PDA

View Full Version : My twitch test streams, please let me know what you all think :)

havocattack
09-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi all,

After fiddling around with twitch and OBS (thanks for the suggestion in the other thread guys) I did a couple of test streams where I did some drafts using the hex-datamine.com site (great work with that site guys!)

Basically, did the drafts and talked a bit about my choices and then talked a bit about hex and my guild Elementary in the second video towards the end. I ran it at 1920x1080 at 10fps (figured would be ok since cards games are mostly static and wanted text readability as a high priority)

Would really appreciate what you guys think of the sound/video quality and my commentary in general :)

When alpha starts I plan to be streaming practically all the time with hopefully TONS of drafting :)

Here is the 2 vids I recorded so far:
http://www.twitch.tv/hexedhavoc/b/458914857
http://www.twitch.tv/hexedhavoc/b/458926051

Thanks!

Havoc
Elementary

Gwaer
09-09-2013, 11:51 AM
OBS is my fav. I only listened to the first 30seconds ish, need to work on your mic/audio. Otherwise looks pretty good.

havocattack
09-09-2013, 11:57 AM
you mean the background hum?

Gwaer
09-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Nah, that's not so bad. Mainly you just sound very far away from your microphone, and kind of echo-ey.

Gimick
09-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Has it been stated somewhere by Cryptozoic that streaming is okay as part of the NDA for Alpha? Seems a bit early in development for that...

Gwaer
09-09-2013, 01:19 PM
There isn't going to be an NDA for alpha. At least that was the last word I heard.

havocattack
09-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Hmm, volume seems fine for me when I play it back? XD

zadies
09-09-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't actually remember seeing any streaming/NDA comments made directly from them about alpha only about the beta which people have inferred has meant alpha would have the same rules due to replacing the release date.

Shadowelf
09-09-2013, 02:35 PM
I don't actually remember seeing any streaming/NDA comments made directly from them about alpha only about the beta which people have inferred has meant alpha would have the same rules due to replacing the release date.

Well they will be streaming Alpha themselves prior to delivering it to us; there is no point of not allowing us to do the same. It will only be good for the game to spread the word and increase hype and awareness (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts upadte #45)

hex_colin
09-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Has it been stated somewhere by Cryptozoic that streaming is okay as part of the NDA for Alpha? Seems a bit early in development for that...

There's a post on the front page specifically about this topic: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27400
Cory, Ben, and Chris have all independently confirmed that we'll be able to stream in Alpha. In person. With actual words. :)

Zadies - you have no excuse! You posted in the thread referenced above! ;)

Umaro
09-09-2013, 02:40 PM
The volume is pretty low. Other than that, clarity sounds decent. I'll watch/listen to the rest when I'm not at work later.

Gwaer
09-09-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm currently testing my stream at twitch.tv/gwaer if you want to give it some critiques, doing a quick aram for quality check.

hex_colin
09-09-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm currently testing my stream at twitch.tv/gwaer if you want to give it some critiques, doing a quick aram for quality check.

Audio is really clear for me. Video is great too actually.

havocattack
09-09-2013, 02:53 PM
looks good :) curse my aussie internet xD

Shadowelf
09-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Audio is crystal clear for me Gwaer, vid is a bit laggy though; but it could be my pc or connection...

Gwaer
09-09-2013, 03:12 PM
I think I may have had my processing set a bit too high. I'll have to watch it and see. I was noticing some screen tearing when I moved my cam.

felmare
09-09-2013, 03:14 PM
looked good man

jetah
09-09-2013, 05:10 PM
@havocattack - I'll have to agree with others, your voice is low for me. Might want to work on that. But when the Alpha hits, you can always ask any viewers (those people that watch) if you're mic is good.

Puggz
09-09-2013, 05:45 PM
All working fine mate, for all those saying his mic doesn't sound right for the recording its ok he sounds like that all the time :)

Where your sexy face though havoc? Can't be a streamer without a webcam :P

Xenavire
09-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Is it really so common for streamers to speak during their streams? (I have no mic and I am most definitely gun shy about speaking over the internet, especially when I am playing something.)

I doubt I will ever be popular, but I will be a little upset if all my viewers keep requesting that I speak.

Gwaer
09-09-2013, 06:00 PM
I don't know of any streamers that don't speak.

You can of course do whatever you like. Educating is a pretty big part of the job most of the time, discussing what you're thinking and why.

zadies
09-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Yes I do remember that thread...and everyone did agree that you had the most face time with them then anyone not related/employed by them so you would know, but really that is second hand word of mouth inference didn't say that they were wrong saying streaming would be allowed during alpha only not officially announced.

I think streaming during alpha is a good idea once they are assured of server stability.

I feel day 0 streaming may turn out badly no matter how well intentioned the streamer might be.

Also I agree with them about the volume.

BongoBong
09-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Is it really so common for streamers to speak during their streams? (I have no mic and I am most definitely gun shy about speaking over the internet, especially when I am playing something.)

I doubt I will ever be popular, but I will be a little upset if all my viewers keep requesting that I speak.

Definitely need to be speaking if you want people to watch.

Xenavire
09-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Definitely need to be speaking if you want people to watch.

Does anyone know why? Because for lets plays, I see a lot of people asking for versions without anyone speaking. Why is streaming different?

( I do know some casual streamers will talk via the chatbox and just put music on, etc.)

Gwaer
09-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Lets play is very different. You could definitely just make live lets play vids without a mic. Might start a fad.

BongoBong
09-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Does anyone know why? Because for lets plays, I see a lot of people asking for versions without anyone speaking. Why is streaming different?

( I do know some casual streamers will talk via the chatbox and just put music on, etc.)

Well, I believe its mainly for the interaction.I was too definite with my statement and there likely are people who are happy to watch someone play with no talking, but I don't think that's the norm. If you are the very best at a popular game you could probably get away with it, and once you get enough viewers the viewers can just chat with themselves. Overall though I think you would definitely be at a disadvantage if you don't talk a bit while streaming.

jetah
09-09-2013, 10:32 PM
it's difficult to text chat and play your game. With a 30m timer for turns, you might get away with it but I hope your typing skills are up there.

havocattack
09-09-2013, 11:13 PM
I have mic boost off so that's why it may sound quiet (sounds loud enough for me with my headphones tho)
If I enable mic boost it amplifies my background hum from my pc and stuff too much though... hmmm :/

havocattack
09-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Realised I can boost it in OBS so that made it better :)

nekoangel
09-10-2013, 03:29 AM
nice work to all the guys that linked streams!

i think were all heavily getting into his now hah.

voice was low on yours havoc but screen was great just like gwaer's, and on the topic of talking ive read alot about people that dont but most recommend you do so you get a connection to the audience and they can gain a sense of what your like as a person which they can get along with.

me personally i might test with sol forge for a while in some tournaments and some casual games and then move into hex territory, also planing on adding a camera on my end so i can be seen by the viewers and that should reduce the need for a headset as well.

havocattack
09-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Did another stream where a fellow guildie (Taron, thx mate) and myself talked about Hex and what it has to offer, more trying to introduce new people to the game... it can be viewed here: http://www.twitch.tv/hexedhavoc/c/2905603

Hopefully will get it up on youtube soon ^_^

Hopefully volume is better than previous

nekoangel
09-10-2013, 07:55 AM
everything looks ace, whats your stream setting? i feel like im getting low quality when ive tested mine.