PDA

View Full Version : A few Pack / Draft questions

Feldspar78
09-14-2013, 03:01 PM
I apologize if this has been covered, I've read a lot so far in anticipation of the Hex alpha (Slacker Backer, late to the party), and these are the questions that most recently came to me. Disclaimer, I have never played MTG in any of it's forms, and I am new to TCG/CCGs. I have always wanted to get involved but never had the money or the people around who were also interested. Thank you internet TCGs! Anyway.. The questions...

It seems to me that people expect the Set 1 packs to be "worth less" than subsequent Sets' packs. Are the packs going to be identified by which set they belong to once new sets become available?

When entering a draft tournament, are packs of the current set the only packs earned/able to be used to gain entry?

Shadowelf
09-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Welcome to the game/forums

It seems to me that people expect the Set 1 packs to be "worth less" than subsequent Sets' packs. Are the packs going to be identified by which set they belong to once new sets become available?

Set 1 packs worth less is only speculation atm, based on the fact that there will be an abundance of them in the market due to KS. Whether this will be true or not remains to be seen. Sets will be identified by a symbol and/or a number

When entering a draft tournament, are packs of the current set the only packs earned/able to be used to gain entry?

Depends on the type of the draft; you can either do 3 packs from one set, 2 packs/1 pack from another, or 1/1/1 if you you want to include all sets of the current block (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 1:18:50)

As for packs you can do one the following

You can do one of the following... $7, $5+1Booster, $3+2Boosters, $1+3Boosters .

Aradon
09-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Yes, packs will be distinguished by which set they are from. Set 1 packs will probably have a lower market value than subsequent packs, I don't think it will be a huge factor. People are underestimating how quickly drafts can eat packs, I think :P

Draft tournaments are designated by the set they will be drafting. If the draft queue is for Set 1/Set 1/Set 1 (all three packs), you'll need three Set 1 packs (or 2 platinum to buy a Set 1 pack) to join that draft. If the draft is Set 4/Set 4/Set 4, you will not be able to join without three Set 4 packs (or plat to buy them). We don't really know much about the payout method, but typically it is in packs of the same sets that you drafted, or the most recent set.

ol4ever
09-14-2013, 05:31 PM
It makes me wonder, when they launch set 2, will set 1 still be available to buy?

Niedar
09-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Yes

Aradon
09-14-2013, 05:46 PM
They've mentioned (without much detail) that they are considering retiring old sets from open purchase, so when Set 12 or something is released, they may discontinue Set 1 packs. If they do, they'll likely bring them back from time to time, but Cory's expressed interest in helping older sets retain value.

zadies
09-14-2013, 06:11 PM
The issue on set 1 worth is supply and demand if we have 1 million non-ks/slacker players during the initial set 1 window before set 2 is released then set 1 boosters will be worth a few cents less then set 2 the issue with set 1 is the assumption the game will have a mediocre 50k people launch where half of them are backers.

ol4ever
09-14-2013, 06:43 PM
They've mentioned (without much detail) that they are considering retiring old sets from open purchase, so when Set 12 or something is released, they may discontinue Set 1 packs. If they do, they'll likely bring them back from time to time, but Cory's expressed interest in helping older sets retain value.
That is indeed a very good idea, i wish they could make sales or promotions at least once or twice a year like steam does.

Shadowelf
09-14-2013, 11:49 PM
It makes me wonder, when they launch set 2, will set 1 still be available to buy?

They will be releasing 1 set every 4 months aka 3 sets a year, that will be forming a block and rotate every 2 years (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ign-mpt=uo%3D4 episode 54 check 0:52:00). As for reprints, they haven’t considered it yet, as they think it’s too early (http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/412300360 check 0:27:23)

Aruken
09-17-2013, 08:47 AM
They will be releasing 1 set every 4 months aka 3 sets a year, that will be forming a block and rotate every 2 years.
So what will happen when set 7 is released as far as tournaments and rotation go (the 'core' format if I understand correctly)?
I really need someone to break this down for me please.

Niedar
09-17-2013, 08:55 AM
I am not sure we know exactly how it will be but one possibility is sets 1-3 are phased out at the introduction of set 7 leaving you with set 4,5,6,7. Then it will go to 4,5,6,7,8 and 4,5,6,7,8,9 and then 4-6 are phased out leaving with 7,8,9,10.

Deciphered
09-17-2013, 10:52 AM
So what will happen when set 7 is released as far as tournaments and rotation go (the 'core' format if I understand correctly)?
I really need someone to break this down for me please.

As I understand it (and please know that I could be wrong, and CZE may change everything once the game is out), once set 7 releases, and the first block rotates out, there will still be tournaments where you can play with all your old cards. However, the most important PvP tournaments, with the biggest prizes, will probably feature any sets from the current block, plus any sets from the previous block. So, some possible set combinations you'll see at tournaments as we go forward will be:

123 4
123 45
123 456
456 7
456 78
456 789
789 10
etc.

Hope this helps, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Ha, totally didn't see that Niedar beat me to this, oops.

Aruken
09-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Thank you both for your answers. Is it how MTG works?

Umaro
09-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Basically, yes. MTG Prints a "Core" set every year also (Magic 2013, Magic 2014, etc) that is usually a mix of re-prints and new cards, usually to introduce a few of the mechanics that will be prevalent in the next block. Blocks rotate when the first set of a block is introduced though, which is usually a couple months after the core set is released.

So for example, M14 released about two months ago, and Theros (First set in the Theros block) is being released in about a week and a half (pre-release is this weekend). When Theros releases, the older of the two currently-legal blocks will rotate out, leaving 5 sets in standard format (Currently, Return to Ravnica block, M14, and Theros.)

Niedar
09-17-2013, 04:08 PM
This also might end up being how it ends up in Hex as well, I do believe they have mentioned that 4 months between sets might be too slow and they might end up going with a 4 sets per year released but for now 3 sets.