PDA

View Full Version : Hex going to be able to handle the traffic?

Yasi
09-19-2013, 09:36 AM
This site be lagging since a day ago and wondering if it's going to be like Diablo 3 where nobody can log into the game. Cryptozoic specialize in making card games but this is their first online game and even veterans like Blizzard has trouble with this.

MoikPEI
09-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Alpha is being opened in phases by tier.
Most people should not experience any issues.

Kami
09-19-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't think it'll be a huge issue unless a magnitude of an order or more sign-in than expected simultaneously.

Currently Hex will unlikely transmit a lot of data since it does not have constantly changing data - only when an action is made. Diablo 3 on the other hand has data that changes on a real-time basis (movement, AI control, etc.).

Yasi
09-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Alpha is being opened in phases by tier.
Really...

Shadowelf
09-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Really...

Also, Alpha access will be granted in phases. However, there won’t be an appreciable time difference (no more than a couple of days) between the different phases. They’re still working out the details on who gets slightly earlier access – some combination of level of Kickstarter tier and when you made your pledge most likely. (http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/31/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pvp-design-panel/)

As for the server, Cory has said that they will partner up with a battle hardened crew concerning platform support, and that the game is pretty slick when it comes to bandwith; so he thinks that everything will be fine (http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874 check 1:06:10)

nicosharp
09-19-2013, 10:11 AM
For the data being exchanged, Hex is really an oversized MSN chat-room. For where we are at with packet exchanges in both PC and mobile platform gaming, maintaining a large user base should not be very challenging when limited packets are being exchanged and validated.

MoonSohn
09-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Shadowelf, always with all the answers. When is Cory going to hire you?

MoikPEI
09-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Shadowelf for Community Manager.

bofedy
09-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Sadly Shadowelf is an A.I. i made to find answers to the worlds worst problems but it seems that hex is so big that any problem with hex the A.I. has to find the answers.

Soldack
09-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Question about the Alpha in phases...

"No more than a couple of days" does that refer to the first person to the last person getting into alpha, or is that a couple of days between each wave, so 10 waves could be 20 days until so of us late comers are in and playing?

Shadowelf
09-19-2013, 12:55 PM

"No more than a couple of days" does that refer to the first person to the last person getting into alpha, or is that a couple of days between each wave, so 10 waves could be 20 days until so of us late comers are in and playing?

The way i'm reading it and especially this part there won’t be an appreciable time difference (no more than a couple of days) between the different phases, is that it would be a couple of days between phases. But i don't think there will be 10 waves; more like 3-4

Soldack
09-19-2013, 01:05 PM

The_Wine_Gnat
09-19-2013, 01:56 PM
It'll probably be as Shadowelf stated, over a couple of days. I am personally very excited and anxious to explore the cards. Very much looking forward to testing draft for bugs as well.

Shadowelf
09-19-2013, 04:53 PM
It'll probably be as Shadowelf stated, over a couple of days. I am personally very excited and anxious to explore the cards. Very much looking forward to testing draft for bugs as well.

Note that draft won't probably be available day 1, but one of the features they will slowly incorporate later on ( http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/31/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pvp-design-panel/ check 0:36:05)

MoikPEI
09-19-2013, 05:15 PM
I think Gwaer said he got a direct/personal confirmation from Cory of Draft being in at alpha release.

On the subject of waves, I think it's going to be:
- Guild Leader+, Friday to Monday (4k max accounts, less mergers)
- King on Monday (3k more accounts)
- Champion to Warrior on Tuesday (4k more accounts)
- Squire on Wednesday (3k accounts)
- Slacker on Thursday (???)

Everyone on deck in under a week while easing in load and identifying/fixing load issues before the first full-load weekend.

Shadowelf
09-19-2013, 05:42 PM
I think Gwaer said he got a direct/personal confirmation from Cory of Draft being in at alpha release.

I though he confirmed that draft will be in Alpha, but didn't specify whether it will be at release or rolled out later on. Anyway no big deal :)

On the subject of waves, I think it's going to be:
- Guild Leader+, Friday to Monday (4k max accounts, less mergers)
- King on Monday (3k more accounts)
- Champion to Warrior on Tuesday (4k more accounts)
- Squire on Wednesday (3k accounts)
- Slacker on Thursday (???)

Sounds reasonable. As for the slacker backer numbers, Cory said that there were well over 20k backers by DragonCon. So given the fact that KS had ~ 17700 backers, 2000 unique SB isn't unreasonable, given the fact that there were 839 two months ago (update #39 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/550969#comments)

He provided a couple of additional interesting tidbits. There are well over 20K backers at this point with more than 14K unique
(http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/31/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pvp-design-panel/)

keroko
09-19-2013, 05:48 PM
@OP - its interesting to consider the game traffic.

In something like a diablo 3 or a guild wars 2 or a wow you have what amounts to a constant stream of player input which varies around a norm of data transport for it per unit time.
I've heard quotes of ~50kB/s for something like an mmo sustained with spikes. (I'm too lazy but you could see yourself with a network monitor app like wireshark, or even some firewall / NIC management apps)

these days its expected to be encrypted, so you've a huge number of incoming SSL connections to deal with. So many so in fact that it'd likely overwhelm a system trying to double duty as a game application server (server application handler pieces for the client to connect to). so they use hardware ssl accelerators and may pipe the traffic in clear for the last link or two to the boxes.

but... hex is turn based!

so its much lighter. there'll be bursty parts, like if the client syncs offline changes to decks at logon and pulls your server side info to a new client install etc.

...but should be quite light in the grand scale of things.

chat is a more constant load, not sure how they're implementing it and how that'll scale. they don't tell us the secrets.

Chark
09-19-2013, 06:29 PM
This site be lagging since a day ago and wondering if it's going to be like Diablo 3 where nobody can log into the game. Cryptozoic specialize in making card games but this is their first online game and even veterans like Blizzard has trouble with this.

This is a bit of a troll, but I'll bite:

It's unreasonable to think that servers used to handle web traffic and these forums will be used for the game platform

Stok3d
09-19-2013, 06:34 PM
This is a bit of a troll

You are correct. Closing Thread.