PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics: Random

Gaver
09-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Currently do we know how HEX is planned to handle "random" effects? Specifically regarding creating cards/troops from a random pool and the choice of cards across formats and tokens.

For example Uzume, who creates random Shin'hares, if used in a draft setting will she only pull from the current draft set? In tournament PvP will she respect the format limitations? In PvE will she pull in PvE only Shin'Hare or even NPC only ones? Can she make Shin'Hare that are only available in token form? (I think that may be a yes if you can make bunnyhoppers)
Similar questions exist for Comsic Transmorgifier.

I think it is a no brainier to limit this to formats in PvP, but I'm sure there are good arguments on both sides for tokens or PvE only stuff.

Thoughts?

Xenavire
09-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Well, technically there are no more tokens, only 'created cards' which is exactly what Uzume would be making. So I think all legal cards would be available, but it depends on what is considered legal in different formats.

Still, a great question. I would assume Wild west/PvE would allow anything, Draft would allow cards from that booster set, sealed would get the same treatment. Constructed would be the current block. Seems the logical assumption until we hear otherwise.

Gaver
09-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Well "Tokens" as I am referring to them, and as I think will become the vocabulary, simply mean cards that are only created from other cards or are temporarily in play, not to be taken with you after the match.

Also raising another question about transformed cards, as those sit in a grey area between tokens and cards. Will the flipped sides be available to be randomed into? My guess is not.

Xenavire
09-10-2013, 12:14 PM
I would assume transformed cards would default to the base version, then change as you meeet the criteria as a normal card would.

"Created cards" is a more accurate description (as Black Tiger is created by Spectral Lotus, and you keep the tigers.) But I can imagine MTG players would default to calling them tokens - I am guilty of that, as are many others I am sure.

Umaro
09-10-2013, 12:23 PM
So far, I think every card has a cost associated with it, so my assumption is that random effects like Transmogrifier and Inspiration Engine can make any and all of their respective targets.