "fun" gold sink... in game casino run by dwarves... :^)

CodexReaper
09-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Someone give this man a cookie.

Kalis
09-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Reading all this has made me both super excited and kinda wary. I mean it all sounds too good to be true and you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true.

ossuary
09-05-2013, 03:49 AM
They were designed by someone with a clear vision and good business sense? :)

Thrawn
09-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Reading all this has made me both super excited and kinda wary. I mean it all sounds too good to be true and you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true.

What Cryptozoic is promising is mostly pretty realistic, it's the crazy ideas and expectations people read from some of these things that start to be "too good to be true". Seems a lot of people are almost expecting the PVE side to be some WoW style MMO with cards where what we are getting is probably closer to Duels of the Planeswalkers single player challenges.

CodexReaper
09-05-2013, 10:08 AM
What Cryptozoic is promising is mostly pretty realistic, it's the crazy ideas and expectations people read from some of these things that start to be "too good to be true". Seems a lot of people are almost expecting the PVE side to be some WoW style MMO with cards where what we are getting is probably closer to Duels of the Planeswalkers single player challenges.

Having played Duels 2014, I actually feel that's underselling it quite a bit. The Duels campaign was lackluster, had very little depth in terms of decks & strategy, and barely brought much of a challenge with a very few exceptional encounters. HEX won't be WoW with cards, sure, but the PvE side of the game will bring an incredible amount of playability & depth that Duels doesn't even come close to touching. In the middle of a card fight, sure - that'll be fairly in-line with it there - but that's prettymuch where all the similarities end.

Maphalux
09-05-2013, 11:45 AM
I think HEX PvE will be closer to the old Microprose Duels of the Planeswalkers, only without the little 2d avatar.

CodexReaper
09-05-2013, 12:36 PM
That could very well be, I can only say in comparison to what I know from 2014.

Captain_Obvious
09-05-2013, 12:43 PM

~And wouldn`t it be on Coyotle land?~

Namiriel
09-15-2013, 11:57 AM
"
There WILL be Cross-Faction co-op in raids. Guilds will be limited to Ardent/Underworld, but raid groups can be mixed."

That sounds really bad. So PvP focused guilds basically can't exist?

Unhurtable
09-15-2013, 12:04 PM
"
There WILL be Cross-Faction co-op in raids. Guilds will be limited to Ardent/Underworld, but raid groups can be mixed."

That sounds really bad. So PvP focused guilds basically can't exist?

Why would it disable the possibility of PvP focused guilds?

Shrennan
09-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Why would it disable the possibility of PvP focused guilds?

As far as I am currently aware, Cory and crew are thinking about making guilds PVE focused with a different system meant for PVP - teams. I personally think it's a really smart idea because teams can be part of the same guild and a guild can run different teams - it doesn't exclude guilds from having a PVP component, but for people who don't want to join a guild, they can simply join a 6 person team that is dedicated to PVP.

Dralon
09-15-2013, 02:19 PM
As we understand it now PVP games, battles, records, etc, sound like they will be linked to the account level and not to a specific Keep or character which are the PVE aspect and where the guilds come into play.

There is another concept of teams for players, and I would love to have an account based guild affiliation as well. Where you log in and it is your account that joins a Guild, not a particular character. I don't think even CZE has a fully fleshed out idea of how this is all going to work.

Atomzed
09-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Wow, thanks for the notes! It sure beats going through the full audio, as I'm more a visual person.

And I'm so glad to back Hex, as PVE is what I'm most excited about! If PVE is half as epic as what they promised, it will surely beat all the current tcg out there in the market.

Did they say when the PVE will be out? Is it going to be sep 2014?

Shadowelf
09-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Did they say when the PVE will be out? Is it going to be sep 2014?

I don't think there will be pve in Alpha, most probably beta judging from what they were saying (end/beginning of the year). But they also said that they will be slowly incorporating features into the game, so i wouldn't be surprised if they loaded up a dungeon for testing before that

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/31/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pvp-design-panel/ check 0:36:05

Hemotherapy
09-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks for posting

CodexReaper
09-17-2013, 07:46 AM
As far as I am currently aware, Cory and crew are thinking about making guilds PVE focused with a different system meant for PVP - teams. I personally think it's a really smart idea because teams can be part of the same guild and a guild can run different teams - it doesn't exclude guilds from having a PVP component, but for people who don't want to join a guild, they can simply join a 6 person team that is dedicated to PVP.

Oh, that's new (I think) - did that come up in an interview or a post somewhere since Dragon*Con? I know there was a fansite that had one with Cory coming up...

Namiriel
09-17-2013, 10:09 AM
As we understand it now PVP games, battles, records, etc, sound like they will be linked to the account level and not to a specific Keep or character which are the PVE aspect and where the guilds come into play.

There is another concept of teams for players, and I would love to have an account based guild affiliation as well. Where you log in and it is your account that joins a Guild, not a particular character. I don't think even CZE has a fully fleshed out idea of how this is all going to work.

I was previously under the impression it was an account that joined a guild, though if they're faction specific this sounds like no longer the case. Yes, there are 8 man teams... but saying the pvp players can join a "guild" that's locked at 8 seems miserable.

Guild chat seems a obvious feature, and not being able to chat with guildies between tourney rounds (since you're on the "wrong" character) sounds dumb.

Enuncia
09-17-2013, 10:47 AM
In regards to the many posts I've seen here and on the thread about the guild faction issue about guild chat; could it be that CZE is relying on guilds to have their own IRC/teamchat server/any of the dozens such programs out there? I agree that I too would like an in-game guild chat, but if this is indeed an issue it's not like there will be no way for guildies to chat when playing characters from different factions. Just an uniformed thought.