PDA

View Full Version : Allowable user name characters for Hex

Juve
09-18-2013, 06:02 AM
do we know anything about the rules of making names in hex ? like can we use big letters, numbers, -_:" ?

Shadowelf
09-18-2013, 06:11 AM
do we know anything about the rules of making names in hex ? like can we use big letters, numbers, -_:" ?

No info whatsoever; but we will know in a few weeks once we get to create an account

Juve
09-18-2013, 06:20 AM
No info whatsoever; but we will know in a few weeks once we get to create an account

sure, but i would like to know that before, especially if we have only one chance to make a name. I hope for some tips,info,rules before we will be able to choose name in game

Xenavire
09-18-2013, 06:22 AM
I know several people would be happy to have any character available, but I the the feeling we won't be seeing anything like ě and . The rest I can see happening.

As much as I hate to say it though, I would prefer plain letters only, and numbers. Having to type out something when you can't tell which of the many different a's you need to type makes things overly difficult when trying to whisper or trade. I don't care if your nick was already taken, you don't need to be called ~Sprmn34~, you just need to be more inventive.

Juve
09-18-2013, 06:34 AM
i have few ideas so i dont worry, but for example some ppl could want to have somethink like first and last name, and imo it could look better with spacebar or ".-_ uppercase letters" at least.

Kami
09-18-2013, 06:41 AM
I'd say if they were going to allow symbols and characters it would be based on the US 101 keyboard standard. I mean, can you imagine trying to message somebody with characters in their name you can't type?

Hemotherapy
09-18-2013, 07:06 AM
I'd say if they were going to allow symbols and characters it would be based on the US 101 keyboard standard. I mean, can you imagine trying to message somebody with characters in their name you can't type?

That would be frustrating, having to look up all the alt codes for their name.

As long as the name doesn't include those I'm fine with w/e.

Xenavire
09-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Yeah, that is exactly my point. I can type those letter on my phone (previous post) but I need weird workarounds for my PC. And those tend not to work when you need them to (example, WoW.)

Being part of the international community, I can see the Europeans being frustrated, but a lot of the standard keyboards around do not have all those characters - I live in a country where English isn't even officially the second language (though a large number can and will speak it if needed) but all the keyboards are standard issue.

I think CZE has probably already considered this though, and I imagine they have decided against using those characters for these and more reasons (similarly, Blizzard recently locked off those characters in certain countries.) If they do use them, they will have a good reason.

Rieper
09-18-2013, 07:57 AM

but but, are cool!!
(No never used em for a name in game).

Juve
09-18-2013, 08:01 AM
just too be clear, i am asking just for uppercase letters, spacebar, numbers and standarts characters mabye, that add flexibility in creating names. I too dont want strange characters

Xenavire
09-18-2013, 08:05 AM
I hope spacebar at least, or they allow a naming system to put in multiple names or nicknames. Numbers are fine (but do annoy the crap out of me when I see something like Jamie98) and capital letters are a given (again, use of that can annoy me, like xXInsertnamehereXx).

But people will be annoying no matter what, so anything on a standard keyboard should be allowed, within reason. I don't want to try and whisper $$Godfrey$$ any more than I would want to GoDFReY. Sadly, people tend to lack common sense or decency when creating names.

Clortbags
09-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Hmmm won't we just be using our registered forum account name or is there the option / need to create multiple characters per account within the game?

Shadowelf
09-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Hmmm won't we just be using our registered forum account name or is there the option / need to create multiple characters per account within the game?

You will create an/one account (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:26:44) and you can have multiple characters in that account (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:25:45). I don't think that your forum account will have anything to do with it, but we will know further details at friday's update

Clortbags
09-18-2013, 09:25 AM
I see...

Roll on Friday! :)

Ogodei
09-18-2013, 10:01 AM
I know several people would be happy to have any character available, but I the the feeling we won't be seeing anything like ě and . The rest I can see happening.

As much as I hate to say it though, I would prefer plain letters only, and numbers. Having to type out something when you can't tell which of the many different a's you need to type makes things overly difficult when trying to whisper or trade. I don't care if your nick was already taken, you don't need to be called ~Sprmn34~, you just need to be more inventive.

My english-speaking friends do realize these letters aren't there for fun but there are actually people in other countries called Gnther, Sren or Andr?

Corpselocker
09-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Yes, need to know if my handle will be: l337 H3xx0r or leet_hexxor.

Xenavire
09-18-2013, 11:16 AM
My english-speaking friends do realize these letters aren't there for fun but there are actually people in other countries called Gnther, Sren or Andr?

I know this, but typically a nickname/account name is not a real name. And it would be equal for everyone, and avoid ingame issues. I have a good friend who has a name with those characters, but he has a nickname/account name that does not include them, and he uses it everywhere.

I wouldn't suggest it just to be a jerk, but to limit ingame problems.

Auriok
09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
imo numbers only. no letters. letters give you change to abuse my mother with names like "iduckyourmombitch"
numbers would be best way to give knowledge who are you playing against but nothing more

Yasi
09-18-2013, 11:48 AM
imo numbers only. no letters. letters give you change to abuse my mother with names like "iduckyourmombitch"
numbers would be best way to give knowledge who are you playing against but nothing more

I'm going to take a step further with this idea and suggest that everyone should have a tag similar to Blizzard's system. Have it be Hexer#10000001 and Hexer#10000002

Xenavire
09-18-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm going to take a step further with this idea and suggest that everyone should have a tag similar to Blizzard's system. Have it be Hexer#10000001 and Hexer#10000002

I was actually thinking about this as well, and I think it would be a good idea. Having a form of battle tag (or 'hex tag') would be very helpful, especially in tournaments and rankings. If it helps to make whispering easier, then thats just great.

Gwaer
09-18-2013, 11:57 AM
I loathe and despise the battle tag system.

jetah
09-18-2013, 12:03 PM
I like both the hTag (hex tag) and unique account names. I like Neverwinter in that character names are not unique.

What we don't know is will we have a unique account name or will the hero's have unique names. Personally I'd prefer unique account name where I could name all my characters the same name but other players could have the same name as well.

Why?

RealID is for friends you trust with your full name.

Battle tag is fo

Yasi
09-18-2013, 12:03 PM
I hope they have a "name change" feature in place for people who want to change their name. With some restrictions of course but I don't see why not. Everything is account bounded so it only make sense.

Xenavire
09-18-2013, 12:04 PM

Can I ask why? I have only found it helpful, far better for the social aspect of blizzard games. In fact, it is one of the better additions they have made in recent years. (Far better than handing out your email address to random people.)

As long as it is done nicely, you can have your nickname, your tag, and your account name, and which ones you want to share is completely up to you.

Yasi
09-18-2013, 12:04 PM
which ones you want to share is completely up to you.

This is the game changer right here. Hex is one of the first of its kind so making it right the first time around wouldn't hurt.

Gwaer
09-18-2013, 12:08 PM
I just dislike that they assign random numbers at the end of your name. I can never remember them. If I could have picked the numbers. Maybe. I just really disliked the implementation.

jetah
09-18-2013, 12:15 PM
I just dislike that they assign random numbers at the end of your name. I can never remember them. If I could have picked the numbers. Maybe. I just really disliked the implementation.

that i agree with. think mine were 1622 or 1644.. it was 16 something...

If we could pick our HEX Tag then it'd be ok.

Miwa
09-18-2013, 01:03 PM
I will opt for the name:

); DROP TABLE Cards;

:P

Auriok
09-18-2013, 02:13 PM
I just dislike that they assign random numbers at the end of your name. I can never remember them.

if remembering few numbers is hard for you, you should not play this game. Memory is so big part of this game

Gwaer
09-18-2013, 02:40 PM
if remembering few numbers is hard for you, you should not play this game. Memory is so big part of this game
Remembering irrelevant numbers that are arbitrarily assigned to the end of my username is most definitely not a big part of this game

Miwa
09-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Well, the benefit to those random numbers is it allows you to use whatever name you want. Which I think is a much better thing than allowing name-squatting or worrying about a name land-rush. Accounts need to be unique, but there's no reason (other than vanity) that user names can't have a non-unique part, and an added random tag to make them unique. (Making those numbers non-random feeds vanity also)

Xenavire
09-18-2013, 04:09 PM

I agree with you actually, but since there were many ways to check your own one from ingame, and the chat features only needed you to add a person one time, it didn't ever bother me.

But I am not the most social guy.

I wonder if they could let the tags be chosen, and be a 4, 6, or 8 digit letter/number combination (after your nickname.) Example: Xenavire#Xen123

Auriok
09-19-2013, 12:53 AM
Remembering irrelevant numbers that are arbitrarily assigned to the end of my username is most definitely not a big part of this game
u missed my point...
if few numbers is hard. then you also have hard time remembering what cards you passed in draft, or what cards enemy played 3rounds ago or if enemy played X card maybe he also plays Y card

Soul-of-Void
09-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Remembering something that is more or less important than remembering something that got no importance to us at all, are two different things.

keldrin
09-19-2013, 01:38 AM
just too be clear, i am asking just for uppercase letters, spacebar, numbers and standarts characters mabye, that add flexibility in creating names. I too dont want strange characters

Strange Character...
I kinda like that name.

LNQ
09-19-2013, 03:37 AM
Being part of the international community, I can see the Europeans being frustrated ...

Honestly, as an European who uses and in their language, I really don't mind not being able to use them. I actually prefer not having them available as all it does is create confusion. Has never bothered me.

Xenavire
09-19-2013, 04:30 AM
Honestly, as an European who uses and in their language, I really don't mind not being able to use them. I actually prefer not having them available as all it does is create confusion. Has never bothered me.

This is exactly what I assumed. Some might be frustrated, but large portions of the internet make those names either impossible, or annoying to use, so most people would be used to it by now.

Ju66ernaut
09-19-2013, 05:42 AM
Ken: "Hey man, you play Hex?"
Randy: "Heck yea I do! You'll never bear my Shroomonger deck!"
Ken: "Challenge accepted! What's your screen name?"
Randy: "Dr. Zoidberg."
-----
2 hours later
-----
Ken Text: "WTH, I can't find you in game what was your name again?"
Randy Text: "(V)(;,,;)(V)"

Hemotherapy
09-19-2013, 08:53 AM

I like the battle tag system :(

I get forgetting arbitrary numbers is easy, but they made it easy to find your battletag ID, it's not like you have to log out of the game or alt tab and go in depth on some account information page to find it.

Btw if you guys ever wanna play some hearthstone with me Hemo#1101 ;)

Xtopher
09-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Anyone know if we'll be able to have a space or use dashes or the wide range of characters that aren't abcdetc.?

Stok3d
09-19-2013, 05:16 PM

Without numbers I will R3volt!!! :p

Shadowelf
09-19-2013, 05:16 PM
There is already a thread with more or less the same topic below; the answer is that there is no way to know till we get to make one

Xtopher
09-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Doh. People need better thread titles. It didn't cross my mind that it was about this.

Nice ninja merge, btw, to whomever.