PDA

View Full Version : Gem questions and stuff

Norious
09-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Are there any sapphire cards that are socketable?

Are gems something to be assigned for matches or do you have to have them in your inventory? i.e looted them via playing or in booster packs, bought in auction, etc.

In other words, are they going to be a commodity in this game?

From what i have been reading I understand that you can change gems out in between matches, so no need to worry that once you socket a gem the troop card is not permanently fixed forever.

I also understand that the gem color means u need one threshold of that gem in place for (effect to work?) example I have red gem socketed in my Warlock Inquisitor, but i wont get the effect until a red threshold has been achieved. However, i can still benefit from normal abilities..

What about raids/dungeons - can they be changed out in between encounters?

Final thought - what if a new champion for set two had an ability to socket a gem into a target troop. Lets say 4 charges for a minor gem and six for a major gem. would that be too powerful?

Thanks for your time - Shadowelf - in advance of course!

Shadowelf
09-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Are there any sapphire cards that are socketable?

Not among those revealed atm http://www.hex-datamine.com/cards.php

Are gems something to be assigned for matches or do you have to have them in your inventory? i.e looted them via playing or in booster packs, bought in auction, etc.

In other words, are they going to be a commodity in this game?

Gems and resources are free and unlimited. You just add them to your deck in deck creation.

From what i have been reading I understand that you can change gems out in between matches, so no need to worry that once you socket a gem the troop card is not permanently fixed forever.

I also understand that the gem color means u need one threshold of that gem in place for (effect to work?) example I have red gem socketed in my Warlock Inquisitor, but i wont get the effect until a red threshold has been achieved. However, i can still benefit from normal abilities..

Each gem will enhance the card it is socketed onto in some way, provided that you control at least one of the shard thresholds that is associated with that gem. If you don’t have that threshold, you can still play your card as normal, but that power won’t activate until you obtain the necessary threshold.

http://hextcg.com/socketed-cards/

What about raids/dungeons - can they be changed out in between encounters?

Final thought - what if a new champion for set two had an ability to socket a gem into a target troop. Lets say 4 charges for a minor gem and six for a major gem. would that be too powerful?

See above-gems only usable during deck creation

Thanks for your time - Shadowelf - in advance of course!

You are welcome :)

zadies
09-18-2013, 12:25 PM
The current design has you having four of each gem to use when designing your deck. Given you can't change cards out mid dungeon I court given socketing them is something you do when building the deck that you will be able to change mid way through.

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-18-2013, 12:27 PM
1. Not yet, but I'd be very surprised if there didn't end up being any.
2. I'm unsure of gem specifics outside of limited, but in limited (ie. drafts) I'm pretty sure you have full access to gems.
3. Following from 2, unsure, but I don't think so. However, there is a crafting system in PvE that could possibly produce gems.
4. Probably not between games or matches as that would be modifying your decklist. But between decks (and as such tournaments), sure, you can swap them out.
5. That's correct - gems do nothing unless you have the proper threshold.
6. It depends on decklists - if we can alter our decklists (not just sideboarding), we can probably change our gems. If we can't alter our decklists, we probably can't change our gems.
7. Gems are quite potent. Those charge powers might be ok, but depending on what gem got socketed, things could still get quite bonkers. Being able to give a 3 cost flying troop the blood discard-on-damage gem for 4 charges is pretty nasty.

Gwaer
09-18-2013, 12:43 PM
I doubt you'll be able to change them out in the middle of a dungeon. They pretty much nixed being able to alter your deck in dungeons, though dungeon mechanics will likely mess with your deck for the duration of the dungeon.

HyenaNipples
09-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Here's a question:

In Draft, the traditional 4 copy limit for cards is not in effect; you can play whatever you draft, even if that happens to be 20 copies of Murder.

Since gems are not drafted, will they retain their 4 copy limit in Limited formats?

I feel like they will retain that limit.

Shadowelf
09-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Here's a question:

In Draft, the traditional 4 copy limit for cards is not in effect; you can play whatever you draft, even if that happens to be 20 copies of Murder.

Since gems are not drafted, will they retain their 4 copy limit in Limited formats?

I feel like they will retain that limit.

Good question; yeah i too feel that they will retain the limit. But whatever their choice on this, it won't make much of a difference, since getting more than 4 of a card in draft is a rare event. You can either supplant the extra copies with something else or play the card without gems

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Man, if you get 5+ minor/major socket cards in a single draft deck you've done pretty well. I'm sure it'll happen to someone given an enormous number of drafts and the law of large numbers, but I'd love to be piloting that deck! :-P

It'll be something to test in alpha/beta though. Or to check in the rules if those are released to us.

Miwa
09-18-2013, 02:59 PM
I'd expect in drafts for gems to work like basic lands, you get whatever you want, since that's how they give them to you.

Shadowelf
09-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Ok running through my list of links i found that the limit of 4 applies to each individual gem; so even if you got a 5th copy of a card you can choose a different gem to socket in it. (provided that you also have the required threshold) Problem solved i think :)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-geek-allstars/id446568794?ign-mpt=uo%3D4 episode 54 check 0:18:20

The_Wine_Gnat
09-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Anyone know the answer to this?

You draft a minor/major socketed card.
You draw that card into your hand in a drafted game.
Do you socket it once it goes into your hand? Do you get to choose which gem goes into it based on the threshholds you have out? (ie: you have blood and ruby, do you get to choose which?)
Finally, in your next game (Swiss draft), is that same card now back to being unsocketed?

I'm curious about this as it gives you alot of flexibility when using multi colored threshhold decks for draft.

Gwaer
09-18-2013, 03:20 PM
You put gems in sockets during deck building.

Shadowelf
09-18-2013, 03:23 PM
You draft a minor/major socketed card.
You draw that card into your hand in a drafted game.
Do you socket it once it goes into your hand?

How is it going to work is like this; once you finish drafting, there will be an interface that you get to choose which gems to socket (clarification-before the game starts-thanks Gwaer !)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-geek-allstars/id446568794?ign-mpt=uo%3D4 check 0:18:20

Do you get to choose which gem goes into it based on the threshholds you have out? (ie: you have blood and ruby, do you get to choose which?)

Yes you get to choose based on your threshold. Why? (clarification although the fact that you get to choose based on your threshold is true, this happens during deck creation or before the games start and not mid game-thanks Gwaer & Aradon!)

Each gem will enhance the card it is socketed onto in some way, provided that you control at least one of the shard thresholds that is associated with that gem. If you don’t have that threshold, you can still play your card as normal, but that power won’t activate until you obtain the necessary threshold. (http://hextcg.com/socketed-cards/)

Finally, in your next game (Swiss draft), is that same card now back to being unsocketed?

No idea, but if i had to guess i'd say that it remains socketed

I'm curious about this as it gives you alot of flexibility when using multi colored threshhold decks for draft.

Heh they agree with you :)

As a note to more experienced TCG players, you’ll find that in addition to adding a lot of extra depth to constructed deck building, socketing also adds a new element to draft that has never been seen in a TCG before. To illustrate this with a simple example, let’s take Boulder Brute, a 5 cost 4/4. You could socket him with cost minus 1, and get a 4 cost 4/4, or +1/+1, and get a 5 casting cost 5/5. So, depending on where you’re light in your curve, Boulder Brute as a draft pick can function as either of those cards even within a deck that is solely Wild. Of course, if you’re playing more than one shard, he could fill any number of other roles as well!
(http://hextcg.com/socketed-cards/)

Aradon
09-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Gems that go in sockets are selected as you build your deck, not mid-game.

Gwaer
09-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Shadowelfs second answer is incorrect. You can socket whatever gems you like into the card the only limit is 4 of any single gem. You won't get to choose or change anything in game. It happens during your deck building before the game.

Shadowelf
09-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Shadowelfs second answer is incorrect. You can socket whatever gems you like into the card the only limit is 4 of any single gem. You won't get to choose or change anything in game. It happens during your deck building before the game.

It's not incorrect; you need to have the associated threshold to activate the power of the gem. Yeah you can put whatever gem you like, but there is no point playing a wild gem in a ruby deck. As for the limits i already explained them in previous page ;)

The_Wine_Gnat
09-18-2013, 03:42 PM
<3

Thanks everyone. That clears it up nicely. I was secretly hoping I could draw my socketed card, socket what I wanted in it right then, then play it. Makes more sense the way they have it set up though, especially with multi threshhold decks. Socketed cards are still a big draw to me in draft. :)

Gwaer
09-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Adaptable infusion devices? There are any number of ways to get threshold in a game that doesn't involve sources. Your answer is you get to choose based on your threshold. That's wrong.

Aradon
09-18-2013, 03:47 PM
I think he merely meant that, when socketing a gem, your choice is dictated by the thresholds your anticipating having access to, not that you socket midgame.

Shadowelf
09-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Adaptable infusion devices? There are any number of ways to get threshold in a game that doesn't involve sources. Your answer is you get to choose based on your threshold. That's wrong.

Ok; you make a wild/blood deck you get to (reasonably) choose gems based on that threshold unless you have a card/cards/alternate means that give you access to any other threshold. In that case you add gems based on the effect you will like to have (and the threshold that that card provides). Aren't you still choosing based on threshold ?

I think he merely meant that, when socketing a gem, your choice is dictated by the thresholds your anticipating having access to, not that you socket midgame.

Yeap this is what i meant exactly. Thanks

Also as i said above (with link) you choose which gems to socket before/while making a deck

Gwaer
09-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Your phrasing was misleading to people who don't understand how it works. Between my first comment reiterating that you choose your gems before the game starts I think it's much more clear now.

The guy asked if you choose gems based on the thresholds you have out, which you quoted and answered in the affirmative. I pointed out that the answer to his question was actually no. Why is this a thing we're now discussing?

HyenaNipples
09-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Champion Concept: 4 Charges- Add a gem to a empty socketed card in your hand.

Pick on the fly!

The_Wine_Gnat
09-18-2013, 08:22 PM

Pick on the fly!

That would be pretty cool, especially if you could pick any gem regardless of what threshholds you have out there.

Cory_Jones
09-19-2013, 12:39 AM

Pick on the fly!

Great idea! We have been playing around with gem space, we have some great stuff in set 2 :)

ossuary
09-19-2013, 04:32 AM
That's a neat idea, yeah. Nice one, HN. :)

It would need to be carefully balanced though. Like jaxson said earlier in the thread, being able to throw the ruby major discard gem onto a troop you know the opponent can't block with the existing boardstate could be too powerful. Maybe a different charge cost for minor / major? Or some kind of sacrifice has to be made to modify the unsocketed card?

It's definitely a cool idea worth investigating...