PDA

View Full Version : Equipment effects reflected on cards

Purpherb
09-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Just wondering if the effects of the equipment will be reflected on the cards in game. I feel like the easiest way would be to have the text be a different color and simply write it on the card or change the wording of the description. Also, during the Wild West tournaments will the effects be visible to player and opponent? Or do you all think it should be hidden from the opponent or handled some other way.

hex_colin
09-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Just wondering if the effects of the equipment will be reflected on the cards in game. I feel like the easiest way would be to have the text be a different color and simply write it on the card or change the wording of the description.

I kinda like this idea. I know for sure that we won't see any change to the art as a result of equipping equipment.

Shadowelf
09-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Just wondering if the effects of the equipment will be reflected on the cards in game. I feel like the easiest way would be to have the text be a different color and simply write it on the card or change the wording of the description. Also, during the Wild West tournaments will the effects be visible to player and opponent? Or do you all think it should be hidden from the opponent or handled some other way.

They haven't mentioned whether there will be visual effects to differentiate cards according to the stuff equiped on them; what they have said is that there will be a double back system; you will be able to click on a card to check what kind of equipment is modifying that card (also trophies, achievements )

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:42:25

Xtopher
09-08-2013, 06:09 PM
It should be self-evident during play. I can't imagine having to click to look at the back of each of my opponent's cards in play to make sure there's not some hidden equipment.

keldrin
09-08-2013, 06:20 PM
It should be self-evident during play. I can't imagine having to click to look at the back of each of my opponent's cards in play to make sure there's not some hidden equipment.
I agree. At the very very least, there has to be something to indicate you need to click and look at the back of the card.

hex_colin
09-08-2013, 06:39 PM

No equipment in the vast majority of PVP, and no weird PVP with equipment formats planned for launch either. Also, to the best of my knowledge PVE opponents (Dungeon and Raid) won't have equipment either - instead, they have specialized AI-only cards that likely give them abilities similar to those the equipment bestows (and that you'll be able to read normally just by clicking on them).

So, you're worried about a problem that won't exist. The only potential problem is making sure there's a reminder for yourself so that you know what equipment you're using.

jetah
09-08-2013, 06:40 PM
we could have aura's around said cards indicating they are being modified (either by heros' armor or directly attached equipment).

Purpherb
09-08-2013, 06:51 PM
No equipment in the vast majority of PVP, and no weird PVP with equipment formats planned for launch either.

I know they confirmed the Wild West format to use pve cards, I assumed that would also include equipment. Have they actually said no equipment for that format of competition?

BongoBong
09-08-2013, 06:52 PM
No equipment in the vast majority of PVP, and no weird PVP with equipment formats planned for launch either. Also, to the best of my knowledge PVE opponents (Dungeon and Raid) won't have equipment either - instead, they have specialized AI-only cards that likely give them abilities similar to those the equipment bestows (and that you'll be able to read normally just by clicking on them).

So, you're worried about a problem that won't exist. The only potential problem is making sure there's a reminder for yourself so that you know what equipment you're using.

I thought they have mentioned an "everything goes" PVP format where you can use all your PVE cards and equipment though.

Shadowelf
09-08-2013, 06:54 PM
I know they confirmed the Wild West format to use pve cards, I assumed that would also include equipment. Have they actually said no equipment for that format of competition?

No wild west format will definately be played with equipped cards

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:10:05

hex_colin
09-08-2013, 07:07 PM
No wild west format will definately be played with equipped cards

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:10:05

But that format won't be available at launch IIRC.

ramseytheory
09-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Wasn't there one interview that talked about a dungeon that was like an arena, and the idea was to fight other champions with their own equipment?

Gwaer
09-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Nah, that dungeon you'll be fighting with a custom deck that you basically draft, there probably won't be any equipment in it at all, but it's also vs an ai drafted deck, not a person.

Cazychel
09-08-2013, 11:38 PM

No, for me it should be clearly visible, what every card does. In PVP it will be that way anyway, and hopefully for the WildWest "anything goes" as well, because nothing is as frustrating as hidden information in a game all about strategy and outsmarting your opponent. There will be some really brutal equipments out there and if you run into them blindly, because you could not see on the card what it actually does, you will not have fun with the game - or that part of the game at least. (This is not even unrealistic: YuGi-Oh! does do this, because many cards have so-called "Rulings" that describe the functionality of that card, while contradicting or extending on the actual text of the card or retconning them to work differently, i.e. hidden information about what the card does. That is the worst of mistakes you can make, in my eyes.)

This will be Hex TCG's greatest advantage over physical cards: You can change any card retro-actively if needed, you can show the effects of equipment and gems and other stuff on the card itself.

Color-coding additional effect would be nice, so you can still see, what the basic card does and what is added to it. For the Wild West format this is very interesting, because you can piece together, what equipment the opponent has and what can be excluded (because the slot is occupied by another card's equip).

But: The equipment itself should not be visible by the opponent! This is very important, because otherwise they could anticipate what deck you're playing, how you're playing it and what cards to expect. Both can do this, of course, but then you could show them your deck up front, anyway.

ossuary
09-09-2013, 04:48 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much how I would want it. The cards themselves, once played, show all the effects modifying them, but it shouldn't be visible beforehand which equipment a player is using. But as others have said, this won't be an issue for some time, as the Wild West format (whatever they end up calling it) won't be available right away - plenty of time to work out the details.

Shadowelf
09-09-2013, 05:12 AM

Very true, but that doesn't change the fact that you will be playing your cards equipped ;)

Wasn't there one interview that talked about a dungeon that was like an arena, and the idea was to fight other champions with their own equipment?

Yeap here is it ; https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-geek-allstars/id446568794?ign-mpt=uo%3D4 episode 54 check 0:30:15

Actually that was most probably this article, and the quote you remember is this ;You will face a wide variety of opponents in The Arena of the Mountain God, each a master of their own particular fighting style. (http://hextcg.com/enter-the-arena/)

New info suggests that arena will be a draft dungeon http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:12:48

Diesbudt
09-09-2013, 06:08 AM

I could get behind this idea. This may help people know what abilities the cards have instead of remembering what equipment they have equipped.

BongoBong
09-09-2013, 06:51 AM

Very true, but that doesn't change the fact that you will be playing your cards equipped ;)

Interesting. Seems kind of odd to me not to have it at launch since I would assume it would not be very hard to add it in the game.

But yah, if its coming at some point, they might as well have it set up and ready for the eventuality.

Lazybum
09-09-2013, 07:04 AM
if the hearthstone game can change the text of cards with added spell power and such im sure hex can do the same since it will be alot more complex, or at least i hope it will. hearthstone is fun for a bit but gets old after awhile, least for me it did, not much to do in the beta and i assume its a limited amount of the cards. really looking forward to hex and the pve side of it

Yoss
09-11-2013, 10:09 AM
This is a good idea and should apply to all card modifiers (equipment, gems, permanent mods, etc).

Purpherb
09-11-2013, 01:39 PM
So i was watching a stream of one of the duels the developers had. During the fight the guyused the card that makes it so a crd cannot block or attack. When he played the card on an enemy monster he pulled up the card and the card than said 'This card cannot attack' and 'This card cannot block'. So my guess is the equipment will work exactly like that.