PDA

View Full Version : What is the cheapest Tablet I can play HEX on smothly?

Soldack
09-19-2013, 05:56 AM
I want to hide at work and play HEX so I want to buy the cheapest tablet I can that will play the game smoothly.

Any of you tech hardware types know what my best options are?

I prefer Android.

MoikPEI
09-19-2013, 06:03 AM
The performance of the game isn't yet known for any system, including PC.

Chiany
09-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Why do ppl keep posting this?

Just by an Ipad, you'll be happier in the long run.

ossuary
09-19-2013, 06:10 AM
"Spend more than twice as much on something that is more locked down. Our way is the only way."

Why do people keep posting THAT? :p

Truhls
09-19-2013, 06:12 AM
I dunno, i could spend 300 dollars and get better specs than the ipad. Without being limited by their terrible OS. The first gen ipod and first and second Iphone were worth the money. Everything they've made since has been done better for less. Fanboys will be fanboys *shrug*

blakegrandon
09-19-2013, 06:25 AM
I want to hide at work and play HEX so I want to buy the cheapest tablet I can that will play the game smoothly.

Or you could, work, you know... the thing you're getting paid to do?

That's assuming that your employer isn't kosher with you hiding and playing games as part of your job description, I work for family so I just communicate my needs and as long as my work gets done I can play games on the cash register computers.

I'm thinking of posting a sign that says Hex Game in Progress, we apologize for the long checkout lines. LOL

Niedar
09-19-2013, 06:28 AM
If you are buying a tablet for Hex don't do it right now, pretty simple answer. Hex will not be available on tablets for some time.

Hemotherapy
09-19-2013, 06:28 AM
As much as I hate to admit it I'll probably end up with an iPad just because you can play Hearthstone on it too.

Who knows...Maybe I won't give the company I dispise any money and just get andriod for hex.

Tablet with the most development for it on XDA gets my money :)

Shadowelf
09-19-2013, 06:32 AM
The performance of the game isn't yet known for any system, including PC.

True however Cory has said that Hex will be able to run to low end machines (http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874 check 1:07:10), so i bet that any among the new tablets will be able to run it. The question you have to ask yourself however is whether you will be buying your tablet specifically for hex, or to also run all sorts of new and future applications/games. This will define the price i think.

If you are buying a tablet for Hex don't do it right now, pretty simple answer. Hex will not be available on tablets for some time.

This is also sound advice; there is a good chance that we won't see hex on tablets till release, whenever that is (http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/31/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pvp-design-panel/ check 0:58:35)

Turtlewing
09-19-2013, 09:42 AM
"Spend more than twice as much on something that is more locked down. Our way is the only way."

Why do people keep posting THAT? :p

Because most people want a tool to do a job and to not have to worry about how/why it woks or configuring it to their personal specifications, and people who have specific needs outside the "walled garden" typically don't ask for advice from random strangers.

Thus "buy the one with training wheels" is typically the best advice you can give to people asking what tablet to buy.

Kami
09-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Except for the fact that he was asking for a cheap tablet. No Apple products are cheap.

At the moment, the best recommendation would be the Nexus 7 for a mid-size tablet with okay specs and price. Alternatively, you can wait for the new Nexus 10 that's currently in development by Asus (rumours).

Personally, I'm going for the high-end and waiting for the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity (TF701T) whose ETA is roughly November or as late as early 2014.

Glognar
09-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Why do ppl keep posting this?

Just by an Ipad, you'll be happier in the long run.

How can anyone be happy with an overpriced Apple device?

Quasari
09-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Nexus device or Ipad. Nexus' will get the most support due to being Google's device. Ipad because they'll get more support longer. The higher end android tablets are ok, but you still run into issues due to how diverse the android platform is. Nexus 7 2013 > current Ipad minis though.

NULL_VALUE
09-19-2013, 01:31 PM
I'll probably buy a win8 tablet. I already got win8 on my PC and i like it. So even when Hex will take some time to be released on tablets, win8-tablets will be able to run it^^.
If you want to do the same I would advice you to wait until release though, because atm win8-tablets are quiet expensive and anything you can buy now you can also buy later for less money.

Gwaer
09-19-2013, 01:37 PM
It's funny that null_value likes windows 8, because no one likes windows 8.

HyenaNipples
09-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Apple posted a huge drop in revenue this year. I think the ignorant masses they lured into the world of technology are finally getting wise to what everyone else knows: Apple products are overpriced, often inferior, and their OS locks you out of 90% of what's available.

Empyrium
09-19-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm waiting for the new 12 inches tablet by Samsung, or something at least 12 inches big, with a resolution of 2560X1600 at the least.

I'm mildly curious about the Slate21 by HP, but the resolution is very low at 1080p, and I don't think I could play with a 21 inches tablet on my lap... :)

Quasari
09-19-2013, 02:01 PM
It's funny that null_value likes windows 8, because no one likes windows 8.

It's funny because I sell a lot of computers. I get people all the time that ask if it's got windows 8 and scoff when it does. When I ask them what they dislike about it, it's usually that it's different. The more tech savvy will talk about how the windows store is a closed loop and how tiles don't belong on desktops. Honestly, I don't care either way. Windows 8 works fine, just use the search first method of finding underused programs and pin your important ones, just like most people have been doing for a long time.

I love the surface pros, it's a works really well on that. However I didn't get one due to price.

Kami
09-19-2013, 02:17 PM
The main thing I hate about most, if not all, Windows 8 tablets right now it the battery life.

Jeronan
09-19-2013, 02:28 PM
The main thing I hate about most, if not all, Windows 8 tablets right now it the battery life.

Which is gonna change With the New Haswell CPU equiped tablets releasing this fall / Winter.

Intel was just late in the game With proper tablet optimized CPU's. You can't blame Windows 8 for that.

I currently use and love the iPad (best for Reading digital Magazines), but I am also looking forward to the New Surface Pro 2. :-)

Miwa
09-19-2013, 03:28 PM
I love my Surface RT, and I'll get a Surface 2. Probably wont run Hex, but it's too nice to pass up. (16:9, quality construction, USB port, does exactly what I need it to do)

Undecided which ultrabook will replace my 2011 9 Series... there's lots of nifty stuff coming, Could be one of the Sony multi-flip machines though...

keldrin
09-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Well, what about the Nook HD+
9" screen
1.5 GHz OMAP4470 Dual-Core Processor
16GB of memory
Blue tooth (so you can use blue tooth keyboard and mouse)
And, you can add a 32GB micro SD card if you want.
it has google play. And can be taken down to a android tablet if needed, according to the CNET review
Barnes and Noble are getting out of the color tablet market,
So the tablet that used to cost $279
is now $149 shipped.

Xenavire
09-20-2013, 03:24 AM
I don't know jack about tablets, mostly because they never interested me. But I have to ask, wouldn't it be nearly as cost effective and useful in the long run to get a half decent laptop? For Hex specifically.

To me that makes sense, but I am a little biased against tablets.

Soldack
09-20-2013, 03:51 AM
I don't know jack about tablets, mostly because they never interested me. But I have to ask, wouldn't it be nearly as cost effective and useful in the long run to get a half decent laptop? For Hex specifically.

Tablet is easier to hide at work...

Kami
09-20-2013, 03:51 AM

Laptop isn't as portable nor have as great a battery life. That and many people already have one.

Even an ultrabook is still significantly larger than a tablet. Not to mention they cost on average double a tablet's price or more.

keldrin
09-20-2013, 03:56 AM
Laptop isn't as portable nor have as great a battery life. That and many people already have one.

Even an ultrabook is still significantly larger than a tablet. Not to mention they cost on average double a tablet's price or more.

True. My laptop cost me around $875.
Of course, I don't have to hide my laptop at work.
In fact, I'm on it at work right now, sitting in the med room.
It does help that I'm a super user on the hospital computer.

SuperPueppi
09-20-2013, 03:58 AM
laptop for hex depends on whether you want to do other stuff with it too and if you have a regular PC as well. If it's more than browsing and hex and you don't have another PC, i would say yes, rather go for a laptop. If it's just Hex and potentially browsing, I would go for a tablet; if the ui is designed properly playing a TCG with touchscreen will be far more intuitive than with a laptop.

My wife and me have all three options here, first gen ipad (my least fav option actually), decent macbook air, and top notch PC connected to 50inch TV.

While I tend to play games and typing-intensive internet on the PC, I rather browse or look up things quickly with the laptop or ipad of course. Since Hex isn't requiring you to pay attention every second and music might not be too important either I could think however about playing (PvE) hex on the tablet (might even go for my own tablet there - not with half-eaten apples on it) as it would allow me to play a quick game in between other things or while sitting with my wife on the couch - sitting in my own room with the PC is always basically shutting me out of everything else.
But let's see when they release it for tablets and on which OS. Apple would be the more reasonable choice from biz perspective or isn't the majority in the US using apple tablet/laptops?

nekoangel
09-20-2013, 06:01 AM
Except for the fact that he was asking for a cheap tablet. No Apple products are cheap.

At the moment, the best recommendation would be the Nexus 7 for a mid-size tablet with okay specs and price. Alternatively, you can wait for the new Nexus 10 that's currently in development by Asus (rumours).

Personally, I'm going for the high-end and waiting for the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity (TF701T) whose ETA is roughly November or as late as early 2014.

This man has style.

I have a tf 300 with the dock so not only can I touch I hve a full keyboard a mouse and 5 hours of extra battery, let alone the usb and sd card slot it adds.

Mine set me back 300 pounds just about 9 months ago. Best tablet ever.

ZenBuddhist
09-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Something else to consider is VPN (connecting to a computer remotely). You don't need to concern yourself with buying the tablet with the "best" specs. So long as you have a system (workstation or laptop) upon which you can leave Hex running while you are at work, you need only the barest of tablets which offer a VPN client so that you can remote into your home computer.

This is how I have been playing Hearthstone since getting into the beta. I have it set to a low resolution, which may look bad on computers, but looks stunning on a tablet when connecting remotely. I've done this for several games with varying degrees of success depending on the games and VPN clients I've tested.

Currently, I do so on my 3rd generation iPad. Please, keep your Apple hatred to yourself. Without sounding like a fanboy, nothing speaks to a person's technical ignorance than universally blasting any developer or hardware manufacturer. As any tradesperson will tell you, it's all about the right tool for the right job (which is why I use both Apple and Microsoft products). The iPad has the advantage of having a massive App store... essentially the biggest toolshed on the block, which means you often can find the right tool for the right job.

That said, there's something to be said for Android tablets as well (depending on manufacturer) and I am intending on picking up a Surface Pro 2 when it comes out due to its strengths.

Due to a physical disability, I am forced to use my tablet extensively to connect to the various computers in our home. I've tested a lot of different VPN clients, from paid clients, to subscription models, to free apps, and my favorite as of late has been Splashtop 2, which you can often pick up on sale (retails for $9.99). It is highly configurable, allowing you to change the manner in which you move the mouse and click the buttons (to name a few settings), which makes it ideal for digital card games.

As I said, Hearthstone works and looks fantastic on it (I can post some screenshots if anyone is interested).

In terms of performance, it will of course run smoother within the same network, however you can connect over the internet as well. You will undoubtedly notice some lag, however due to any TCG's playstyle, a little bit of lag is not a problem... just don't wait till the last few seconds of your play timer to play and you'll be fine. Lightning reflexes aren't required to play a card.

The advantage to this suggestion is that you will be able to play the game immediately on your tablet, and once the game officially does come out on tablet, you will also have the device ready for it.

Taking into consideration your fiscal restraints, I would actually suggest the most inexpensive iPad you can get (whether 3rd or 4th generation, or the mini). There are fantastic Android tablets out there, however to get anything of quality, you are spending as much as you would on an iPad in some cases. The Surface Pro is also a fantastic device, though still expensive and the Pro 2 will likely be just as expensive.

To address the "training wheels" comment earlier as it pertains to my suggestion, I'm a tech going on three decades working in IT for the federal government, and I try to always recommend the right tool for the right job, taking into consideration the client's needs and experience. And I've recommended iPads to everyone from complete novices to highly skilled technical folks who use the device in the workplace for everything from data processing/entry to VPN tech support and more.

Plus, there are several other fantastic DTCGs that have clients out on the App Store which you can also enjoy; there's no rule that says you have to only play Hex ;)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer as best I can.

keldon
09-20-2013, 02:01 PM
what i would like to know will we be able to play hex on the ouya, gamestick or any of the other andriod based gaming tech.

QuantumZeruul
09-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Let me throw in my suggestion for the Nexus 10. I picked up one of these a few weeks ago, and the tablet is excellent. Great display, and fairly decent battery life from what I have experienced so far.

Deathfog
09-20-2013, 06:21 PM
There are decent 4.0 running, Google Play enabled, 7 inch tablets that you can get for $70 on sale. A Hastings near me has a basic new model something platinum that I got to use as a kid's tablet for that much that is surprisingly functional. Its not nearly as fast or pretty on the screenage as a Galaxy Tab 2, but highly useful for the price.

Mr.Funsocks
09-21-2013, 09:47 AM
I dunno how the new Transformer is gonna be, but I have a Transformer Prime, and compared to my GF's Nexus 7, it's a pile of shite. Hangs a lot and is massively slow. I think I'm gonna jailbreak it at some point and get rid of Asus' bloatware and see if it helps.

nekoangel
09-21-2013, 10:13 AM
I dunno how the new Transformer is gonna be, but I have a Transformer Prime, and compared to my GF's Nexus 7, it's a pile of shite. Hangs a lot and is massively slow. I think I'm gonna jailbreak it at some point and get rid of Asus' bloatware and see if it helps.

sad to hear that mate, mine works like a boss.

i use it as a second monitor for the desktop as well as remote access and for portable emulators with no problems at all, that being said mine one generation after yours i think.

nexus models are awesome too, there asus built i think so quality parts are assured.

i think for now though if we want use tablet we will all be streaming with splashtop or something similar at alpha.

jetah
09-21-2013, 10:51 AM
My question is "will we beable to seemlessly switch between pc and tablet".

I use my PC but when I have to bio, I'd like to bring a laptop/tablet/phone to continue my match (if they're indeed lasting 3 hours average).

Mr.Funsocks
09-21-2013, 11:49 AM

I use my PC but when I have to bio, I'd like to bring a laptop/tablet/phone to continue my match (if they're indeed lasting 3 hours average).

How goddamn long are you on the toilet that that's an issue? Take the 30 seconds to go potty, then just come back... If it's taking you much longer, get your prostate checked and/or change your diet.

jetah
09-21-2013, 02:20 PM
You know i completely forgot that you could use Bluestacks to emulate a tablet and have HEX on a pc/mac.

How goddamn long are you on the toilet that that's an issue? Take the 30 seconds to go potty, then just come back... If it's taking you much longer, get your prostate checked and/or change your diet.

as long as it takes to finish. i'm not talking about taking a piss. i'm talking about defecating. which shouldn't be done in 30 seconds.

Mr.Funsocks
09-21-2013, 03:28 PM
as long as it takes to finish. i'm not talking about taking a piss. i'm talking about defecating. which shouldn't be done in 30 seconds.

Yes... yes it should. A minute or two, tops. If you regularly are on the can longer than that, you either need to eat more veggies, or you have a disorder like irritable bowel syndrome or chronic constipation or something. I'm not even kidding, that could be the sign of a serious problem.

BongoBong
09-21-2013, 04:06 PM

I doubt there will be specific functionality to switch mid game from PC to tablet. You could easily get a program to remote into your pc from your tablet though, which would solve your problem.

Xenavire
09-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Yes... yes it should. A minute or two, tops. If you regularly are on the can longer than that, you either need to eat more veggies, or you have a disorder like irritable bowel syndrome or chronic constipation or something. I'm not even kidding, that could be the sign of a serious problem.

IBS sucks, and is getting more and more common these days. And when you have IBS, it really does take as long as it takes. And you have to account for washing up time too - you dont just drop one and leave without wiping and washing your hands (unless you are a caveman.)

So in some cases, playing a match could cause some issues if you can't swap to your tablet etc, but I would think that most grown people would know their bowels well enough to plan their gametime. I mean if I feel a dump coming, I dont jump into a 3 hour multiplayer game.

HyenaNipples
09-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Two minute defecation? Why the rush? I usually get through 15 pages of whatever I'm reading before I feel the need to get on with the whole thing.

Mr.Funsocks
09-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Two minute defecation? Why the rush? I usually get through 15 pages of whatever I'm reading before I feel the need to get on with the whole thing.

Well that's just stalling :-P

Seriously though, bio breaks shouldn't really be that big of an issue that you need to switch to a tablet to avoid timing out mid-game.

jetah
09-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Seriously though, bio breaks shouldn't really be that big of an issue that you need to switch to a tablet to avoid timing out mid-game.

Anyways, switching on the fly could be good if a spouse needs to go somewhere and you have to tag along. at least you could swap to a tablet and continue the match.

if you decide to HEX outside.