PDA

View Full Version : game change idea

Soldack
09-16-2013, 02:11 PM
You construct a 45 card no resource "deck" and a 15 card resource deck. You draw 7 cards from your deck. Then at the start of each turn you may chose to draw a card from either deck.

Kami
09-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Interesting idea but it's a broken system, unfortunately.

You're basically guaranteeing a resource every time someone needs it. It's very easy to abuse it with the right deck build.

Aradon
09-16-2013, 02:27 PM
I don't know if it's abusable, but it certainly has ramifications on deckbuilding. It'd be a very different sort of game than MtG at that point. Makes certain deck styles stronger and others less effective. It's worth trying as an experiment, but I imagine CZE tried a few things before settling on MtG's land-style of resource.

mudkip
09-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Interesting idea but it's a broken system, unfortunately.

You're basically guaranteeing a resource every time someone needs it. It's very easy to abuse it with the right deck build.

I don't think it's broken, but it's definitely a different game. It's basically the same as WoW TCG, where the resources are guaranteed. CZE have experience with this system and decided against it for good reasons.

jetah
09-16-2013, 05:06 PM
If we were able to build custom game types, it could be created.

Soldack
09-17-2013, 06:12 AM
It seemed to me to reduce the luck factor and put the emphasis on who builds and plays better, not who gets mana screwed the least.

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-17-2013, 06:24 AM
It seemed to me to reduce the luck factor and put the emphasis on who builds and plays better, not who gets mana screwed the least.
It creates a gamestate where players get curve screwed rather than mana screwed. "Oh, I've got my 6 needed shard drops now, but I keep drawing 1-3 cost cards". Basically, it swaps one 'problem' (read: I don't actually think it's an issue) with another.

Also, even on the face of it it increases the power of decks that prefer to only hit 1 to 3 shards, as those decks will draw only gas beyond those drops - whereas atm, they usually have to include ~20 shards+ in order to reliably hit those resource drops, which means they still have some small risk of flooding even though they only wanted to hit a very small number of drops. Cheap combo decks in particular get much stronger - there was a blue/red Blistercoil Weird deck in modern Magic a little while ago that could go off with as little as 2 lands; imagine if that deck didn't ever risk drawing a third (admittedly it only ran ~10, but you get the point).

Turtlewing
09-17-2013, 10:05 AM

Except that it actually doesn't.

it does not guarantee you can play the cards in your hand (doesn't solve "color screw" nor "curve screw").

You could create a game that worked as described by the OP, but there would be a few design consequences:
1. All cards would need to be "on curve" power wise. Whereas with less guaranteed resource system higher cost cards can be "above curve" because there is reduced chance that you can play them (due to resource issues). Similarly some low cost cards can be "below curve" and still see play because they can be reliably cast (whereas alternatives with similar effects may be too iffy).

2. Mono-shard decks would likely gain a disproportionate boost due to not risking color screw.

3. Deck building would be less complex as you would no longer have to navigate the brinksmanship of including enough resources to play your cards without including more than you need.

4. resource decks either need a hard maximum size, or you will be able to defeat "mill decks" by having an arbitrarily large resource deck and drawing/discarding from there instead of your main deck.

4a. cards that force discards from your deck probably need to specify which pile they affect.

5. the choice of which pile to draw from would likely be a disproportionately large factor in deciding the game. This is likely to be frustrating to new players who haven't yet learned the ins and outs of the system. Hex's resource system by contrast is largely designed to "get out of your way" rather than to "be an important choice you make every turn".

Xtopher
09-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I don't like the idea, but I don't see as curve screwed vs mana screwed. It's more like curve screwed vs mana and/or curve screwed.