PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Data from the game (would enable better community features)

LNQ
09-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Has there been any discussion about exporting data from HEX? Considering the amount of love CZE has for us players and the community with guilds, tournaments etc, I would like to think there's a possibility that exporting data is made user friendly in HEX.

I'm talking about exporting profile / match stats (turns taken, cards played etc) etc into a readable format (XML?). This would enable those of us interested in creating fan sites, custom ladders, 3rd party tools and other apps to create & test great new statistical features for HEX out of love of the game.

Kami
09-12-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm actually hoping for something like this but I don't think anything has been confirmed yet.

MoikPEI
09-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Anything that would potentially enable a lolking.net for Hex would be aaaaawesome.
I would love to see the equivalent of the summoners/items/bot synergy charts.

LNQ
09-12-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm actually hoping for something like this but I don't think anything has been confirmed yet.

Ok. Considering it's a feature that potentially has a big positive impact on the community, I'm hopefully optimistic that we'll get something like this eventually. Maybe not at release, but soon after.

jetah
09-12-2013, 01:14 PM
There have been some people asking for API's that'd allow us to information to the game/character/account/etc.

Xenavire
09-12-2013, 01:45 PM
There have been some people asking for API's that'd allow us to information to the game/character/account/etc.

The people against it were concerned about what information could and would be used. As long as it is not unreasonable information, then I think it is fine. (Also, it would have to avoid opening any backdoors for hackers.)

MoikPEI
09-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Based on the LoL King chart tools, the kind of data I would wanna see would be:
- How often is a Shard played in a draft/constructed deck?
- What is the win rate of that shard in draft/constructed?
- How often are other shards played alongside that shard in draft/constructed?
- What is the win rate of that pairing?
- How often is a specific card played in a draft/constructed deck?
- What is the win rate of that specific card?
- What are the top 5 other cards which are most commonly also present in decks which contain that specific card?
- How often is a specific Champ picked in draft/constructed?
- What is the Win Rate for players who pick that Champ?
- What are the most common shards used by decks with that Champ?
- What are the five most common cards played in decks with that Champ?
- What are the Win Rates of those Champ/Card pairings?

Zophie
09-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Exporting deck lists for blog/forum use would be nice too. Or if our decks were viewable at a unique URL on Hex's website that we could link to (or even import into a community website), so people could see all the cards and achievements and everything would be cool.

Shadowelf
09-12-2013, 03:10 PM
There would definately be deck statistics http://hextcg.com/data-editor-paradise/

As for decklists

Question: So, from the very first day of Hex’s release, people will be playing draft, sealed, and constructed. It might be a little much to show us the results of every draft, but does the Hex team intend to have a way to easily see tournament results? A website (or even better, in client, and even better than that, that a program can automatically search and export for analysis) that has a clear list of every result and everyone’s decklist, or at least the top X winners.

Answer: Much like above, this is going to come down to what we think is best for the game. Some players will like having information to look at (usually the more hardcore tournament players) other, more casual types tend to not want as much “netdecking” available and want to discover things on their own. Who is a more important group of players for the game will in part determine the direction they choose. I remarked that the problem is smaller than it seems: casual players who don’t want to see this information tend to not go looking for it, and hardcore players who really want it will go to great lengths to find it. The casual players don’t need to use a resource if they don’t want to, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist for those who do, and thus there should be some sort of way to see decklists. Ben personally believes that giving the players more information is better than less. In terms of just serious tournament play, the theoretical problems that having lots of information creates (formats becoming fully discovered and going stale faster) can be solved by good set design, as well as belief that the players can continue to innovate in situations like that. (In fact, it may well be that having more information PROMOTES innovation and discovery, by letting you find a hole in the metagame that can be exploited, rather than just defaulting to the consensus “best” deck because you have no idea what it being played.) (http://hexmusings.wordpress.com/2013/08/25/designer-interview-part-2/)

jetah
09-12-2013, 03:30 PM
The people against it were concerned about what information could and would be used. As long as it is not unreasonable information, then I think it is fine. (Also, it would have to avoid opening any backdoors for hackers.)

That I'm aware of API is more like a RSS feed, or at least the ones I'm thinking of.

LNQ
09-12-2013, 03:39 PM
APIs can have data going both directions, but it's easy enough to make hackerproof APIs if all it needs to do is fetch data that is public anyways.