PDA

View Full Version : Virtual tickets for next year's events?

Yasi
09-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Blizzard doing their virtual ticket thing for their blizzcon and it would be great if Hex did something similar for their events next year for those who cant attend. I just want virtual cards.

Shadowelf
09-13-2013, 10:47 AM
What hex will be doing is this ;

What we’re doing is this: the sleeves are given out only if you attend the event, like a collectible convention badge (sleeves are going to be EARNED). The mercenaries and alternate art cards will be included in the booster pack treasure chests generated during the hours of the event (in the case of Gen Con 2014, it would be 12 AM Thursday to 11:59 PM Sunday, across all four days of the convention).
Now, I know this creates a bit of a problem for Gen Con 2013 since you won’t be able to open booster packs during this time. So, in this case, we will add GenCon 2013 to the loot table of GenCon 2014. (http://hextcg.com/exclusives-treasure-and-mercenaries/)

So no need for virtual tickets :)

Harmonica
09-13-2013, 10:52 AM
sucks to live outside of NA :(
well maybe they will attend RPC or Gamescom in the future.

jetah
09-13-2013, 12:28 PM
What the OP wants is the opportunity to gain the Sleeve without having to pay for flight, hotel and transportation (time off from work or skipping out on school) to the convention. Crypto could sell virtual tickets which would grant the person the sleeve plus any other near GenCon exclusive (up to Crypto of course). GenCon could sell virtual tickets which would allow the viewer to stream any video much like Blizzcon has (this is something that GenCon would have to work out.)

The only reason why it works for BlizzCon is because Blizzard is overseeing everything of their convention. With Crypto and gencon, Crypto is just a guest at the convention. But Crypto could sell virtual tickets that would/could grant those purchasers with the sleeve.

[edit]
It could be possible that Crypto chats with Gencon and is able to convince Gencom to do streaming of the event. Gencon would have to have a way to tell Crypto who purchased vtickets.

Diesbudt
09-13-2013, 12:45 PM
What the OP wants is the opportunity to gain the Sleeve without having to pay for flight, hotel and transportation (time off from work or skipping out on school) to the convention. Crypto could sell virtual tickets which would grant the person the sleeve plus any other near GenCon exclusive (up to Crypto of course). GenCon could sell virtual tickets which would allow the viewer to stream any video much like Blizzcon has (this is something that GenCon would have to work out.)

The only reason why it works for BlizzCon is because Blizzard is overseeing everything of their convention. With Crypto and gencon, Crypto is just a guest at the convention. But Crypto could sell virtual tickets that would/could grant those purchasers with the sleeve.

[edit]
It could be possible that Crypto chats with Gencon and is able to convince Gencom to do streaming of the event. Gencon would have to have a way to tell Crypto who purchased vtickets.

Except Gencon is just a massive convention floor. It doesn't have must to show via a stream. It isn't like blizzard where they can spend a whole day on 4 different panels explaining all the changes and new things for Warcraft. Then a whole day on D3. There is no "gencon" stream.

hex_colin
09-13-2013, 12:47 PM
sucks to live outside of NA :(
well maybe they will attend RPC or Gamescom in the future.

You could still go! I'm paying for someone from ANYWHERE in the world to attend HexCon. Surprised more people didn't enter the giveaway - their loss ;)

hacky
09-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Massive trollbait aside...

You are more likely to see Cryptozoic at a tabletop-focused convention than at a videogame-focused convention.

For Europe, that means Spiel Essen.

Xenavire
09-13-2013, 01:09 PM

You are more likely to see Cryptozoic at a tabletop-focused convention than at a videogame-focused convention.

They are going to have to change their tune on that front soon enough - it might be a TCG, but they are purely digital, and they need to represent themselves as such. Gamescom would be the best bet for Europe (I went this year, its freaking packed. At the peak part of the day it took 5 mins to get halfway across the open floor areas in a single room - even sardines would be cramped.)

But basically there is no way for them not to have a packed booth the whole day. And word of mouth at the con is also powerful - I found out about a ton of games I had never heard of before.

Shadowelf
09-13-2013, 01:19 PM
I would love if they go to Essen; i had plans of attending next year, and i'm already saving money towards that purpose. Where is GamesCom ?

Edit; never mind found it Cologne, Germany

GamesCom is huge; 340k attendants/visitors while Gencon had 160k. Wow !

http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/en/gamescom/presse/presseinformationen/gc_pressinformationen.php?aktion=pfach&p1id=kmpresse_gamescom_e&format=html&base=&tp=k3content&search=&pmid=kmeigen.kmpresse_1377444223&start=0&anzahl=10&channel=kmeigen&language=e

http://www.gencon.com/press/postshow2013

Harmonica
09-13-2013, 01:35 PM
You could still go! I'm paying for someone from ANYWHERE in the world to attend HexCon. Surprised more people didn't enter the giveaway - their loss ;)

well i just found out about hex 5 days ago or so :D

i think they would find room in both tabletop and pc game oriented conventions tbh. and RPC is tabletop focused btw. at least when i last attended it 5 years ago or so for a Wh40k tournament

Harmonica
09-13-2013, 01:37 PM
GamesCom is huge; 340k attendants/visitors while Gencon had 160k. Wow !

well Gamescom is the biggest video games convention in europe. also i think video games just attrackt more people than tabletops.

jetah
09-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Except Gencon is just a massive convention floor. It doesn't have must to show via a stream. It isn't like blizzard where they can spend a whole day on 4 different panels explaining all the changes and new things for Warcraft. Then a whole day on D3. There is no "gencon" stream.

My point was either one could do virtual tickets. I was merely suggesting that either Gencom or Crypto could do virtual tickets. I know it would benefit Crypto more if they did their own vtickets. Would I like to have vtickets for HEX GenCon to get the sleeve.. sure. Even Crypto could do a live stream for their vticket holders. vTicket holders could get the info that is being given out and get the sleeves.

Gwaer
09-13-2013, 02:50 PM
The only convention that could possibly do a hex related virtual ticket would be hexcon. I doubt they will do it even then though.

Shadowelf
09-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Hexcon has a very good chance for virtual tickets indeed;

Creator Cryptozoic Entertainment on June 6
There will be online web coverage of the event, so that should help. This is always going to be the cost of doing live events, no matter where they are. Someone somewhere will always be far away from it, but we will do our best in making sure those people feel as if they can be a part of the event even if they're not physically present.

(http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/502428?page=4#comments)

Gwaer
09-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Online web coverage can be pretty far off from a virtual ticket. Online web coverage could just as easily be a summation of panels and notable events.

Shadowelf
09-13-2013, 03:30 PM
True, what made me think that there is a good chance of virtual tickets is this line 'but we will do our best in making sure those people feel as if they can be a part of the event even if they're not physically present'. So this could mean streaming or even a share of Hexcon's rewards, provided that you bought a virtual ticket (rewards will be free for KS nevertheless)

Gwaer
09-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Sure, but the same reason that the first blizzcon didn't have streaming makes me iffy on them even trying to go that route, it costs a lot of money, if not enough people buy it that could be a major downside. The first one really should be about getting a feel for attendance and interest. If it goes off spectacularly, then certainly see about adding it down the road, but don't try to throw on all those extras in your first go.

zadies
09-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Too be perfectly frank doing virtual tickets is likely less profit for cze the the current idea of doing the mercs in the boxes unless the tickets only included the sleaves.

Also given the example of how Colin did dragon con I don't mind being 2/3 hours behind on the news.

jetah
09-13-2013, 05:54 PM
only need a pc, camera, microphone (or 2) and twitch account to stream 1 booth (cze). It isn't really that hard. If they could even do what Borderlands 2 did and have a "purchase virtual ticket" there on twitch. This would provide advertisement via Twitch and provide a live stream of the booth and allow us to get Sleeves. it's a win(cubed)

gearbox had a pre-purchase new skins for bl2 if you didn't make it to their mini-con.

Gwaer
09-13-2013, 06:24 PM
So you'll be happy with a convention that has one stationary camera and a microphone and a pc. Also, no people running it, just sort of pointing at a wall, or a crowd or something? I will see what I can do to set that up for you when I'm there. I'll just leave a laptop with a webcam running under a table somewhere.

jetah
09-14-2013, 10:57 AM
So you'll be happy with a convention that has one stationary camera and a microphone and a pc. Also, no people running it, just sort of pointing at a wall, or a crowd or something? I will see what I can do to set that up for you when I'm there. I'll just leave a laptop with a webcam running under a table somewhere.

If that would get me the Sleeves from the convention. yes! But i also said "to stream 1 booth (CZE)" which you'd have to do too.

Look up Gearbox Community Day. Twitch is helping with that plus some other sponsors.

Gwaer
09-14-2013, 11:05 AM
You're not paying anyone to be in the booth, you're not listing space, or a booth as expenses... So your idea of a booth must be very different from mine. You would have to provide content, and people to talk about that content, plus people to work all the equipment, and troubleshoot problems that would arise. Not to mention figuring out what all of the in person stuff is going to cost you. It's a huge undertaking running a convention. As I said, it would be much better for everyone if they don't do a live stream the first year, and just do normal web updates, and see where they are and what they need to improve.

Also, you won't get sleeves from a digital ticket, they have made it pretty clear that the sleeves are only going to come from being there in person.

jetah
09-14-2013, 11:15 AM
You're not paying anyone to be in the booth, you're not listing space, or a booth as expenses... So your idea of a booth must be very different from mine. You would have to provide content, and people to talk about that content, plus people to work all the equipment, and troubleshoot problems that would arise. Not to mention figuring out what all of the in person stuff is going to cost you. It's a huge undertaking running a convention. As I said, it would be much better for everyone if they don't do a live stream the first year, and just do normal web updates, and see where they are and what they need to improve.

Also, you won't get sleeves from a digital ticket, they have made it pretty clear that the sleeves are only going to come from being there in person.

If I payed CZE for a vticket, I'm sure that cost would go toward all of that. I only mentioned what I mentioned because it is quite easy to setup a live stream for Twitch. I haven't attended a convention outside of Blizzcon, so I assume when I say 'booth' I mean the spot that CZE rents to host most of the content delivery. It would be possible to place a camera/laptop with some microphones to stream the CZE area.

Mokog
09-14-2013, 11:49 AM
When CZE does Hexcon they will have an opportunity to do the set up correctly and well, with planning and dedication. To set up web streaming of events for a 3-4 day broadcasting marathon is not a labor of love. It is a significant cost. A stream with a web came and a game view only works for an hour maybe 2 before people tune out. Switching between events and providing coverage takes planning and infrastructure to do it right. If you do it wrong then you embarrass the IP and no one wants that.

Virtual tickets would be awesome but we have some growing to do first. When we can pack 100k screaming costumed fans into a convention center regularly then I think we will get virtual tickets.

Still can't wait! I will bring the soap and air freshener!

~Mokog

jetah
09-14-2013, 12:06 PM
When CZE does Hexcon they will have an opportunity to do the set up correctly and well, with planning and dedication. To set up web streaming of events for a 3-4 day broadcasting marathon is not a labor of love. It is a significant cost. A stream with a web came and a game view only works for an hour maybe 2 before people tune out. Switching between events and providing coverage takes planning and infrastructure to do it right. If you do it wrong then you embarrass the IP and no one wants that.

Virtual tickets would be awesome but we have some growing to do first. When we can pack 100k screaming costumed fans into a convention center regularly then I think we will get virtual tickets.

Still can't wait! I will bring the soap and air freshener!

~Mokog

I only assume what happens at these Cons. Again I only have 1 experience with Blizzcon. I assume that CZE staff in their spot on the floor will have interaction with those there. We could see/hear questions and answers about HEX and other CZE projects. the stream could have both camera and any game footage with 1 person switching between scenes. But maybe I'm oversimplifying it.

As far as getting bored with 1-2h of game footage, that isn't right. There are streamers that stream for 8 hours and people only leave because they have to. work, school, food, etc. if the floor is engaging enough people will stay to watch. With a live stream CZE could do impromptu question/answer with the viewers. I'm sure if CZE would start to stream alpha, right now, people would watch for as long as they can.

Zomnivore
09-14-2013, 01:19 PM
You got all these young dudes who want to start their own shows, launch their own platforms and sell cards or livestream games....the hell if you corner your market before it grows how is that going to embrace your market of third party content producers at launch?

How are they going to justify investing in your games start, if they've got to deal with professional quality controlled *** from the onset?

They might as well start at an already huge established game, if they've already got to fight against that level of quality. I mean if they've already go to go past the same hurdles with this game, as that game, why start with the smaller school of fish etc.

That's probably reason number 1.

Number 2 is something along the lines of...infrastructure and how whatever stream they launch it has to have a certain amount of platform quality to it, that not only does it have to run well, your game's also got to be fleshed out enough to support it, and you've also got to have an audience large enough to support it, or you come out hemorrhaging money and looking like chumps.

Thirdparty flaws don't make them look bad.

Number 3 is wheeling and dealing.

If this game gets its own day9 or w/e famous magic player to invest hard into it, and they get launched...some deals are probably going to get made to keep them invested in producing the content, at some level.

If promo event cards and providing the third party market a product with a limited distribution...well you just gave your bro a pat on the back and a way to keep him at the party.

What say you fellow internet bros? Sound like reasonable logic?

jetah
09-14-2013, 01:53 PM

I'm not sure what I even read. I did read it but I'm not sure what part of the conversation I walked into. Are you talking about CZE or Gencon or something else?

sukebe
09-14-2013, 02:26 PM
It seemed pretty clear to me. He was, of course, talking about the whole point of this thread: Livestream/virtual tickets of future events.

No need to be rude about it.

Shadowelf
09-14-2013, 02:59 PM
deleted via Stok3d

Creating Duplicate Threads

Forum violations include:

Creating threads about existing topics
Creating a separate thread about an existing topic for further discussion in more than one forum
Cross Linking Threads

One of the Mod's jobs is to enforce the coc. Clearly creating a separate thread for an already existing topic is against it. So you can't blame the mods because you didn't bother to read it

http://www.cryptozoic.com/coc

jetah
09-14-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm still confused about what Zomnivore was talking about. I don't understand what the conversation is about. Is about CZE or about a Con? I'm confused because CZE has a fleshed out game, they don't need any start up funds because they had KS. CZE could do their own stream and sell vtickets that *could* grant digital stuff.

Stream quality doesn't have to be great. I'd be happy with some CZE staff chatting with the attendees, answering questions. They could show some of the people playing the game. they can have a CZE staff playing the game while the viewers watch the game part, while answering questions from live chat. A Convention isn't a recorded event that is edited before it's played. It's live with all things that live entails, stuff breaking, not working, stream problems, etc.

As for a Convention doing the vtickets, that's different. After a few post from others in this thread, it would be impossible for CZE to offer rewards for Convention vtickets. A Convention stream could be as good as the PaX stream, or better.

Mokog
09-14-2013, 04:50 PM
CZE has an opportunity to do more PoV content at their conventions. Hexcon is a great opportunity to delve into all things Hex but we still have lots of Lore and dungeons and raids to go through. Before we have event tickets for self hosted conventions the brand needs to grow first.

Individuals can cast for 8 hours but there has to be a maintained viewer retention. 1 person does not generally keep the same people for 8 hours but different people on and off for that time. I imagine there are exceptions. Popular casters do have their groupies. Variety of content holds more viewers longer and that type of value can sell event tickets.

Overall I say it is possible but we are looking 2-3 years down the line for a robust set up, not because of technology, but for content and brand reasons. Hell maybe I am wrong. Cory could be finalizing the stage set up for the first Hexcon where he has a top 8 isolation booths linked to video equipment and casting software. You never know since CZE's motto is to put fans first.

Hemotherapy
09-16-2013, 08:37 AM
^ Don't think they specfiically need to change up the casters over the hours of the event. BlizzCon has the same 2 people do it and I've never gotten bored and thought Man these guys are boring, I'm just done watching. I'm there to see what BlizzCon has to offer, not the casters. As long as they shutup during panels, I'm cool with whoever is at the helm :)

I do agree with OP doe. A way to buy a virtual ticket to get a code to enter in Hex somewhere to get those sleeves/collectables would be nice...a goody bag filled with physical items for the people that physically attend, and anything digital given to people that digitally attend = the right way to do it.

Some of us don't have the time/money to go to a convention every year :(

sukebe
09-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Number 3 is wheeling and dealing.

If this game gets its own day9 or w/e famous magic player to invest hard into it, and they get launched...some deals are probably going to get made to keep them invested in producing the content, at some level.

If promo event cards and providing the third party market a product with a limited distribution...well you just gave your bro a pat on the back and a way to keep him at the party.

This seems to be what confused you Jetah (at least going by what you were complaining about). It does seem that english isnt his primary language but taking a bit of time to think things through should clarify it. Let me help you a bit (if i get any of this wrong feel free to correct me Zomnivore).

First, here is what google had to say about day9. He is a Famous StarCraft personality, caster, and progamer, who creates videos to "help people become better gamers".

What Zomnivore is saying is that if Hex gets its own player like Day9 to invest their time and money into creating vidoes for the game it would behoove the developers/producers of hex to provide players like that incentives to continue their work in what is essentially free high quality advertising for Hex.

One thing that provides incentives for the individuals who do their own event coverage is the promo cards, sleeves and mercs that are handed out only at these events. These individuals can go to these events and get as many of these promos as they can manage and then hand them out to their viewers through contests or random drawings. This helps these individuals get more viewers for their podcasts/blogs which in turn helps get people more excited or "into" the game of Hex.

Selling "Virtual Tickets" for hex events would hurt this type of player/streamer in 2 ways. First, if the company itself takes over the broadcasting of these events it is fare less likely that people will watch the "unofficial" streams by these individuals. It also provides a quick, easy, and universally available method to get all the promo items of an event for a cheap price. This makes the promo card giveaways these individuals do considerably less special or even necessary.

There, hopefully that clarifies things for you Jetah.

Personally while what Zomnivore says is true and is something to consider, it is (I believe) not the main reason they are not likely to the type of virtual tickets you want to see. I think the main reason is that Cory (and likely others in CZE) what these promos to feel special. Right now, they do feel special since the only way to get them is to either go to the convention yourself or get them from someone who did (or to obtain them from a packs loot chest during the hours of the event). They have also said that they will not sell anything that effects the game except for booster packs, starter decks, and tournament entry fees. Selling their promos (which is essentially what the OP is looking for) would go against this promise that they made right from the beginning of the kickstarter.

They have already made it easier for people to obtain these promo items (except the sleeves) for those who cannot go to the event by making them available in booster pack treasure chests. This was a huge deal I think and I was very impressed at how they decided to do this.

Finally, I want to point out that I am not against CZE making their convention panels available for all players to view. In fact I would love to see this. I just don't want to see the value and uniqueness of the promo cards made any less than they already will be.

I will not be able to make it to most conventions as I am un-employed and have many mental health issues that make these things difficult for me (even if I did have the money to go to them). I will likely be working very hard to obtain these promo items from 3rd party sources and will likely never get all the promos I want. I will not let this bother me though. Few things worth doing are easy.

jetah
09-16-2013, 05:43 PM
sukebe - problem with allowing streamers (say from twitch) is that they can do subscription only giveaways. this means that those people viewing will give their money to Twitch & the Streamer instead of CZE. There were Streamers doing 'giveways' of the Hearthstone beta key but only if you sub'd to the channel (subs are 4.99 split 50/50 with twitch and the person doing the stream). It wouldn't be as if CZE would take over a Stream. CZE would have their own channel and Streamers would have theirs.

I'd prefer to pay CZE 15$ (or 50) to get a digital ticket that I know would benefit CZE not a Streamer (which I'll be trying to stream as well).

Also if you watch the Pax stream, you'll see many viewers would come and go only to watch the game they wanted. I had another tab with someone playing Hearthstone.

Also note that Digital Ticket wouldn't full 24h streams. Pax was running and people were watching Hearthstone being played. Viewers can open up 2 tabs to watch them both.

buying a vticket would allow people to watch the Con. there would be a bonus of the sleeve or whatever. This can be argued, I know. Actually CZE would do giveaways randomly in the stream, many Twitch Streamers do that.

Now we have a problem. People get codes for digital stuff and ebay/sell it for who knows how much. Would you rather pay 50 for a vticket or 300 for a code off a website?

totally forgot to add in that actually CZE is selling digital exclusive items. the problem is you have to buy a Con ticket, travel there and meet them. But none of that expenses went to CZE.

At the end of the thread, I'd rather support CZE than someone who visited and will sell their code. I'd rather support CZE than a Streamer that can do a sub only giveaway. I'd rather watch what is going on at the Con in CZE booth vs having Shadow post links (sorry Shadow). I'd rather have the info about HEX/CZE, live, than wait for websites to update.

sukebe
09-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Some streamers will charge, but the best do not. As I said above, they have already said they will not sell individual cards, which is what the virtual ticket is essentially doing.

Again, I do want to see the panels online. I do not want them to make the promo cards and mercenaries available for anyone who wants to throw $50 at them. These promo cards and mercenaries are not needed for the game. They are a bonus for those who go to events (or even open to all those who open a lot of packs during the events). If you don't want to give 3rd party groups your money for these promo cards you do not have to. They have already given in to those who want everything without having to go to the conventions these promos are designed for.

I do not see the point in paying for virtual tickets when you can already get the promo cards from in game doing what many would already be doing; opening packs. I understand not wanting to deal with random chance, but the only way to get around that without buying from 3rd party sources would be them breaking their promise to sell only boosters, starters and tournament tickets when it comes to in game merchandise.

I can definitely see CZE eventually streaming some of their panels, but not until they get considerably more people playing Hex than are currently signed up. Again though, just to be absolutely sure my point is clear: They should not make these promo cards/mercenaries available for a flat fee. It reduces money CZE gets and it reduces the special nature of the promos. (again, I will not get to go to these conventions for the most part. however, just because I can't afford to go does not mean that I feel these things should be changed to be easier for me to get).

jetah
09-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Some streamers will charge, but the best do not. As I said above, they have already said they will not sell individual cards, which is what the virtual ticket is essentially doing.

But I'm talking about Sleeves not cards. I don't know any other items CZE could give away but I know they could give away any card in the deck.

I'd like the ability to watch the presentation that CZE will give while at any Con. I'd pay for it. If CZE gave a bonus that could include Sleeves, great! CZE could sell vtickets just for the stream and giveaway 50 (or any number) of the promo codes to those watching. You're happy they didn't sell items, I'm happy because I could win stuff.

I do not see the point in paying for virtual tickets when you can already get the promo cards from in game doing what many would already be doing; opening packs. I understand not wanting to deal with random chance, but the only way to get around that without buying from 3rd party sources would be them breaking their promise to sell only boosters, starters and tournament tickets when it comes to in game merchandise.

doesn't this imply they are selling items from conventions? nope? just open packs.. for 2$ each. Again CZE is getting the income from these promo cards.

And again, there will be people who aren't interested in HEX that will post any/all promo items on auction sites/craigslist/etc. I'd rather buy from CZE instead.

I can definitely see CZE eventually streaming some of their panels, but not until they get considerably more people playing Hex than are currently signed up. Again though, just to be absolutely sure my point is clear: They should not make these promo cards/mercenaries available for a flat fee. It reduces money CZE gets and it reduces the special nature of the promos. (again, I will not get to go to these conventions for the most part. however, just because I can't afford to go does not mean that I feel these things should be changed to be easier for me to get).

Maybe I'm oversimplifying the stream. It wont take a crew of people to have a cam/game running. Switching to cam when people are asking questions and the game isn't being shown to the viewers. Take breaks when nothing is going on, etc.

IMO 16k people are interested enough in HEX plus those that donated via PayPal (not sure of the total number of people). Out of those 16k+ we'll have a few hundred that will stream until it becomes more popular. Depending on HEX advertisement, we could see many MtG players try it.

So I have to have this quote separate:

They should not make these promo cards/mercenaries available for a flat fee. It reduces money CZE gets and it reduces the special nature of the promos.
how will it reduce CZE income if they don't sell? it will reduce CZE income because people will ebay it. It will increase CZE income because people would buy directly from CZE. Now CZE could just limit the number of promo codes, to say, few hundred. This would keep their prices up (hopefully on the AH) and rare enough that not everyone has one in their deck.

Also remember that it does cost CZE something to haul salary people over to a Con and host panels. They could make some of it back by selling vtickets.

You seem to be stuck on the cards and mercenaries while i'm stuck on the sleeves. Sleeves aren't game changing.

I tend to be a realist. I know that companies have the full intent of never breaking promises. but the reality is CZE will break promises. How many is up to them.

sukebe
09-16-2013, 08:17 PM
But I'm talking about Sleeves not cards. I don't know any other items CZE could give away but I know they could give away any card in the deck.

I'd like the ability to watch the presentation that CZE will give while at any Con. I'd pay for it. If CZE gave a bonus that could include Sleeves, great! CZE could sell vtickets just for the stream and giveaway 50 (or any number) of the promo codes to those watching. You're happy they didn't sell items, I'm happy because I could win stuff.

doesn't this imply they are selling items from conventions? nope? just open packs.. for 2$ each. Again CZE is getting the income from these promo cards.

And again, there will be people who aren't interested in HEX that will post any/all promo items on auction sites/craigslist/etc. I'd rather buy from CZE instead.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying the stream. It wont take a crew of people to have a cam/game running. Switching to cam when people are asking questions and the game isn't being shown to the viewers. Take breaks when nothing is going on, etc.

IMO 16k people are interested enough in HEX plus those that donated via PayPal (not sure of the total number of people). Out of those 16k+ we'll have a few hundred that will stream until it becomes more popular. Depending on HEX advertisement, we could see many MtG players try it.

So I have to have this quote separate:

how will it reduce CZE income if they don't sell? it will reduce CZE income because people will ebay it. It will increase CZE income because people would buy directly from CZE. Now CZE could just limit the number of promo codes, to say, few hundred. This would keep their prices up (hopefully on the AH) and rare enough that not everyone has one in their deck.

Also remember that it does cost CZE something to haul salary people over to a Con and host panels. They could make some of it back by selling vtickets.

You seem to be stuck on the cards and mercenaries while i'm stuck on the sleeves. Sleeves aren't game changing.

I tend to be a realist. I know that companies have the full intent of never breaking promises. but the reality is CZE will break promises. How many is up to them.

Cory has specifically said he wants something that you can only get from GOING to a convention. He has also specifically said that sleeves ARE that something. I agree with him, convention goers should get something for their time, money, and commitment. Sleeves have no effect on gameplay so they are perfect for this. As you said, they are not "game changing" so there is no need to get them. If you have a personal need to get them, go to the convention or buy from those who do.

Here (http://hextcg.com/exclusives-treasure-and-mercenaries/)is the link to the official Hex website announcement that says that sleeves must be earned. here is the most important part of that announcement when it comes to your argument:

What we’re doing is this: the sleeves are given out only if you attend the event, like a collectible convention badge (sleeves are going to be EARNED)

I can only speak for myself, but I think they have already given in to peoples greed and envy enough already by handing out everything BUT the sleeves just for opening packs during convention times. This at least they should keep for those who actually make the trip. Can people still sell them online? Yes, they will. Do I wish this was something that could be stopped? Sure, at least a part of me feels this way. However, 3rd party sites are, by definition, out of their control. Handing out even the sleeves just because you paid them $50 or so to watch their streams from home is something they can control and I hope they do.

I want these sleeves as well, I obsessively collect everything I can when it comes to games I enjoy, to the detriment of my health more often than not. That does not mean I want every special item handed out at conventions handed to me on a silver platter. On those few times I can make it to a convention I like getting those items that are special. I have no desire to take that away from those who can make it to these conventions when I cannot.