PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Mozu Report, interview with Cory Jones

mozu
09-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Hey Hexers! In the very near future I'll be sitting down with the man himself to talk about Hex some more. I'll be looking for 2-3 of the 8 or some questions I ask to come from you guys, so... what do you want to know?

Thanks guys, looking forward to it!

Gwaer
09-05-2013, 09:38 PM
There's been some confusion over the guild system, will those of us with 100+ member guilds already need to pick a faction or have two seperate guilds for characters on each side? Can accounts join more than one guild in that case, and if so is it by character or by keep?

Or, "Why is gwaer your favorite forum poster?" That's always a great question.

OmegaStorm
09-05-2013, 09:48 PM
There's been some confusion over the guild system, will those of us with 100+ member guilds already need to pick a faction or have two seperate guilds for characters on each side? Can accounts join more than one guild in that case, and if so is it by character or by keep?

I hope we don't have to maintain two guilds just because of factions. That would be completely unnecessary.

And the second question may have something to do with your choice of signature. :D

GenghisMike
09-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Can mercenaries be used in raids or just dungeons?

funktion
09-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Think the biggest one I'd like to know about is can we expect anything as far as "house rules" goes? See Kami's recent thread, that about sums it up. Stuff like that has been a pretty big deal for the longevity of magic, and it would definitely make Hex much more social on some levels.

Voices
09-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Maybe this has already been covered somewhere, but I would like to know what their expectations are for the size of the player base once the game is fairly established (say, two months after release). Even a very rough number would be helpful.

HyenaNipples
09-06-2013, 01:18 AM
What internal evolutions to Cryptozoic are needed to meet the challenges of Hex's release as a live product.

Icepick
09-06-2013, 03:36 AM
I'd like some more info on custom leagues/tournaments. Just what kind of options can we expect when setting these things up? What kinds of limits are there?

Idus
09-06-2013, 03:48 AM

I'll +1 that one.

I'd also like more info on the crafting system, but I'm guessing they still don't have that one fleshed out themselves.

Xenavire
09-06-2013, 04:01 AM
Don't forget to ask about the delivery date of our biggest and most important stretch goal.

We need to see the bear wrestling to help us wait for alpha.

Chiany
09-06-2013, 05:14 AM
Don't forget to ask about the delivery date of our biggest and most important stretch goal.

+1

this is by far the most important thing that needs to happen.

Shadowelf
09-06-2013, 05:50 AM
I think that the info your are requesting is already provided. The reason we don't we know more, is because they are still working/thinking on it and therefore nothing is finalized. Perhaps a clarification on guilds is required, since some stuff we know are logically implied. I too hope however that Cory has more to add or willing to provide the clarifications needed. All 3 are great questions, and i hope that mozu picks them for Cory to answer

Ok what we know so far (some recap) ;

You can run both factions into one account, and you can interact normally with opposite races; form guilds and raid together. The difference will be some faction specific quests and dungeons (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:25:25 to 0:26:44)

The only dungeon (we know of) that will force you to choose and the choice will be account bound is the arena. there will be 2 pair of enemies battling out that will be rotating on a yearly basis, and once you choose to ally with one, you can't get the card associated with the other (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ign-mpt=uo%3D4, episode 54 check 0:30:15)

As for faction specific quests, these will be champion bound, meaning that you will be able to complete all faction specific quests in one account (http://hextcg.com/exclamation-points...uestion-marks/)

You can use all the cards in your collection; there will be one master account and despite the race you will be using all the cards will be available to you (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 25:25)

This and audio recording from pve panel at DragonCon leads to ;

You can have both ardent and underworld champions in the same account. You can form guilds limited to underworld or ardent or form mixed guilds. If you want to help a buddy to a faction specific quest or dungeon(ardent for example), you have to log in with your ardent champion. Raids won't be faction specific, so you can you use both factions to raid with. Both keeps will share the same collection of cards (your account's collection). They haven't said how they intend the 2 keeps to work. It is possible that you will only be able to attack ardent keeps with your underworld champion and vice versa.

As for champions you can choose to ally with a faction with one character, then login with another and ally with the opposite faction. This way you can collect all faction specific rewards

Sources :

http://hextcg.com/exclamation-points...uestion-marks/ (faction specific quests being champion bound)
http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:25:45 to 0:28:00 (champion's for both sides, 2 keeps, everything played in one account)
http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013...-design-panel/ (faction's interaction 0:33:00, 2 keeps 0:35:28)

I'd like some more info on custom leagues/tournaments. Just what kind of options can we expect when setting these things up? What kinds of limits are there?

From update #11

Leagues! Imagine an interface that allows you to custom craft your very own league. Pick and choose all the options of your league, what format, how long it will run, who can play in it, what the prizes will be. This simple and intuitive tool will allow you completely customize the league.

Source http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts?page=7

More on leagues https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-geek-allstars/id446568794?ign-mpt=uo%3D4 episode 54 0:42:35
More on leagues/custom made tourneys http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 1:06:44
More on marathon https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-geek-allstars/id446568794?ign-mpt=uo%3D4 epidode 54 0:41:13

I'd also like more info on the crafting system, but I'm guessing they still don't have that one fleshed out themselves.

You earn resources by completing pve tasks or breaking cards down into materials which you can then use to craft items, pve cards and cosmetics More on crafting update #5 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts?page=9

Also Kevin Jordan on crafting http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/412300360 check 0:58.00 and also 1:02:20) onwards

Icepick
09-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Do you just have a huge list of every piece of information ever revealed or something? :P
Good stuff.

Edit: Those itunes and kickstarter links don't work for me.

Diesbudt
09-06-2013, 06:48 AM

Sorry Gwaer, I don't agree with your assessment.

Also, I would like guilds being restricted to a faction. You don't need to try and hold 2 separate guilds, just be in 2 different guilds (if true). No reason not to branch out and meet more people. However I believe guilds are still not going to be separate.

Shrennan
09-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Does every card only have two pieces of equipment attached to it with a fixed rarity (Soothing Breeze, for instance, has a rare and legendary equipment associated with it and that's it) or is there two equipment of every rarity that will be attached to a card (two common, two uncommon, etc.)?

felmare
09-06-2013, 08:07 AM
I want to know how the card exp/foiling system will work with cards like pack raptor. In the case of playing 1 pack raptor it shuffles 4 copies in your deck your original gets exp for being played but does the original get exp for a copy being played. also if you play a copy it puts 4 more copies of the COPY this makes it hard to level the rest of your pack raptors. how exactly will the foiling system work with copy cards like pack raptor?

Shadowelf
09-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Does every card only have two pieces of equipment attached to it with a fixed rarity (Soothing Breeze, for instance, has a rare and legendary equipment associated with it and that's it) or is there two equipment of every rarity that will be attached to a card (two common, two uncommon, etc.)?

Currently each card is associated with 2 pieces of equipment, that occupy slots among the 6 currently allowed to your champion. They range from common,uncommon,rare and legendary and yes a card can have a mix of 2 among the 4 rarities.

There will also be some cards associated with 3 pieces of equipment that form sets and will have set bonuses (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game?ref=live). Scroll down to see overcharge. More on sets here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C8hT73KiYI

Shrennan
09-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Currently each card is associated with 2 pieces of equipment, that occupy slots among the 6 currently allowed to your champion. They range from common,uncommon,rare and legendary and yes a card can have a mix of 2 among the 4 rarities.

There will also be some cards associated with 3 pieces of equipment that form sets and will have set bonuses (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game?ref=live). Scroll down to see overcharge. More on sets here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C8hT73KiYI

That seemed the more likely scenario so thanks for the extra confirmation! I knew there was 2 for each card, but I wasn't sure if that was 2 of every rarity or not. The 3 set bonus confirms what I suspected.

As for another question, is alpha going to be continual (once a player gets in, they can play whenever they want) or is it going to have certain times when players can play (on weekends)? I know there's phases but that's just to ease all the players who are getting into alpha in the game so I'm not referring to that.

d00dz
09-06-2013, 08:50 AM
1. I'd like to know more information on Keep Defense. Its one of the features I am most excited about.

2. Any info that could be shared on e-sports plans would be great. Are there plans to have big regional competitions (Asia, Europe, Australia, etc)? And will there be an option to play online-only for players that are unable to spare the necessary expense to fly (this being a digital TCG after all)?

3. And I also hope they don't implement the MLM/Ponzi referral rewards concept that was suggested in an interview before.

4. When will Kyle wrestle the bear?

CodexReaper
09-06-2013, 08:52 AM
There's been some confusion over the guild system, will those of us with 100+ member guilds already need to pick a faction or have two seperate guilds for characters on each side?

I think this really, really *should* be asked. It's been one of the more controversial issues from Dragon*Con. To be more specific, I'd personally phrase it this way:

"There's been a lot of concern over how guilds & players will be restricted by faction - we're worried that a guild will be forced into splitting their members because they have to pick a side. Since player accounts can have Champions for both Ardent & Underworld, how will they join a guild that is just one or the other? And since this is relevant largely to PvE, how does this affect being part of a guild for playing PvP? Do PvP players have to 'choose a faction' to join?"

Sergan
09-06-2013, 09:05 AM

+1

Shadowelf
09-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Edit: Those itunes and kickstarter links don't work for me.

Fixed them Icepick, sorry :)

hex_colin
09-06-2013, 09:51 AM
I think this really, really *should* be asked. It's been one of the more controversial issues from Dragon*Con. To be more specific, I'd personally phrase it this way:

"There's been a lot of concern over how guilds & players will be restricted by faction - we're worried that a guild will be forced into splitting their members because they have to pick a side. Since player accounts can have Champions for both Ardent & Underworld, how will they join a guild that is just one or the other? And since this is relevant largely to PvE, how does this affect being part of a guild for playing PvP? Do PvP players have to 'choose a faction' to join?"

I thought this was answered very thoroughly.

=Top Level of Account = Card Collection
==Ardent Keep
===Ardent Characters
==Underworld Keep
===Underworld Characters

All Characters have access to all cards (except those restricted by faction).

Characters join Guilds (just as in WoW). Guilds can be Ardent-only or Underworld-only.

The outstanding questions are:

* Is Team membership at the account level? Seems unlikely that it should be at the character level.
* How do you challenge a specific person to random PVP? Random matchmaking/friends list at the account level rather than the character level?

Gwaer
09-06-2013, 09:54 AM
According to the D*C audio guilds are either ardent or underworld, but not both. If both is an option then there's not an issue.

hex_colin
09-06-2013, 10:02 AM
According to the D*C audio guilds are either ardent or underworld, but not both. If both is an option then there's not an issue.

Yeah, my bad. My memory had combined the raiding restrictions (or lack thereof) with the comments on guilds shortly thereafter.

Gwaer
09-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I totally missed it, too. Someone on the forum pointed it out to me. =\ I was there... Though, D*C is not conducive to actually listening to things you want to retain.

CodexReaper
09-06-2013, 10:11 AM
I thought this was answered very thoroughly.

=Top Level of Account = Card Collection
==Ardent Keep
===Ardent Characters
==Underworld Keep
===Underworld Characters

All Characters have access to all cards (except those restricted by faction).

Characters join Guilds (just as in WoW). Guilds can be Ardent-only or Underworld-only.

The outstanding questions are:

* Is Team membership at the account level? Seems unlikely that it should be at the character level.
* How do you challenge a specific person to random PVP? Random matchmaking/friends list at the account level rather than the character level?

I guess that's true. Honestly, I'm probably just overthinking the whole thing (PS - I'm known to do that :P) but there's just some glaring logistical issues that come up when I try to picture this system. For example, if Team/Guild membership is on the account-level, then what happens if CBB is Underworld (DISCLAIMER: We haven't decided!) and I have Ardent characters? Do my Underworlds automatically have membership, or do I have to join on a character-by-character basis? Is it a mixture of both? What if someone doesn't care for PvE, and just wants to PvP - if they have to choose a side to join a guild, what happens if they later want to join a different guild on the other faction? Do they have to "faction-change?"

I think what's throwing me is the unique distinction HEX puts on PvE & PvP play in this game. In typical MMOs, both of those are done on a per-character basis. But here, since both of those categories are separated, I would think the logistics are a bit more complicated. Does that make sense, or am I just totally off here?

zadies
09-06-2013, 10:20 AM
PvP is done with the account. It tracks all your wins/losses. It would make much less sense To do it like arenas in wow where you have arena rank/points per character. You join your PvP team outside your pve guild hopefully and the can tell what your doing regardless of what pve character you are on. While your guild would work like wow where you sign up each individual character.

hex_colin
09-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I think what's throwing me is the unique distinction HEX puts on PvE & PvP play in this game. In typical MMOs, both of those are done on a per-character basis. But here, since both of those categories are separated, I would think the logistics are a bit more complicated. Does that make sense, or am I just totally off here?

Agreed. It's needs to be cleared up a bit. I'm sure CZE will share the final details when they've decided.

Given that content progress (Underworld vs. Ardent) is saved at the character level AND there are no restrictions on raid composition (both statements made at DragonCon), it honestly seems like the best plan of action is to make Guild (and Team) membership account based. That would seem to be what's easiest for players. I wouldn't want to see a world where every guild has 2 chapters, e.g. "Ardent CBB" and "Underworld CBB".

Shadowelf
09-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Well Cory said multiple times, even at DragonCon, that they want what is easiest and less complicated for the players. So it doesn't make sense to divide guilds according to factions; what is probably going to happen is what i was saying at my previous post (page 2). You can make an ardent guild, an underworld guild or an all faction guild

Here is the link where he was talking of factions and guilds http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:33:00

MugenMusou
09-06-2013, 11:04 AM
I liked your first video, so glad to get the second one.

I believe one thing still has not been clarified and hopefully by now it has been determined is card rarity distribution of a booster pack.

How many common, uncommons, rare, and legendary are in set 1?
What's the odd for legendary i.e. how many booster packs/legendary needs to be opened?

The second question is since at this point they are already deep into set 2 and already starting set 3, what's the size of set 2? How many total cards? Are they similar in rarity distribution compared to set 1?

Lastly, what is the frequency of expansion? 3 sets per year with every four months? Or 3 sets + 1 core set = every 3 months?

Thanks

Hatts
09-06-2013, 11:22 AM
What's a Mozu report?

Shadowelf
09-06-2013, 11:31 AM
I believe one thing still has not been clarified and hopefully by now it has been determined is card rarity distribution of a booster pack.

How many common, uncommons, rare, and legendary are in set 1?
What's the odd for legendary i.e. how many booster packs/legendary needs to be opened?

They said that they are emulating physical print runs, however there is no further info on that, most probably because they haven’t yet figure that out. But if it is anything like mtg’s then you are looking for 1/8 chance (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:34:05)

As for percentage of legendaries in packs http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:33:10

The second question is since at this point they are already deep into set 2 and already starting set 3, what's the size of set 2? How many total cards? Are they similar in rarity distribution compared to set 1?

Set 2 will be around 250 cards (link later)

LOL Wall of Bears is basically my worst nightmare :D

Set 2 will be about 250 cards. That's about all I can say for now :)

Lastly, what is the frequency of expansion? 3 sets per year with every four months? Or 3 sets + 1 core set = every 3 months?

Thanks

They will be releasing 1 set every 4 months aka 3 sets a year, that will be forming a block and rotate every 2 years. (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ign-mpt=uo%3D4 episode 54 check 0:52:00). As for reprints, they haven’t considered it yet, as they think it’s too early (http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/412300360 check 0:27:23)

Gwaer
09-06-2013, 11:32 AM
They also said quite definitively they will not be sharing exact distribution with us.

funktion
09-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks

Talked to Cory about this one already at GenCon. You might be able to find the audio out there somewhere, think Mckizz might have been recording it. Anyhow, I'm paraphrasing here but it was something along the lines of...

Right now they're on the 3 sets a year plan. 3 not being enough is definitely a concern though. People consume digital sets WAY faster than physical ones. This is actually a pretty real problem for them, they don't want the game to grow stale. Magic can do 4 sets a year and so long as you're only going to FNM a couple times a month you're not gonna get bored. When it's available online you can play at any hour of the day, not just friday.

So with that said, ramping up to 4 sets a year might become a reality sooner rather than later.

Edit: shadow beat me to it... herp derp I fail, no surprise that he did though!

mozu
09-06-2013, 12:28 PM
What's a Mozu report?

The Mozu Report (http://www.mozupro.com/the-mozu-report/)

Idus
09-06-2013, 02:00 PM
You earn resources by completing pve tasks or breaking cards down into materials which you can then use to craft items, pve cards and cosmetics More on crafting update #5 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e/posts?page=8

Also Kevin Jordan on crafting http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/412300360 check 0:58.00 and also 1:02:20) onwards

Neither of those links is working on my iPad, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them both. I know the general ideas, but am after specifics such as :-

1. Will every PvE card be craftable? Will equipment be craftable?
2. Will there be specific recipes or random outcomes from crafting?
3. Will recipes (if they exist) be purchased/discoverable or freely available to everyone?
4. Can everything be broken down into materials?
5. Will we have to buy tools/pay fees to craft?
7. Will material recovery be predictable or random?
8. Will there be material rarities?
9. Will crafted items have a makers mark?
10. Will there be a concept of crafting levels?
11. Will there be crafting disciplines?
12. Is there a chance of failures within the crafting process?
13. Will crafting be able to produce unique items not gainable elsewhere?

I could probably go on, and as I said, this is probably too specific or where development is at, or maybe they don't want to spoil any of it, but any more hint into the specifics we can get would be good.

Yoss
09-06-2013, 04:12 PM
There is conflict between a past article and a recent Q&A (see quotes below) where one said things are saved by Faction (Keep?) and the other said it was by Champion. Which one is correct?

It's not my article it was Michael Kirchhoff's. Here is the quote;

In your adventures, you will encounter a number of organizations that are willing to enter into a mutually beneficial business relationship. For example, The Void Society are a neutral group of merchants who offer specific quests in exchange for highly lucrative rewards.
Then there are the Hired Horns, a band of mercenary minotaurs, and The Ashen, a network of gargoyle spies. At one point in your journeys, you will be offered the chance to join one of these organizations. But do not make your choice lightly, because the two groups are despised enemies, and once you join one, you can never gain reputation with the other on the same character.
The most exciting part about earning an illustrious reputation with these organizations is that your success in helping them with their agendas will allow you to score unique PVE cards that you cannot get anywhere else in the game!

Source http://hextcg.com/exclamation-points-and-question-marks/

What do you mean "by Faction"? Wouldn't it be "by Keep"? Nope. It was definitely specified that story progression was "by Faction." And, to be honest, since you'll only have one Keep per side, that comparison really doesn't do that much. Even if it was technically "by Keep", it would be saved in exactly the same way.

Daer
09-06-2013, 04:34 PM
The first quote refers to NPC factions in the storyline and the second quote refers to Underworld/Ardent.

Stok3d
09-06-2013, 09:19 PM
I want to hear more about the updated website hextcg.com mentioned in update #43. Anything planning to happen with the forums too? When can we get some more juicy details? :)

funktion
09-06-2013, 09:40 PM
I want to hear more about the updated website hextcg.com mentioned in update #43. Anything planning to happen with the forums too? When can we get some more juicy details? :)

Actually I second that one, though asking for more details on that might be a pretty big stretch. It's kinda one of those things where a picture is worth 1,000 words.

The new website is definitely one of the things which I'm pretty amped for.

MugenMusou
09-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks Shadowelf, Gwaer, and funktion.

It's too bad they won't share us the distribution of the packs.

funktion
09-07-2013, 02:11 PM
It's too bad they won't share us the distribution of the packs.

Eh, we'll have a pretty good idea of that soon enough : ) Gotta leave some things open for the players to discover.

zadies
09-07-2013, 07:59 PM
I think it comes down to the ease of the ah and only ever needing 4 for a full playset the rarity of the chase cards is going to at least equal if not exceed the mythics in MTG.

MugenMusou
09-07-2013, 08:26 PM
I think it comes down to the ease of the ah and only ever needing 4 for a full playset the rarity of the chase cards is going to at least equal if not exceed the mythics in MTG.

100%. That's why I wanted to have the distribution. :)

zadies
09-07-2013, 08:50 PM
No reason for them to reveal it it will just lead to complaints one way or the other. Regardless of distribution I feel with a global ah making a constructed deck will end up about as easy as it is in MTG, many drafters will sell the chase rates due to not caring about constructed and due to the ease of finding buyers without any scam fears on the rarest cards even with a less generous distribution it will likely feel the same.

BornMilitary
09-09-2013, 08:15 PM
I would like to know more about the reward structure and how it works on "hard mode".

Does your drop roll increase in rarity?
Do you get more drops?
Does your double back earn an achievement?

So in general I would love to hear more about hard mode.

Thank you sir.

Aradon
09-09-2013, 09:39 PM
A couple things: Is there a hard and fast rule for how equipment adds its functionality to a card, or is it implemented intuitively per card? For example, if equipment gives a spell an added effect, is that effect placed as the last line of the spell? With Dream Dance, there are boots that add the effect 'put a card from your graveyard on top of your library.' It seems like this is intended to pair with the draw-a-card effect, but if the equipment effect is the last thing to happen, you won't actually draw the card you put on top. Will equipment effects instead be intuitive? I'm particularly curious about this card in particular.

Also, are there any plans to prevent 'save scumming' with raids? For example, could I just restart a raid encounter until I had an excellent hand, or is there a small internal timer to prevent concede/reloads? I feel like players could build decks that, with improbable hands, could combo out very easily. Normally this is combated in serious (tournament) play by being inconsistent where a record is important, but in a PvE environment, it seems like you could just start over at no penalty.

RECHiD
09-10-2013, 12:51 AM
Two Questions:

1) Socketing gems into spells? All the gems we have now modify troops, and likewise, all socketed cards are troops. Are Spell sockets on the table? Any idea on when we might see them (Set2? Next block?)

2) New champion releases? We know of all the existing champions, but is there a plan to make more champs down the road? I was thinking maybe 2-5 every couple sets sounds right, but what are Cryptozoic/Cory's thoughts?

Gwaer
09-10-2013, 12:55 AM
Last I heard on the new champs topic was that they didn't want a slew of champs you had to learn in PVP. Likely there will be 1-2 new champs per set with some champs rotating out when they get to a certain not yet determined point. Possibly every block will have its own set of champs.

lucedes
09-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Also, are there any plans to prevent 'save scumming' with raids? For example, could I just restart a raid encounter until I had an excellent hand, or is there a small internal timer to prevent concede/reloads? I feel like players could build decks that, with improbable hands, could combo out very easily. Normally this is combated in serious (tournament) play by being inconsistent where a record is important, but in a PvE environment, it seems like you could just start over at no penalty.

from what we know of raids, there are a few things to prevent this from happening. the most obvious is that they've said that each raid has multiple phases. if each phase has its own hand, then there'd be no point to scumming any phase after the first. the other thing is that the goals in each phase of a raid are different; they've stated that, for example, the first phase of one raid is 'sailing,' and somehow your troops perform functions like manning the sails. not sure how useful a combo hand would be there? you'd have to have a combo specific to that phase - and then what do you do in the other two phases?

tl;dr i'm not particularly concerned about inconsistent rapid combo decks in PvE content, since both dungeons and raids involve multiple games in sequence, meaning they're not particularly vulnerable to rapid restarts.

Aradon
09-10-2013, 02:33 AM
I don't think every phase has its own game/hand to it. For instance, we know that the Chaos Key raid moves fluidly between its three phases, which would make new hands pretty awkward. It might vary between raids, but we don't know much. As for the potency of combo decks, I'm actually very concerned. For creature needs, Pack Raptor seems pretty prone to exploitation, and for damage needs, dream dance is too potent. I guess we'll see once raids hit.

Gwaer
09-10-2013, 06:25 AM
It's my understanding that there is no way to savescum. You can't save and load the game. It remembers where you are between fights. But leaving during an actual match counts as a loss.

EntropyBall
09-10-2013, 12:29 PM
It's my understanding that there is no way to savescum. You can't save and load the game. It remembers where you are between fights. But leaving during an actual match counts as a loss.

But you just go start a raid. So suffering an instant defeat in the raid wouldn't mean anything based on what they've said so far. The "3 deaths and you're out" aspect of dungeons makes this a non-issue for dungeons, but raids don't require lead-up games, so it seems like you could just restart the raid if you got 1-2 bad hands. I would think they've thought of some way to avoid this.

Umaro
09-10-2013, 12:40 PM
But you just go start a raid. So suffering an instant defeat in the raid wouldn't mean anything based on what they've said so far. The "3 deaths and you're out" aspect of dungeons makes this a non-issue for dungeons, but raids don't require lead-up games, so it seems like you could just restart the raid if you got 1-2 bad hands. I would think they've thought of some way to avoid this.

I think an easy fix to this would be to program in 1-2 friendly mulligans for Raids. That way, if two people open decent hands, one would have a better chance of not messing it up for his/her party.

With that in mind, I suppose a short cooldown would also restrict "Perfect Hand Farming" for raids. Something like one or two hours, just so a person couldn't restart over and over just to get a perfect hand. Now, I know that they're trying to avoid anything that restricts one's ability to play at any given moment, but one or two hours locked out of one particular raid doesn't seem like much of a hindrance to help prevent the market from flooding with chase gear from a group of people trying to work the system in their favor.

I understand that people will be opposed to that proposition, but understand that it was just a thought.

Aradon
09-10-2013, 12:56 PM
I think an easy fix to this would be to program in 1-2 friendly mulligans for Raids. That way, if two people open decent hands, one would have a better chance of not messing it up for his/her party.

With that in mind, I suppose a short cooldown would also restrict "Perfect Hand Farming" for raids. Something like one or two hours, just so a person couldn't restart over and over just to get a perfect hand. Now, I know that they're trying to avoid anything that restricts one's ability to play at any given moment, but one or two hours locked out of one particular raid doesn't seem like much of a hindrance to help prevent the market from flooding with chase gear from a group of people trying to work the system in their favor.

I understand that people will be opposed to that proposition, but understand that it was just a thought.

I was thinking something similar, but much shorter. Even a five minute lockout on game concession would make 'free mulligans' inefficient. I don't see this being that much of an issue with group play, but for people going for solo kills, they'd probably take advantage of game restarts.

Gwaer
09-10-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm pretty strongly opposed to that. If raids are as hard as they have promised it's going to take a lot of attempts. A lockout longer than a few minutes would be a huge problem.

Umaro
09-10-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm pretty strongly opposed to that. If raids are as hard as they have promised it's going to take a lot of attempts. A lockout longer than a few minutes would be a huge problem.

Like I said, just a first though. Even five or ten minutes would help.

Vibraxus
09-10-2013, 01:49 PM

Howabout if you start a raid battle, (meaning you draw your hand) you either finish it, or you get 1 loss against you. No mulligan since the raid boss (I think) wont get to mulligan, why should we?

Umaro
09-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Howabout if you start a raid battle, (meaning you draw your hand) you either finish it, or you get 1 loss against you. No mulligan since the raid boss (I think) wont get to mulligan, why should we?

If you've ever played one of the WoW TCG Raid decks, you'd understand why the raid doesn't need to mulligan. The cards in those decks are grossly over-powered and under-costed, since it has to compete with three to five players. It balances out for the most part, which is ridiculous.

As far as I remember, a good chunk of the WOW raids didn't have to worry about resources. They were generated every turn, or upon transitioning phases, or by certain card effects, etc. We might see some of that on Hex also, considering they share roots.

Shadowelf
09-10-2013, 02:56 PM

I was thinking something similar, but much shorter. Even a five minute lockout on game concession would make 'free mulligans' inefficient. I don't see this being that much of an issue with group play, but for people going for solo kills, they'd probably take advantage of game restarts.

What they said is that currently they would like us to play as often as we want as long as we enjoy raids. But they might be considering limiters in the future to maintain the value of items/cards (http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:47:00 to 0:48:30)

zadies
09-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Given you have three players the likelihood of all three having a perfect hand at once is incredibly improbable.
So if you are joining random raid que and leaving random raid que because you don't have the perfect hand you just boned the other two people and I would hope there were reprocusions for doing that constantly. You can't see if the other two have a perfect hand or not either.

Grumph
09-10-2013, 05:25 PM
I think they said that all raids have 3 parts too, each one harder than the previous. So you would only get the perfect hand for the first/easiest part of the raid