PDA

View Full Version : Card Border Discussion

Cheshiremoose
09-07-2013, 07:39 PM
I really like the artwork, they look like paintings and are very much like Magic cards. The thing is, the borders contrast with it a lot. They look very edgy, like CGI, and they just look weird plastered onto the old fashioned artwork. The border colors are also very sharp and colorful and it doesn't synch very well with the artwork. I don't know if it was intentional to have the colors mirror the colors from the Hex puzzle game but it feels really weird in a TCG. Sorry if people don't want to compare Hex to Magic, but I like the way the Magic guys subdue the color and text of the cards so we can focus on the artwork.

Badger
09-07-2013, 08:01 PM
I completely agree. The WOW TCG cards had a much nicer feel.

Zdge
09-07-2013, 08:08 PM
I'd have to agree about the card boarders, and I'll say too that the entire board state, a lot of the, time is unnecessarily flashy. This could be intimidating to some, new players especially. I really hope a lot of this get polished down, would make for a much clearer board state.

P.S.

PS, you have balls saying something negative about Hex. Maybe you'll get a message from a mod telling you to shut up, like I did.

LOL

MoikPEI
09-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Well, I took a quick skim of a few cards to see if I could tell what op is getting at when consciously looking for flaws. I picked three different cards with no real rhyme or reason (simulate random).

Adamantian Scrivener - Yeah, the background is black on a Diamond card. That seems off, especially when considering the light yellow MtG cards usually do for White.
Peek - Looks fine, though I suppose something that looked more like a picture frame rather than fractal textured edging would make more sense, especially with Extended Art.
Time Bug - Looks perfectly fine. I wouldn't want it to change.

What looks unpleasant may vary by card?

Maphalux
09-07-2013, 08:15 PM
I tend to agree that the borders could be a bit more muted to really let the artwork pop and draw the eye.

Commoble
09-07-2013, 08:53 PM
I like the card borders, but I do think the board has WAY too many particle effects.

Daer
09-07-2013, 08:56 PM
I love the card borders, honestly probably my favorite card borders ever.

zadies
09-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Game is supposed to launch with 6+ game boards I like flare but I can see why it would bother some people.

Perhaps one of the extra boards will be less flashy though so they can meet multiple people's hopes. I don't think they need to make that one less flashy.

Malicus
09-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Hopefully they will allow you to tune your flare level up or down.

keldrin
09-08-2013, 01:16 AM
I like the borders myself.

Legenis
09-08-2013, 01:56 AM
I am hoping that the interface will be brighten up a bit. A friend shot me a link to Hearthstone, I guess blizzard is doing the same thing. Hate to say their graphics have a lot more eye candy. But the gameplay looks a little simplistic.

RanaDunes
09-08-2013, 01:58 AM
I like the art a lot.
The borders can use some enhancements but then again I've never tried the game they might look good in the game but not as good on screenshots.

But I have to agree the border doesn't have to look like MTG cards. It can benefit from it being a completely digital game and make the cards look a little better (border design wise). The art, in the other hand, like I said is beautiful!

DreamPuppet
09-08-2013, 02:56 AM
Minimum of 25 pieces of flair.

Icepick
09-08-2013, 05:28 AM
I think the cards look great, personally. It's one of the things that originally drew me to Hex.

nekoangel
09-08-2013, 06:06 AM
I think they look fine. I also think as this game gains mechanics and ideas that the cards look will change according to deck construction like in the way gems affect card colour and with a design like they have and a digital space cards are going to look different all the time.

NaryaDL0re
09-08-2013, 06:56 AM
I really dislike the boarders as well, didnt want to start a thread because
it wouldve been a higher wall of text. Concerning the boarders as well as the
board itself. (The 3D, shadows, Design, Placement, Resources etc...)

I think the boarders just look "rusty"... really dirty and metally...
Something that would fit in a futuristic TCG or sth like that...
it really puts me off the "medieval fantasy theme"

EDIT:

Given the Online nature of this game I think this discussion
should never really go the way of "Change the baord/boarders".

But rather = I would like different skins for the boarders of cards
as well as different boards.

I for example would really dig a "wooden" theme.
For the board as well as for the frames/boarders of the cards.

Right now this game (only design wise) feels like a cool fantasy world
of art and story... pressed into garbage cans (boarders) and put
on a random flashy ritual table (the board).

I d much rather have the feel of playing with CARDS on a Table
or inside a closed interface...

I really dislike this "one step too far" design of making the cards with
flying "hower" over the board and everything feel more like creatures
rather than cards...
If thats the case I would rather have a fully fledged round based rpg
with multiplayer...

The mechanics are all great... the online only design space rocks there.
But I really miss the feeling of playing with paper cards on a table in Hex.
At least from what we have seen so far.

I dont want to take something away from anyone...
But I really would like a skin/Board choice that has a much more
"retro" / "cards on table" feel to it.

(Might be a good comparison, as long as taken with a grain of salt:
I really really really dig the Hearthstone interface.
I know its very story driven and has its Artstyle given by WoW... but
thats not the main point. Just how "closed" it is, the dimensions used
and how polished and smooth it looks and feels. Very compressed
information and tight design, while still feeling very alive.

I know hex has a much higher amount of information that needs to
be presented, but right now (I know its even before alpha... but I
cant comment on the final game yet, so to be productive in any way
or form I can only comment on what we ve seen so far) its very clumsy
and untidy.

Even the MtGO Beta client has a more clean and intuitive Interface.
Its streight forward and brings its own beauty with that.

What makes me make all these comparisons in the first place is
that cory somewhere in the beginning stated that HEX :
"Has the best online interface the exists in a TCG today".

And that implies a lot of confidence in an interface that as of
right now, is third in line, if that. (in my eyes at least))

noragar
09-08-2013, 07:13 AM
So as not to get drowned out by the minority, I love the design of the cards and the borders. For the last couple months, whenever I see cards from another game, like Hearthstone or Magic, they look simplistic, boring, and not nearly as visually appealing as most of the cards I've seen from Hex.

ossuary
09-08-2013, 12:07 PM
I believe I read somewhere at some point that there were going to be multiple boards you could use / find / unlock. That being said, I don't really have a problem with the card layout, borders, or the board they've shown us so far. They all look fine to me (especially since it's still pre-alpha, and the interface will very likely still go through several rounds of polish before official release). Nothing to get your knickers in a twist over, certainly.

BongoBong
09-08-2013, 12:16 PM
I like the cards as they are.

Stok3d
09-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Title Updated to More Accurate Description

Stok3d
09-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I like the eye-candy as-is.

However, I would think it plausible that borders to rotate per block? Haven't heard of this from CZE, just thinking is possible considering trends of other TCGs.

GenghisMike
09-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I like the borders personally, would be cool if they were to offer alternate borders that could be found or crafted though!

Daer
09-08-2013, 03:13 PM
The borders might be my favorite piece of "art" so far.

Skirovik
09-08-2013, 06:22 PM
I really quite like the borders, personally. :)

NaryaDL0re
09-09-2013, 04:12 AM
After taking a closer look I realized that all those borders that bothered me
are blood cards. I really dig the Diamond and Ruby ones. And even thoudg the
leafs of wild are rather "wet and in your face" I like them as well.

For artifacts this "dirty and metally look" I described earlier works naturally.

Saphire seems a little underwhelming compared to diamond and ruby given
the similar design.

Just blood... for some reason I dont get along with this "rusty" theme of the artifacts there.
Why not sth a little more "spiritual/dead"? like purple ghosts or aruas or sth.

Anyhow this perspective has reliefed me quite a bit.

(What I still dont get/like is the grey area on the right hand side.
It appears on some cards but not on others. Anyone care to enlighten
me what the purpose and origin of that is?)

ossuary
09-09-2013, 04:51 AM
As an aside to this conversation, is it REALLY so hard to type the word "something?" You're not texting your Broseph... you should try to type / speak more completely if you want to be taken srsly... sorry, seriously. :p

Diesbudt
09-09-2013, 08:53 AM
I personally also really like the borders. I think it fits the cards, and don't need a generic black border as these are not real cards and not able to try and sneak a peak at the edge of the card border to get a feel for the color coming.

vickrpg
09-09-2013, 01:06 PM
I like the Hex interface and borders a lot too. In fact, I looked at some videos of Hearthstone, and despite being an avid WoW fan, I don't think I'll play it. Almost entirely based on the fact that I dislike the interface. A lot. Hate and despise might be more accurate. "Ack! kill it with fire!" is good too.

ramseytheory
09-09-2013, 01:19 PM
I'll just chime in to say that I like the borders as they are as well.

Malicus
09-10-2013, 01:24 AM
(What I still dont get/like is the grey area on the right hand side.
It appears on some cards but not on others. Anyone care to enlighten
me what the purpose and origin of that is?)

That appears on all the sapphire/ruby/diamond or the artificial shards but not on the "natural" shards blood/wild. I noticed this awhile ago but had forgotten about it until I read your post and had to work it out again :).

ursa23
09-10-2013, 04:28 AM
I'm underwhelmed by the blood borders, true. But the rest fit the game so perfectly. Have you looked at the wild borders? They're leaves! So awesome. Maybe a sort of "marble" look rather than the dirty look would help blood cards. Or possibly a water effect, giving the borders a glistening feel of purple blood.

ConnorJS
09-10-2013, 03:31 PM
The borders look great IMO, this isn't a physical TCG so stop trying to make it look like one ;D

NaryaDL0re
09-11-2013, 02:54 AM
Does anyone have any comments on skins? We know we get multiple boards
(hopefully in design and not only in color etc)...

Since the cardboarders seem to be linked to the shards and not the set
its probably safe to assume they wont change anytime soon for Set-design purposes.
Which opens up designspace to create multiple boarders for each shard...

Again new designspace for loot in boostertreasures and pve content.

Gulbech
09-11-2013, 05:25 AM
I really like the look of the cards. Great art and borders make it easy to sort multi colour decks.

The board could be better though. You cant see all the phases if you have serveral creatures on the board.

Hemotherapy
09-11-2013, 06:51 AM
I'm underwhelmed by the blood borders, true. But the rest fit the game so perfectly. Have you looked at the wild borders? They're leaves! So awesome. Maybe a sort of "marble" look rather than the dirty look would help blood cards. Or possibly a water effect, giving the borders a glistening feel of purple blood.

That would be nice..

The one thing I dislike about the widl cards is there is a small white portion left over on the border, and the bottom right too, that isn't covered by the leaves...I'm hoping that's a mistake and not by design, when they're minimized/in play on a board you don't notice but when you blow up the card to look at it, it's pretty tacky looking/lazily done.

ConnorJS
09-11-2013, 11:10 AM
I really like the look of the cards. Great art and borders make it easy to sort multi colour decks.

The board could be better though. You cant see all the phases if you have serveral creatures on the board.

They're going to have 6 boards if I remember correctly, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. And I think once you play with the boards for a while you'll get used to the phases.

EntropyBall
09-11-2013, 11:48 AM
First off, a Public Service Announcement, cards have "borders". People who run a boarding house have "boarders".

But rather = I would like different skins for the boarders of cards

I disagree with most of this post, especially the flying troops thing, but I really like this idea. Given the digital resources in Hex, it would be (I think) a very small amount of work to let people earn/buy different card borders the way they do for sleeves.

I think you'd want to make it so that all cards in a game appeared to the player as whatever border they had chosen, but there could be advantages to letting each player's cards appear slightly different to both players during a match, to quickly tell who controls/owns a card.