PDA

View Full Version : Booster pack boxes

Alive
09-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Has anyone heard that they might have Booster pack boxes of some sort? Where you get a discount for buying in bulk?

Dralon
09-03-2013, 08:56 PM
I have not seen anything about a bulk buy discount discussed yet. Just that opening packs in bulk emulates the opening of a print run booster box as far as card distribution goes.

Badger
09-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Don't think so. There is no reason for it in a digital environment.

Mr.Funsocks
09-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Bulk discounts in a digital medium with an AH devalue the price of packs. Anyone with half a brain will just buy the largest bulk they can, get a massive discount, and sell them on the AH for a slight markup, but still well cheaper than the price from CZE. Then anyone who buys packs for the full price directly will feel like shit when they find out the AH regularly has them for 30% less. It would make more sense for CZE to just sell them for the reduced price if that was the case.

Cotton
09-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Bulk discounts in a digital medium with an AH devalue the price of packs. Anyone with half a brain will just buy the largest bulk they can, get a massive discount, and sell them on the AH for a slight markup, but still well cheaper than the price from CZE. Then anyone who buys packs for the full price directly will feel like shit when they find out the AH regularly has them for 30% less. It would make more sense for CZE to just sell them for the reduced price if that was the case.

And we're done here!

keldrin
09-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up regrettably. Still, VIP program is a nice, if limited quantity, way of getting cheaper packs.

BenAndrion
09-04-2013, 01:07 AM
you know what is funny?
Right now booster boxes of Return to Ravnica are being sold for around 95 dollars.
there are 36 packs in a box.
that makes each pack around $2.64, as compared to around 4 dollars each pack costs separately....
AND YET PEOPLE STILL BUY BOOSTERS AT 4 DOLLARS
because not everyone has 95 dollars to shell out in one go all the time.
but the fact that it is there makes it tempting for people like me to reach out and shell out that much in one go.
so I will argue, and continue to do so, that having a booster box discount will not harm the integrity of the game.
But rather make it more affordable for family and friends to pitch together to be able to enjoy this game. because it looks awesome. Anything that makes the game more available to the public and simultaneously bring in more revenue is always good.
One can not afford to base ones' game off what will happen in the secondary market.

Kroan
09-04-2013, 01:19 AM
you know what is funny?
Right now booster boxes of Return to Ravnica are being sold for around 95 dollars.
that makes each pack around $2.64, as compared to around 4 dollars each pack costs separately....
but the fact that it is there makes it tempting for people like me to reach out and shell out that much in one go.
so I will argue, and continue to do so, that having a booster box discount will not harm the integrity of the game.
But rather make it more affordable for family and friends to pitch together to be able to enjoy this game. because it looks awesome. Anything that makes the game more available to the public and simultaneously bring in more revenue is always good.
One can not afford to base ones' game off what will happen in the secondary market.
I think the problem with this is that online it's much easier to resell those boosters. That's why MTGO doesn't have an option to buy a box either. And even then the price is between $2-$3 on the secondary market for a booster. Imagine what it would be if you could buy a box.

Khazrakh
09-04-2013, 01:30 AM
you know what is funny?

That's true in the physical world where you can't just go to the AH and buy your cheap boosters there. In the digital world everbody with half a brain is going to buy the boosters where they are cheapest. So if you can't afford to buy the box you'll just buy the boosters from the AH. Nobody would ever pay the full price.
In fact, CZE wouldn't bring in more revenue, they'd reduce the value of their boosters.

ossuary
09-04-2013, 04:30 AM
Besides, the price of a booster is already cheaper in Hex than even the price per pack from a box of MtG cards. The quality of the contents is also higher, as there are no land cards to clog up the pack. Not to mention the whole treasure chest thing.

Like I've said before in this thread and elsewhere, I would be fine if they decide for some reason to offer a bulk discount, but I don't think they SHOULD, and I don't think they WILL.

Kroan
09-04-2013, 04:39 AM
I'm not sure whether the quality of a virtual product can be compared to that of a physical product tbh. But the rest of your post I agree with

RanaDunes
09-04-2013, 04:47 AM
Yeah I don't think a discount bulk is a wise thing to do.

However, let's say if you buy a box (10 packs for instance) you get one guaranteed Mythic card. (Not a bad deal right? at least the poor bastard just opened 10 packs, might as well guarantee him one mythic).

Kroan
09-04-2013, 05:06 AM
Handing out a promo when you buy x amount wouldn't be a bad idea.

ossuary
09-04-2013, 05:15 AM
I would be fine with something along the lines of buy 10 packs (or whatever number), get a bonus rare or better treasure chest (plus whatever other chests you normally get). This way, they're getting something extra, but CZE doesn't have to produce any new material, they're just giving you bonus existing material. I don't like the idea of them having to make additional promos just for buying X packs.

Dralon
09-04-2013, 05:39 AM
Yes, the in game AH, and ready access to it at anytime by anyone, pretty much eliminates the need fora 'box discount'. However I'll buy in bulk when I do, just to get a better distribution of cards I open, to try to nullify the RNG as much as possible.

ossuary
09-04-2013, 05:45 AM
Yes, the in game AH, and ready access to it at anytime by anyone, pretty much eliminates the need fora 'box discount'. However I'll buy in bulk when I do, just to get a better distribution of cards I open, to try to nullify the RNG as much as possible.

Not necessary. Pack contents are generated at the time you open them, not the time you buy them. You can buy a pack a week for 10 months, then open all 40 at once and it will be as though all 40 came from the same "box" of cards.

felmare
09-04-2013, 10:36 AM
you know what is funny?
you do know that hex boosters are 2$ PER right? also booster prices will be lower because of drafting. some people will be selling boosters for 1.75 or lower... hows that for a discount?

Mr.Funsocks
09-04-2013, 10:39 AM
As many have said, real life cards != digital cards. With a world-spanning marketplace, it's quite literally a 1-1. The cheapest price for boosters will lower the price on the AH to just above that price. Bulk discounts are flat out pointless.

Nari
09-04-2013, 11:50 AM
I doubt discounts will be at thing (at least permanently), but it's been confirmed that opening a certain number of packs all at once can replicate the sort of "packaging numbers" one would expect out of a box set of cards in other card games.

So even if you're paying full price, you'll be able to somewhat control how many of each card you obtain assuming you open enough.

Ozweego
09-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Nari and Ossuary are right.

They are digitally representing a standard print run, to avoid rarity flux problems, and to allow that box mentality opening experience exist in the completely digital.

Chris explained this as a bunch of hoppers filled with "boxes" and until that hopper is empty packs from another hopper won't be used. This prevents the whole "I opened 20 packs, and got 20 <insert rare here>" Or for that matter, a draft with too many of the same common/uncommons.

The beauty of these guys, is they make TCG/CCG's already. They know the ins and outs of normalizing print runs, distribution of power, and all the flaws and problems that can happen during the process. Trust in a maker of great games guys. This will not be a problem.

Just don't open 1 pack a week, or who knows, you may end up with 10 of those rares.

vickrpg
09-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I wonder how the chests in the packs are generated as well, when you open the chest or when you open the pack? And wasn't there also a chance that there could be a pack in the chest? pack-ception.

Turtlewing
09-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Not necessary. Pack contents are generated at the time you open them, not the time you buy them. You can buy a pack a week for 10 months, then open all 40 at once and it will be as though all 40 came from the same "box" of cards.

Though you might have to issue an "open 40 packs" command rather than 40 "open 1 pack" commands depending on how many other people are opening packs at the same time.

Yoss
09-04-2013, 01:40 PM
I wonder how the chests in the packs are generated as well, when you open the chest or when you open the pack? And wasn't there also a chance that there could be a pack in the chest? pack-ception.
Generated when you open. That's why we are tempted to save packs to open during GenCon next year: to get chests with promo mercs in them.

ossuary
09-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Though you might have to issue an "open 40 packs" command rather than 40 "open 1 pack" commands depending on how many other people are opening packs at the same time.

Yes, that's how they explained it. When you are going to open packs, you tell the computer how many you are opening of your collection, and those all get opened from the same theoretical box space. If you open packs one at a time, each individual one is opened from wherever you are at that moment in the collective box space of the entire server.

Vibraxus
09-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Perhaps buy X packs and one procs as a Primal....Id say atleast 20 packs to get that Primal spawn.

Yoss
09-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Perhaps buy X packs and one procs as a Primal....Id say atleast 20 packs to get that Primal spawn.
I thought Primal is triggered at time of purchase and not related to the "print runs". I guess I never heard them say that though.

Vibraxus
09-04-2013, 02:50 PM
I thought Primal is triggered at time of purchase and not related to the "print runs". I guess I never heard them say that though.

Right, it wasnt said Primals are part of a print run, and Im not offering a solution to print runs, Im offering a solution to the "Buy a ton of packs and get a discount and it kills economy" issue. My solution is "Buy a ton of packs, get no discount but one is guaranteed Primal"

Yoss
09-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Right, it wasnt said Primals are part of a print run, and Im not offering a solution to print runs, Im offering a solution to the "Buy a ton of packs and get a discount and it kills economy" issue. My solution is "Buy a ton of packs, get no discount but one is guaranteed Primal"
Oooooh! I was reading your post in context with the one before it talking about opening a bunch at once, but I guess that's not what you meant.

So, to your original intent, yeah, that would work.

ossuary
09-04-2013, 04:14 PM
I think a guaranteed primal is too good. They're supposed to be a big deal that you are thrilled to get by chance, not "spend X and we'll hand you one."

Lafoote
09-04-2013, 05:08 PM
I still don't understand why everyone is certain packs will be cheap on AH. The availability vs demand is not established, and sales of this game may, or may NOT mirror MTGO. I'm sure, at the start of Beta, KS backers without vision will dump packs for a quick profit, but after that, it remains to be seen if the demand or supply will rule, or if incentives may fuel further sales.

Malicus
09-04-2013, 05:53 PM
I still don't understand why everyone is certain packs will be cheap on AH. The availability vs demand is not established, and sales of this game may, or may NOT mirror MTGO. I'm sure, at the start of Beta, KS backers without vision will dump packs for a quick profit, but after that, it remains to be seen if the demand or supply will rule, or if incentives may fuel further sales.

An efficient and available marketplace within the game gaurantees that the value of a 2nd hand booster be lower than $2 simply because of the removed chance at a primal so the baseline for 2nd hand boosters already establishes a maximum price below $2.

There has been extensive speculation on the demand side of the equation but supply can establish a cost to acquire model which identifies the logically consistent lower bound via analysis of all the means by which boosters are acquired such as VIP, tournament wins, drafting etc. Each of these offer a different value for the boosters produced in each way and by combining them you can make estimates of the supply available at any given level and the cost to acquire, by combining these you can establish an average cost to acquire and thereby identify the lowest reasonable price at which a booster could be sold which is pretty low unless demand is very high, (this is because supply at the lower prices is constrained so prices will eventually rise if demand outstrips these constraints)

Additionally there is some expectation that demand will be low enough that price competition between suppliers will drive prices down below the thoretical cost to acquire (while in business this is illogical in a hobby where you have individuals with possibly lower costs to acquire (infinite drafters) or simply a desire to convert some of their investment such possibilities are reasonable).

Mr.Funsocks
09-04-2013, 08:55 PM

They will always be available on the AH for a price between the cheapest you can get them ($1.00 VIP right now) and the default retail ($2.00). If you can get them for less more reliably than VIP (say a bulk discount so they're $1.50) they will then always be available for somewhere around $1.60. Because if you can spend 150 bucks (100 packs), click a few buttons, and tomorrow have 160 bucks, someone will do it. Unless the number of people playing the game is so low no one is willing to buy them regularly.

So yes, discounted packs from CZE means ALL packs are discounted.

vickrpg
09-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Generated when you open. That's why we are tempted to save packs to open during GenCon next year: to get chests with promo mercs in them.
Didn't answer my question.
Are the contents of the chest generated when you open the pack it is contained in, or when you open the chest itself?
So, do I have to save packs for gencon or just save chests?

Lafoote
09-05-2013, 06:55 AM
I get the price equation. I think that if demand is as low as you speculate, this game will be in a heap of trouble though. It still seems to me the relatively low number of infinite drafters(once a week is not that infinite) and such should be massively overwhelmed by the total population if the game is going anywhere at all.

In addition, making "booster box" packs BoP(the packs mind you, not the cards therein) will alleviate resale concerns.

zadies
09-05-2013, 07:05 AM
You have to sav the packs for gencon. Any pack that is opened during gencon gets flagged to roll on the gencon loot table once it is opened whenever it is opened.

Turtlewing
09-05-2013, 09:50 AM

We know what the supply side looks like which lets us establish a range of possible pack values on the AH.

That range is between (lowest cost to buy a pack from CZE + AH fees + one currency unit profit) and $2.00 (CZE's standard price)

A bulk discount lowers the low end of that range thus allowing packs to be sold for less provided the demand for packs does not exceed the availability of packs at the low end.

Right now the low end is established by VIP membership, which is extremely supply limited which means it will be unlikely to pull down the equilibrium price unless demand is very low. A bulk discount would not be heavily supply limited and would likely have a large impact on pack prices.

Mr.Funsocks
09-05-2013, 08:27 PM
In addition, making "booster box" packs BoP(the packs mind you, not the cards therein) will alleviate resale concerns.

That sounds like an all-around terrible idea, in so many ways, in a TRADING card game, where literally everything else you pay real money for ever is completely tradeable, and in a game where low price-of-entry is a major draw.

GenghisMike
09-05-2013, 10:37 PM
$2.00 a pack seems pretty reasonable already, also the VIP program will give you cheaper packs. Who knows how cheap packs will end up on the AH. I don't see the need for it but understand wanting one.

FeelNFine
09-06-2013, 01:11 AM
That sounds like an all-around terrible idea, in so many ways, in a TRADING card game, where literally everything else you pay real money for ever is completely tradeable, and in a game where low price-of-entry is a major draw.

Actually that would alleviate your concerns, and would be the only viable way for there to be a booster box (aside from platinum costing less per dollar the more of it you buy in bulk). It would prevent scalping, it would still be good for those who plan on drafting regularly, it would encourage more pack opening over hoarding (since if you do want to trade it, you have to open it), and in general would make people feel like they have more options on how they achieve that low price of entry.

ossuary
09-06-2013, 04:38 AM
The price is already low. They are not going to offer a bulk discount. Get over it.

Mr.Funsocks
09-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Actually that would exacerbate your concerns, and would be a very inviable way for there to be a booster box (aside from platinum costing less per dollar the more of it you buy in bulk). It would discourage new players, it would be mandatory for those who plan on drafting regularly, it would in no way encourage more pack opening over hoarding (since if you do want to trade it, you have to open it but you'll still wait until special events/drafts), and in general would make people feel like they have fewer options on how they achieve that low price of entry as they're "required" to buy in at a high level.

Fixed it for you.

FeelNFine
09-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Ah, thanks, I must have made a typo in my rush, good catch.

Commoble
09-06-2013, 08:32 PM
I like the idea of getting a free chest when you buy 10 packs at once.

Stok3d
09-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Tell me if this doesn't sound like a Walmart commercial: "Hex doesn't need coupons or gimmicks to attract ppl into buying packs. At $2 for a 15 card pack by TCG standards, Hex is already providing low everyday prices." :)

I personally don't think box/bulk discount is necessary at all.

Shrennan
09-06-2013, 09:29 PM
I personally don't think box/bulk discount is necessary at all.

It's not necessary at all. It's actually detrimental. We want CZE to profit off this game, because that means we will have security in Hex's future. A bulk/discount option would mean that CZE would not make much money on the main source of revenue for this game: packs. Not to mention that there's already the VIP program that will allow for $1.00 packs (well, four $1.00 packs per month anyway). This game is honestly one of the best examples of a company putting fans first over the monetization system.

majin
09-07-2013, 12:17 PM
i also believe this isn't necessary but for someone like me who is usually on a tight budget, getting free stuffs like free chest when you buy in bulk is always a nice thing :P

the pricing is already great and a free chest on each booster pack is a great bonus. i guess there are always those who like to stretch their funds the best way they can ^___^

Kami
09-07-2013, 12:28 PM
i also believe this isn't necessary but for someone like me who is usually on a tight budget, getting free stuffs like free chest when you buy in bulk is always a nice thing :P

In general (i.e. not personally directed at you), if you're on a tight budget and spending money on entertainment/recreation as opposed to saving for necessities, you need to sort out your priorities. Especially when a pack costs $2, or $1 @ $4/month subscription and you find that difficult to pay for (it costs less than one or two meals at most for food!).

Considering that the cost of Hex is already minimal, I don't think added discounts are necessary and would actually hurt the game. In fact, it would end up turning into a rich get richer and poor get poorer scenario since only those with existing capital could buy in bulk.

There's already a chance for a Primal Pack and guaranteed Treasure Chest for each pack. What more incentive do you need?

I appreciate the forethought but this is a situation where bulk options wouldn't make sense. Bulk options existed for physical TCGs solely for store owners to purchase discounted packs and resell them at MSRP individually for a small amount of profit. It's not needed in a digital TCG when there are no stores other than CZE's.

Rieper
09-07-2013, 12:54 PM
In general (i.e. not personally directed at you), if you're on a tight budget and spending money on entertainment/recreation as opposed to saving for necessities, you need to sort out your priorities. Especially when a pack costs $2, or $1 @ $4/month subscription and you find that difficult to pay for (it costs less than one or two meals at most for food!).

I hate when people write this comment. Just wrong and should never be said. Often when people talk tight budget and gaming, they are talking about their budget for gaming/entertaiment and nothing else. When people know they on tight budget they are more likely already understand when not to use money.

Now this was just a personal thing. Mostly because it is rude and most people for some reason only see budget as "overall budget", instead of entertaiment budget, which alot of older gamers start to have.

Anybody with low entertaiment budget(Being it money or because your wife/parent says it), will always prefer saving up and buying bulk with cheaper prize or for added bonuses. As someone that often had small gaming budget now and then, i can understand why people want bulk buys, i wouldnīt mind it.

Kami
09-07-2013, 01:06 PM
I hate when people write this comment. Just wrong and should never be said. Often when people talk tight budget and gaming, they are talking about their budget for gaming/entertaiment and nothing else. When people know they on tight budget they are more likely already understand when not to use money.

Now this was just a personal thing. Mostly because it is rude and most people for some reason only see budget as "overall budget", instead of entertaiment budget, which alot of older gamers start to have.

Anybody with low entertaiment budget(Being it money or because your wife/parent says it), will always prefer saving up and buying bulk with cheaper prize or for added bonuses. As someone that often had small gaming budget now and then, i can understand why people want bulk buys, i wouldnīt mind it.

Granted, you have a different perspective than I do on budget but if, from your example, your 'gaming/entertainment' budget can't afford boosters of $2 or $1 @ $4 per month, you still have an issue. I could understand if you were buying a game for $60 or a console for $300 but not in this case.

Even 30 boosters would net you 900(!) cards and at full price would be $60 - the average price of a video game these days. I believe that's fair.

Rieper
09-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Anyway when you have a low budget you try to get maximum out of it. Always been like that, and cheaper bulk buys actually gets more people to spend money and time on game overall.
There is a reason some people bought magic in bulks and then just drafted all packs away. Because now they could go buy a big pack together and have amazing weekend of drafting. And i do not agree on crypto losing money from boosters box, often seen stuff like that increasing overall revenue on stuff, because buying 1 booster at time for people is boring, since wonīt change much for you decks or be enough for tournement types. The booster box gives you tons of booster, it just feels better and you get options. Donīt even need a big bonus for this to work, could be anything from a merch, AA card or so on. This way people on low budget feel even better when they buy boosters(Important feeling to keep people buying!).

Also agree hex price is already good and cheap, and i am very glad they one few companies that understood. Price for digital version of stuff should be cheaper since alot of physical stuff goes ("BLEEP" all gaming companies selling digital download at same price as physical versions! :@).

In end it is the feeling you get from buying stuff, and booster box with some kinda added bonus, just helps give that feeling.

US and they cheap game prices! A new game is around 90$ here. Not worried though, already set myself a budget for hex. Enough each month to cover a booster box(36 boosters) of every new set and some more on top.

jetah
09-07-2013, 05:16 PM
So I can understand Crypto wanting to sell in bulk. This is assuming that each sale is tied to a credit card/paypal where there is a fee per transaction. Do you want your customers buy 200 2$ packs or 375$ for 200 packs? Most MMO's offer bulk discounts with their sub. This doesn't cost the developer any more but does save on the number of transactions thus reducing the fee given to the merchant account.

I'm not sure what type of merchant account contract Crypto has. I can only speculate they have a set fee for transactions below a certain amount and percents above that amount.

As for the supply/demand. I speculate that supply will be very high the first week, maybe two. As the word gets out about how great this game is, more people will try it out. We have too many KS people with plenty of packs to open or horde. I suspect that some of those packs will be put on AH.

Also remember that people are stupid when it comes to game AH's. Some people will see an packs listed for 1.99 and will undercut it, either by .01 or by .25 or more.

[edit]
forgot to mention that Crypto could produce a GTC for their game. You head to *store* buy 15 packs. Head to HEX website, enter codes. The cards could vary in cost to reflect a discount.

zadies
09-07-2013, 08:07 PM
There is no reason for a bulk discount on packs.

Bulk discounts on physical goods due to there being a middleman/reseller that needs to make a profit.

Jetah your example applies to plat purchases you don't buy boosters directly so there are no cc fees associated with them directly.

Shrennan
09-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Also, you can easily buy the amount of packs a normal booster box of, say, Magic would contain and the price would still be cheaper than an actual Magic booster box.

I think the best compromise would be that Crypto could offer booster boxes that would contain the amount of packs a normal booster box would contain but it shouldn't be at a discounted bulk price. Instead, it could contain a special opening sequence for opening the box and then the packs. They could also maybe add a section of the various boxes that you bought of the different sets - maybe badges or something.

Lafoote
09-08-2013, 08:58 AM
The price is already low. They are not going to offer a bulk discount. Get over it.

I seem to have missed that announcement.

People are stating a lot of opinions as facts. While I like the idea of a box promotion, I am by no means making an argument that it will, or will not be necessary. There is an endless number of incentives that could be offered in lieu of discounts, if they are actually as disasterous as a handful of people adamantly claim. Mercs, alternate art, chests, early PVE content unlocks, etc. could all be fun to receive, and fuel MORE sales.

zadies
09-08-2013, 09:36 AM
It become a give and take giving a bulk discount may in fact drive the number of purchased boosters up but actually maintain or even decrease net profits.

The_Wine_Gnat
09-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I for one would be happy to see them offer special holiday promotions. Maybe a discount for cards during the holiday or even adding an extra chest to each pack for a limited time.

ossuary
09-08-2013, 12:11 PM
I seem to have missed that announcement.

It was brought up during one of the Q&A sessions, and they said they had no plans to offer a discount (the price was already set at the point they want it at overall).

majin
09-08-2013, 10:42 PM
It was brought up during one of the Q&A sessions, and they said they had no plans to offer a discount (the price was already set at the point they want it at overall).

thanks. i was acually about to PM you for the source :P

Unhurtable
09-09-2013, 02:40 AM
What they could do on the other hand is maybe give something else as a bonus for buying in bulk? Something that maybe wouldn't affect the price range of a normal booster?

ossuary
09-09-2013, 04:55 AM
What they could do on the other hand is maybe give something else as a bonus for buying in bulk? Something that maybe wouldn't affect the price range of a normal booster?

You mean like a bonus chest with purchase of X packs, which I already suggested in this thread, and a few months ago the last time one of these threads popped up? ;)