PDA

View Full Version : Will Hex PvP have formats like magic? (Type 1, 1x, 2)

Mooglewut
09-20-2013, 06:52 AM
I'm curious as I haven't seen this anywhere, and I've been asked by multiple people interested in the game.

With sets releasing, are we looking at something like "Only the most recent four sets used in competitive play, then another mode where anything goes with a small ban-list" or will everything be usable forever in the "competitive play" with a ban list?

I don't like bringing up the YuGiOh card game, since many MTG/Hex users don't seem too keen on it, but I like that anything all the way back to the first booster can and is viable in some fashion regardless of level of play and is allowed instead of only recent cards being used in competitive play. It offers, in my opinion, a lot of variety, creative deck building, and lets you continue using your favorite deck, simply improving it over time with new power creep instead of having to bench it because a new set came out.

Thanks!

Shadowelf
09-20-2013, 06:55 AM
They will be releasing 1 set every 4 months aka 3 sets a year, that will be forming a block and rotate every 2 years. So this will be inevitable later on (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ign-mpt=uo%3D4 episode 54 check 0:52:00)

Mooglewut
09-20-2013, 06:56 AM
That's a real shame... Hopefully there will be some popularity to something akin to a legacy format, then.

Kami
09-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Currently they are looking at two-block standard formats with a potential ban-list if certain cards are broken. Each block consists of three sets.

The current theory is:

1-2
1-2-3
1-2-3 4
1-2-3 4-5
1-2-3 4-5-6
4-5-6 7

They are already considering additional formats but given how we'll only have Set 1 and possibly Set 2 for a while, I don't think this is a major concern at the moment.

Sets are to be released once every four months (roughly).

There will hopefully be a variety of modes (and personally, I'm still hoping for a House Rules (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27355) (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27355&highlight=house+rules) custom mode) to keep you entertained. :)

I should note that they have not ruled out Legacy and various other formats for competitive play either.

Xenavire
09-20-2013, 06:58 AM
They will have more game modes as time goes on. They have constructed to start with, and will have legacy modes and probably a whole lot more, plus custom tournaments and leagues to accommodate people who dislike the standard modes.

Remember though, MtG started with only one format and evolved. Hex will have a headstart, and will grow as well.

Soul-of-Void
09-20-2013, 06:58 AM
It all depends how older cards will synergise with new ones, so we cant rly know only time will tell. What we know there will be printouts

Thaumasios
09-20-2013, 07:01 AM
I hope in eternal formats, however is early to speak about that.

Shadowelf
09-20-2013, 07:03 AM
That's a real shame... Hopefully there will be some popularity to something akin to a legacy format, then.

Legacy in mtg is my favorite format :) I hope something similar will be happening here, after some years. And it will judging by their wow tcg tournament structure/formats

CLASSIC (aka legacy in mtg)

Classic is a constructed tournament format. Constructed means that prior to the tournament, players create a deck out of their card collections to play in the tournament. There is no restriction to what cards players may use. All Classic tournaments may use either best-of-one or best-of-three game play. This format is slightly harder for new players, because some cards necessary for a deck strategy may have been out of print for some number of years.

To create a Classic legal tournament deck, players must choose a hero and build a 60 card deck, plus a 10 card side deck that follows deckbuilding rules outlined in Section 100 of the Comprehensive Rules. These rules include:

Using no more than 4 of a specific card
Making sure you match your hero's faction to your allies
Making sure that your hero's class matches abilities and equipment you play in your deck
Following any hero-specific deck building restrictions

(http://wowtcg.cryptozoic.com/tournament-formats)

Xenavire
09-20-2013, 07:06 AM
It all depends how older cards will synergise with new ones, so we cant rly know only time will tell. What we know there will be printouts

Were limited print runs ever confirmed? The last heard I heard was a wait and see attitude, where they would evaluate it after sets would rotate out.

Either way, legacy will be a thing, and fan-made formats might be supported.

Mooglewut
09-20-2013, 07:06 AM
That sounds a bit like Legacy/Modern to me! Haha.

I'd be thrilled to see something like that down the line. Obviously it's too early to worry about it since we're looking at... ALPHA STARTING SOON *confetti and party hats*, though it's definitely food for thought for what could come of it.

I love Legacy purely because it opens up so many options. IF you go to a current-block rotation Magic tournament or gathering, you see so many of the same decks. At a legacy game/get-together, you're likely to see anything!

I took my Kamigawa deck out for a spin a few months ago and saw a guy running a Sliver Overlord deck! Ha.

Thanks again, Shadowelf.

Icepick
09-20-2013, 07:09 AM
I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a format added that allowed the use of all the currently released cards, as soon as it becomes relevant to do so. There's plenty of scope for all kinds of formats as more and more sets get released, and the beauty of the digital nature of Hex is that they can (relatively) easily allow people to create their own formats, picking and choosing which sets are and aren't allowed to be played.

Xenavire
09-20-2013, 07:11 AM
I love casual multiplayer (4+ players) for exactly that reason, Mooglewut. Any deck, any random idea, you see so many crazy and cool ideas.

Mooglewut
09-20-2013, 07:15 AM
I love casual multiplayer (4+ players) for exactly that reason, Mooglewut. Any deck, any random idea, you see so many crazy and cool ideas.

It's good to see so many people want it implemented, as well. I knew it was one of the most popular modes, but I didn't realize the Hex community would want it in, as well!(:

Shadowelf
09-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Were limited print runs ever confirmed? The last heard I heard was a wait and see attitude, where they would evaluate it after sets would rotate out.

Either way, legacy will be a thing, and fan-made formats might be supported.

What they said is that they will be emulating physical tcg's print runs (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:34:05)

Mooglewut
09-20-2013, 07:50 AM
What they said is that they will be emulating physical tcg's print runs (http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:34:05)

This is actually a good idea on Cryto's part since it allows older cards to hold value.

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-20-2013, 08:23 AM
I doubt Hex 'vintage' would ever be the main format, given that it's more restrictive on new players entering the competitive scene (as once sets stop getting sold, the only way they'll have of getting any staples is to trade for them, whereas with a standard-esque format they'll be able to win prizes via on-demand queues, and get cards from those (as well as the cards straight up from drafting)). However, I also doubt that they wouldn't have it at all. They might have special dedicated tournaments for it, which would be cool, like once a month or once every few months (or if demand is high enough, on-demand queues for it).

It should certainly be an option for casual games though.