PDA

View Full Version : [FunktionFails] What's the pick #6

funktion
09-16-2013, 11:59 AM
(Edit: seems like there might have been an issue uploading but won't be able to fix until I'm back, can still see the last two thirds of the video though it seems.)

Hey guys and gals,
Here's another quick video, using a draft simulator to look at the first 3 picks. Still outta the country for another few days. When I'm back though I'll get around to making a bit more substantive content. In the meantime I've got this one which I recorded for you all beforehand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXENDOuh5L0
FunktionFails: What's the pick #6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXENDOuh5L0)

Alpha is right around the corner, which also means my contest is nearly at it's end. Just need 3-4 more subs. I can hardly wait for alpha, really looking forward to playing the game and getting to draft.

jtatta
09-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Another pretty decent video but as usual I disagree with some of your assessments.

Pick 1 is pretty obvious so Murder is fine there. Nothing much else to say.

Pick 2 is much more debatable. A good theory to understand while drafting is just "taking the best card" theory. Sometimes you end up with several different colors the first handful of picks but your overall power level goes up (you clearly won't necessarily play all of the cards). In this example, you took a sightly above average card in Terrible Transfer over a very good card in Buccaneer. Buccaneer is very good for many reasons, most are obvious, but one of those reasons is his synergy with many Inspire troops due to his cost of three. In the next pack you got passed a Mirror Knight which is absolutely insane with Buccaneer so it would've paid off.

Pick 3 is also very debatable. While Wild is a pretty solid color, the Sapper's Charge is probably the best card in the pack. If you had taken the Buccaneer, the Mirror Knight would've been a windmill slam. I know you want to wait and see if he's good or not but he has average stats for a three cost troop and an above average ability. Turning all of your 3+ cost troops into Scroll Thief is pretty obviously good in my opinion and I bet you can't tell me that you've lost a lot of games of magic when Scroll Thief got online (limited of course).

Again, I enjoy your drafting series even if I do disagree a lot with you from time to time. I'm sure you don't take it personally. :)

funktion
09-16-2013, 09:00 PM
I don't take it personally at all. I'm just not a fan of the take the best card approach. Dont get me wrong it works amazingly well in some formats (the whole shards block and a few other recent ones are good examples) but I wouldn't use it every time all the time.

I'm not so sure that sapper's charge is better than briar..maybe it is if you arent in a second color but honestly briar legion is massively stronger than it's mtg counterparts. The statements you've made about people passing tbird I would also make about briar legion.

The_Wine_Gnat
09-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Question abotu Briar Legion. If you only have one and then you play it, does it buff itself, effectively making it a 3/3?

Leingod
09-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Afaik it does since it targets every briar legion in every zone.

Mercadian
09-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Pls use hextcgbrowser for future drafts :-)