PDA

View Full Version : Orc Art Feature

Shaqattaq
09-13-2013, 11:34 AM
As you can see, the Orcs have an Aztec, Incan, Mayan base to their armor. And, no more “female Orc” jokes. Nope, these Orc females are stunning!

http://hextcg.com/orcs/

GrinningBuddha
09-13-2013, 12:49 PM
The Aztec/Incan/Mayan cultures are a fine pick for the Orcs, given their connection to Ruby and Blood magic. It's nice to see an Orc race with a colorful heritage and allied with Humans for once! At least, for now... :D

dredcrow
09-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Yeah I'm really liking the Orcs.

Moondancer
09-13-2013, 02:43 PM
<3 the orcs Love their look style and general awesomeness that is female orcs. Gorgeous but brutal.

Commoble
09-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Just an FYI, the kickstarter update accidentally linked to the orc's story page (http://hextcg.com/story/orcs/) instead of the art feature. Might want to change that.

Mathaw
09-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Was a bit disappointed when I saw the concept art, as its a little 'boobs and metal bikini' for my taste, but the final artwork is in much better taste.

RECHiD
09-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Zug zug!

I'm really diggin' the Mesoamerican influence of the orcs. Looking forward to exploring a Chichen Itza-esque Dungeon.

jetah
09-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Was a bit disappointed when I saw the concept art, as its a little 'boobs and metal bikini' for my taste, but the final artwork is in much better taste.

I kind of have to agree. I don't see a warrior female with a D cup. I consider Gymnast to be pretty athletic. And most of the females don't have any breast larger than a C cup (at least using google images for "female gymnast body type"), there are some exceptions and some exceptions where implants were used.

I don't understand the full plate for feet, yet you wear a plate thong. Even casters would have to be protected from the stray arrow or dagger, etc.

maybe it's my age.

Zomnivore
09-14-2013, 12:59 AM
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/OrcWarlockL3-Mahy.jpg

Ok...is his hand holding the head gloved or just not green rofl.

What makes me say not green/gloved is that the tone of his wrap, and the leather sheath is such a darker tone and the hand has a flesh tone...

rofl!

At you guys sad at orc big tittied girls, I can feel you, but they aren't human so at some level your criticism just doesn't work, because its a fantasy race female. The male has arms that are literally as large as some dude's chest.

Sexual dimorphism in fantasy races I think is a fascinating subject, and I agree I want to see various women and men in various states of health.

I also agree that a war torn man and a war torn female look very different usually because they just Steven-stegal the females and actually scar up the male characters.

Its a disjointed art-style that annoys me to no end.

Find some milfs, and do up some vet-fem-warriors. There's a way to do attractive females with various states of body shape. Its lazy marketing and gutlessness that doesn't take a risk on selling pseudo reality, and ignores widening to account for some niche goodness...those my little pony guys etc are like a market that never would've existed without those savvy dudes shooting wide with smart decisions....same could happen in a variety of ways for other ips.

Mindless
09-14-2013, 03:24 AM
Well in reality females have been a minority in battles (as soliders and not nurses and "support"). Depending on which type of conflict and scale of the war I think the most common appearence of females in battle are females that are disguised in order to conceal their identity as a female. Also there is little need to have little cloth when going into combat. "Never" in reality have there been a time of civilised war (hmm sounds strange) where people do combat whitout armor such as loads of rags, leather or plate (I mean battles that are not tribal or civil and maybe not in warmer climat). One of the most important part to defend is the abdomen area because of the weakness it posses (the bayonett was created to puncture this area and sever important blood connection to the legs, if you did survive the blood loss you would get rather nasty infections). Most fantasy females wear unrealistic little armor to begin with (and often have no armor around abdomen) and for some reason they all seems to have so large breasts that if they do have a leather or plate the armor have to be customized for their boobs (which I don't think any type of armor ever have been unless it was created specifically for some queen or something).

But why is this so? Well first of all sexy sells I guess but there is also a part of identification for us consumers. The ability to recognize a female or male by their features rather than the armors as the armor might not differ at all. Bodily features such as breasts carreis huge impact on the ability to put the concept of the character within its own lore and serves as one of the easiest way to seperate female and male (height, weight even name and other common aspects is hard to judge looking at something that don't have clear references, like a male and female beside each other).

This is only my opinion and what I've learned through life on the subject (I'm by no means educated much in the female role in battles so if you can correct me or add I would be grateful). While I would like to see more realistic female warriors in fantasy in general but I am not against the current state because in the end I want art to be representative and not realistic (meaning its up to the artist to create and me to like or dislike).

SacrificialToast
09-14-2013, 07:42 AM
For what it's worth, most of the guys are wearing just as little as the girls.

dredcrow
09-14-2013, 12:02 PM
We have to remember these are orcs, not humans. Although there are certainly some similarities between the two races they are actually quite different. Attempting to judge them utilizing human norms and values will only end in misunderstanding. I for one feel that the art is an accurate portrayal of orc physiology and fashion.

Physically orc females on average just have larger breasts than their human counterparts. If this is because that's the way that Kog’Tepetl made them or simply because their babies are so damn big who can say. Also an orc's skin is tougher than a humans and thus they are more resistant to inclement weather.

As to the revealing nature of orc battle dress, the reasons are deeply rooted in their culture.

The orc combat style puts a premium on mobility, speed, and savage strength. This along with their ingrained pride and bravery leads to a lighter armouring than the average human fighter. In fact an Orc may see a fully armoured knight as cowardly and slow (at least while dismounted).

Like much of orc culture it all comes back to the arena. It rumoured that Kog’Tepetl not only feeds off of the blood of the fallen but also the roar of the crowd. Although defeating one's opponent to appease the Mountain God is the ultimate goal of any gladiator, putting on a show is also highly valued. Thus many arena warriors have adopted somewhat stylized armour to further please the crowd. Greater orc society in turn is quick to adopt the fashion of the arena.

Sexuality in and of itself of course can be a source of power and orc society places a premium on power. Just another way to throw an opponent off balance.

Some members of other races may feel offended or threatened by all this but trust me the orcs like it that way.

RECHiD
09-15-2013, 10:01 PM
It's true that the Orc females in the art spotlight do posses the typical "big breasted, scantily clad," motif of fantasy game females that is so predominant in games. Like it or hate it, it's pretty ingrained in fantasy games :\ At least the new axe-wielding half of Tetalca has clothes and decent armor.

As far as real life historical battles are concerned, "heavily armored" is not exactly a universal constant. While warriors of some empires did fight wearing as much solid metal protection as possible, many soldiers (likely most) did not, for a number of reasons. Sometimes heavy armor was not able to be produced in enough quantities; not enough workers, too expensive, lack of raw materials. Even when given the option, often times soldiers throughout history would opt for lighter armor. Lighter armor is easier to move around in, and less constricting, making a warrior faster and less likely to succumb to fatigue. Its also easier to transport over long distances, such as during a long campaign when traveling for hundreds of miles. Full plate, "walking tank," style armor is much more common in fantasy worlds than in the real world.

Atomzed
09-15-2013, 11:38 PM
For what it's worth, most of the guys are wearing just as little as the girls.

As you said. If you look at the concept arts, the male orcs wear the same type of armour as the female orcs. It seems to be a norm of the race to wear such light armours.

So there's no sexualisation of the female orcs here.

Mindless
09-16-2013, 04:13 AM
Its true that many soliders have worn little heavy armor but in my experience they have always worn some kind of armor. Pelts, wood, rags, cloth and leather is some kind of armor and in many cases they needed the armor against other dangers, like having much black cloth in deserts to avoid insects, wearing shoes to prevent bites, injuries etc. Also there are specific kind of defenses that makes it usable rather than passive, such as bucklers, shields and leg or arm wraps. But in many cases before the firearm the battles almost always had some kind of superior armored force (if we are talking about armies of trained soldier and not civil or tribal as the knowledge & resources are needed). When armor became really heavy, around dark ages, the forces using these tend to be mounted in order to counter the fatigue. The problem with armor is that there have always been ways around them and when the firearms entered the picture it became more troublesome to have armor as basically no armor can stop a bullet (wearable by a single man). Even today kevelar cannot prevent a military grade bullet from a rifle but it can stop regular bullets and is preferable to having nothing.

Having said that and from my previous post it do however become useless to think about as the orcs in hex appears to be semi-tribal (large socity?). Tribal socities seldom had advanced ability to forge nor the ability or knowledge in the common regarded warfare of large scale battles in real world. Also as both gunpowder and magic exist in hex it would make sense to wear basically little to no added armor for defense. Instead the armor should be like todays soldiers armors where the need to pack extra ammo and rations etc are prioritized as well as the durability compared to normal cloths. Also it would be useless to use melee weapons (could still have a melee weapon such as a dagger in case of emergancy) in the range they seems to exist when a gigantic robot can trample a whole city, but this is where the fantasy genre can shine with it's absence of real world logic.

The topic on hand however regards to the sexualisation of orcs here due to large breast and much visiable skin. It might not make sense to wear heavy plates even if the orcs are stronger but they could at least wear more cloths, rags and what not. The explination that they do not seems to be that they are a tribal race that allows females to fightand that there really isn't a practical reason. The mobility question is of course important as well but the orcs seems to priorities "arena" type of battles and even here you find armor not that uncommon. Also helmets are almost never a bad choice when entering battle or combat but regarding the topic I discussed more in my previous post it makes more sense as facial experssion, hairstyle, scars and much more references can often be revealed than if rather wearing helmets.

Are the female orcs sexualised? Yes as well as most fantasy art (even in hex). There is no need for them to have large breast (even if their babies are large the fact is that women normally only produce milk during pragnency in real life so their size is often irrelevant). We also have to consider that they are only sexualised according to our worlds standards and not the standard in the hex universe (they might have large breast because thats in their genes, just as orc males might have more and larger muscles than real life humans). It might be so that the feets are what matters the most and not breast size in regards to sexualisation in hex universe, we don't know. But is this a bad thing? I let you decide for yourself, I just ask that you look at it with little more tought.

Look at me rambling...

Daer
09-16-2013, 05:42 AM
I love the hex art and hate the discussions about the hex art.

Mindless
09-16-2013, 06:50 AM

i like hex art far more than any ther card game so far. The discussion is sometime silly but feel free to hate it ^^

dredcrow
09-16-2013, 04:39 PM

I find it all kind of humorous myself.

Anyways I showed the art to my wife and she thinks the female orcs are "hot". :)

I grew up with art by Frazetta and Vallejo, reading Savage Sword of Conan, Heavy Metal Magazine etc. and I still love that stuff.

I think the diversity of the races and art styles of Hex are one of it's strengths.

hexcoyote
12-07-2013, 02:57 PM
The Aztec/Incan/Mayan cultures are a fine pick for the Orcs, given their connection to Ruby and Blood magic. It's nice to see an Orc race with a colorful heritage and allied with Humans for once! At least, for now... :D

Yeah man, they're usually just big dumb oafs.:cool:

hexcoyote
12-07-2013, 03:12 PM
I kind of have to agree. I don't see a warrior female with a D cup. I consider Gymnast to be pretty athletic. And most of the females don't have any breast larger than a C cup (at least using google images for "female gymnast body type"), there are some exceptions and some exceptions where implants were used.

I don't understand the full plate for feet, yet you wear a plate thong. Even casters would have to be protected from the stray arrow or dagger, etc.

maybe it's my age.
Full plate thong, hmm...I don't mind using my imagination to figure out that one. The chafing alone, ouch! Am I a perv if the details in my head go beyond that?