PDA

View Full Version : Card Graphical Design

arcar
09-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Hello everyone,

I've only recently discovered Hex (actually through another online TCG forum) and i've just pledged to the Slacker Backer. (I wish i saw this before on KS, but anyway).

Hex seems to have fantastic features and new ideas (i really like the double back system for instance) but i would like to ask / discuss about the card design /visual (sorry if another thread exist on this topic, if yes i didn't found it).

Personaly, i'm am not convinced by the look of the cards. I'm not talking about the illustrations here, but really the overall card design, and in particular the white font (really basic "non-fantasy" font) on a black background, everything surrended by highly constrated colors. Obviously it's not something that will prevent me from playing the game (i will get use to it), but my first impression when i discovered the cards was : "Ouch, that's not beautiful".

I am the only one thinking this way ? Do we know if this will be the final visual

(sorry for my english, i'm not a natural speaker)

BossHoss
09-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Welcome to Hex!

This will most likely be the final visual representation of the cards. Everyone has their own opinion on styles of course as I think it looks amazing.

The one point I make for loving the black background is staring at a set of cards for an extended period of time on a computer screen is much easier on the eyes than if the colors were inverted... and I am pretty sure I will be staring at the screen for a long time

dogmod
09-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Welcome on board ;). I think that you have valid points about the font and graphical style and I hope they are constantly trying to improve them. I for one am pleased and agree with Boss Hoss that the current style fits me just fine but I don't see why they couldn't have a couple sets of styles that would display locally on your machine. There is something to be said for uniformity so that everyone is seeing the same thing but for people like you this might be a great option.

Looking forward to some games with you :)

keldrin
09-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Welcome on board ;). I think that you have valid points about the font and graphical style and I hope they are constantly trying to improve them. I for one am pleased and agree with Boss Hoss that the current style fits me just fine but I don't see why they couldn't have a couple sets of styles that would display locally on your machine. There is something to be said for uniformity so that everyone is seeing the same thing but for people like you this might be a great option.

Looking forward to some games with you :)

I like that point. the white area of the cards and the lettering, could maybe get setup to be changed on your machine. Then you would have default, and your personal preferance.
Of course, you may find some cards look better with different color combinations. And I doubt that would be setable on a per card basis.

Barov
09-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Keep in mind card text shows up green if it has been altered on the card. A bright emerald green is easier to see on a black background.

FeelNFine
09-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Yeah, the borders aren't the prettiest thing, but hey, you can unlock full art version of the cards, so I'll just focus on doing that for all of them as quickly as I can!

HyenaNipples
09-05-2013, 12:20 AM
I think a border with weight is rather important as it gives the cards a uniform feel. I can't quite describe it, but I feel a strange, latent aversion to card games with overblown templates. It makes the card feel busy and thus the game feels sloppy and unfocused. This almost immediately turned me off of both SolForge and Infinity Wars, and forcing myself to play didn't relieve it. In contrast, Might and Magic's Duels of Champions succeeded in creating an excellent card template without directly imitating Magic (They put their info on the sides rather than the top :rolleyes: )

arcar
09-05-2013, 02:57 AM
Thanks for your welcome! I'm happy to see that the community seems open minded to discussion (i admit i tested a negative comment to see what will happen, that's some kind of strategy too ^^)

Obviouly graphical design is highly subjective, and i'm sure it will look better once in game than on screenshoots. But i really like the idea of dogmod of custom style on the software client. That would be a nice feature for the future.

Time for me to look for a guild, i think i will stay a long time on Hex