PDA

View Full Version : Ruby/Wild/Sapphire Deck

Icepick
09-10-2013, 02:05 PM
So I had an idea for a deck while writing my latest Casual Hex article which basically involved using Cerebral Fulmination to try and spam as many Pack Raptors and Ancestral Spectres onto the battlefield as possible, so I figured I would give it a go!

Deck list here! (http://www.hex-datamine.com/deck.php?s=43,46,47,62,70,83,93,95,96,140,185,211, 270,279,281,295&qt=4,4,2,2,1,3,5,8,8,2,3,2,2,4,2,4)

Note: the database doesn't have Cerebral Fulmination added yet, so the deck should have 4 of them in there.

Honestly, I have no idea if this deck will work at all (3-shard decks are tricky at the best of times.) A few of the cards are mostly filler and just added because I think they may be vaguely useful (Command Tower, Chaos Key, Buccaneer and Countermagic to a certain extent, though I'm reasonably happy with those 2.) The resource distribution is probably a little off too - I didn't do any real calculations on it and just eye-balled it.

As I said, the strategy here is to start playing as many Pack Raptors and Ancestral Spectres (vis The Ancestors Chosen) as soon as possible by using one or more Cerebral Fulminations to just rip everything straight out of the deck. The Burns, Ragefires and Burn To The Grounds, along with the Buccaneer and Countermagics are to help keep a reign on the opponent's troops (and finish off the Champion at the end if needs be.) Dream Dances are to help keep things flowing quickly and the Shrine is just for general buffing. Haven't really decided on a Champion though I was thinking of Running Deer just for a little health buff, as none of the others fit very well.

So, thoughts? Any replacement suggestions for those filler cards especially appreciated.

vulture27
09-10-2013, 02:45 PM
This seems very similar to the Ebonrock / Technical Genius PVE deck that many people have suggested. I'm not sure I see any way to make a viable PvP deck out of it given the available cards.

As for Cerebral Fulmination specifically, I hate this card so very much. Your opponent gets to draw a card from it first. It is gurenteed card advantage for your opponent, and you lose tempo by spending the mana on an effect that does nothing to improve your board. This type of card has a place in big multiplayer matches by making everyone like you for a beneficial effect, but 1v1 it is never good.

Falaris
09-12-2013, 11:05 AM
It's definitely not 'never good'. There are situations where Howling Mine effects have been powerful. There has even been a time where a Howling Mine-oriented deck was a Tier 1 deck, and one of the best decks of the Standard format (Owling Mine). Typically this type of effect is useful when you either care about how many cards are in your opponents hand, has a way to negatively impact your opponent by drawing cards (such as the 6 drop flyer previewed here), or in a quick direct damage deck where the cards your opponent draws isn't as relevant as you drawing burn early in the game.

vulture27
09-12-2013, 02:56 PM
It's definitely not 'never good'. There are situations where Howling Mine effects have been powerful. There has even been a time where a Howling Mine-oriented deck was a Tier 1 deck, and one of the best decks of the Standard format (Owling Mine). Typically this type of effect is useful when you either care about how many cards are in your opponents hand, has a way to negatively impact your opponent by drawing cards (such as the 6 drop flyer previewed here), or in a quick direct damage deck where the cards your opponent draws isn't as relevant as you drawing burn early in the game.

Fair enough, but nothing like the Owling Mine deck is possible at this point in hex. This is also a far different use then what the OP intends, which is using it as a source of personal card draw.

Icepick
09-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Yeah this obviously isn't an Owling Mine situation (though that would be cool if it became possible to do that in Hex), but more a deck that revolves around filling your deck with incredibly potent 1 cost creatures (Pack Raptor and Ancestral Spectre in this case.)
Honestly it could probably work without Cerebral Fulmination, if I got some traditional card draw effects in there, I just thought it would be interesting to try it out.