PDA

View Full Version : What will people use as Shard abbreviations?

EntropyBall
09-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I've seen people toss around a few different systems, and I'm sure that Hex will have some abbreviations in the client somewhere that become the standard, but I figured it'd be interesting to talk about in the meantime. Or perhaps there is already some gameplay footage of the deck manager that shows what abbreviations are being used?

What will be the standard shortcuts for the shards? Will people just carry over MTG terms and call them RBGUW (Red Black Green Blue White), will they be based on the shard name and go RBWSD (Ruby Blood Wild Sapphire Diamond), or will they use the colors of Hex and go RPGBW (Red Purple Green Blue White). Personally, I'm hoping for the last one since I think it will be more natural for non-MTG players while still being a smaller deviation from MTG terms.

Gwaer
09-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Ragefire, Zombie plague, Succulent Wild-Root Dancersaur, Dingler, Soul marble.

RZSDM will obviously become the default notation.

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-11-2013, 12:05 PM
I'd imagine going with the actual shard names. B(lood), W(ild), R(uby), S(apphire), D(iamond). Combined, you get some form of BWRSD.

Shadowelf
09-11-2013, 12:37 PM
I'd imagine going with the actual shard names. B(lood), W(ild), R(uby), S(apphire), D(iamond). Combined, you get some form of BWRSD.

This will be the most reasonable choice and it's also a good thing that those abbreviations don't coincide between themselves just like mtg's do (black and blue, so you had to use b for black and u for blue )

MoikPEI
09-11-2013, 12:44 PM
I've been using BDWRS (Blood, Diamond, Wild, Red, Sapphire).
I can see people using BGPRW (Blue, Green, Purple, Red, White).

Cazychel
09-11-2013, 01:23 PM
We could just use WUBRG..... White(Diamond), Blue (Sapphire), Black (Blood), Red (Ruby), Green (Wild). Even the MtG flavors of each color would fit nicely. ^.^

Okay, most likely we'll use BDWRS.
(Hm, what would be a good mnemonic for that? "Beat down white rabbits, sir!")

Hemotherapy
09-11-2013, 01:31 PM
We could just use WUBRG..... White(Diamond), Blue (Sapphire), Black (Blood), Red (Ruby), Green (Wild). Even the MtG flavors of each color would fit nicely. ^.^

Okay, most likely we'll use BDWRS.
(Hm, what would be a good mnemonic for that? "Beat down white rabbits, sir!")

OR...

Corey Will Back Subscribers Random Demands

;)

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-11-2013, 01:32 PM
As much as I like that this game is similar to Magic (and it's one of the main reasons I kickstarted), I personally think it'd be good to deviate from Magic and go the BDWRS route. Y'know, for Hex's own individuality. Plus I'm pretty sure no Hex dev has actually called the shard by color, so it'd be a completely community derived thing if we went that route.

Malicus
09-11-2013, 01:34 PM
BWRDS (so you can say B Words) is what I use. Maybe "Baked With Rodney Dangerfield Son" if you need a mnemonic.

BossHoss
09-11-2013, 01:35 PM
I see Double D breastesses...

W D BRS

Hemotherapy
09-11-2013, 01:37 PM
I see Double D breastesses...

W D BRS

Reaching...

Yasi
09-11-2013, 01:42 PM
When would you have the need to use all the Shard's abbreviations though...And isn't the Blood Shard purple?

EntropyBall
09-11-2013, 02:28 PM
When would you have the need to use all the Shard's abbreviations though...And isn't the Blood Shard purple?

You wouldn't use them all at once, but when I'm labeling my decks I'll call them something like "BW Control". Which, to me, means Black-White Control, since I'm used to MTG. But other people may look at it and see "Blood-Wild Control" or "Blue-White Control". While an RPGBW color system is intuitive for me, I think people are right that it makes the most sense to abbreviate by shard name, SWRBD (Swing With Really Big Dragon).

Westane
09-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Personally, I have been and will continue to use MTG terminology. I understand giving the game its own identity, but it's so burnt into my mind that I'm just going to leave my brain fried. A Troop that costs [5] mana with a double Wild threshold that has Crush, 3 attack and 2 defense is, and will forever be, a 3/2 Creature with Trample for 3GG. He'll be a fine addition to my Naya, Jund or RUG deck... >.>

ossuary
09-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Personally, I still pretty much think of them as Red, Blue, Green, Black, and White. :p

It's part of why I still say blood should have been red, and they should have picked another color for the 3rd Hex shard, like an orange or yellow topaz (but as I've also said before, I understand why they didn't, because ruby diamond sapphire are the 3 most commonly known and recognized gem colors, which also happen to be reasonably close in rarity / value).

Aradon
09-11-2013, 08:17 PM
I still call them by their magic colors, and will probably keep my MtG naming conventions, and go with WUBRG. When talking to others about Wild vs. White I've been defaulting to saying the whole thing as either Wild or Diamond, but if it's a green-red deck, that's GR to me, not WR. WR refers to diamond-ruby :P

Niedar
09-11-2013, 08:22 PM
I think going with color abbreviations is the best for me with blood being purple.

ossuary
09-11-2013, 08:23 PM
I still call them by their magic colors, and will probably keep my MtG naming conventions, and go with WUBRG. When talking to others about Wild vs. White I've been defaulting to saying the whole thing as either Wild or Diamond, but if it's a green-red deck, that's GR to me, not WR. WR refers to diamond-ruby :P

For some reason, I could never remember the Magic colors going around clockwise; in my head, I always saw the design as a star, so it was natural for me to read them in the same order you draw a star (starting at bottom left with red). This pattern is also handy to remember the enemies, since when you draw it as a star, you're always moving from enemy to enemy: red, blue, green, black, white.

Skirovik
09-11-2013, 08:26 PM
I think to avoid confusion (as already seen in this thread), sticking with shard names is probably best. Therefore, any abbreviations should be based on these.

I know long-time magic players are used to using the colours, but hopefully it won't be much of a stretch to learn the new terminology. :)

Heck, from the most recent videos I've been watching, a lot of those habits have already died. I always enjoy watching videos/streams a lot more when the user/announcer/commentator is using the shard names instead of the colours.

Svenn
09-12-2013, 06:31 AM
None, I hate abbreviations. I type fast enough that I can just type out Blood, Wild, Ruby, Diamond, Sapphire or Purple, Green, Red, White, Blue.

Dropbear
09-12-2013, 07:36 AM
ISO-9001 for Card Powers

[2]RR = 2 Mana, 2 Ruby Threshold.
[4]S = 4 Mana, 1 Sapphire Threshold

May be shortened to 2RR or 4S.

Use DRSBW at ALL TIMES to distinguish between the two systems. Do not use colours as W stands for Wild OR White and B stands for Black, Blue OR Blood to confuse people.

Leingod
09-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Definitely gonna agree with using shards for abbreviations in public. If you are talking to long time magic players in private, then colors would probably be fine. But if you are streaming or something, shard abbreviations make the most sense and also doesn't add to the "Hex is Magic" idea.

I also like the above method for cost+threshold format. Though that would get confusing for tcg players coming into hex for a bit lol.

ossuary
09-12-2013, 08:50 AM
I would think that the longhand would make more sense if it were listed as 4[SS] instead of [4]SS, personally. The threshold cost is parenthesized, since it's not an extra cost. The 4 is the amount you actually pay, so it should be a straight number. If you spoke it out loud, it would be the same: 4 cost, with a threshold of 2 sapphire: 4[SS].

EntropyBall
09-12-2013, 01:16 PM
I would think that the longhand would make more sense if it were listed as 4[SS] instead of [4]SS, personally. The threshold cost is parenthesized, since it's not an extra cost. The 4 is the amount you actually pay, so it should be a straight number. If you spoke it out loud, it would be the same: 4 cost, with a threshold of 2 sapphire: 4[SS].

I don't see the value of brackets there. There is no ambiguity about what there is 4 of, and brackets are a pain to type.

Deciphered
09-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Just going to hop in and show my support for using shard names (BWRDS). I may have a hard time breaking myself of some Magic terms, like "tap", but we have to remember that not everyone coming to this game will be coming from a Magic background, and if we want them to be able to participate in the community, then forcing them to learn that "U" is short for "Sapphire" or other such nonsensical things seems like a really really bad idea.

Remember, this game will live or die purely on the number of people playing it. If we still want to be playing Hex in a year, we should all be doing everything we can to be welcoming to new players, even (and especially!) players with no Magic or other TCG experience. Learning the resource names seems like a small concession.

HellFro
09-13-2013, 08:22 AM
I wholeheartedly agree.