PDA

View Full Version : Hex or Hearthstone help a newbie in need :)

Urimagination
09-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Hey guys just got my first taste of card games about 2 weeks ago. With Magic on pc.

Looking at getting into a more collectable card game where your rewarded etc.

Can you guys tell me some highlights of playing this and why i should join.

Whats your favorite thing about this game that other games don't have etc.

Thanks for your time :)

Deciphered
09-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Both of the games you've just mentioned will have free or super-cheap ways to try out, I'd suggest you try them both to see how you feel about them.

Hex will probably be very similar to your Magic experience, but faster, prettier, and with more depth in the gameplay, due to the advantages of the digital-only cards.

Hearthstone will probably also be gorgeous, but a bit simpler a game. And there's nothing wrong with that. It looks like something I might want to play if I just wanted a simple game to pass a few minutes. And of course, if you're a Warcraft fan, it might be neat that it is part of that universe.

I'm choosing Hex as the next game I really get into . . . after seeing the presentations they gave at DragonCon, I'm very impressed with what they are doing with the PvE portion of the game, and I have no doubt that the PvP side will be great, too. And of course, if you only want to play for a little bit in Hex, I understand that you'll be able to "pause" single-player dungeons and pick up with them where you left off later.

Urimagination
09-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks for that. What is the cut of date to donate so i can play?

As i understand no one has played yet or just the kickstarters are playing?

Also yeah im thinking i would enjoy this over Hearthstone as im enjoying Magic atm

Skirovik
09-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for that. What is the cut of date to donate so i can play?

As i understand no one has played yet or just the kickstarters are playing?

Also yeah im thinking i would enjoy this over Hearthstone as im enjoying Magic atm

So far there is no cut-off date for Slacker Backer. No-one is playing Hex just yet, however Slacker Backer gets you access to Alpha which will be at the end of September (yay it's September already! :D).

Urimagination
09-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Might jump on board towards that date :) and watch some videos in the mean time

Mr.Funsocks
09-05-2013, 08:20 PM
2 fundamental differences between Hex and Hearthstone, that give Hex faaar more depth (like above, HS may be fun, but more of just a little past time, not something you invest much thought in):

1) Hex is a TCG, HS is a CCG. You cannot trade cards in Hearthstone. While this seems minor, it means that Hex will have an entire economy to it, that helps govern the playability/usability of certain cards, especially at the lower levels. Obviously the guys trying to win world tournaments will spend 100$ to get the perfect card for their deck regardless.

2) Quick actions. Hearthstone has nothing you can play on your opponents' turn, or in reaction to something they do. You only get actions on your turn. This drastically reduces design space for strategic plays.

There are numerous other differences, but those are the significant ones I'd think. And yeah, only people who've played Hex outside of CZE's offices are those who got to play the demo at GenCon a few weeks back. I wouldn't wait too long on Slacker Backer, while there's no indication it'll happen (it would make sense to keep the option open) it's perfectly feasible alpha/beta might be a good date to end the promotion. It's not likely, but if it's something you're definitely interested in, go for it.

Xenavire
09-05-2013, 08:23 PM
2 fundamental differences between Hex and Hearthstone, that give Hex faaar more depth (like above, HS may be fun, but more of just a little past time, not something you invest much thought in):

1) Hex is a TCG, HS is a CCG. You cannot trade cards in Hearthstone. While this seems minor, it means that Hex will have an entire economy to it, that helps govern the playability/usability of certain cards, especially at the lower levels. Obviously the guys trying to win world tournaments will spend 100$ to get the perfect card for their deck regardless.

2) Quick actions. Hearthstone has nothing you can play on your opponents' turn, or in reaction to something they do. You only get actions on your turn. This drastically reduces design space for strategic plays.

There are numerous other differences, but those are the significant ones I'd think. And yeah, only people who've played Hex outside of CZE's offices are those who got to play the demo at GenCon a few weeks back. I wouldn't wait too long on Slacker Backer, while there's no indication it'll happen (it would make sense to keep the option open) it's perfectly feasible alpha/beta might be a good date to end the promotion. It's not likely, but if it's something you're definitely interested in, go for it.

I would like to add the resource system - dedicated cards in Hex vs the more automated Hearthstone version. May seem minor, but it adds to the learning curve.

Barov
09-05-2013, 10:10 PM
I am playing Hearthstone in beta and while the game is not overly deep, it does have more depth than I expected. The game is very fun though and a lot faster than most TCGs.

But I would not spend $250 on Hearthstone which is what I gave to Hex. This is because Hex has the depth of a full fledged TCG, using the digital space for card effects in unique and cool ways, and will have a fully implemented draft tournament system (which is what I miss the most since I stopped playing WoWTCG).

So the great fact is both games are free to play and different enough that it is worth it to get into both. The only decision you have to make in the mean time is if you want to do the Slacker Backer for alpha/beta access (and the packs you get make pretty much covers the cost)

RabbitHabbit
09-05-2013, 10:24 PM
I am playing Hearthstone in beta and while the game is not overly deep, it does have more depth than I expected. The game is very fun though and a lot faster than most TCGs.

But I would not spend $250 on Hearthstone which is what I gave to Hex. This is because Hex has the depth of a full fledged TCG, using the digital space for card effects in unique and cool ways, and will have a fully implemented draft tournament system (which is what I miss the most since I stopped playing WoWTCG).

So the great fact is both games are free to play and different enough that it is worth it to get into both. The only decision you have to make in the mean time is if you want to do the Slacker Backer for alpha/beta access (and the packs you get make pretty much covers the cost)

I'm playing the Hearthstone beta as well then I woke up :(

Deciphered
09-05-2013, 10:36 PM
a fully implemented draft tournament system

A very good point. I *love* drafting, and Hex looks like it will be a blast to draft.

Barov
09-05-2013, 11:02 PM
A very good point. I *love* drafting, and Hex looks like it will be a blast to draft.

I certainly hope so. Hearthstone has an arena system that is kinda a mix between sealed and draft. You are offered 3 random cards and choose one: repeat for a 30 card deck. The mode is nice as it is still a limited format so it avoids people just buying good decks, but it's not the same as drafting cards from other players.

keroko
09-05-2013, 11:19 PM
the cost per card in random pack for hearthstone is obscene.

CodexReaper
09-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Hey guys just got my first taste of card games about 2 weeks ago. With Magic on pc.

Looking at getting into a more collectable card game where your rewarded etc.

Can you guys tell me some highlights of playing this and why i should join.

Whats your favorite thing about this game that other games don't have etc.

Thanks for your time :)

I just got into the Hearthstone Beta, & I absolutely love it! It's fun, lighthearted, easy to grasp, and I honestly love the Warcraft universe - while I've all but dropped out of WoW this Fall, it's really fun for me to get my Warcraft fix via Hearthstone, and I definitely see myself playing it for a long time.

But, that said - I think Hex is going to absolutely rock the genre in a way HS can't match. HS is, for all intents & purposes, an extension of Warcraft - if you haven't played WoW, many of the fun, engaging nuances of the game will be lost on you. Hex, by comparison, is an entirely cohesive, stand-alone world with an original story & characters. It has a wide variety of serious PvP modes *in addition to* a fully-realized PvE campaign for two opposing factions. It has 50 Dungeons, & 10 3-player Raids, as well as various other related content. It adopts many facets of gameplay often found in MMO's (Classes, Gear, Levelling, RPG, etc) and combines them with a TCG in ways no one has dine before. I could go on & list more.

At the end of the day, both are great games. But Hex has far more depth & potential as a whole than HS, largely because each game has been created with different goals in mind, and Hex is much more ambitious than HS...and as things stand, it really seems like CZE is on track to turn it into an incredible payoff!

CodexReaper
09-05-2013, 11:30 PM
the cost per card in random pack for hearthstone is obscene.

Actually, that is about the only serious disappointment I have with the game. ~$2 for 5 cards. Ick. :/

keroko
09-06-2013, 12:23 AM
its obscene, its blizzard obscene.

see they figured out the rmt finally (fascinating interactions, I secretly suspect some of the shell corps in the US are operated / allowed operation as they have ties to staff)... you create a microtransaction engine and eliminate the middle man.

people become addicted and make silly decisions. such behaviors can be encouraged or their likelihood of expression prompted through psychological prods in game system design.

blizzard is exploiting such weaknesses of mind under the guise of providing entertainment.

I mean no disrespect, and their far from the only company involved, but these things are very much designed to syphon your income.

doing so in such a hard gouge manner a la hearthstone with astronomical cost per random pull card is not surprising to me in the least, but is disappointing.

casual consumers will wake up to this in 5-10, once they've gone through their initial rounds of it I'd imagine.

extraordinarily lucrative atm. who doesn't want a chance, a glimpse, or a slice of 'power' when its dangled in your face?

SeaOfInsanity
09-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Well I was going to chime in but I would merely be echoing what others have said.
I personally will play Hearthstone here and there for a bit of quick fun but Hex is where my interest lies because of the depth, lore and large amount of content.

Gulbech
09-06-2013, 05:02 AM
Yes HS have a high cost for each card, but I don't think that is the main problem with the cost of the game. It us more you can't trade with other players. so if you want a good deck, you have to open an insane amount of packs. Where in hex you will be able to buy the good, but not best cards, on the AH for a fair amount.

Deciphered
09-06-2013, 09:35 AM
see they figured out the rmt finally (fascinating interactions, I secretly suspect some of the shell corps in the US are operated / allowed operation as they have ties to staff)... you create a microtransaction engine and eliminate the middle man.

*puts on his tinfoil hat*

keroko
09-06-2013, 09:45 AM
^ hardly, look at SOE and the vox box, they just started directly selling gold. look at eve's plex and how wildstar's emulating it. Its RMT being done through official channels. Its good business sense.

however, the industry is closely associated with addicitive personality exploitation. This is not deniable.

there is fascinating research at the daedelus project I'd refer you to if you would like a good start source.

*my tinfoil hat has been reinforced by tens of thousands of dollars in RMT myself, and a whole lot of watching these people - kinda what I do*