PDA

View Full Version : Sealed Deck Mode - An Anecdote

Icepick
09-05-2013, 10:10 AM
So last night I decided to fire up Magic 2014 and try a quick match in Sealed Deck mode. For those that don't know, Sealed Deck mode gives you 6 boosters, and an additional 3 boosters by defeating AI opponents. The cards from those boosters become your sealed pool, and you use those cards to make a deck. The idea is that everyone has the same number of boosters as their card pool, so it's more or less equal footing for everyone.
Anyway, I played 2 games against some random quick match guy using a White/Green deck. It was the first time I tried it out vs actual humans and the first time I'd played Magic against another human in years, so I didn't expect to do very well, and in the first match I didn't. I got utterly stomped into the ground by my opponent's White/Red/Green deck. He consistently had the perfect answers to every card I played, and the turn before I was about to turn the tables he finished me off with an Earthquake (X damage for X Mana.)
In the second match, he used a different deck (Black and Green, I think it was) and things went a lot differently. I got much better draws and was able to stall him out using my White cards until I was able to play the giant green monsters I needed to flatten him. I ultimately managed a 6/6 Protean Hydra (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=205112) which quickly got buffed to 10/10, shortly followed by Overwhelming Stampede (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=overwhelming%20stampede) and completely crushed him. It was incredibly satisfying after that first game.

So, why am I telling you this little tale? Well, despite the flaws of Magic 2014's implementation, I think a mode like this would be great in Hex. You'd open 8 or 9 boosters and this would become your Sealed Deck pool (and obviously be added to your normal collection too), and using those cards you'd make a deck, which would be registered as your sealed deck. Then you'd simply be able to play other people using these sealed decks in the same way you would any other game mode.
I think this would be great, because it combines the relatively equal footing that everyone in a Draft has with the skill and long-term deck life that constructed has. I'm sure there are a few implementation issues that would need to be worked out (how many of these decks can you have at once, what's stopping a person making decks over and over until they get a perfect set of cards from their boosters etc etc.) and it will probably need a different name (I think regular sealed tournaments work a little differently to this, I saw some complaints of this nature against Magic 2014's implementation) but I think something along these lines would fit really well into Hex. I certainly had a lot of fun with it in Magic 2014.

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't know if they'd implement a "running sealed" mode like the one in Duels, where you end up getting 9 boosters and getting to play matches with your decks ad nauseum, but they'll surely be doing normal sealed tournaments (6 packs, 3+ matches) at various times. I don't know if they'll be on demand or just special events, but I'm certain they'll be there (though I'm not sure if they've actually said that, or if I'm just expecting them to implement it).

Aradon
09-05-2013, 10:37 AM
It sounds similar to the Leagues gameplay that I always hear MtG:O players pining over, which was apparently removed a long time ago and never re-implemented. The ability to open a pool of cards, and over time add more cards to it, while keeping a running total. Basically a longer version of the marathon tournaments Hex already mentioned. I'd be down with that. I've wanted to try it at my LGS, but a digital space is far more reliable, so it seems like a good opportunity.

HyenaNipples
09-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Yeah, that would be pretty fun!

MoikPEI
09-05-2013, 10:57 AM
I think this may be what the Pre-Release tournaments are intended to be.

http://hextcg.com/game/tournaments/

"Pre-release Tournaments

These tournaments will happen prior to the release of the new set. Players will be able to preview the cards via sealed tournaments with special prizes."

Westane
09-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Once in full block CHK sealed I opened a Kokusho, an Ink-Eyes and a Jitte and still went 1-3. Moral of my story is I don't play limited because f*** limited.

On topic, I really didn't like DotP's sealed campaign (In addition to all the other things I didn't like about DotP 2014) and really am not in favor of a "running" sealed format which, yes, is what MTGO players have been wanted (and have been promised) for nearly a decade now. That said, I am looking forward to swiss sealed events in Hex, which I can't imagine them NOT having.

Rieper
09-05-2013, 12:07 PM
This straight from hex homepage, more or less what you are asking for, difference is it has a time limit. Just need them to extend time limit for it(or removing it).

"Marathon Tournaments

This is like league play on steroids. Players will sign up for this sealed deck tournament and play as many games as they can within a 6 hour period. We’ll allow entries into the tournament at any time while it runs. As a catch up mechanic and to keep things interesting, we’ll let players buy an additional booster after each hour passes while the tournament runs.

We will track players’ total games and their number of wins. The win-loss differential is what we’ll use to track standings in real time. The tiebreaker is the total number of games played. After 6 hours the top 40% of players get prizes. There are 4 tiers for prizes: Top 1% of the players, 2%-5% of the players, 6%-15% of the players and 16%-40% of the players."

Lidralyn
09-05-2013, 01:32 PM
This straight from hex homepage, more or less what you are asking for, difference is it has a time limit. Just need them to extend time limit for it(or removing it).

"Marathon Tournaments

This is like league play on steroids. Players will sign up for this sealed deck tournament and play as many games as they can within a 6 hour period. We’ll allow entries into the tournament at any time while it runs. As a catch up mechanic and to keep things interesting, we’ll let players buy an additional booster after each hour passes while the tournament runs.

We will track players’ total games and their number of wins. The win-loss differential is what we’ll use to track standings in real time. The tiebreaker is the total number of games played. After 6 hours the top 40% of players get prizes. There are 4 tiers for prizes: Top 1% of the players, 2%-5% of the players, 6%-15% of the players and 16%-40% of the players."

What I am worried about with these tournaments is a player jumping in, winning 1 game and then just not playing anymore. that gives them a 100% win rate...sure the tie breakers would put them at the bottom of that list if someone else plays 4 games and loses...but they are still above anyone who had a single loss....that seems like a bad idea.

Otherwise, I love the idea of the Marathons. I do prefer the old leagues of MTGO tho when you only had 5 games a week that "counted" and the rest were all tie breakers, so you could play those games as you wanted, instead of worrying about getting up and using the bathroom wasting time in a 6 hour power session lol.

MoikPEI
09-05-2013, 01:44 PM
I think "win-loss differential" means like if you have 350 wins and 300 losses, you have a differential of 50. Someone who goes 1-0 has a differential of 1.

Icepick
09-05-2013, 03:11 PM

"Marathon Tournaments

Yeah that pretty much sounds right, except for the 6 hour time limit. Still, if the tech is there for it already, maybe they'll add in a similar mode with no time limit (or a much longer one - something like this could run for a month, for example.)

Shadowelf
09-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Yeah that pretty much sounds right, except for the 6 hour time limit. Still, if the tech is there for it already, maybe they'll add in a similar mode with no time limit (or a much longer one - something like this could run for a month, for example.)

From update #11

Leagues! Imagine an interface that allows you to custom craft your very own league. Pick and choose all the options of your league, what format, how long it will run, who can play in it, what the prizes will be. This simple and intuitive tool will allow you completely customize the league.

Source http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts?page=7

More on leagues https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-geek-allstars/id446568794?ign-mpt=uo%3D4 episode 54 0:42:35
More on leagues/custom made tourneys http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 1:06:44
More on marathon https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-geek-allstars/id446568794?ign-mpt=uo%3D4 epidode 54 0:41:13

ramseytheory
09-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I think it's also been confirmed that there's at least one PVE dungeon where you build your deck as you go.

Shadowelf
09-06-2013, 01:13 AM
I think it's also been confirmed that there's at least one PVE dungeon where you build your deck as you go.

Yeap here http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:12:48