PDA

View Full Version : One-Player-One-Account: Faction-specific Guilds? Multiple Keeps? Conflicting updates

Yoss
09-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Follow up to this thread:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27347

In addition to the OP, here are two key quotes:

I think the big news here is with guild membership and finally confirmation that you will be able to have both factions in one account (original intent was one). Limiting guilds to a faction but not raids is interesting - so you can cross faction raid but not organise it within guild. And it means that those of us that were speculating that your guild membership was an account level choice were wrong. So I guess the last remaining question is whether individual characters will be members of guilds or if it will be a keep affiliation.

Are the guild masters all prepared to state the faction affiliation for their guilds in the recruitment forums? I would imagine some people will be looking for a new home now. I would guess that some guilds will have an Ardent and Underworld guild for members, although that can cause problems. One interesting question then is whether it will be possible to create a custom cross faction chat channel for linked cross faction guilds.

<relevant extracts from OP>

There WILL be Cross-Faction co-op in raids. Guilds will be limited to Ardent/Underworld, but raid groups can be mixed.

The Top-Level of the account is your Keep. Your Keep houses all your champions & mercenaries, and all have access to your entire card collection.

Players can have Keeps for both the Ardent & Underworld.

Ok what we know so far;

Guilds in general;

hex has big plans for guilds like guild vs guild tournaments, guild banks, guild rankings, guild chat etc..More on guilds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUn3gOclMc check 0:22:25 and also https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ign-mpt=uo%3D4 episode 54 check 0:38.25

We’ll be able to gather the same information we always did before without having to commit to trading and buy the cards we need until we have made our final deck choices. Probably one of the greatest benefits is a huge one: we won’t have to physically sort cards anymore! Also, in this digital world and MMO platform, we will have new benefits as a Guild in achievements that the developers will set up in the future. Some rewards will be in obvious forms like cards, both promotional and sought after and in game gold. But there’s also something else I’m really excited about; after major tournaments, some guilds will get access to the top 8 decks to add to their testing gauntlet. You won’t have these decks or cards to use outside of your guild, but you’ll always have them to test against or look back to for future deck inspiration.
And don’t forget about the rivalries! I’m sure there will be reputations to build up both digital and grapevine-based. Tournaments will be the battlegrounds on which these guilds will clash and the world will be watching. Talking with the Cryptozoic guys, they hope to someday have a full on eSports kind of vibe with fans watching from home with full commentary to help give character to the action.
(http://hextcg.com/the-guild-experience/)

Guild bank

3) Guild Bank = Yes, not sure if there will be a common pool to access, but there will be common decks. Let me explain:

Guildies will be able to create decks and put them into the guild bank (I believe there are a limited number of slots). Any guild member will then be able to "check them out" and play them against other guild members (can't play them against non-guild members or in tournaments). Think of this like a "gauntlet" where you put all the best decks in the current format in there, then you and your guildies test out all your decks against the guild decks to see if your strategies are working. We want to make sure deck testing is easy and intuitive for you.

You won't be able to trade the cards in these decks, and the original owner can check them back out for good or just to modify them. Also, only one person can have one of these checked in decks in a game at a time.

Lastly, we are also thinking of some way for guilds to gain the ability to have the top decks of major tournaments populated into their deck repository to play against.

Guilds and factions

You can run both factions into one account, and you can interact normally with opposite races; form guilds and raid together. The difference will be some faction specific quests and dungeons (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:25:25 to 0:26:44)

The only dungeon (we know of) that will force you to choose and the choice will be account bound is the arena. there will be 2 pair of enemies battling out that will be rotating on a yearly basis, and once you choose to ally with one, you can't get the card associated with the other (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ign-mpt=uo%3D4, episode 54 check 0:30:15)

As for faction specific quests, these will be champion bound, meaning that you will be able to complete all faction specific quests in one account (http://hextcg.com/exclamation-points...uestion-marks/)

You can use all the cards in your collection; there will be one master account and despite the race you will be using all the cards will be available to you (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 25:25)

"•Guilds will be limited to Ardent/Underworld, but raid groups can be mixed."
Wait, what? Do I have to join another guild if I want the other faction? With the statements below, it sounds like we can have multiple Keeps/Factions per account. Does that mean that an account can join multple guilds? This is very confusing to me.

"•Story-Progress is saved by Faction, not Class. You can change your class during the story, and then pick it right back up where you left it."
"•Players can have Keeps for both the Ardent & Underworld."
What do you mean "by Faction"? Wouldn't it be "by Keep"? If I want to go re-play a given story arc with different choices, will I be forced to multi-account? The second bullet is ambiguous; does "Keeps" mean I can have exactly two (one of each) or some larger number? (I hope the latter, and each Keep is independent for all story choices and progress.) Also, in the second-to-last link in ShadowElf's post, there is a directly contradictory statement that things will be tied to Champions, not Keeps or Accounts. So confused!

Will they be encouraging multi-accounting, contrary to the One Player, One Account (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26401) idea, or are they actually saying the opposite and intending to support a one player one account policy?

EDIT:
Oh, and here's another thing that might encourage more than one account:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26990

Mr.Funsocks
09-04-2013, 02:58 PM
This was highly unnecessary. One player, one account, you can do everything on that account. They haven't figure out exactly how it'll work, anything they say that seems to contradict that is likely due to iterations/confusion by the devs themselves.

Quasari
09-04-2013, 03:06 PM
The one player one account thing was towards accounts working with all platforms the game is available on.

They have stated that they wanted you to create as many characters as you want. They also stated that they wanted choices to be permanent and that originally they wanted you to only have one faction so that faction specific cards didn't carry over. Now it looks like they are going with a two keep system where the keep lord is really who you are. That way they can keep faction specific stuff separate and lore wise it works better. We discussed this exact idea in the one player one account thread you linked.

Shadowelf
09-04-2013, 03:33 PM
"•Guilds will be limited to Ardent/Underworld, but raid groups can be mixed."
Wait, what? Do I have to join another guild if I want the other faction? With the statements below, it sounds like we can have multiple Keeps/Factions per account. Does that mean that an account can join multple guilds? This is very confusing to me.

"•Story-Progress is saved by Faction, not Class. You can change your class during the story, and then pick it right back up where you left it."
"•Players can have Keeps for both the Ardent & Underworld."
What do you mean "by Faction"? Wouldn't it be "by Keep"? If I want to go re-play a given story arc with different choices, will I be forced to multi-account? The second bullet is ambiguous; does "Keeps" mean I can have exactly two (one of each) or some larger number? (I hope the latter, and each Keep is independent for all story choices and progress.) Also, in the second-to-last link in ShadowElf's post, there is a directly contradictory statement that things will be tied to Champions, not Keeps or Accounts. So confused!

Will they be encouraging multi-accounting, contrary to the One Player, One Account (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26401) idea, or are they actually saying the opposite and intending to support a one player one account policy?

Really the answer was given to the the part of my post about guilds and factions. You can have both ardent and underworld champions in the same account. You can form guilds limited to underworld or ardent or form mixed guilds. If you want to help a buddy to a faction specific quest or dungeon(ardent for example), you have to log in with your ardent champion. Raids won't be faction specific, so you can you use both factions to raid with. Both keeps will share the same collection of cards (your account's collection). They haven't said how they intend the 2 keeps to work. It is possible that you will only be able to attack ardent keeps with your underworld champion and vice versa.

As for champions you can choose to ally with a faction with one character, then login with another and ally with the opposite faction. This way you can collect all faction specific rewards

Sources :

http://hextcg.com/exclamation-points-and-question-marks/ (faction specific quests being champion bound)
http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:25:45 to 0:28:00 (champion's for both sides, 2 keeps, everything played in one account)
http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ (faction's interaction 0:33:00, 2 keeps 0:35:28)

CodexReaper
09-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Valid concerns, Yoss - let me address them as best I can.

Do I have to join another guild if I want to join the other faction? Based on what was said at Dragon*Con, that seems to be the present indication. Anyone is free to listen to the file on HexVault (the statement in question is a bit after the 30:00 mark). It's not contradictory, it's simply what we've heard from CZE. Now, we may have misunderstood what was said, and we certainly don't have the full picture on the subject, but that's the honest conclusion that we've come to with the information we have thus far.

It sounds like we can have multiple Keeps/Factions per account? Can a single account join multiple guilds? Yes on both counts, as is standard with any MMO. (From a PvE standpoint, anyway - it's currently rather confusing when you factor in the workability on the PvP side) Players will not be relegated to one faction per account. But you won't have more than one Keep for the Ardent/Underworld. (So, perhaps I should specify my original point: players can have one Keep for each Faction. Better?) Keeps serve as the Top-Level of the account, meaning that all your Champions, Cards, & Mercenaries are stored there with respect to their own Faction. For example, Mercenaries & Neutral Cards will likely be available for use in both your Underworld & Ardent Keeps, while your U/A Champions & Cards will be available to use within their affiliated Keep.

What do you mean "by Faction"? Wouldn't it be "by Keep"? Nope. It was definitely specified that story progression was "by Faction." And, to be honest, since you'll only have one Keep per side, that comparison really doesn't do that much. Even if it was technically "by Keep", it would be saved in exactly the same way.

If I want to go re-play a given story arc with different choices, will I be forced to multi-account? As things have presently been explained, that indeed seems to be the case. But there's no reason to believe that a) CZE has already thought of that problem & is working on a solution that we don't know about, and b) even if they haven't, they have plenty of time to get player feedback on that very point & implement a response.

Shadowelf's Article? I'd have to go back & look at the article itself (currently not on the homepage) - but if indeed it says that quests will be individually "Champion-Bound" and not tied into the entire Faction, then that would be a question for CZE, because it was definitely specified in the D*C PvE Panel that it was NOT tied into individual Champions.

And finally, as regards the question of Daily Rewards - look, let's be honest. Any game that grants players goodies on a specified timetable inherently leaves the door open for players to use multiple accounts to maximize their rewards. The only way to prevent such a thing from happening is by preventing all forms of trading (which is something we DON'T want in Hex), and in truth, unless it involves a game-breaking exploit, where's the harm in it?

Shadowelf
09-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Shadowelf's Article? I'd have to go back & look at the article itself (currently not on the homepage) - but if indeed it says that quests will be individually "Champion-Bound" and not tied into the entire Faction, then that would be a question for CZE, because it was definitely specified in the D*C PvE Panel that it was NOT tied into individual Champions.
[/LIST]

It's not my article it was Michael Kirchhoff's. Here is the quote;

In your adventures, you will encounter a number of organizations that are willing to enter into a mutually beneficial business relationship. For example, The Void Society are a neutral group of merchants who offer specific quests in exchange for highly lucrative rewards.
Then there are the Hired Horns, a band of mercenary minotaurs, and The Ashen, a network of gargoyle spies. At one point in your journeys, you will be offered the chance to join one of these organizations. But do not make your choice lightly, because the two groups are despised enemies, and once you join one, you can never gain reputation with the other on the same character.
The most exciting part about earning an illustrious reputation with these organizations is that your success in helping them with their agendas will allow you to score unique PVE cards that you cannot get anywhere else in the game!

Source http://hextcg.com/exclamation-points-and-question-marks/

CodexReaper
09-04-2013, 03:51 PM
It's not my article it was Michael Kirchhoff's. Here is the quote;

In your adventures, you will encounter a number of organizations that are willing to enter into a mutually beneficial business relationship. For example, The Void Society are a neutral group of merchants who offer specific quests in exchange for highly lucrative rewards.
Then there are the Hired Horns, a band of mercenary minotaurs, and The Ashen, a network of gargoyle spies. At one point in your journeys, you will be offered the chance to join one of these organizations. But do not make your choice lightly, because the two groups are despised enemies, and once you join one, you can never gain reputation with the other on the same character.
The most exciting part about earning an illustrious reputation with these organizations is that your success in helping them with their agendas will allow you to score unique PVE cards that you cannot get anywhere else in the game!

Source http://hextcg.com/exclamation-points-and-question-marks/

VERY interesting...the way that's worded, it would indeed imply that there is Character-by-Character question progression, and not simply tied into the overall Faction. Huh. Welp, that will definitely need clarification, then. Good catch, Shadow.

zadies
09-04-2013, 03:55 PM
They have stayed there are multiple routes through the dougeons and going through once doesn't lock you into taking the same path a for a majority of them there was some confusion about squrrles vs Dino's from what was said but the other dungeons also can have built in random elements see the windego one so it wouldn't make sense to lock those decisions in but story arc decisions are being locked so if you choose something at the end to spare or kill a boss of the dungeon that has interactions beyd the scope of that instance those are perminate.

ossuary
09-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Yoss, do you realize how confrontational your thread titles are? I'm genuinely curious if you're aware of it.

CoS
09-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Yoss, do you realize how confrontational your thread titles are? I'm genuinely curious if you're aware of it.

I have noticed this as well. However, in his defense his topics are always cogent and well organized. This particular one has the potential to divide established guilds, and could have been phrased a but more diplomatically.

Mr.Funsocks
09-04-2013, 08:16 PM
I have noticed this as well. However, in his defense his topics are always cogent and well organized. This particular one has the potential to divide established guilds, and could have been phrased a but more diplomatically.

I wouldn't say that...

I might say "way too wordy and muddled" though.

Yoss
09-05-2013, 10:21 AM
VERY interesting...the way that's worded, it would indeed imply that there is Character-by-Character question progression, and not simply tied into the overall Faction. Huh. Welp, that will definitely need clarification, then. Good catch, Shadow.
Yeah, it conflicts, like I said in the thread title. :/

Hopefully this will make it on the next Q&A or weekly update to clarify.

S117
09-05-2013, 01:45 PM
I will throw in my desire for clarification too...

I really want to be able to experience both sides of Hex and don't really see the need to cut a lot of guilds down the middle...

zadies
09-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Only game I can think of with a cross faction guild system didn't even have it in at launch most MMOs so cut guilds along faction lines.