PDA

View Full Version : House Rules

Kami
09-04-2013, 06:25 AM
I'll admit this is somewhat similar in spirit to aspects of custom tournaments, cubes, etc. but I think that this would benefit the game in the long-term if they can pull this off. This is one of the major things that sets Digital TCGs apart from Physical TCGs. I remember when I was younger, a group of friends would play MTG and, just for fun, we'd set House Rules to change aspects of the gameplay.

The idea is to enable House Rules. This is different from having more game modes as this enables the creator to set the rules (within limits). For example, starting with a hand of five instead of seven. Perhaps forcing a draw of two cards per turn instead of one. Maybe even starting with 100hp instead of 20hp. Or maybe some insane combination of those... and more. Additionally, as certain House Rules become popularized, CZE can turn it into an official game mode.

Since the framework for the game system already exists, I don't imagine it would be terribly difficult to turn aspects of it into a 'sandbox' mode. Allow a custom rules set with certain flags available for modification.

For example:

- Starting Life
- Time Limit (various modes: Hourglass, Increment/Delay, "Gong", etc.)
- Starting Hand Size
- Hand Size Minimum/Maximum
- Deck Size Minimum/Maximum
- Card Draw per Turn
- Starting Resources
- Library Recycle (i.e. when your library empties, you shuffle back your graveyard)
- Minimum/Maximum Troops/Actions/etc in Deck
- Minimum/Maximum Card Cost
- Minimum/Maximum Troop 'Size'
- Custom Card Ban List
- Highlander
- Prismatic
- Pauper
- No Champion/Mercenary Abilities
- and more...!

There are a large number of possibilities. If CZE implements this somehow, they will literally be the only commercial Digital TCG company to do this (that I'm aware of) and I believe it would revolutionize the DTCG genre. It would bring extraordinary value to cards that may seem useless in regular play but very fun in casual.

Of course, this may just be a pipe-dream but wouldn't you want to be able to really play with the cards you 'own'?

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-04-2013, 06:44 AM
As long as it's not too difficult for them to code and doesn't take get prioritized before more important features, I can't think of a reason for them not to do this. It let's people play exactly how they might IRL, and can lead to wacky, fun casual times.

While not exactly the same thing, the best experience I've had with Super Smash Bros was a 99 life, no time limit match at Hyrule Temple. While the only thing abnormal about the game was the amount of lives, having that option certainly made it memorable and enjoyable.

Kilo24
09-04-2013, 06:52 AM
I quite like the idea. Furthermore, I'd like to see other rule tweaks eventually involved, like having players start with a specific card in play, allowing different sets of rules for different players (perhaps creating a raid-like situation), and allowing teams. And to be able to save that set of rules as a named loadout.

BossHoss
09-04-2013, 07:02 AM
I like the idea. It is like the options you get in Halo, CoD etc. Being able to adjust timers, kill limits...

Anything that keeps creating an even larger sandbox is great imo

dogmod
09-04-2013, 08:57 AM
I can't wait for these options to be combined with custom tournaments. Would be great to setup a tournament for everyone using your favorite mode and posting up some sweet prizes.

felmare
09-04-2013, 10:05 AM
let other people do what they may with different game modes but i cant say i would ever use them because none of my friends will be playing this with me. I think the only time i would put this to use would be with an extremely tight knit group of friends or if they made it a legit tournament based play style.

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-04-2013, 10:08 AM
I don't think it'd be something just RL friends would use. Imagine you're hanging out in your guild chat one day, and someone says "who wants to play a funky house rules 4 player FFA?". Bingo, you're in, and you get to use the system.

Depending on how they do casual games, it could be even easier - I'm thinking if there's a lobby set up with a list of the currently open games, selecting a game could tell you what abnormal rules they have selected. If you're happy with that, you join the game.

ossuary
09-04-2013, 10:13 AM
This could be fun. I'd like to see it, once they have spare development time to put together the various options to toggle when creating casual games, guild tournaments, etc.

Nari
09-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Seems like that would be a great function to implement in guilds, where people are usually friendly enough with each other to get away with using ridiculous rules without it breaking out in an argument.

Yoss
09-04-2013, 01:43 PM
(only read the OP)

Nice idea, and I'd add that CZE gets some free development brainstorming out of it. Remember that EDH was a fan-made house ruleset that became popular enough to get official recognition. The same thing could happen here.

Gorgol
09-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Love the idea, a lot. Definitely something that should eventually make it in.

Vibraxus
09-04-2013, 02:21 PM
I really really like this idea. We have done many different house rule junk and it was loads of fun.

Yoss
09-04-2013, 02:44 PM
More ideas:
Variant mulligan rules:
a. Free mulligan if shards drawn is more than 1-sigma away from the mean distribution.
b. Second mulligan is free (7-6-6-5-4-3-2-1).
c. Put two cards back in deck, fetch a shard. Shuffle.

and so on...

FeelNFine
09-04-2013, 11:43 PM
This is something I am really banking on them doing, as A) they said they want to incourage creative game modes, and B) it would be more profitable for them since it breaks up the all or nothing mentality (Aka just getting 10 packs won't let me be competitive so why bother paying unless I'm going all the way?)

Kami
09-05-2013, 12:54 PM
I really really like this idea. We have done many different house rule junk and it was loads of fun.

I think the craziest 'custom' game I've had in MTG was a four-way FFA where you could play any card in an opponent's hand on your turn and every turn, everyone shuffles their hand into the library and draws seven new cards. Ideally, you would want to use up as many cards on your turn as possible or at least play the ones you don't want your opponents to use. :)

MoikPEI
09-05-2013, 01:08 PM
I like this.
Wouldn't mind to see it come out within a year of the full game's release.

I would definitely start custom matches for the old Inquest style Ironman Magic.
- Deck must contain a minimum of 1 copy of all cards in print which are not excluded by these rules.
- Deck may contain a maximum of 1 copy of any card.
- Cards which create a new win/loss conditions are excluded.
- Cards which create copies of themselves are excluded.
- Cards which allow searching the deck are excluded.
- Player Life begins at 100.

funktion
09-05-2013, 01:08 PM
This is actually one of the bigger things for me. I've been trying to figure how to word it best but then you came along and made this post! Being able to implement your own ruleset etc would definitely add a lot to the game.

GenghisMike
09-05-2013, 10:44 PM
That's a great idea, I hope it gets implemented at some point. To have some many options would really help keep games from getting stale.

ExperThies
09-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Great Idea! I would also appreciate the ability to RFG one card a turn instead of playing a resource to gain a temporary resource as a house rule option.

Kami
09-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Great Idea! I would also appreciate the ability to RFG one card a turn instead of playing a resource to gain a temporary resource as a house rule option.

What's RFG? ^^;

Gwaer
09-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Removed from game.

Yoss
09-11-2013, 10:01 AM
I like this.
Wouldn't mind to see it come out within a year of the full game's release.

I would definitely start custom matches for the old Inquest style Ironman Magic.
- Deck must contain a minimum of 1 copy of all cards in print which are not excluded by these rules.
- Deck may contain a maximum of 1 copy of any card.
- Cards which create a new win/loss conditions are excluded.
- Cards which create copies of themselves are excluded.
- Cards which allow searching the deck are excluded.
- Player Life begins at 100.
What if a player does not own a copy of every card? Does the game just give you a phantom copy?

Kami
09-11-2013, 10:08 AM
What if a player does not own a copy of every card? Does the game just give you a phantom copy?

I think you're overthinking this. The rules would apply to cards you own.

Example 'Maximum one of any card' in a deck would be applicable to cards you own and the deck you're able to build.

Yoss
09-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I think you're overthinking this. The rules would apply to cards you own.

Example 'Maximum one of any card' in a deck would be applicable to cards you own and the deck you're able to build.
Then I can have an account where the only cards I "own" are the cards I want in my auto-win Ironman deck?

I'm just pointing out the potential holes in the rules. This sounds like a very cool game mode, but if you have to rely on your opponent being nice and not exploiting the rules, then it's not the best set of rules. The rules should prevent exploits, even in casual play.

Zophie
09-12-2013, 03:08 PM
I like this idea, it'd be neat if my friends could replicate our "Glittering Prizes" house rule we use when playing WoWTCG or MTG:

- Draw 2 cards per turn instead of one
- No hand limit
- Get a free resource/colorless mana ("freesource") every turn in addition to the one you play normally

LNQ
09-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Would be nice if guilds could save (and name) house rules and set up in-guild tournaments / ladders with them.