PDA

View Full Version : Games to wait with.

Aethernaut
09-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what card game or games people are playing as they wait for the start of alpha?

I have been digging into Magic 2014 myself. I played a lot of MTG back in the 90's, but have not played for a long, long time. I figured playing a little MTG would be good practice for HEX- something to get me thinking in that particular way that TCGs make you think, if you know what I mean.

ZenBuddhist
09-20-2013, 08:01 AM
I've been playing some Hearthstone, which has its pros and cons, like any other game. It certainly does not have the lasting appeal of more traditional TCGs, in my opinion, but is still fun to play.

Might & Magic Duel of Champions is still fun too, though they desperately need to add more cards/decks so that we get more variety... it's not fun always going up against the same decks. That's one way in which Hex will be different, due to the sheer number of decks which will be available, let alone those we create.

SolForge is also quite good.

I picked up Magic 2014 on the iPad and am loving the decks. I'm a massive Magic fan however, having spent years playing the game with my kids.

Dralon
09-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Hearthstone mostly, though I'll fire up a quick solforge game, log on card hunter briefly. I lost interest in might and magic fairly quickly. Played magic 2014 and it is a ton of fun through the campaigns. But then gets repetitive. Hopefully I 1-2 weeks this question will be moot :)

Aethernaut
09-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Actually I have been playing a little SolForge and Card Hunter myself. I am still waiting for my Hearthstone beta invite.;-(. there are a lot of good TCG's out there at the moment, but none of them have me as excited as the idea of Hex.

Rendakor
09-20-2013, 08:37 AM
I've just been playing Final Fantasy XIV; I didn't see the point in getting into another card game with Hex around the corner.

ZenBuddhist
09-20-2013, 08:44 AM
I've just been playing Final Fantasy XIV; I didn't see the point in getting into another card game with Hex around the corner.

I saw the SWTOR promo going on, and strongly considered it as there are still storylines my son and I haven't finished, but then with the HEX alpha dropping so soon, there just won't be time.

drachenfells
09-20-2013, 08:52 AM
I have been playing a bit of SolForge and rather enjoying it. Hopefully I`ll get a chance to play some Hearthstone soon.

Corpselocker
09-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Might and Magic VI. Aside from terrible controls, this 15 yr old game is a blast.

Barkam
09-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Card Hunter

Vibraxus
09-20-2013, 10:51 AM
I have been playing a bit of SolForge and rather enjoying it. Hopefully I`ll get a chance to play some Hearthstone soon.

VI is one of my favorites. I just bought 1-9 for 15 bucks from GOG.com and prepurchased X...its very fun also.

DrVanPorcine
09-20-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm playing a lot of Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords
Not a TCG or CCG (more like a Living Card Game from Fantasy Flight)
Fun to play solo too... Waiting for Adventure Path add-on.

Glognar
09-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Tried quite a few games recently.

Played Card Hunter beta, the single player is excellent and I highly recommand it, but the mutliplay was meh, usually is when its an afterthought to a game though, and I'm more of a multiplayer gamer.

I'm in the Infinity Wars beta, I like it alot, but its still very buggy (yes I know its a beta) and I don't feel like testing.finding bugs in a game too much when I know I won't be sticking with it for a long time.

Also been playing Kingdoms CCG and Might & Magic Duel of Champions, Doc is certainly alot more strategic than Kingdoms but other than that I'm not really interested in playing either long term, so just really logging in for daily rewards in case Hex falls on its face (unlikely) and I use one of these as a fallback.

Don't have Heathstone key, but from what I've seen I'd probably end up filing it under the kingdoms/DoC backet and not play it for anything other than when I felt like playing something casual.

MoikPEI
09-20-2013, 12:55 PM
http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

QuartZ
09-20-2013, 01:11 PM
I've been playing Path of Exile for almost a year now and i just love this game. Its not a TCG though.
for TCG I've been on Infinity Wars for almost 2 months, someone gave me a key in this very forum. Gotta say that game really rocks, a lot bettter then all others dTCGs i tried and its still in beta. I thought i would just pass time in it until Hex but now im sure i will be playying it for some time.

Aerensiniac
09-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Terraria 1.2
The revamp of the entire game is released at oct. 1

MoikPEI
09-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Terraria 1.2
Blerg, I was looking foward to Hex beating it to my available gaming time. :(

Soul-of-Void
09-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Waiting now to get key for Faeria beta if I wont get it dunno what to play :/

Shadowelf
09-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Might and Magic VI. Aside from terrible controls, this 15 yr old game is a blast.

My favorite rpg of all time along with Lands of Lore. Can't believe it has been mentioned here :)

As to what i'm playing to sweeten the time till Alpha, nothing digital; D&D 4th edition, Descent 2nd edition and mtg (legacy) with some friends

Cotton
09-20-2013, 02:24 PM
GTAV /End thread

QuantumZeruul
09-20-2013, 02:30 PM
I would suggest Minecraft, but I am biased :)

Jinxies
09-20-2013, 02:48 PM
I'll be playing Mechwarrior Online, Guns of Icarus, Natural Selection 2 and maybe a bit of League of Legends.

Vibraxus
09-20-2013, 02:56 PM
I've been playing Path of Exile for almost a year now and i just love this game. Its not a TCG though.
for TCG I've been on Infinity Wars for almost 2 months, someone gave me a key in this very forum. Gotta say that game really rocks, a lot bettter then all others dTCGs i tried and its still in beta. I thought i would just pass time in it until Hex but now im sure i will be playying it for some time.

I just got PoE Tuesday, Im hooked.

Aradon
09-20-2013, 03:06 PM
http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

Same for me. But I still hold the opinion that it should be a criminal offense to post links like that on public forums :P

Kami
09-20-2013, 03:23 PM
GTAV /End thread

I gave up on the GTA series after GTA3. Nearly every GTA after that only had Grand Theft Auto as a side-mechanism (i.e. stealing cars).

Now it's mostly flat-out violence, drugs, etc.

Xenavire
09-20-2013, 03:24 PM
GTAV /End thread

Not everyone worships GTA. I only really enjoyed San Andreas, the rest never really did it for me. I am actually getting really frustrated with everyone going on and on and on and on about GTAV. Am I the only one?

Jinxies
09-20-2013, 03:44 PM
I didn't really like any of the GTA games that were in 3d >.<'

majin
09-20-2013, 03:45 PM
guess i'll stick to MMDoC. Thankfully their new expansion is coming out before sept ends (based on their twitch a few hours ago).

OrpheusOverdrive
09-20-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm playing a lot of Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords
Not a TCG or CCG (more like a Living Card Game from Fantasy Flight)
Fun to play solo too... Waiting for Adventure Path add-on.

I'm assuming that is a tabletop and not computer. If so then I hear this game is very good as well but you can't play it alone: Android:Netrunner. It is based off of the old Netrunner tcg that Garfield created after Magic the Gathering.

Excellently produced tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y

Worth a watch if for nothing else than to see the quality that all tutorials should aspire to.

OrpheusOverdrive
09-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Incognita, Impossible-Ironman Xcom Enemy Unknown, Forge: http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=26 .

HyenaNipples
09-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Shout out to Minecraft. Just hopped onto the 360 version again to do some building.

MoikPEI
09-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Same for me. But I still hold the opinion that it should be a criminal offense to post links like that on public forums :P
i lol'd
True though.
I find it interesting that it's actuallu getting frequent updates as though it's a legit game. I think the creator must be making some money off it.

Empyrium
09-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Card Hunter.

DrVanPorcine
09-20-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm assuming that is a tabletop and not computer. If so then I hear this game is very good as well but you can't play it alone: Android:Netrunner. It is based off of the old Netrunner tcg that Garfield created after Magic the Gathering.

Excellently produced tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y

Worth a watch if for nothing else than to see the quality that all tutorials should aspire to.

Yes, Netrunner is a very good asymetrical card game... would be fun asymetrical level in HEX PVE :)

Jinxies
09-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Yes, Netrunner is a very good asymetrical card game... would be fun asymetrical level in HEX PVE :)
Yesss Netrunner is amazing!

Shadowelf
09-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Been playing netrunner too from time to time; currently i'm torn between Jinteki and HB as the corp of choice. For runners i play Kate since the beginning. Game is indeed awesome :)

Icepick
09-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Yeah Netrunner is brilliant, though I get to play it far too rarely.
Most of my game time has gone into Saints Row 4 lately. I'll take that over GTA any day!
Tried Ironclad Tactics yesterday - it's not too bad I suppose, though it's absolutely no fun at all in multiplayer, co-op or competitive.

wutae
09-20-2013, 05:11 PM
I actually thought of finding on some online database all hex cards revealed, print them and play with IRL Friends. :S , is that what they call "addiction"? Please doctor save me pleaaasseeee !!!

Stok3d
09-20-2013, 07:13 PM
I'll simply quote an earlier post that some may appreciate:

Issue: Quit Wow, sold out of MTGO, and am looking for something to hold me over until Hex Alpha comes out :p . Hex has really got me reminiscing about the original Duels of the Planeswalkers that I used to play on DOS. After looking to buy it again, I finally figured out out that this software is Abandonware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware) and posted freely on the net.

Solution: Apparently, there has been a whole underground movement to rewrite the software by the community so it can work on Windows 7&8 instead of just 16bit DOS. Long story short, I want to let you know that I am currently playing it now (file named Shandalar 2012) and thought others may be interested too. It's the old game rewritten to work 32/64bit. Go to This Site (http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=898&start=240) and you can find a complete description of all the efforts over the years and CirothUngol has download links in his sig.

Enjoy--I know I am :)

Kilo24
09-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Hmm. I've Shadowrun Returns awaiting my attention. I also recently played through Abyssal City: Valdis Story, a recent which managed to be the best Metroidvania game I've played despite its lack of technical polish.

Beyond that, I have a mess of neglected Steam games to play. Teleglitch, Frozen Synapse, Spec Ops: The Line, Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes and Dungeon Siege 3 are the ones I'm most likely to play, but there's really some more responsible things I should be doing. I might poke at Terraria 1.2, but maybe not.

Clay_B
09-21-2013, 05:55 AM
Terraria 1.2

Thanks for posting this, hadn't heard. I had been thinking about getting back into Terraria lately. Now I definitely will soon.

I'm using Solforge & Magic 2014 to bide my time until Hex. Plus resubbed to check out WoW's Org siege. Enjoying sol more than magic, but that's probably because it's quick & a bit fresh. New WoW is good, but nothing ground breaking.

Would love to test out GTA V, but will wait for PC- not paying 100AUD for PS3 games right before they try flog me a PS4. And waiting on Hearthstone

Kami
09-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Hmm. I've Shadowrun Returns awaiting my attention.

The main problem with Shadowrun Returns is the lack of official content. All that I've seen (and completed) thus far is the "Dead Man's Switch" chapter on the hardest difficulty. There are several fan-based ones but quality control is an issue - as with any create-your-own-content type game.

I have my playthrough currently archived on Twitch if you wanted to preview the game (caution: spoilers).

CoS
09-21-2013, 05:32 PM
I've been playing SolForge (I backed the kickstarter) and have a f2P account as well ( makes getting heroics exciting again). Also playing Decipher's Lord of the Rings CCG online via GEMP. Check my sig for a link...

dredcrow
09-21-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (ASCII version of course).

Banquetto
09-22-2013, 04:10 AM
Been playing Rise of Mythos (best F2P card game imho, in this pre-Hex world).. and also picked up Final Fantasy XIV a week back for some old-fashioned MMO fun.

Reraver
09-22-2013, 04:54 AM
League of Legends, surely I'm not the only player here :]

nrflorencio
09-22-2013, 05:09 AM
League of Legends, surely I'm not the only player here :]

Played for years. But got old

Clortbags
09-22-2013, 05:23 AM
Path of Exile / Hearthstone.

Harmonica
09-22-2013, 01:19 PM
i started playing kings and legends yesterday ist a neat little browsergame.
but you have to fight the urge to buy stuff in this one really hard.

Lunarath
09-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Started playing Guild wars 2 again. They made alot of updates, and i find it rather enjoyable again

Aradon
09-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Started playing Guild wars 2 again. They made alot of updates, and i find it rather enjoyable again

It's a good one to pick up and put down casually, that's for sure.

Corpselocker
09-22-2013, 03:37 PM
VI is one of my favorites. I just bought 1-9 for 15 bucks from GOG.com and prepurchased X...its very fun also.

Yes, my Might and Magic X prepurchase got me 6. I also grabbed Wizardry 8 from GOG for a few bucks as well. Love the old school, but with modern niceties like automapping.

Corpselocker
09-22-2013, 03:42 PM
The main problem with Shadowrun Returns is the lack of official content. All that I've seen (and completed) thus far is the "Dead Man's Switch" chapter on the hardest difficulty. There are several fan-based ones but quality control is an issue - as with any create-your-own-content type game.

I have my playthrough currently archived on Twitch if you wanted to preview the game (caution: spoilers).

I was surprised, but I didn't even finish Dead Man's Switch. I love isometrics, xcom junky, but I just found myself not entertained. I love a good story, but I just couldn't get into it.

ssg13
09-22-2013, 06:12 PM
I didin't get Hearthstone beta key and I got tired of doing giveaways. I bought MTG 2014 Duels of The planewalkers and I love it. It has tons of unlocking to last until Hex Alpha is out. Also if I run out of campaign there is new campaign as expansion. I might even try multiplayer if some of my friends buy it also.

I am completely MTG newbie, but damn even with ties to physical card game this is awesome. I can't wait to see what Hex does with digital only format.

Aradon
09-22-2013, 06:18 PM
I didin't get Hearthstone beta key and I got tired of doing giveaways. I bought MTG 2014 Duels of The planewalkers and I love it. It has tons of unlocking to last until Hex Alpha is out. Also if I run out of campaign there is new campaign as expansion. I might even try multiplayer if some of my friends buy it also.

I am completely MTG newbie, but damn even with ties to physical card game this is awesome. I can't wait to see what Hex does with digital only format.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, but just wait and see how it feels with free deck construction too :D
Duels was okay, but I found the inability to make my own deck to be very frustrating.

Xenavire
09-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Hex will be amazing in comparison. Magic 2014 (in fact almost all editions of Magic 20XX) are horrible compared to the real thing, just because they put so many limitations on you.

Hex will not be limiting you in any way (in comparison.)

ssg13
09-23-2013, 04:59 AM
I kinda like limitations for now. I really don't have any idea what cards are good etc. I think this is really good way of learning MTG(and Hex) mechanics. It will also help to learn about synergy,cards etc. If someone just gave me random set of 150 cards and told me to build deck and then play I would be horribly lost. I am sure that limitations will bother me at some point, but then if I am lucky I probably have already Hex alpha at least.

Gulbech
09-23-2013, 05:13 AM
In hex you will receive and be able to buy starter decks. Would be a bit the same, where the deck is premade to function. You will just be able to exchange all the cards you like, as you move forward so much bigger flexibility.

zadies
09-23-2013, 07:59 AM
2014 does have the sealed play mode for some basic deck construction.

BongoBong
09-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Been playing some Duels of Champions and it is quite a fun game. With a bunch of free promo codes, and rewards for doing the campaign/levelling up you can actually get quite a few cards quick and free. Maybe 8 hours of play and have 364 cards and enough currency to buy another box of the first set (another 120 cards). Just not sure if I should get another box of the first set or save up a bit more for a box of one of the newer sets.

If you are interested, here is a thread that shows the different codes to get free packs/currency

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/793789-All-the-possible-amp-WORKING-Promo-Codes!

nicosharp
09-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned:

www.humblebundle.com

It's hard to have time for a ton of different games, but this Indy bundle is amazing. Check it out, and for $5 you can get 8-9 amazing titles and their soundtracks. (FTL, Fez, Bastion - all amazing)

also - PAD - Puzzle and Dragons (super addictive iOS game) - bejewelled on crack.

Nessaj
09-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Dota 2 will always be played by me but...

The Hearthstone and MTGO streams on twitch and the Hex hype made me try Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers (I'm a TCG beginner but I already knew some basic rules and mechanics). Played it for 1 day and decided to try MTGO. Playing it for 3 days now and I'm loving it.

Urimagination
09-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Playing LoL/Dota well when my net is stable...

Also played Magic 2014. Want to jump onto MTGO, but not sure how much it would cost etc. Kind of waiting for hex as i dont feel i can afford the time/money for two TCG

Also had a go of SolForge. Not sure if its just me but it looked/felt terrible to play

RanaDunes
09-24-2013, 03:02 AM
SolForge; it's quite addictive and free to play line-based TCG.
It's really much better than how it looks like, give it a chance.

Chiany
09-24-2013, 03:15 AM
SolForge; it's quite addictive and free to play line-based TCG.
It's really much better than how it looks like, give it a chance.

I Kickstarted Solforge, luckily for a low amount.

It was fun in the beginning, but now Hex is coming, it's becoming clear what crap team made Solforge.
Not going to waste one more second on Solforge.

Anssi
09-24-2013, 03:49 AM

It was fun in the beginning, but now Hex is coming, it's becoming clear what crap team made Solforge.

Eh, I think Solforge looks much better than Hex currently. If I wanted to play magic, I'll play mtgo, not hex since one of them will actually still be around in 5 years. My only real issue with Solforge is the abundance of legendaries which makes them very hard to get.

RanaDunes
09-24-2013, 04:21 AM

I backed SolForge as well.
What part of the game makes you think the team behind it is crappy?
I'm intrigued. Is it the game design? or game balance? or FTP/Cash philosophy? or maybe just the UI or software itself?

I think SolForge is fun for what it is. A soothing game to play while listening to music. It still feels satisfying enough when you finish a half dozen of games per session. It's not meant to be compared to a fully fledged TCG; it was designed to be a simple game and that's how it was presented in the Kickstarter.

Sholynyk
09-24-2013, 10:29 AM
I just bought final fantasy 7 through steam. nostalgia is kicking in pretty bad now and I just gotta play it. Hopefully i dont finish it too quickly. but the chocobo track should keep me going for as long as need be if i do.

Aradon
09-24-2013, 10:36 AM
I wanted to back SolForge, but didn't find it until after it finished. Now, I'm kind of glad. The terrible client bothers me every time I try to play. Buggy and not responsive.

Derringer
09-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Where's my Scrolls love?

jmard5
09-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Legend of the Cryptids on Android.