PDA

View Full Version : Card Preview: Cerebral Fulmination and Sadistic Castigator

Shaqattaq
09-06-2013, 01:38 PM
by Mike Rosenberg

Cerebral Fulmination is Ruby’s rage, channeled into a warrior’s mind rather than in a warrior’s combat prowess.

http://hextcg.com/card-previews-september-6th/

Hemlock
09-06-2013, 01:48 PM
I take back everything I said about Ragefire not having a place in aggro decks. Cerebral Fulmination changes everything.

Icepick
09-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Nice. The Sadistic Castigator is crazy awesome and can probably fit in to a lot of decks easily, but Cerebral Fulmination definitely needs to be built around to make sure you get more benefit out of it than your opponent. Great art on both cards, though!

Westane
09-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Hello Howling Mine, never thought I'd see you in red... Time to work on that Ruby/X Turbo Mill deck...

Barkam
09-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Ruby just got further super charged with Cerebral Fulmination. Ruby aggro is so strong already too.

Idus
09-06-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm confused by this line in the article

The Breastplate of Sagacity, a legendary equipment, punishes your opponent even more for attempting to empty their hand. Why settle for drawing two cards a turn when you can draw new options every time your opponent attempts to play a card?

Doesn't the Breastplate make your opponent draw when he plays a card? How does this let you "draw new options every time your opponent attempts to play a card"? Maybe I'm misreading the equipment?

Quasari
09-06-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm confused by this line in the article

Doesn't the Breastplate make your opponent draw when he plays a card? How does this let you "draw new options every time your opponent attempts to play a card"? Maybe I'm misreading the equipment?
I don't know if Id want it equiped based on what the text reads, but the article says it does something different.

havocattack
09-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Probably a typo

__X__
09-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Equipment should probably read, "When an opposing champion plays a card, draw a card."

Regarding the Castigator, do you think the revealed card will get the +3 cost modifier from the equipment prior to damage being dealt or after?

One last thing: is this the first reveal of the set abbreviation "Shards" on the bottom of the cards?

Idus
09-06-2013, 02:44 PM
One last thing: is this the first reveal of the set abbreviation "Shards" on the bottom of the cards?

I was wondering about that too. I don't recall seeing it before. Is that the set name & number?

jtatta
09-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Yes, that is the set name and number.

Rycajo
09-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Because Cerebral Fulmination does not have "Draw a card" as an immediate effect, this Constant actually provides significant card advantage to your opponent. You are down a card that does nothing more for you than for your opponent, and your opponent actually receives the benefit first.

Slish
09-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Because Cerebral Fulmination does not have "Draw a card" as an immediate effect, this Constant actually provides significant card advantage to your opponent. You are down a card that does nothing more for you than for your opponent, and your opponent actually receives the benefit first.

Good catch, I didn't even thought about that. It is quite a negative impact indeed...

malloc31
09-06-2013, 05:34 PM
that is exactly the same as howling mine in magic and that has seen a lot of play. It would be overpowered other wise. It works best in decks that punish the other player for having lots of cards, or decks where you destroy or prevent use of their resources so they can't use the extra cards.

Rycajo
09-06-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm not saying it is a bad card. But without building around it you are suffering significant card disadvantage.

RandomWitness
09-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Howling Mine for Ruby? Mono-Ruby burn decks got that much better. Hell Ruby anything decks just got more fun

Soul-of-Void
09-07-2013, 02:24 AM
I like the Sadistic Castigator nice way to finish someone . For sure will want it in my deck.

Armies
09-08-2013, 07:19 PM
the best part about sadistic castigator is that it is the first goblin revealed so the pve equipment for goblin cooking pot has a very nice target to search for.

Leingod
09-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Could very easily see Castigator as a great sideboard against control.

vickrpg
09-10-2013, 03:37 AM
That is a very expensive, killable, underworld dreams...

arastor
09-10-2013, 12:45 PM
That is a very expensive, killable, underworld dreams...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but underworld dreams (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=191343&type=card) neither shows you what they draw, nor does damage equal to the cost. Nor is a 3/4 flyer. I'll take a 3 cost difference for those changes.
edit: although now that I think about it, I'm curious what the average damage would come out to. More than 1, I'm sure, but how much...