PDA

View Full Version : YouTubers, least painful way to record/upload vids?

havocattack
09-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Hey all,

I'm extremely excited for Hex, haven't been this excited for a game in years and cannot wait to play with/against you all! :)

I plan to upload vids to youtube of hex gameplay but it's been years since I uploaded to youtube and it wasn't exactly the easiest way to do it (used fraps and then used a program to convert and so on, took a while)

Was hoping some people with experience could share their methods and or suggestions on some quick and easy ways to record gameplay and then getting the vids on youtube in the least painful way possible.

Also think I will run a twitch stream or something but I'm guessing that's a rather simple process?

Thanks in advance :)

HAVOC
Elementary

Mokog
09-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Shall I open up all of our secrets?!?!?!?

You have several methods. Twitch streaming is fantastic. Youtube has a new quirks to it since they changed how partnership worked early this year. You will want to do your research. There are more video platforms than a couple years ago out now. If you want streamlined video to channel, I am working some with XSplit and it works well. I still like to do video shorts the hard way. I will record audio, over lay video and render to MP4 format.

Pick your poison Havoc. How you make your videos is as much your style as anything. Each method will offer different places to make a mark and have different levels of preparation to make the experience enjoyable for the viewer. As long as you make video you love and want to share with the world, your audience will find you.

~Mokog

Idus
09-08-2013, 02:27 PM
A Mokog says, there's lots of ways to do things.

However, just yesterday, my teenage boys wanted an easy way to make Minecraft videos for youtube, and I found what seems to be a little gem for great performance, features, ease of youtube posting and price. Mirillis Action!, available for US$30 from http://mirillis.com couldn't be mich simpler, for windows platforms, as long as you're not on Windows XP.

havocattack
09-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Dumb question, with twitch streaming, after I've finished a stream can I just save and upload it to youtube or something?

Xenavire
09-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Dumb question, with twitch streaming, after I've finished a stream can I just save and upload it to youtube or something?

I would also like to know this. Will be looking into streaming and possibly uploading myself in the future, and this is a big question for me as well.

havocattack
09-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Fiddling around with twitch now and it seems to be built in, so that will probably make things incredibly easy :D

Xenavire
09-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Fiddling around with twitch now and it seems to be built in, so that will probably make things incredibly easy :D

I really need to stop being lazy and try twitch out myself too. *Makes informal plans to do so and doesn't follow through for weeks.*

Rieper
09-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Fast tip. Look into OBS (open broadcast software), you can stream and record with it(doing both at same time is on list of features they wanna add). Read alot of good about it, and best part it is free.

funktion
09-08-2013, 03:38 PM

Xsplit has an option to stream straight to twitch and also "record locally" you can either do them seperately or at the same time. If you do both at the same time you're basically recording an archive of whatever you did, which is kinda cool.

I'm using Xsplit right now myself. There is a free version that you can toy around with, but many of the features are disabled and it also has a watermark so that you cannot monetize your videos unless you pay for the tools which you're otherwise using for free.

I'm currently using Xsplit, but plan to at least try out OBS as soon as I get back from vacation.

jetah
09-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I'll toss my hat toward Twitch as well. Each video you do is archived for you and your viewers. You can delete videos as well from the archive. You can highlight parts of a video (ie something happened around x time you can mark the start and end to create a highlight).

Twitch has live chat as well. you can be interactive with your viewers or ignore them.

I also use OBS. It has a better video quality than xsplit, imo, and it's free.

havocattack
09-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Nice, will check out OBS :) thanks

jetah
09-08-2013, 04:46 PM
obsproject.com is the website.
twitch.tv is the other one.

havocattack
09-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Tried it out and got it working, not sure if my upload speed is good enough though :( Only 1000kbps
Should be enough for Hex though since its mostly static :)

Kami
09-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Tried it out and got it working, not sure if my upload speed is good enough though :( Only 1000kbps
Should be enough for Hex though since its mostly static :)

With only a 1000kbps, you'll likely want to stream at a video bitrate of about 500kbps and audio bitrate of 96kbps. Your max resolution will likely be around 640x360 at most for acceptable quality.

On a side-note, Twitch is updating their stream requirements to be more strict so keep that in mind as well.

See here: http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1253460

Xenavire
09-08-2013, 07:48 PM
With only a 1000kbps, you'll likely want to stream at a video bitrate of about 500kbps and audio bitrate of 96kbps. Your max resolution will likely be around 640x360 at most for acceptable quality.

On a side-note, Twitch is updating their stream requirements to be more strict so keep that in mind as well.

See here: http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1253460

At some point I am going to have to annoy you into helping me with my own Twitch/OBS (I spent the whole night testing it rather than procrastinating.) But I seem to get a lot of video lag (or pixellation at higher qualities) and that comes down to my hardware, and my ineptitude in tweaking it.

So, if you know off the top of your head what settings I would need (ballpark) just from my system specs, I will post them up and pick your brain. If you don't mind of course! (Right now I can safely stream a decent quality Magic 2014, but I would like a little more leeway so I have a buffer for the MMO side and the possibility that Hex is aimed towards higher end machines.)

But I am done testing for the night, need some sleep. I already learned a ton from this thread so thanks to everyone, especially the OP for reminding me to get organised.

havocattack
09-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Yeh, I still got a lot of fiddling to do myself but since Hex is just a card game, should be easy to tweak and make it look good, can probably get away with 15 fps even ;)

Xenavire
09-09-2013, 03:49 AM
Yeah, it should be simple, but when I made my first attempts, I had a fairly good stream going but it would lag and become pixelly. But otherwise, the video was stable.

Then I changed my settings to bump my stream quality up to Excellent (by twitch standards) and the stream is not laggy, it is a series of still frames seconds apart. I had to go from native streaming to dropping my resolution to the lowest possible just to make it watchable. Frustrating.

I know it isn't my broadband (got 5.8mbs upload, 60mbs+ download) so that leaves my hardware. Really need to consider upgrading my ram and going to x64 windows.

Kami
09-09-2013, 04:19 AM
So, if you know off the top of your head what settings I would need (ballpark) just from my system specs, I will post them up and pick your brain. If you don't mind of course! (Right now I can safely stream a decent quality Magic 2014, but I would like a little more leeway so I have a buffer for the MMO side and the possibility that Hex is aimed towards higher end machines.)

Sure, I can try. :)

Malicus
09-09-2013, 04:26 AM
I have been watching a ton of magic drafting lately and now I find that I talk to myself while drafting so have started considering the notion of recording myself while I talk rubbish and lose. Might be fun to do a twitch stream when I am playing Hex to show everyone what not to do :).

Xenavire
09-09-2013, 05:51 AM
Sure, I can try. :)

Ok, off the top of my head, I have a 1gb ATI graphics, 4gb ram (3 available due to OS, it was a recent upgrade from 2gb), and a dual core 3.0 (I can't remember the brand etc off the top of my head, but it is fairly strong for a dual core.)

Will update with more specific specs if needed, when I am at my PC.

Kami
09-09-2013, 05:54 AM
Ok, off the top of my head, I have a 1gb ATI graphics, 4gb ram (3 available due to OS, it was a recent upgrade from 2gb), and a dual core 3.0 (I can't remember the brand etc off the top of my head, but it is fairly strong for a dual core.)

Will update with more specific specs if needed, when I am at my PC.

Yeah, will definitely need more specifics.

GPU doesn't really matter other than the quality you'll be showing to your viewers game-wise. The most important stuff is CPU model/specs, RAM/HDD, your sustained upload speed, and whether you have a capture card or not.

Xenavire
09-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Ram is 4GB DDR2.

HDD is a bit hazy, think it is 250gb primary, 1tb secondary (which I store and play my games on/from.)

Sustained upload I would estimate at least 3mbs, max being 5.8 but I will look into it.

CPU is Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz

No capture cards, just using OBS. Ask if anything needs to be double checked.

Kami
09-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Ram is 4GB DDR2.

HDD is a bit hazy, think it is 250gb primary, 1tb secondary (which I store and play my games on/from.)

Sustained upload I would estimate at least 3mbs, max being 5.8 but I will look into it.

CPU is Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz

No capture cards, just using OBS. Ask if anything needs to be double checked.

Try this:

Resolution: 852x480@30fps (maybe 960x540@30fps at most - you may even need to drop to 25fps if you're hitting 100% CPU usage).
Video Bitrate (CBR): 1500bps-2000kbps (depending on what works best for you)
x264 Preset: veryfast
Keyframe Interval: 2 seconds
Audio Bitrate (AAC) 96kbps

[Note: Since you're using OBS, use the Resolution Downscale feature with Lanczos Filter. Additionally, if you're streaming, don't record locally simultaneously.]

You're pretty much bottlenecked by your CPU and not having a capture card at this point. And in that order too.

RAM and HDD is okay for now but in the future you'll want at least 8GB of RAM of DDR3-1600 or higher. HDD is mostly so you have some cache space - not a huge issue.

Ideally you'd want at least a 3rd-Generation Intel Core i5 and a capture card.

Xenavire
09-09-2013, 06:50 AM
Right, I will test those settings shortly. Not too worried about Hex, but I may stream other things in the future. That might mean investing in a new machine, but thats a ways off.

Thanks for all the help, I will be back for help if things go wrong.

Xenavire
09-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Right, I will test those settings shortly. Not too worried about Hex, but I may stream other things in the future. That might mean investing in a new machine, but thats a ways off.

Thanks for all the help, I will be back for help if things go wrong.

No things have gone horribly wrong so far, but I thought I should update.

First test with Magic 2014 is looking very nice, will test a few more things and report back. The settings seem more or less bang on the money, thanks a lot!

StiX
09-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Xenavire told me you helped him. We are from the same website/guild and I was wondering if you could help me too.
For now I've only streamed PS3 games and I never got pc games to work properly.

I do have a "Roxio HD Game Capture card Pro" But i never got it to work for my pc. (if this will help xenavire, he could use it too.) But that card is officially for game consoles.

I rather stream without it though. Unless it's really needed. I'm using the same programs as Xenavire and we are not planning to stream at the same time I just want to set it up. I want to use his settings but Xenavire told me to post here for a better set up for my PC. This is also my first post, so my aplogies.

here are my PC specs:

intel core i5 3470 CPU @3.20GHz (4CPUs)~ 3.2ghz (I just have 1CPU, i'm not sure why it says that using DXdiag. maybebecause its a quad core.)
XFX AMD Radeon HD 7870 Black Edition Overclocked Double Disipation (2GB Vram)
8GB RAM DDR3
1 TB of total HDD space in two partitions.
1680x1050 resolution.
Upload :: 4.7 Mbps 592 kB/s

thanks in advance.

Kami
09-09-2013, 08:20 AM
I do have a "Roxio HD Game Capture card Pro" But i never got it to work for my pc. (if this will help xenavire, he could use it too.) But that card is officially for game consoles.

Yeah, currently there isn't an easy way to use that for PC streaming. Not to mention using software other than Roxio's stuff to stream is currently a mess due to the way their device works.

I'm using the same programs as Xenavire and we are not planning to stream at the same time I just want to set it up. I want to use his settings but Xenavire told me to post here for a better set up for my PC. This is also my first post, so my aplogies.

here are my PC specs:

intel core i5 3470 CPU @3.20GHz (4CPUs)~ 3.2ghz (I just have 1CPU, i'm not sure why it says that using DXdiag. maybebecause its a quad core.)
XFX AMD Radeon HD 7870 Black Edition Overclocked Double Disipation (2GB Vram)
8GB RAM DDR3
1 TB of total HDD space in two partitions.
1680x1050 resolution.

thanks in advance.

Try:

Resolution: 960x540@30fps and maybe 1280x720@30fps - if you don't max out your CPU usage (dependent on game).
Video Bitrate (CBR): 2000bps-2500kbps (depending on what works best for you)
x264 Preset: veryfast
Keyframe Interval: 2 seconds
Audio Bitrate (AAC) 96kbps

Keep in mind that depending on what you stream, how you capture your source is very important and you have to play around with it. In OBS, you have both the ability to do Game Capture, Window Capture (requires Aero enabled), and Monitor Capture.

Generally speaking Game Capture is the first choice but compatibility may be an issue (even in XSplit).

In your case, you're only limited by not having a capture card and maybe just a bit of sustained upload bandwidth (4mbps sustained would be optimal - if you ever decided to stream 1080p@30fps or higher when you have a capture card). Yeah, software capture eats a chunk of resources, unfortunately, and on top of that, you're encoding for stream simultaneously.

H3avyM3talH3r0
09-11-2013, 01:05 PM
I have been using http://www.ffsplit.com/. It is free and open-source. It can be set up to stream to Twitch or Youtube as well as some other services.

I tried OBS in the past but it doesn't have as many features as ffsplit.

Mokog
09-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Since we are sharing rig specs I am streaming with this hardware:
CPU:Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
System Memory:17.13 GB
Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
Video Card Memory:4.24 GB
Windows 8 OS using XSplit
Max upload is 3 MB average is 2.4 MB

That runs capture, stream, & webcam. From what I researched on the issue the CPU is one of the biggest bottle necks for streaming. A gen 3 I5 processer from intel is probably the lowest one that could run 1080p for streaming smoothly. Streaming is a damn PC intensive hobby. It is fun though :-)

QuantumZeruul
09-12-2013, 12:48 AM
I've not done any Twitch streaming (yet) myself, but the videos I record for Youtube (mainly Minecraft) is recorded on Dxtory using the Lagarith Lossless Codec and edited with Adobe Creative Suite. I would recommend that regardless of which direction you go that you see about getting the best audio quality you can get. From what I have seen (anicedotal evidence at best) people are much more likely to watch lower quality video with better audio than the opposite.

If you plan on uploading to Youtube, or any other site, I would recommend to do some post recording editing to remove background static/hum/noise on audio if nothing else. Recording audio with a secondary track is very helpful for this, and can make it fairly painless.

I've also used FRAPS and Bandicam to record video, and they both do good jobs of it as well.

Kami
09-12-2013, 04:16 AM
A gen 3 I5 processer from intel is probably the lowest one that could run 1080p for streaming smoothly.

Nah, that's only if you're doing a single PC setup with no capture card. With a capture card, you can easily do 1080p@30fps with even a 2nd-generation Sandy Bridge (i.e. 2500k/2600k).

People underestimate how much load a capture card can take off because software capture is inefficient. On the flip-side, software encoding (i.e. x.264) is more efficient than current hardware based solutions but that's still CPU intensive.

Xenavire
09-12-2013, 04:22 AM
Kami, the streaming guru.

You should set up shop as a streaming help line.

ExInferis
09-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Any suggestions on a good capture card that works well in Win 8 64-bit environment?

jetah
09-12-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm just glad my rig doesn't require a capture card...

I don't see HEX requiring much in lines of resolution needed. Resolution downscale could always be done too. I'm just curious how well text will be viewable on the Alpha client. I watched the UI video and I'm not able to read the text. I know part of my problem is using a TV which sits around 6' from me.

Kami
09-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Any suggestions on a good capture card that works well in Win 8 64-bit environment?

For single PC setup (in other words, you stream/game on the same machine), probably the AverMedia Live Gamer HD. Keep in mind that it only accepts HDMI input/output with 3.5mm in/out for audio.

You can also consider the AverMedia Live Gamer Portable which gives you a few more options in terms of connectors - useful for streaming PS3 for example which is HDCP restricted and can't capture via HDMI.

For standalone capture/stream machines (i.e. dedicated machine for capture/streaming), you have several options. The most popular is the AverMedia Game Broadcaster HD. The next most popular would be the Blackmagic Design's Intensity Pro.